• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Tomb Raider: Lara Croft's Manor

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
I still cannot believe Lara Croft is not mentioned in newcomer prediction lists at all. She is literally the most iconic female video game character and should be in Smash. They are so close to having all the console war characters in one game. Just put her in there.
It's missing crash too but yeah

Well how many Nintendo consoles has she been on question mark

She might be like Cloud popular but wasn’t really on Nintendo so she wasn’t talk about period
The legend games (Legend, anniversary and underworld) were on GC and Wii, shame the new ones couldn't be on nintendo systems cause the wii u exists. But yeah it's understandable why she isn't talked about as much.

AlexEptit

Smash Rookie
Hi, really new to the Tomb Raider franchise. Been meaning to get into it for a while, watched the new movie a couple weeks ago and loved it, immediately bought the first of the rebooted games and just finished it. I know I still don’t know that much about the series and it’s history, but I would still love to see Lara in smash, and I love that in the past week or so I’ve been seeing a small increase in discussion about her. I know her biggest hurdle is a lack of popularity in Japan, but she is undeniably one of the most iconic names in video game history, and she has plenty of appearances on a variety of Nintendo consoles as well. And unlike some characters (cough, King K Rool), she’s still very relevant. In any case, I’m looking forward to playing more of her games, both the old and the new. But I think she’s earned a spot alongside fellow gaming icons such as Mario, Link, Samus, and Pikachu in the Smash Bros roster. There aren’t many third party characters that I think deserve a slot as much as she does, and certainly none that I want as much as her.

smashingDoug

Smash Lord
It's missing crash too but yeah

The legend games (Legend, anniversary and underworld) were on GC and Wii, shame the new ones couldn't be on nintendo systems cause the wii u exists. But yeah it's understandable why she isn't talked about as much.
Oh! the best ones then.

Won’t lie I got burned out fast on the new tomb Raider gamers.

I don’t see how beating the crap out of Lara makes her a good strong female character. One or two games That style was enough, I want triple jumping Lara back

Last edited:

Kirbeh

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
Since the subject of which design to go with is still prevalent I was thinking about what design you guys think Square would push for. Different companies and different situations obviously, but Sakurai did have to fight Namco on getting classic :ultpacman: given that they wanted to him to use the Ghostly Adventures design. So I could similarly see Square push for modern Lara since it's relevant to the current TR games and would serve as advertising in their eyes.

In the event that Sakurai decided on Lara, I think he'd probably fight them on that too as he did for Pac-Man, but do you think Square would be willing to budge? After all Namco only conceded once Sakurai gave the ultimatum of classic Pac or no Pac at all when it came to Smash 3DS/Wii U.

I can somewhat see Square saying "Ok, pick someone else then." Given her lack of presence in Japan, they may even be quite content with shifting focus to a different character/franchise. Though that lack it also a huge obstacle to her possibly being considered in the first place. I'm just rambling now though, so I'll end it there.

Last edited:

Arsh99

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Arsh99
Since the subject of which design to go with is still prevalent I was thinking about what design you guys think Square would push for. Different companies and different situations obviously, but Sakurai did have to fight Namco on getting classic :ultpacman: given that they wanted to him to use the Ghostly Adventures design. So I could similarly see Square push for modern Lara since it's relevant to the current TR games and would serve as advertising in their eyes.

In the event that Sakurai decided on Lara, I think he'd probably fight them on that too as he did for Pac-Man, but do you think Square would be willing to budge? After all Namco only conceded once Sakurai gave the ultimatum of classic Pac or no Pac at all when it came to Smash 3DS/Wii U.

I can somewhat see Square saying "Ok, pick someone else then." Given her lack of presence in Japan, they may even be quite content with shifting focus to a different character/franchise. Though that lack it also a huge obstacle to her possibly being considered in the first place. I'm just rambling now though, so I'll end it there.
I think they would pull a Cloud and go half anf half with her updated design from the reboot, but her original design as the main one.

KHJason95

Smash Cadet
NNID
KHJason20
Switch FC
SW-4391-8530-5723
I would love to see this happen! I'd even buy her for 5.99!

