• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The "this character deserves to be in smash more than this other one" is a stupid argument

TheFVguy

Smash Apprentice
I've been seeing plenty of ridiculous arguments against Isabelle's inclusion. One of the various arguments is that she doesn't deserve to be in Smash compared to other characters, but honestly, that argument is just completely invalid. Who are you decide that a certain character deserves a spot and not the other? If your response is "That's my opinion", then you have successfully proven my point.

IT. IS. SUBJECTIVE.

Meaning, it entirely relies on your own personal tastes and perspective, making the argument completely invalid and not be able to counter-argue someone's point.

Another detail to point out is how people think she isn't "hype enough" or "Animal Crossing doesn't deserve more than one rep". As I mentioned earlier, that's completely on you and others who share the same opinion.

Now, I am not saying that you should be happy for her announcement; don't get me wrong, you can be disappointed if you wanted another character all you want, I don't care, however, that doesn't you mean using these type of arguments against her inclusion proves something, cause at the end of the day, it is just ridiculously complaining and simply showcasing your opinion in a way that makes you look like a jerk.

D

Deleted member

Yeah, agreed. I definitely think she doesn't compare to previous character reveals when it comes to general hype.(As I've said before though, those trailers seemed to be more so designed around hype and the characters themselves are some pretty heavy hitters.) But that doesn't mean she isn't a worthy inclusion.

Crystanium

Smash Hero
I found Isabelle's inclusion to be by far the weakest. I won't claim I knew she was going to join before watching Nintendo Direct 9.13.18, but when the end of ND showed Isabelle, I figured she would be included. Top that with the letter she received, and I expected it before she opened it.

With Inkling's inclusion, I was surprised because I thought I was watching a trailer to a new Splatoon. When I saw the Inklings, I said to my brother, "I wouldn't be surprised if they added Inkling in Smash." Then, the whole place went dark and I saw the Smash symbol flame in Inkling girl's eye. Totally unexpected.

When I saw the trailer for Ridley, I knew without a doubt he was in. When I saw him, I thought, "Whoa!" His appearance looked like death. Not to mention his awesome plasma beam used on Samus. Daisy was so-so, but I thought her inclusion was cool.

When ND 8.8.18 happened, I figured it was a Belmont from Castlevania. It was Richter who took me by surprise, though, since I wasn't expecting him. I didn't care about Chrom, but after Chrom, I was hoping I'd see Dark Samus, and Dark Samus I saw. I was pretty happy with her inclusion, even though she was revealed as an echo fighter.

When DK and Diddy appeared, I was expecting King K. Rool. Throwing in that trolling when King Dedede revealed himself was pretty damn funny, but when King K. Rool knocked him to the side, I thought that was awesome. Not to mention how he ran in the cut-scene. And his final smash was awesome.

Last edited:

lucasla

Smash Journeyman
Well, she is really a character that I presume most people don't really care, so I can see why people don't want to see the final spots reserved for newcomers to be ocuppied by characters that people have no real passion enough. But I can't say I'm surprised. I always thought she could be included because her inclusion in Mario Kart 8 and the possibility of the production of a new Animal Crossing game. Anyway, Banjo-Kazooie, Crash, Rayman, Skull-Kid.. I would change her for one of these without even think... I think that even the fighter of the game Arms that I don't even know the name would be more interesting than Isabelle.

Last edited:

Uffe

Smash Hero
It most likely comes down to the history of characters. Isabelle doesn't have a long history in comparison to a lot more Nintendo characters. I'm still disappointed by the fact that we've only had one F-Zero representation for the past 19 years in the Smash series.

soviet prince

I am the terror that flaps in the night
Premium
NNID
7066-9708-9591
she is 3/4 a villager clone defiantly not someone to hold us over until the next reveal

TheFVguy

Smash Apprentice
she is 3/4 a villager clone defiantly not someone to hold us over until the next reveal
Yeah, for you. Everybody I'm seeing is incredibly excited for her. Also, that is a very specific percentage for status as a semi-clone, I am very certain she isn't it out yet, meaning that number makes absolutely no sense out of speculation.
Think before typing things out my friend.

TheFVguy

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, for you. I am seeing many people excited about her inclusion. Also, that is a very specific percentage for a character's status as a semi-clone when the game isn't even released yet. If you want to prove that Isabelle doesn't deserve to be a big reveal, try to make an actual argument and not blatant assumptions.

