• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Triforce of Toon: A Community Toon Link Guide

Musketeer04

Smash Cadet
What I usually do is try and get the boomerang behind my opponent. Then either shoot and arrow, use a zair, or jab them to give them enough hit stun to be hit by my boomerang. Then finish them with a daccus. I only use this when they are at kill percentage.

Anragon

Smash Apprentice
Well if this is going to get started again, I'll quickly re-post what kind of discussion I'm looking for, and if I get enough responses, I will update and we will move it along.

So for example, what Pippy said about using the boomerang to limit options was a great input. What he said was not just what he was doing, but why he did it. He was thinking about how he used his spam. Don't worry if you're still not too sure what the fine line is I'm getting at, just contribute what you can and at least try to tailor it to this line of thought.
Oh I didn't know that, then my previous post is inappropriate, sorry.

Spamming...

While spamming projectiles, I personnaly often try to hold my bomb in hands as long as I can(when it goes yellow) and keep throwing bombs and Boomerangs.
Why ? First, it makes your opponent aware so they may shield, roll or spotdodge more(which are mistakes)

Plus, a Bomb is a much more reliable option for punish : Snake F-tilt you and you shield it ? Throw the bomb at him to punish and begins counter-offensive, thing you can't really do with a N-air.

Also, I agree with boomerang's traps, it's great for setting Up-smash kills.

KT Kasrani

Smash Champion
One of the big things to remember when spamming is to not auto pilot. It's easy to fall into this habit as toon link. just switch up your spam approaches. What I usually try to do it's react off of a bomb hit or try to make my opponent hit my shield. Also I like to use the momentum when someone hits my shield to jump away.

O and if a snake ftilts your shield just grab him. More safer than jumping and throwing a bomb.

:phone:

Anragon

Smash Apprentice
One of the big things to remember when spamming is to not auto pilot. It's easy to fall into this habit as toon link. just switch up your spam approaches. What I usually try to do it's react off of a bomb hit or try to make my opponent hit my shield. Also I like to use the momentum when someone hits my shield to jump away.

O and if a snake ftilts your shield just grab him. More safer than jumping and throwing a bomb.

If the F-tilt is spaced, grab will not work.

Zwei Striker

Smash Apprentice
Well, something I do pretty often is drawing the bomb, then sending a few projectiles, and when the bomb is about to explode I run towards the opponent and kinda invincibomb, though you just airdodge and let the bomb explode by itself. This works wonders for me as a mix up .w.
Also, when I believe my opponent will try and approach running, I SH then throw an angled-down boomerang so the boomerang will bounce and go up, so it won't hit him. This way, it will catch the opponent on the back when it returns, forcing him to try and avoid it. Also, as you throw it down first, it sometimes fools opponents and they jump, getting hit by the boomerang.
I know this are both really situational, but it's the best I can think of.

Clownbaby

Smash Apprentice
Throwing the boomerang to miss is a nice way to corral an opponent and set up frame traps. I like to throw the rang just above them then shoot double arrows and force them to shield while I pull a bomb. If they air dodge the rang they are vulnerable to a quick nair, or they get hit by the arrows, depending on spacing

Anragon

Smash Apprentice
A thing I like to do while spamming is to sometimes charge Arrows.

Uncharged Arrows are, of course, useful because of Quickdraw which complete the spam and maintains the spam rythm.

But, to show you're not only limited to these slow intant arrow's shoots, you can shoot a powerful(in terms of %, the knockback is weak but also interesting) and fast arrow.

It's useful to extent stage control and it completely messes with the opponent's shield timing even against reflectors.

It's a cool way/mindgame to hit the opponent and I dunno why but sometimes it stops completely the match : the opponent is waiting for you to shoot that arrow and you're waiting for him to make a mistake, especially when he's on ledge.

(sorry but my english may be bad, I'm french xD)

Musketeer04

Smash Cadet
This guide was great until it trailed of at the end. It should definitely get finish it here soon. There have been some great posts on the spamming section.

Ok, back to spam, SH backwards and throwing the boomerang against the ground is a good way to keep the opponent away from you because it makes a wall. Then you can follow up with ziar or bomb combos. No quite sure if that was appropriate to the subject or not.

Fox Is Openly Deceptive

Smash Detective
Administrator
BRoomer
Yeah yeah, I see what your saying. Don't worry, I'll finish it -just as soon as I have time. It's not too far away from being done anyway. I might just do the rest by myself and ask for input once it's done, you know, just in case I've missed things. Just wait till the end of this semester XD. Feel free to talk about up-coming topics till then.

Musketeer04

Smash Cadet
Ok, that's a good idea. I wasn't trying to be mean or anything, because it is a great guide and it would help a lot of people trying to main Toon Link. I recently started to look on smashboards and I wanted to see other people thoughts on how to use spam (mainly bombs). All i do for bombs I just throw it at my opponent and maybe follow up with a zair/nair if they are at low percents or a uair or fair if they are at high percents.

Anragon

Smash Apprentice
I have a question, maybe it's inappropriate.

How to use Ground Up-B ? It deals good damage, I wish I could use it properly.

southpaw

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4442-0022-4229
grounded up-b is an amazing move until the opponent smash di's through it and punishes you for hitting them. It beats spotdodge punishes landings on both sides and can be used while holding a bomb, and one of our fastest Oos options, but its never guaranteed to work

Anragon

Smash Apprentice
For punish ? Okay, i'll try to keep this in mind.
It can refresh your moves so I think up-b can be good to use sometimes and 12% of damage is always cool.

Fox Is Openly Deceptive

Smash Detective
Administrator
BRoomer
People lost interest, I lost motivation. Perhaps more to the point, the people who needed to be contributing in order for this thread to actually function as a guide for everyone else, i.e. the ones who know what they're talking about and can back it up with experience, stopped posting.
As a side note, I happened to think about this thread the other day and I wasn't convinced that finishing it was even necessary anymore...

That said, I'm always willing to get it done just as soon as everyone else is, which is, like, probably never XD. I dunno. I have some spare time this week. If I think of it I'll get something done, even just for the sake of justifying the “work in progress” part of the title.

I mean, I could always just go ahead and write it all, but I've never felt that I would be justified in doing so, and the last thing I'd want to do is write up incorrect or misleading information, especially in the context of a guide. And that's why I stopped writing once I stopped getting input from the right sources. I knew this was likely to happen and that's why I had originally planned it to be a project for the tbr.

Chsal

Smash Journeyman
LOL holy crap for the longest time I thought this was the same thread as the AT thread and that it was finished.

But yea it's never going to get finished unless we get a lot of input from the top TLs (most of whom are retired/casual players now I think?). Otherwise it won't be good enough. Just for the "current topic" (spamming) alone I could probably count on 1 hand the number of TLs who actually do it right. It takes too much creative thinking T.T ... It used to be so easy back when nobody knew how to get past Zair =/. Now people actually know how to get past our stuff if you auto-pilot.

Top Bottom