DNeon

Smash Lord
NNID
D_Neon_Lamp
Rumours of an Enix rep are still going strong for DLC, do people rate Lara's chances or are we going to be seeing Sora/Geno?

leprechaunlink727

Smash Ace
I think people are sleeping on Lara. She has way more potential to be unique and generate hype for gamers at large than any of the other potential Square reps. She's a HUGE character, absolutely as iconic as the other third parties and arguably far more so than Bayonetta. I think she would be a really strong start for dlc, be pretty surprising, and bring in an interesting new franchise. I support.

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
I could potentially see the first and maybe the second rebooted Tomb Raider games getting ported to the Switch at some point, tbh.

Tomb Raider has a decent amount of titles on Nintendo platforms but none since Square bought the IP, but seeing as Square is showing a decent amount of support on the Switch, so I can see the first two games at least getting ported, probably not the third yet since it's still fairly recent. Maybe even port some of the classic games as well. Since that's what they seem to be doing with Final Fantasy atm. It's been a while since I've been mauled by a tiger in Tomb Raider 2.

Of course to go with her Smash DLC.

Mask and Mirror

Smash Apprentice
Honestly I'm not a fan of the series, but if Smash is to become a museum of gaming history, she's essential.

Ornl

Smash Ace
I support.

It would be conceivable to create a gameplay adapted to Lara Croft: double guns (iconic but indispensable knife), knife, bow, grapple, rope trap, climbing ax, flaming torch, gasoline torch, artifacts, agility and sporty lightness...

Last edited:

Ornl

Smash Ace
Milk-BOSATU Female DLC Fighter leak
https://www.ssbwiki.com/list_of_rumors#Milk-BOSATU_Female_DLC_fighter_leak

I don't say that I believe in this theory, I share it for fun.

On October 11th, 2018, Twitter user Milk-BOSATU posted a few leaks for the then-upcoming Ultimate, such as the upcoming release of some form of VR, as well as the inclusion of Dragon Quest's Hero characters without any female costumes.
On December 14th, 2018, this was followed up with a claim that a female character would be appearing as a playable DLC Fighter in the Fighters Pass.
On June 2019, Milk-BOSATU made a tweet claiming his sources came from his friend named Mr. H who visited Nintendo and saw the female character in development, claiming that she looks like she comes from a game of the fighting genre. He made a new tweet stating that she holds a throwing weapon like a hammer or a boomerang, and another tweet about the female character's model what Mr. H saw describing that the woman doesn't have color at all and he didn't see her face (probably from a 3D software).

lara glimb.jpg

"weapon like a hammer or a boomerang"

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Tomb Raider is Square-Enix's 3rd best selling franchise with 77 million in sales, which is just less than a million in sales compared to the Dragon Quest franchise. Why is Lora so overlooked and slept on to the Smash community? I know Geno and Sora are a butt ton more popular than Lora in terms of Smash requests, but why is she so overlooked to the point she isn't even mention in discussions in speculation regarding Square-Enix characters?

MrElectroG64

Smash Journeyman
Tomb Raider is Square-Enix's 3rd best selling franchise with 77 million in sales, which is just less than a million in sales compared to the Dragon Quest franchise. Why is Lora so overlooked and slept on to the Smash community? I know Geno and Sora are a butt ton more popular than Lora in terms of Smash requests, but why is she so overlooked to the point she isn't even mention in discussions in speculation regarding Square-Enix characters?
Probably because “muh sexiness” or they just flat out haven’t played her games.

Ornl

Smash Ace
Her main problem is that she is gaijin (western).

Ornl

Smash Ace
Popularity ranking according to Google Trends
This is a popularity comparison based on Google searches, although this isn't enough and the comparison criteria aren't always fair. Google is the most used search engine in the US, Europe and Japan (+90%), and is therefore mainly representative of searches on the web. A Google search also makes something unknown become known. Like or don't like a series have the same result to advance the series in the popular culture.
With Google Trends, it would have been easy to predict SMT/Persona, Dragon Quest and, to a lesser extent, The King of Fighters.

______
Abc
: third-party series represented by Fighters.
Abc: third-party series represented by Assist Trophees or Mii Costumes.
Abc: other series whose the original companies aren't already represented neither Western nor cross-media.
Abc: other series whose the original companies are already represented or Western or cross-media.
It is considered that the 3 cross-media series are Digimon, Tamagotchi and Yo-kai Watch.