Ronster87

Ronnie
NNID
Ronster87
Switch FC
7787-7027-5981
I can smell the entitlement all the way from here. As if Sakurai is worried about 'holding you over until the next reveal' and keeping you appeased. Seriously wow.

Dan

Smash Lord
In an ideal world the newcomers would just be the ballot characters; I don't believe Isabelle was a ballot character. I just wish the people could get what they want, instead of weird stuff like Sakurai trying to predict which Pokémon will be popular.

I found Isabelle's inclusion to be by far the weakest. I won't claim I knew she was going to join before watching Nintendo Direct 9.13.18, but when the end of ND showed Isabelle, I figured she would be included. Top that with the letter she received, and I expected it before she opened it.

With Inkling's inclusion, I was surprised because I thought I was watching a trailer to a new Splatoon. When I saw the Inklings, I said to my brother, "I wouldn't be surprised if they were added Inkling in Smash." Then, the who place went dark and I saw the Smash symbol flame in Inkling girl's eye. Totally unexpected.

When I saw the trailer for Ridley, I knew without a doubt he was in. When I saw him, I thought, "Whoa!" His appearance looked like death. Not to mention his awesome plasma beam used on Samus. Daisy was so-so, but I thought her inclusion was cool.

When ND 8.8.18 happened, I figured it was a Belmont from Castlevania. It was Richter who took me by surprise, though, since I wasn't expecting him. I didn't care about Chrom, but after Chrom, I was hoping I'd see Dark Samus, and Dark Samus I saw. I was pretty happy with her inclusion, even though she was revealed as an echo fighter.

When DK and Diddy appeared, I was expecting King K. Rool. Throwing in that trolling when King Dedede revealed himself was pretty damn funny, but when King K. Rool knocked him to the side, I thought that was awesome. Not to mention how he ran in the cut-scene. And his final smash was awesome.
Yep; most of the reveals have been painfully obvious who they're for.

SmashBro99

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4957-2747-2945
By far the most underwhelming reveal ever, using smash to push animal crossing, sad.

You are right its subjective, cuz i think AC is a boring series as does everyone i talk to.

Im talking alot of **** about this character now, but i knew she was getting in, just glad this bandaid got ripped off, and while we needed a much stronger reveal, atleast this garbage wont bog down a smash direct in the future for me

Grats weebs that wanted this derp

Im sure i wont hate her when we see the rest of the roster i hope, im in the minority that hasnt been impressed with the newcomers, not interested in splatoon, small ridley looks stupid, whip boys are interesting but i havent gotten into castlevania...atleast K. Rool made it. Now that they have shown us that using smash for advertising games is gonna be up there with goinv to the ballot for options, giving up hope on the rest of the high ballot characters.

The best part of Isabelle’s reveal? New training dummy! Move over ****** ridley!

Dark2020

Smash Apprentice
By far the most underwhelming reveal ever, using smash to push animal crossing, sad.

You are right its subjective, cuz i think AC is a boring series as does everyone i talk to.

Im talking alot of **** about this character now, but i knew she was getting in, just glad this bandaid got ripped off, and while we needed a much stronger reveal, atleast this garbage wont bog down a smash direct in the future for me

Im sure i wont hate her when we see the rest of the roster i hope, im in the minority that hasnt been impressed with the newcomers, not interested in splatoon, small ridley looks stupid, whip boys are interesting but i havent gotten into castlevania...atleast K. Rool made it. Now that they have shown us that using smash for advertising games is gonna be up there with goinv to the ballot for options, giving up hope on the rest of the high ballot characters.

The best part of Isabelle’s reveal? New training dummy! Move over ****** ridley!
By that definition, 90% of the entire Smash cast is weab material since they originated in Japan.

Yeah, for you. Everybody I'm seeing is incredibly excited for her. Also, that is a very specific percentage for status as a semi-clone, I am very certain she isn't it out yet, meaning that number makes absolutely no sense out of speculation.
Think before typing things out my friend.
He’s not wrong. She has his neutral B, Up B, used the same grab, same dash attack, uses Lloyd, same final smash if you’re counting that. It’s true, the game isn’t out yet, but when you play smash for such a long time these things become obvious.

Not that it bothers me, though. I think she’s cute as ****. can’t wait to try her out.

lucasla

Smash Journeyman

Yeah, just think that way.. they already announced some great characters, but all of them could not really be inserted on a group of "cute" characters that smash always had. If they want to add a new cute character for the new game, Isabelle is fine, she is really one of the only options. Now, let's come back for more appealing characters, we still have three months and all the life of the game after the release for new characters to appear.

