• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The timer?

ShadowLink84

Smash Hero
Not in Brawl for the game offers no time-out clause that's equivalent to a stock.

:059:
You heard it folks, if it ain't programmed into the game, it is NOT a legitimate tactic for winning.
Even though the game runs on stock to determine the winner since percentages causes a bit of an issue, this totally does NOT mean anything.
Even though the game simply cannot determine a winner based on percentage because of the core mechanics, this means we should totally NOT use percentages to determine winner in the event of time out.

We should just abolish the timer completely!
Clearly the timer is not doing its job to force people to approach when most matches are ending in stock loss.
<_<

Ghostbone

Smash Master
The only way to play the game without an artificial time out rule is to play coin mode >.>

And time outs are a legit tactic, the problem is when the game times out, or gets close, when neither player wants it to.

Mr.-0

Smash Ace
...It has no ledges. Look, I'm sorry, but you sound pretty stupid saying that PTAD sucks for MK. >.> It's not Brinstar, it's not even RC, but it's bad for him in the same way that SV is bad for ICs: it's actually really ****ing good for him.
I'd pick a stage that's good for him as long as he can't plank anyday.

Mr.-0

Smash Ace
I'd pick a stage that's good for him as long as he can't plank anyday.

Also, I'm theorytrolling you. I haven't played Brawl in over a year, I have no clue what I'm talking about... I heard JJ and GG wer bad for Mk on some random thread on AiB, and PTAD has no ledges except for this one zone. So I kinda just wanted to put it out there :p

Also, wouldn't it be kinda damn hard for MK to scrouge under the VERY bottom of the blast zone? I mean... his recovery isn't THAT good.

... Is It?

Ghostbone

Smash Master
Also, wouldn't it be kinda damn hard for MK to scrouge under the VERY bottom of the blast zone? I mean... his recovery isn't THAT good.

... Is It?
Do you not know how gliding works? It would be even easier to scrooge if he can go down really far.

Mister Eric

Twitch.tv/MisterbeepEric Twitter: @MisterbeepEric
NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207
Mister-Eric vs:
G.I.M.R.
This game led to G.I.M.R winning the timeout, not by much, with exactly 35 ledge grabs. I still have nightmares about this set. It was my last MLG tourney set lol

Twinkles

Smash Lord
Do you not know how gliding works? It would be even easier to scrooge if he can go down really far.
I think what he's saying is that if you put the blocks at the closest possible point to the bottom blast zone, it would be a LOT harder to scrooge (I thought gliding worked based on how far down Metaknight traveled on not how far down the stage he is located while gliding lol).

Though iunno if it would work. How well does Metaknight scrooge on Pictochat? >->

Cassio

Smash Master
Psycho, you're thinking about things the wrong way. With a timer, it pays to plank while you're winning, and without a timer, it pays to plank while you're losing. We're trying our best to not put the winning player at a disadvantage, because that would be, well, dumb.

Also, Competitive Smash 64 doesn't have a timer because there's no option in the game to have a Stock + Timer match, unfortunately. I'm pretty sure if it was available they'd use it.
Leading in percent doesnt make you anymore of a winner than leading in ground time in this games judgement. This is an irrefutable fact. Youre not punishing a 'winner' or 'loser' for anything since we're the ones coming up with our own definitions of who a winner or loser is.
You heard it folks, if it ain't programmed into the game, it is NOT a legitimate tactic for winning.
Even though the game runs on stock to determine the winner since percentages causes a bit of an issue, this totally does NOT mean anything.
Even though the game simply cannot determine a winner based on percentage because of the core mechanics, this means we should totally NOT use percentages to determine winner in the event of time out.

We should just abolish the timer completely!
Clearly the timer is not doing its job to force people to approach when most matches are ending in stock loss.
<_<
The point is its arbitrary, so the strength of its reasons for continued use are not terribly strong if a better option presents itself.

Akaku94

Smash Journeyman
@Twinkles:

MK can't scrooge on Picto. the stage extends all the way down to the blast zone. It's the top of a pillar rather than a floating island, if that makes sense...

:kirby:

Top Bottom