• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Tomb Raider: Lara Croft's Manor

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152

Tomb Raider (2013) and Temple of Osiris are FREE on Steam for a limited time. Just add them to your account before March 24th and they are yours forever.

MrElectroG64

Smash Journeyman
Hey everyone, I'm back again with an updated version of my Lara Croft moveset.
I felt like the first one I made really honestly sucked, at least visually, so I decided to completely redo the image all this time later, as well as update a few things within it here and there, though it is indeed largely the same.

Lara Croft Moveset.jpg

Here's a link to it on Flickr in case it's too hard to read, as some of my images seem to get horribly bit crushed here sometimes, lol: https://www.flickr.com/photos/184893183@N07/50063075687/in/dateposted-public/

Last edited:

YsDisciple

Smash Lord
Greetings everyone. I support the OG raider of tombs for Smash. Btw, saw this bit of news come up. Although they speak of it being a 4chan leak, someone on Twitter posted an image of what seems to be a collection of the original trilogy of the Tomb Raider games.
There was a problem fetching the tweet

Lionfranky

Smash Lord
That's assuming whether SE wants to push Tomb Raider. I'm sure Sakurai is aware of legacy of Tomb Raider. But, does Nintendo want to push? It's hard to say. I hope BS "Japan" argument wouldn't work on Lara.

Oldhead

Smash Rookie
I'm here to voice my support for Lara Croft, one of the most iconic video game characters of all time. Outside of Mario, Sonic, Pac Man, and a few others, she has one of the most recognizable names among non-gamers, and I've always thought she should have more support for Smash.

It's kind of strange that she is now owned by Square, which muddies the water a little bit when there are a lot of other big names wanted for Smash that are under the Square umbrella. If she got in there would be a lot of cool Eidos/SE Europe content that could get in as spirits/mii costumes, including Deus Ex and Thief. I'd love this rumored collection to be true for the Switch, would love to see Tomb Raider make it in.

MA_DA_Oh

Smash Cadet
I'd like a moveset that represents the whole "tomb raider" aspect, adventurer-like.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Honestly, I think we won't hear about the Ultimate Experience collection until Gamescom, assuming it's not an elaborate hoax for the purpose of trolling the fanbase, for some weird reason. Both the event and the game's release dates match up.

Last edited:

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
So how do you guys view Lara's chances right now? While I don't think she is the most likely Square-Enix rep, I think no one should sleep on her.
Pretty much this.

She's a super iconic character and would be a huge addition to the Smash roster but she's not really on many people's radars as a contender for Smash unlike Sora for example. She's one of those characters that would make a whole lot of sense to be added but she also feels like one the devs could easily skip over without much notice, mainly because she just doesn't have the same fan backing behind her to be added as a fighter like a lot of third party characters.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
It's unfortunate because in many people's eyes they think she won't bring anything interesting to the table. It's all powers and abilities hence Sora, Geno, and such over her.
Lara would be the closest thing we could get to Indiana Jones in the game and I don't see why other people can't picture that even if they don't want her. She would definitely bring a unique play style that hasn't been seen yet in Smash.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
Congrats to our blocky friend, hopefully we can see an archaeologist join them soon!

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I'm just a huge icon of the series. It broke ground for so many reasons, including the success of her movies.
I think she is the next Square character I would want--- though that's saying a LOT as Sora would also be breaking.

The things I'd like to play around with more are movesyle. We don't need huge gimmicks, but variety in gameplay helps. I initially thought directing a double pistol would give her this, but Min MIn has somewhat of this style. So, what else might it be?

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
Happy Birthday to Tomb Raider!

Last edited:

Ornl

Smash Ace
2lara lq.jpg

Happy birthday !

I changed my mind (subjectivity alert!).
In my opinion, Lara's chances are 15%.

Ultimate collection With Crash Bandicoot, Lara Croft is the only one to have 2 representations in Totaku collection figures, because they are ideal for a complete and ultimate collection. Alongside the games : Mario / Super Mario Kart - Donkey Kong - The Legend of Zelda - Pokémon Red & Green - Sonic the Hedgehog - Pac-Man - Street Fighter II - Final Fantasy VII - and now Minecraft, Tomb Raider is inducted in the World Video Game Hall of Fame as a ultimate video game. Lara Croft would be a good reason Smash hasn't included a 3rd-party 100% female since Bayonetta.

Ultimate trampling on Sony – Each 'Playstation' rep (Snake, Cloud, Bayonetta, Joker, Luminary) can be a strategic move to regain the advantage against Sony. Each Microsoft and SNK rep (Banjo, Terry, Steve) can be exclusive alliances with a collateral effect to exclude Sony further. Either way, Smash Bros Ultimate could be a trump card against Sony. If Ultimate has refused Altair, Heihachi, Monster Hunter, Rayman, Resident Evil rep (and Tales rep?), then this is proof that taking icons from the Playstation isn't a sufficient argument, and that Smash is above this side. Nonetheless, along with the other advantages regarding Crash and Lara Croft, this one can count.

Ultimate company to represent a heroine Mana / Final Fantasy has always given great roles to female characters, from Mystic Quest to today, through the very important roles in FF VII, FF XIII and FF: The Spirits Within. About Life is Strange, publishers wanted to change protagonists into men, but "Square is basically the only publisher that didn't want to change a single thing about the game"*. Squenix develops/developed Bravely Default, Final Fantasy, Parasite Eve and Tomb Raider, and edits/edited Cooking Mama, Life is Strange and NieR, series with remarkable female protagonists compared to other companies Bamco, Capcom, Sega, SNK and Koei Tecmo. If Smash were to receive a 2nd 3rd-party 100% female Fighter after Bayonetta, Squenix might be the ultimate company, and Lara Croft might be having the honor of representing Squenix's feminist position.

