• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Tomb Raider: Lara Croft's Manor

zipzapsparkle

Smash Journeyman
It’s weird her support isn’t louder, she has all the credentials. I’d really like to see her.

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
It’s weird her support isn’t louder, she has all the credentials. I’d really like to see her.
It may have something to do with the fact that on the surface she's quite unremarkable. For those more unfamiliar with Tomb Raider it's hard to see a moveset that translates to Smash in a more interesting way as opposed to characters like Sora or Crash Bandicoot. It probably doesn't help that she's also seen moreso as a Western icon, where she just seems to go under the radar of the Japanese audience, and that she wouldn't make as big of a splash as characters like Master Chief and Doomguy who are part of companies that at one time had pretty much nothing to do with Nintendo. Master Chief and Doomguy also don't have the first problem that Lara has.

Ornl

Smash Ace
It may have something to do with the fact that on the surface she's quite unremarkable. For those more unfamiliar with Tomb Raider it's hard to see a moveset that translates to Smash in a more interesting way as opposed to characters like Sora or Crash Bandicoot. It probably doesn't help that she's also seen moreso as a Western icon, where she just seems to go under the radar of the Japanese audience, and that she wouldn't make as big of a splash as characters like Master Chief and Doomguy who are part of companies that at one time had pretty much nothing to do with Nintendo. Master Chief and Doomguy also don't have the first problem that Lara has.
I support the assumption that Crash can never have an original moveset :p Each Crash feature is already represented by other Fighters in Ultimate. The best example is the spin attack, a special attack, used by many platformer characters as a special attack (Donkey Kong, Ice Climber, Meta Knight...) or a simple attack (like Mega-Man).
Lara Croft is a human without superpower, but that doesn't mean that she is without original potential. According to Google Trends about western series in Japan, Tomb Raider is at the same level of popularity as Halo, DOOM and Crash Bandicoot, and is more popular than Shantae/Rayman/Shovel Knight/Banjo-Kazooie who appear in Ultimate.

Western series popularity ranking in Japan according to Google Trends
Dragon Quest
> Monster Hunter > Minecraft > Final Fantasy > Tales of > Metal Gear / Persona > Megaman / Tekken > Overwatch > Street Fighter > Project Zero > UNDERTALE > Assassin's Creed > The King of Fighters > SimCity > Bayonetta > Sonic > Bomberman > Castlevania > Halo > Pac-Man > Tomb Raider > Virtua Fighter / Tower of Druaga / DOOM > Crash Bandicoot > Ganbare Goemon > The Elder Scrolls > Shantae > Raving Rabbids > Rayman > Shovel Knight > Banjo-Kazooie.

And above all...

zipzapsparkle

Smash Journeyman
If this is true then why are there so many requests for Lloyd Irving, Byleth, etc? Although her being a western icon makes sense.

Jomosensual

Smash Champion
I support Lara for sure. She's one of the biggest icons in video games and that alone warrants consideration at least

Aetheri

Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
If this is true then why are there so many requests for Lloyd Irving, Byleth, etc? Although her being a western icon makes sense.
I'm not familiar with Lloyd or the Tales of series so I can't say, all I know is he uses two swords...as for Byleth being a first party character gives him/her a lot more of an advantage as well as the precedence set with Corrin, plus he/she uses a whip sword which is a unique weapon.

Last edited:

zipzapsparkle

Smash Journeyman
I'm not familiar with Lloyd or the Tales of series so I can't say, all I know is he uses two swords...as for Byleth being a first party character gives him/her a lot more of an advantage as well as the precedence set with Corrin, plus he/she uses a whip sword which is a unique weapon.
Lara uses a bigger arsenal of weapons than both Lloyd and Byleth. A moveset to stand out from the cast is not a problem for her.

Aetheri

Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
Lara uses a bigger arsenal of weapons than both Lloyd and Byleth. A moveset to stand out from the cast is not a problem for her.
I know...but those unfamiliar with her may not think so.

YsDisciple

Smash Lord
Sign me up as a supporter. :) The Tomb Raider series, although I only played Legends, I remember reading up on the first games when they came out via videogame magazines (GamePro). Also, back in the Melee days, I remember talking to a friend of mine who was REALLY into Tomb Raider about Lara Croft being added to Super Smash Bros. At the time she made a thread at some site to try and gather supporters; however back in the day, a character like Lara Croft for Smash (Melee) seemed impossible; ludicrous! Fast-forward to the present day, I believe Lara would make a big splash if she were revealed either as DLC Fighter #5, or one of the DLC Fighters coming afterwards. In this entry of the Super Smash Bros. series where icons from other franchises, third parties, are coming together; leaving her out would be a disservice to her legacy.