Last edited:

soviet prince

I am the terror that flaps in the night
Premium
NNID
7066-9708-9591
I can smell the entitlement all the way from here. As if Sakurai is worried about 'holding you over until the next reveal' and keeping you appeased. Seriously wow.
if he want's to sell the game a good business move is to keep the hype, I have every right to complain on something I am spending my money on

Ronster87

Ronnie
NNID
Ronster87
Switch FC
7787-7027-5981
No one said you didn't have the right to complain.

I also have every right to call you smug, entitled and spoiled. 'I'm paying so I can be a brat' is an obnoxious attitude. Do you act that way with waiters and taxi drivers too?

TriforceBun

Smash Apprentice
I wouldn't say the "deserves to be in Smash" argument is inherently bad, you just have to support it well. I mean, is anyone going to disagree that Bowser deserves to be playable before Boom-Boom? A lot of these discussions are just on a more global, series-spanning scale than that (should Elma get in before Isaac? Should Impa get in before Rayman?).

Pretty much every character requires some degree of relevance or historical significance to make it into the game, so I don't think there's anything wrong with discussing potential newcomers from that viewpoint. After all, if someone seriously wanted to make the case for playable Grippy Toad, for instance, nearly everyone would agree that the character is neither historically significant nor relevant enough to be playable. It's kind of the cornerstone for all character choices.

Last edited:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I understand the intention of this thread, but I also reject the statement.
Mario deserves to be in more than Dark Pit. Make a single argument that contradicts this.

If a point cannot be taken to the extreme to see the weakness, the point may not exist.

Last edited:

Q-Long

Smash Lord
I understand the intention of this thread, but I also reject the statement.
Mario deserves to be in more than Dark Pit. Make a single argument that contradicts this.

If a point cannot be taken to the extreme to see the weakness, the point may not exist.
I agree with this... I don't mind Isabelle, but also I hope Smash never does that Tekken thing where they added a Walking Dead character.

A line needs to be drawn some where and it was good that koopa and sonic oc's aren't in but captain falcon and ice climbers are

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
I only apply it to Wolf — Krystal deserved to be in more. Everywhere else, I'm just happy for whoever gets in and their fans.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I only apply it to Wolf — Krystal deserved to be in more. Everywhere else, I'm just happy for whoever gets in and their fans.
That's funny.
I'd argue Krystal deserved it more than Falco, but that Wolf was had more necessity.
And I think the melee opening sequence proves that process.

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
I wouldn't say the "deserves to be in Smash" argument is inherently bad, you just have to support it well. I mean, is anyone going to disagree that Bowser deserves to be playable before Boom-Boom? A lot of these discussions are just on a more global, series-spanning scale than that (should Elma get in before Isaac? Should Impa get in before Rayman?).

Pretty much every character requires some degree of relevance or historical significance to make it into the game, so I don't think there's anything wrong with discussing potential newcomers from that viewpoint. After all, if someone seriously wanted to make the case for playable Grippy Toad, for instance, nearly everyone would agree that the character is neither historically significant nor relevant enough to be playable. It's kind of the cornerstone for all character choices.
...True... this is exactly why I have zero expectation of seeing playable Corsola, and why I am fairly pessimistic about Vaati's chances.

Swaggy-G

Smash Apprentice
The reveal itself was underwhelming, but I have no problem with the character herself. She looks fun to play.

Uffe

Smash Hero

I agree with you about this being the most underwhelming reveal. Animal Crossing is an enjoyable game, but I guess it's not for everybody. And I agree that Isabelle was really put in Sma5h because she's a promotional character for a new Animal Crossing game. However, she wasn't the first to be used as a promotional character. Roy was the first back in Melee, which might explain why we didn't get him in Brawl. We got him in Sm4sh because people wanted him. Hopefully your opinion changes when the game comes out. Who knows? Maybe you'll like some of the new characters. :)

Dark2020

Smash Apprentice
if he want's to sell the game a good business move is to keep the hype, I have every right to complain on something I am spending my money on
Not buying a game because a single character got in that you don't like has to be the dumbest reason. I can't fathom why anyone would no longer buy the game because "Isabelle killed their hype".

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
Not buying a game because a single character got in that you don't like has to be the dumbest reason. I can't fathom why anyone would no longer buy the game because "Isabelle killed their hype".
Sadly, I can, because some people are legitimately that stupid.