Other Squenix candidates aren't a threat – In my opinion, Space Invaders have a better chance, but I can (today) consider that the aliens and Lara can both come. Geno and Sora wouldn't have a better chance, but if they did, I think Squenix might have 2 reps in this pass, because Lara Croft's origin is gaijin.
There are Lara Croft's costumes in Animal Crossing: New Horizons

Last edited:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I made a Tomb Raider mockup of a playstyle. I think this would make her stand out in all the right ways. Links at the bottom for some of the ideas I referenced in my moveset.

LARA CROFT

Style: ACTION SURVIVAL

Standard Special: Dual Pistols. Lara holds B and rapidly fires her pistols. Once she hits a target, it locks on. When locked onto a target, she cannot Shield or Dodge without releasing B. However, if she does use the Sheild button, this gives her the ability to lock onto a second target if near first target, and each of the two targets gets hit at half speed (as they each only have one pistol locked on). Lara has full mobility while shooting.

Side Special: Bow and Arrow; Lara can press the combination multiple times to switch arrow types, indicated by a meter on the bottom. The options are
  • Standard Arrow (slightly faster than others)
  • Fire Arrow (slightly more damage)
  • Poison Arrow (Damage that lngers)
  • Explosive Arrow (Slightly More Radius of Damage
  • Piercing Arrow (can go through opponent and hit multiple)

UP Special: Skilled Climber. Lara throws out a grappling hook. It is longer than the average tether grab, and Is able to be aimed. If it lands, Lara climbs up the rope, and then can continue to climb up the stage by another half of the rope’s length.

Down Special: Endure. Lara Croft is known to survive, and this move helps her in multiple ways. For several frames once pressed, Lara will enter an invincible mode. This will mean she can survive a couple of hits without taking damage or knockback, break a counter used on her, move through rapid fire attacks. It is also can be used to help her survive for slighter longer when swimming, and can be used passively as protection from stage hazards as well.

Links of inspiration:

Last edited:

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
Happy Birthday to Tomb Raider 3!

YsDisciple

Smash Lord
So Square just tweeted this about an hour ago. Although it's a mobile game, it's a start at least. I like the design tho.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
Square tweeted Tomb Raider 4's Anniversary yesterday, marking yet another Anniversary back to back after the 2 and 3 Anniversaries.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
Crossing our fingers.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I don't get it. I'm trying to pin point why Lara Croft is lacking in support. Is it because of move set appeal, is it that she's behind Geno, Crash?
I have no idea. She has rapidly become one of my most wanted.
I'll edit this post to put my moveset into it.

I'D LOVE FEEDBACK

LARA CROFT

Style: ACTION SURVIVAL

Standard Special:
Dual Pistols. Lara holds B and rapidly fires her pistols. Once she hits a target, it locks on. When locked onto a target, she cannot Shield or Dodge without releasing B. However, if she does use the Shield button, this gives her the ability to lock onto a second target if they are near the first target, and each of the two targets gets hit at half speed (as they each only have one pistol locked on). Lara has full mobility while shooting.

Side Special: Bow and Arrow. Lara can press the combination multiple times to switch arrow types, indicated by a meter on the bottom. The options are
  • Standard Arrow (slightly faster than others)
  • Fire Arrow (slightly more damage)
  • Poison Arrow (Damage that lngers)
  • Explosive Arrow (Slightly More Radius of Damage
  • Piercing Arrow (can go through opponent and hit multiple)

Up Special: Skilled Climber. Lara throws out a grappling hook. It is longer than the average tether grab, and Is able to be aimed. If it lands, Lara climbs up the rope, and then can continue to climb up the stage by another half of the rope’s length, regardless of the angle. The hook will also cause average damage if it lands on an opponent, and will push them out of the way to securely attach to a ledge if Lara is in the air.

Down Special: Endure. Lara is known to survive, and this move helps her in multiple ways. For several frames once pressed, Lara will enter an invincible mode. This will mean she can survive a couple of hits without taking damage or knockback, break a counter used on her, move through rapid fire attacks. It is also used passively to help her survive for slighter longer when swimming, and passively keeps her from taking damage or effect from stage hazards.

In stark contrast to other characters, and to emphasize that Lara is a human thrown into other worldy adventures- her Smash attacks, not her specials, will use animations of the items in her more magical explorations- though they will not be as versatile as her specials.

Links of inspiration:

Last edited:

Oddball

Smash Lord
Down Special: Endure. Lara is known to survive, and this move helps her in multiple ways. For several frames once pressed, Lara will enter an invincible mode. This will mean she can survive a couple of hits without taking damage or knockback, break a counter used on her, move through rapid fire attacks. It is also used passively to help her survive for slighter longer when swimming, and passively keeps her from taking damage or effect from stage hazards.
There has to be some kind of big downside to this one.

For an intro, I can see her examining some valuable relic, only to look up, throw it ovber her shoulder and draw her guns.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
There has to be some kind of big downside to this one.

For an intro, I can see her examining some valuable relic, only to look up, throw it ovber her shoulder and draw her guns.
I kind of took it to be like a Star Item.
Except the more you used it, the worst the endure got.

Top Bottom