In regards to her adaptation in Smash Bros. Ultimate, it'd be cool of her model is based off from her first games in the series. Of course, with some creative redesigns but, that she'd be represented as the classic, OG Lara Croft. One (or four) of her alt skins could have her wearing her iconic round shades from TR 3.

Night Gale

Smash Ace
Tomb Raider is the series that got me into gaming as a young girl, after watching my older sister play it way back when and trying to help her out with the puzzles. It took us forever to beat that sh*t but I was encouraged to do so and we had a lot of fun and it was immersive as hell. Tomb Raider wasn't the first video game that we owned but it was the first one to grab my attention. I looked up to Lara; she's clever, resolute, talented, and coordinated. She's a total badass and always has been.

Sign me up!!!!

Last edited:

Lionfranky

Smash Lord
I would like to post a video, but how do I do that here? I am not used to image and video formatting in this site. Sorry for off topic. I also have a video to share related to Lara.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
I would like to post a video, but how do I do that here? I am not used to image and video formatting in this site. Sorry for off topic. I also have a video to share related to Lara.
[ media=youtube ] delete everything up to v= [ /media ]

*without spaces
Works the same way with embedded tweets as well, just put twitter at the beginning next to media instead of youtube.

Lionfranky

Smash Lord
Still keep failing... I don't know why.

Video in question.

Edit: Fixed. Thanks.

Last edited:

Night Gale

Smash Ace
Still keep failing... I don't know why.

Video in question. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xYpLbUBTsOU&t=51s
There's a shortcut. When you make a reply, look for the ... tab next to the selectable emojis in the reply box. Click it then select Media.

After that, copy the YouTube link then paste it. Select continue when you're finished.

The video you tried to post:

It worked for me.

Last edited:

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
I support Lara's inclusion. She's pretty much the biggest character that Square Enix owns that isn't in Smash yet. It would be a shame to not put the most iconic female video game character in Smash.

I also made a moveset for her:

NEUTRAL SPECIAL: DUAL PISTOLS

Lara wields dual pistols as her neutral special. Before you shout Joker at my face, hear me out. Joker's gun has him fire a shot and then he either keeps shooting if you hold the button or he awkwardly moves from his place or he jumps. For Lara I suggest she can move freely with her dual pistols, kinda like Mega Man's pellets. Unlike Joker the rate of fire and range will be much higher. The bullets would cover a longer distance than Joker, with the knockback kicking in half way through. Think of the move as a combination of Mega Man's pellets and Joker's gun.

SIDE SPECIAL: BOW

The side special would be her firing an arrow from her bow. And before you shout Link at my face, I have an idea to make the move different. If you hold down the shield button and then press B you would open a menu of different arrows that you can pick and use. The default arrow is the silent arrow, it deals normal damage and has an unlimited number of uses. There are the poison arrows, which if hit would deal 13% of damage over time and the number of arrows is 10. There are the fire arrows, which have a similair usage to Young Link's arrows in that they send the opponent upwards to set up for combos, the number of arrows is 15. Lara also has the grenade arrows, which deals the highest knockback compared to all the arrows and can be used as kill options, the number of arrows is 5. And finally there are the Armor Piercing arrows, these arrows pass through opponents and projectiles, which means they can hit multiple opponents. These arrows can also pierce the opponent while they're shielding, making them great poking tools. The number of arrows is 10.

UP SPECIAL: GRAPPLE AXE

The up special would be Lara swinging her Grapple Axe upwards. It's a tether recovery that is similair in use to Joker's hook. One difference however is that if it hits an opponent, instead of bringing them towards her like Joker, Lara would swing using the rope in an arc until she's almost behind the opponent in which then she'll kick them flying in the opposite direction above her.

DOWN SPECIAL: PROXIMITY POISON GAS MINE

Her down special would be her planting a proximity poison gas mine. It's similair to Snake's C4 except instead of a regular explosion it deals poison damage to the opponent instead. If an opponent comes close to the mine then it will automatically detonate and trigger a poisonous gas. The mine can also be remotely detonated to trigger the gas. If triggered, the move deals 16% over time quickly. The purpose of the move is to be an area of denial move that limits the opponents movement. Combine the gas mine with her poison arrows and you will find Lara dealing tons of damage over time.

UserKev

Smash Champion
Lara Croft is one of the last non filler-y third party. I'm also interested in a Tomb Raider stage. I believe she doesn't need wholeheartly support. Her reveal will be phenomenon.