He didn’t say he wasn’t going to buy the game, but it’s within his right to express his disdain about it. It’s his money.

I’m not tripping, personally. And if you feel some type of way about it then find something else to do.

Sudz

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 3649 6707 8868
He didn’t say he wasn’t going to buy the game, but it’s within his right to express his disdain about it. It’s his money.
You are correct that it is well within his right to complain about the fact that this game isn't being developed specifically for himself, given that it is also within everyone's right to call those kinds of people out for being the selfish needy brats that they are.

You are correct that it is well within his right to complain about the fact that this game isn't being developed specifically for himself, given that it is also within everyone's right to call those kinds of people out for being the selfish needy brats that they are.
you’re right, it is within their right, but it’s honestly none of their damn business. so they really think because they are willing to accept something the way it is that they have the moral high ground? no; that’s either complacency or **** riding, the former and the ladder being just as bad in this case.

I’m not saying it’s ok to complain about something but there is nothing remotely “bratty” about not being able to enjoy a game that many will spend several hundred dollars to play. On the contrary, it’s pretty annoying and entitled to believe that your opinion on what a grown-ass man feels should matter, especially if he had to work to get the money to pay for his switch, and his games, etc. some of you don’t know what that’s like or have to worry about it, so instead of instigating the idea that he’s being a brat, try to understand how he / she would feel and try to relay an opinion worth it’s own weight.

Personally, I don’t care. I care more about game play than characters because I play for the long run. But I honestly didn’t care much for Isabelle. It was whatever. Accept that some people aren’t going to be jumping with joy and you’ll be better off.

Sudz

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 3649 6707 8868
you’re right, it is within their right, but it’s honestly none of their damn business. so they really think because they are willing to accept something the way it is that they have the moral high ground? no; that’s either complacency or **** riding, the former and the ladder being just as bad in this case.

I’m not saying it’s ok to complain about something but there is nothing remotely “bratty” about not being able to enjoy a game that many will spend several hundred dollars to play. On the contrary, it’s pretty annoying and entitled to believe that your opinion on what a grown-*** man feels should matter, especially if he had to work to get the money to pay for his switch, and his games, etc. some of you don’t know what that’s like or have to worry about it, so instead of instigating the idea that he’s being a brat, try to understand how he / she would feel and try to relay an opinion worth it’s own weight.

Personally, I don’t care. I care more about game play than characters because I play for the long run. But I honestly didn’t care much for Isabelle. It was whatever. Accept that some people aren’t going to be jumping with joy and you’ll be better off.
Tl;dr tbh. There are plenty of people that want to play as Isabelle and are excited about her inclusion. To complain because you (proverbial you) didn't personally want this character to be included means you have an unwarranted sense of self importance and therefore your opinion is meaningless anyway. There is no defending these brats, they'll suck it up eventually until they find something else to rage about so it's not worth even thinking about.

Tl;dr tbh. There are plenty of people that want to play as Isabelle and are excited about her inclusion. To complain because you (proverbial you) didn't personally want this character to be included means you have an unwarranted sense of self importance and therefore your opinion is meaningless anyway. There is no defending these brats, they'll suck it up eventually until they find something else to rage about so it's not worth even thinking about.
if you can’t take the time to read it then your response isn’t worth thinking about.

tbh.

Sudz

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 3649 6707 8868
if you can’t take the time to read it then your response isn’t worth thinking about.

tbh.
That's fine, the response isn't for the vitriol to read, it's for everyone else to know that people understand that the haters are just haters. There is no room for discussion. Enjoy spewing your drivel.

That's fine, the response isn't for the vitriol to read, it's for everyone else to know that people understand that the haters are just haters. There is no room for discussion. Enjoy spewing your drivel.
It’s drivel, but you haven’t read it. apparently.

you’re using the word vitriol, but you’re refusing to see beyond your own opinion, for whatever reason. that’s contradicting.

just because you can use thesaurus level vocabulary for a fraction of your statements and point out others flaws doesn’t make you better than others. it just means you’ve been arguing on the internet for a very long time.

it’s hilarious that you have the foresight to understand how simple minded and “bratty” these people are, but still stupe to their level, knowing that there is nothing you can do to change that.

The only thing you can do is sympathize , but you refuse to do that. so I can assume you like arguing with a brick wall?

lol alright man. do you. live your best life.

Last edited:
Top Bottom