• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The time it takes for an attack to be performed.

Crystanium

Smash Hero
If the source for frame data is Kurogane Hammer, then we can see how much time we have. If FAF means "first actionable frame", and if that means the amount of frames before another attack can be used, then we can determine the duration of time that would take as well. Because Super Smash Bros. Wii U runs on 60 frames per second, that means the time it takes for 1 frame to pass is 16.666 (. . .) milliseconds. We can round that to 16.67 ms, though. If we use jab 1 as an example, and if that takes 3 frames, then that means jab 1 is out for 50.01 ms. That's faster than the blink of an eye, which takes anywhere between 300 to 400 ms.

This reveals that Sm4sh relies on predictions, not who can press buttons faster. Of course, because this duration of time is so small, this allows you to get in a quick jab and pull back if necessary. If FAF is what it says to be, then it takes 18 frames before Samus can input another action. So let's add those frames with jab 1. By itself, FAF would be 300.06 ms. Blink. Add the 50.01 ms and you have 350.16 ms. Already, not even 1 second has passed. If there is some IASA frame going on between jab 1 and 2, then there will be a difference in time. But if you add these with jab 2, then it totals 450.18 ms. College students had on average 190 ms for visual reaction time. Human Benchmark puts 215 as the median, but points out that monitors, computer latency, and the mouse you're using can affect your score, so take that with a grain of salt.

The list below is the duration of time each attack takes. This will be ignoring FAF. Keep in mind that "ms" below refers to milliseconds, which is one-thousandth of a second, or 1/1,000.

Ground
  • Jab 1: 50.01 ms
  • Jab 2: 100.02 ms
  • Dash attack (early): 133.36 ms
  • Dash attack: 166.7 ms
  • Dash attack (late): 233.38 ms
  • F-tilt (up): 133.36 ms
  • F-tilt: 133.36 ms
  • F-tilt (down): 133.36 ms
  • U-tilt: 250.05 ms
  • D-tilt: 100.02 ms
  • F-smash (up): 166.7 ms
  • F-smash: 166.7 ms
  • F-smash (down): 166.7 ms
  • U-smash (initial through final): 183.37 to 450.09 ms

Last edited by a moderator:

Xygonn

Smash Ace
NNID
xygonn
This is good, but an incomplete story about how long it takes to do stuff, especially because there is about 5 frames of input lag even for a 1 frame move. A lot of the time the reason for frame data mattering is because stuff gets buffered. If you do a nair to jab, there will be X frames in between. If X is more than a certain number it determines if I can even mathematically do something there. Yes, I need to predict the nair to jab to put my input in at the right time, but I also need to know if there is enough gap if I time it right. While predictions and reads do matter, if good frame data didn't help run good buffered strings and options (especially option selects), Ganon would be the best character in the game.

Crystanium

Smash Hero
This is good, but an incomplete story about how long it takes to do stuff, especially because there is about 5 frames of input lag even for a 1 frame move. A lot of the time the reason for frame data mattering is because stuff gets buffered. If you do a nair to jab, there will be X frames in between. If X is more than a certain number it determines if I can even mathematically do something there. Yes, I need to predict the nair to jab to put my input in at the right time, but I also need to know if there is enough gap if I time it right. While predictions and reads do matter, if good frame data didn't help run good buffered strings and options (especially option selects), Ganon would be the best character in the game.
I updated the first part of this thread with the ground attacks for now. I thought mentioning time would be a good idea, simply because frames really don't mean much without something to compare it to. We use time everyday. I understand that there will be input lag and even some frames in between one attack to another. I think using time and having an idea that these attacks are either faster or slower than a blink of an eye helps, since we're using our eyes mostly during game play.

Saykrd

Smash Rookie
I updated the first part of this thread with the ground attacks for now. I thought mentioning time would be a good idea, simply because frames really don't mean much without something to compare it to. We use time everyday. I understand that there will be input lag and even some frames in between one attack to another. I think using time and having an idea that these attacks are either faster or slower than a blink of an eye helps, since we're using our eyes mostly during game play.
I disagree actually. Frames are a more useful unit of measurement than milliseconds because more visual and also more coherently tied to the game itself rather than your personal interpretation of how long something will take. We may use time everyday, but can you actually picture in your head how long 133.33 ms is? Anything below 1 second is pretty hard to gauge. Whereas, you can usually have a good idea of what frame your on or about to be on by simply by looking at the character's animation and timing accordingly.

All of your timing's at that point are going to be pretty much be based on muscle memory from practice and matchup knowledge anyway. Its a lot more beneficial to just think of the game in terms of frames and not worry about small time intervals since the amount of actions you and your opponent can perform is all that's important at the end of the day.

Last edited:

Crystanium

Smash Hero
Saykrd Saykrd What can you compare frames to? If I told you, "This object has a volume of 3 cubic meters", would that mean anything to you if you couldn't get an idea of what 3 m^3 looked like? Our senses work by the milliseconds. Telling me, "This is only 2 frames" out of 60 frames per second would tell me its fast, but I wouldn't know just how fast that is. When I saw the jab 1 having 50.01 ms for its duration, I was surprised. And know that a blink of an eye takes 300 to 400 ms can help us, since we can use our eyes as an indicator.

Top Bottom