Wolfie557

Witch-King of the North
3DS FC
3153-4071-1007
Switch FC
SW 3128 8188 4021
Shes the biggest female character left not in smash and the first female icon.

Very underappreciated by smash fans.

zipzapsparkle

Smash Journeyman
Regardless if she makes it or not I really want her games on the switch. I’m only rooting for very few characters and she’s one of them.

scoobymcsnack

Smash Journeyman
Not very familiar with the Tomb Raider series, but I recognize that she was a pretty big icon, especially in the PS1 days, and is one of the most iconic video game females. I support her!

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
I'll throw in my support. I just started playing Tomb Raider Anniversary and I've been enjoying it a lot so far. Lara is one of the most iconic characters in gaming so she is well-deserving of a spot in Smash.

Last edited:

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion
With the new fighter pass opening up more possibilities for a square-Enix character, I think Lara is an underrated character in terms of smash speculation and I support her.

I can think of very few game originated characters that have entered the mainstream quite like Lara Croft, and I think her inclusion in smash would be a hit even if she’s not as widely requested or thought of in speculation.

Outside of Lara Croft herself, what do you think would be the stage, music selection, and spirits for the Tomb Raider franchise?

Night Gale

Smash Ace
Spirits: Female Corrin as Jacqueline Natla, Female Robin as Amanda Evert, Zero Suit Samus as Ana, Mario as Jonah Maiava, Dr. Mario as Dr. Pedro Dominguez with Marth assisting because he's a prince, Lucina as Samantha Nisshimura, and a team of Snakes as Trinity Soldiers.

Stage: Maria Doria would be the coolest **** ever.

Though Super Smash would most likely go with the Colosseum or an Egyptian Temple/Sanctuary.

Last edited:

Night Gale

Smash Ace
Oh s*** I forgot about music! Natla's theme is essential.

As well as the original main theme.

Other than that, I expect a couple of songs from the old games originally composed by Nathan McCree; it would be amazing if they reached out to him to compose a remix of the first Main Theme - or a main theme medley - and an orchestrated version of orchestrated version of Gruesome Encounter (the T-Rex theme). If that's too much of a problem, they can pull songs from Tomb Raider Anniversary.

I also expect the regular version of the 2013 reboot main theme at least. Depending on how generous
they are, we might get newer songs like Blood in the Snow from Rise of the Tomb Raider and Hope from Shadow of the Tomb Raider (perfect melancholic song for the Classic Mode end credits).

Last edited:

ErenJager

Smash Champion
Everyone's always talking about how they want a female character for dlc.
Yet this thread has incredibly low activity for the best female video game ever.

Lionfranky

Smash Lord
Everyone's always talking about how they want a female character for dlc.
Yet this thread has incredibly low activity for the best female video game ever.
Right... if only they focus on this thread more.. I think Lara also got Japan problem covered. She should be pretty well known even in Japan.

ErenJager

Smash Champion
Maybe with the Geno and Chocobo mii outfit and hat being held back... is indicative that perhaps... just maybe... another Square Enix character is in the pipeline. Maybe it'll be Lara Croft.

mynameisBlade

Smash Lord
I'll say this loud and proud. Lara Croft is CRIMINALLY UNDERRATED, especially for Smash Bros!! She is right up there with the likes of Princess Peach, Chun-li, Samus, and Zelda. She is my most wanted female fighter hands down. I hope she makes it IF we finally get a stand alone female.

Last edited:

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
I'm glad Brawlhalla gave Lara separate costumes for classic and new design. Makes me hopeful that Sakurai will do the same if she made it into Smash.

Last edited:

Oddball

Smash Lord
I'm glad Brawlhalla gave Lara separate costumes for classic and new design. Makes me hopeful that Sakurai will do the same if she made it into Smash.
I'd actually like to see it taken a step further for costumes.

Regular Lara
Reboot Lara
Angel of Darkness Lara in her black outfit
The brown Legends outfit

She's had a bunch of outfits. Anything could round out the last four slots. The wetsuit and her Nevada Camo could also be nice.

Lionfranky

Smash Lord
I'd actually like to see it taken a step further for costumes.

Regular Lara
Reboot Lara
Angel of Darkness Lara in her black outfit
The brown Legends outfit

She's had a bunch of outfits. Anything could round out the last four slots. The wetsuit and her Nevada Camo could also be nice.
Black dress won't be in because of "good boys and girls."
Legend outfit will be just alternate outfit for classic Lara.

Dorayaki

Smash Journeyman
Not sure about her actual chance, but a female gaming icon would be a very neat choice for 3rd parties.

Top Bottom