In the World
Minecraft > Overwatch > Final Fantasy > Halo > Sonic / Resident Evil > Assassin's Creed > Pac-Man > Dragon Quest > Monster Hunter > Souls > UNDERTALE / Kingdom Hearts > DOOM > Metal Gear > Street Fighter > Megaman / Tomb Raider > Tekken > SimCity > Digimon > The King of Fighters > Tales of > Touhou Project > The Elder Scrolls / Persona / Devil May Cry / Yo-kai Watch > Harvest Moon > Crash Bandicoot > Dynasty Warriors > Bomberman > Tamagotchi > Castlevania > Professor Layton > Yakuza > SoulCalibur > Rayman > Dead or Alive / Ace Attorney > Phantasy Star > Ninja Gaiden > Ys > Space Invaders / Suikoden > Disgaea / Guilty Gear > Project Zero > Okami > Bayonetta > NieR > Puyo Puyo > Raving Rabbids > Bubble Bobble > Mystery Dungeon > Shovel Knight > Katamari > Banjo-Kazooie > Virtua Fighter > Sakura Wars > No More Heroes / Momotaro Dentetsu > The Tower of Druaga > Ganbare Goemon / Shantae > Street Gangs.
Tomb Raider = Megaman > The King of Fighters > Persona > Castlevania > Bayonetta > Banjo-Kazooie.

In Japan
Dragon Quest
> Monster Hunter > Yo-kai Watch > Minecraft > Final Fantasy > Touhou Project > Tales of > Resident Evil > Metal Gear / Persona > Yakuza > Dynasty Warriors / Kingdom Hearts > Megaman / Tekken > Puyo Puyo > Overwatch > Tamagotchi > Ace Attorney > Devil May Cry > Phantasy Star > Street Fighter > Disgaea > Harvest Moon / Digimon > Project Zero > UNDERTALE > Professor Layton > Suikoden > Assassin's Creed > NieR > The King of Fighters / Guilty Gear / Mystery Dungeon: Shiren the Wanderer > SimCity > Bayonetta / Ys > Sakura Wars > Sonic > Momotaro Dentetsu > Okami > Bomberman / Dead or Alive > Castlevania > Souls > Halo > Pac-Man > Tomb Raider > Virtua Fighter / Tower of Druaga / DOOM / SoulCalibur > Ninja Gaiden > Crash Bandicoot > Space Invaders > Ganbare Goemon > The Elder Scrolls > Puzzle Bobble > No More Heroes > Shantae / Street Gangs > Raving Rabbids > Rayman > Shovel Knight > Katamari > Banjo-Kazooie.
Tomb Raider > Banjo-Kazooie.
______

Eastern series ranking by averaging world/japanese results
- Minecraft
01 - Final Fantasy > Dragon Quest > Monster Hunter > Resident Evil > Overwatch > Kingdom Hearts
02 - Metal Gear > Yo-kai Watch
03 - Tales / Touhou Project
- Megaman > Tekken > Persona > Assassin's Creed
04 - Street Fighter > (UNDERTALE) > Dynasty Warriors
05 - Sonic > Digimon > Devil May Cry > Yakuza > Halo
08 - Tamagotchi > Harvest Moon
10 - The King of Fighters / Pac-Man > (SimCity) > Souls > Ace Attorney > Phantasy Star > Professor Layton / DOOM
14 - Tomb Raider / Puyo Puyo / Disgaea / Suikoden
18 - Project Zero / Bomberman > Castlevania / Guilty Gear > Ys > Dead or Alive > NieR / The Elder Scroll > Crash Bandicoot
22 - Bayonetta / Mystery Dungeon / SoulCalibur > Ōkami > Ninja Gaiden > Sakura Wars > Space Invaders > Momotaro Dentetsu / Rayman > Raving Rabbits
29 - Virtua Fighter > The Tower of Druaga / Bubble Bobble > (Shovel Knight) > Ganbare Goemon / No More Heroes > Katamari > (Banjo-Kazooie) > Shantae

Tomb Raider > Castlevania > Bayonetta > Banjo-Kazooie.
If Tomb Raider would be a new series in Smash Bros, it would be ranked 15/24 of all third-party series (without Spirit nor Pac-Man moves), or 10/13 of third-party series having a Fighter.

Last edited:

HyruleHero

Smash Journeyman
I'm here to throw my support in for Lara Croft for smash. With the new DLC coming out and the thus far lack of females I think its time for the most successful female protagonist in gaming to take the stage.

Gouloudrouioul

Smash Rookie
She's part of videogame history as much as sonic or pacman. She is the remaining most well known character for the general public
that's not in the roster. Absolutely no other character would be as representative of videogame as a whole than Lara Croft. She really should be in, now that Sakurai's open intent is to give some love to iconics videogame.
I honestly can not find any character that's more iconic than Lara Croft. If you find one, please tell me x)

[Maple]

Smash Journeyman
I support

She is definitly the most important character of the industry not currently in smash (except Steve from Minecraft). I really want her and I'm a little bit tired when people only talk about Square Enix's JRPGs

Altais

Smash Champion
Starbase, where no turtle has gone before.
I remember when this character was very popular back in the day. I have vague memories of playing the original Tomb Raider and being terrible at it. Could never beat that T-Rex.

Due to her popularity, I can actually see her making it in Smash--although, I don't know what she would do besides fire her guns. Again, I've only played the original Tomb Raider.

12cheeper

Smash Apprentice
I haven't really seen anyone talk about this. What would her stage be if she got into Smash Bros?
Probably a smash interpretation of Croft Manor.Maybe Yamatai if they really wanted to rep the current timeline in some way.

Kirbeh

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
I haven't really seen anyone talk about this. What would her stage be if she got into Smash Bros?
I'd personally hope for Croft Manor but I think a location from one of the reboot titles would be fairly likely. It really depends on whether they focus on classic or reboot TR. Or if they want to try and represent both, maybe even a traveling stage that visits a few locations from both series. Something like; the Lost World > St. Francis' Folly > Yamatai > Siberia, etc. Traveling the world is a big part of Tomb Raider after all so it fits, though I also wonder whether it's feasible for DLC.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I think Lara Croft is the biggest gaming icon, at least in the west that is not in Smash (closely tied with Crash Bandicoot and Doomguy) and who is possible.

The one thing to work out though, is which version to use. Smash not only uses a character's iconic look over the current one, classic Lara Croft is still being used in games today (usually the ones that have her name in it).

I'm not sure what look they'd got for but I could see them basing Lara's moveset off of her original 's acrobatic jumps compared to modern Lara's rock climbing. That said, she sould use the dual climbing axes to wall cling.

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
I think Lara Croft is the biggest gaming icon, at least in the west that is not in Smash (closely tied with Crash Bandicoot and Doomguy) and who is possible.

The one thing to work out though, is which version to use. Smash not only uses a character's iconic look over the current one, classic Lara Croft is still being used in games today (usually the ones that have her name in it).

I'm not sure what look they'd got for but I could see them basing Lara's moveset off of her original 's acrobatic jumps compared to modern Lara's rock climbing. That said, she sould use the dual climbing axes to wall cling.
Her look would likely be based mostly off of her classic look, I reckon, though there's no reason they wouldn't pull the same thing with Cloud and give her an alternate look based on the reboots, probably specifically the first one with her tank and trousers.

Her moveset would have a mix between both merthinks.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Surprisingly enough ever since Terry's announcement I feel Lara's got a decent shot.

There's a reason Terry got in given SNK's legacy and his game franchise being the inspiration for Smash.

Lara being the most recognizable video game female protagonist and icon in the 90's definitely has something going for her. Feel she's being slept on as another Square rep.

ErenJager

Smash Champion
How does this thread not have more pages, replies, and views?
I support Lara Croft.
Video. Game. Icon.

M00NFIRE94

Smash Ace
Being a climber, Lara should have the unique recovery to grab anywhere on the stage with her pickaxe and let her climb back up. She wouldn't have to grab just the ledge like everyone else has to.

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
Though she's not in my 11 character wishlist (the five we got plus 11 to fit the WoL dummy slots), she's certainly my 12th, and I'd be very happy with her.
Best female third party. I support.

Top Bottom