• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Tap Trial Dancer - Rhythm Girl Beats the Beat

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914

Who is Rhythm Girl?
Rhythm Girl is an unnamed girl appearing in some way in every Rhythm Heaven game to date as well as merchandise like the soundtrack (She is sometimes referred to as Tap Trials Girl after her first appearance.) In each game her appearance (mostly just her hair) changes, but her red dress and shoes remain the same. Rhythm Heaven doesn't really have a story or too much cannon and she could be the same character and she may not, but she does make an appearance in every installment of Rhythm Heaven in some fashion. Of the four recurring characters I feel like she is a possible representative of her franchise.
What is Rhythm Heaven/Rhythm Tengoku/Beat the Beat?
Rhythm Heaven is a rhythm game developed by Nintendo SPD and published by Nintendo. The basic objective of the game is to play through colorful zany rhythmic minigames pressing buttons/tapping to the beat as you try and reach a 'perfect' score. It is the brainchild of Kazuyoshi Osawa, one of the developers of WarioWare and some Metroid games.

Why is she significant?
She is treated as one of the faces of the Rhythm Heaven games always appearing on the advertisements for the game, appearing on the cover of the last installment, appearing on several of the covers of the instruction manuals, appearing in a minigame in the GBA game, being one of the characters portrayed on the arcade cabinet version, being the only character on the cover of the soundtrack, and is one of the four recurring characters. Some people also think she is the one who counts you off in some of the minigames.
Move set possibilities?
Since she only appeared in one minigame in the whole series and for the most part was outside of the minigames in the other games I feel like it would be more appropriate for her to take moves from the other minigames (Instead of having an already established character from the minigames appear with.other minigame's moves.) I would figure a lot of her normal attacks to be a mixture of dancing with maybe some inspiration from Capoeira and other rhythmic styles of fighting but mixed with the zany minigame references. Her specials would take the most references from the minigames and they could have a rhythm gimmick where after you fire it/during its execution you could keep tapping the controls to the beat to make it stronger/go further.

Moveset 1 by DonkaFjord

Neutral A- 'Figure Fighter' She counts one two as her hand enlarges and she jabs. It follows into 'Space Dance' as a combo and finisher.
Side A- 'Bossa Nova' She attacks similarly to setting a volleyball up with light laughing.
Up A- 'Tambourine' Rhythm girl will shake and then slap a tambourine, if it hits flowers appear around her and a chime plays.
Down A- 'Tap Dance' She tap dances.

Neutral B- 'Karate Joe' She counts out as she tosses up flower pots/trash. Kirby maybe gets karate joe's headband or rhythm girl's headphones from the soundtrack.
Side B- 'Love Lab' Chargeable. Shake a potion to charge it and toss. Hearts come out the more you charge it and it changes color.
Up B- 'Donk Donk' She rides the donk donk blimp. It goes further if you tap with the beat.
Down B- 'Crop Stomp' (check out 'Rhythm Epilation' if you want a closer look at the creepy veggies) She stomps the ground in front of her tossing up a veggie from the ground.

Neutral Aerial- 'See-Saw' She spins in a ball similar to the characters as they go upwards.
Side Aerial- 'Samurai Slice' Slices....
Up Aerial- 'Air Rally' She uses a badminton racquet along with the cat's "Bah Bah Bom."
Down Aerial- 'Airboarder' She ducks down pushing a board down.

Side Smash- 'Built to Scale' Rolls out a widget.
Up Smash- 'Munchy Monk' Spits out peas in a fan pattern.
Down Smash- 'Night Walk' Stomps on the ground opening it up as a heart/umbrella/candy (Maybe like the spider candy factory candy instead) shoots up.

Grab- 'Ringside' She gains a microphone and her responses will force characters to pose the way she wants before kicking them in the direction selected.
Forward Throw- See above
Back Throw- See above
Up Throw-See above
Down Throw-See above
Pummel- See above- She will tell you to pose for the fans as she uses a camera flash to damage you. Doing so rhythmically racks up higher damage.

Taunts- Based on the rating system as well as using the animation from 'Cheer Readers' as well as the picket signs used in 'Rhythm Testing.'
Side Taunt- Pulls out a sign with an 'OK' rating.
Up Taunt- Pulls out a sign with the 'Try Again' rating.
Down Taunt- Pulls out sign with the 'Superb' rating.

Idle- Dances and sways to the music/ tapping feat as she hums and closes her eyes

Final Smash- Rhythm Heaven featuring 'Mr. Upbeat' A giant metronome swings on stage forcing players to jump over it and follow the rhythm. If Rhythm girl keeps up to the beat it will grow till it covers the stage.

Victory Pose- Petting the barista dog/ Pointing wii mote at the camera/ Playing DS/ Being interviewed by Ringside interviewer

Victory Fanfare- Either the title theme (very recognizable) or the intro remix jingle. I would prefer the title theme (Heres probably how long it would be: (The first 7 seconds of this video.))

Entrance- being carried in by balloons similar to the opening of 'Night Walk'
Play Style Gimmicks
When you mess up she will gain one of the disgusted looks like when you miss in Rhythm Heaven.
When you charge up her attacks by matching the beat she will be stronger.
Her grabs are rhythm based.

Final Smash
Her final smash I can see being rhythm based (Similar to DK's) where the music where the more on beat you are the stronger it becomes. Maybe either referencing her original minigame, the credits song/guy (Night walk) or rhythm heaven as a whole.

What can the series bring to smash?
Some really colorful stages based on the minigames is almost a no brainer along with Karate Joe as a assist trophy perhaps? I do not see any items coming from the series.

Arguments.
Other characters that can fill a similar slot.
For a rhythm based game? Sure. Harmoknight could but he only has a single game to his name. For a Nintendo rhythm game to be added I feel like Rhythm Heaven is the most popular and likely choice. Of those games I feel like the recurring characters have a greater chance of making it in or one of the new 'host' characters like Marshal. The four recurring characters are the barista (a dog), The Night Walk guy (A white stickman), Rhythm Girl, and Karate Joe (every appearance of his is in the same minigame so I feel he is kind of restricted by that.)

Rhythm Heaven is not important enough.
Rhythm Heaven is one of the most popular new Nintendo IPs as well as one of the most recognizable and heck they might not get a fighter (They probably won't) but they sure are going to get a stage...or something.... hopefully.
She isn't a huge part in the games.
She may not be, but she is a huge part in the advertising of the games and she started off as a game character so I see no problem with that. The characters outside of the minigames usually appear more elsewhere and are more memorable give or take a few. So who knows.

How will the graphics transfer into the world of smash?
She could be flat like the simple vector type graphics in rhythm heaven or she could appear with a stylized model to giver her a vector look... Or maybe even neither. If she was wanted graphics wouldn't hold her back.
It isn't even the same girl each time.
It could go either way and she could just really like changing her hair up... Or people who like music dress the same in Japan? Who knows!

EDIT: The Japanese site for the GBA game actually states (Using Google translate)
"Girl that appeared in Tappudanzu.
Very fashionable, I appear in a lot of clothes.
Your favorite, wonder if any?"

Next to this picture:

So she most likely is the same character throughout the series.

=Tap Trial VIP Support List=
Aussie the Shinobi
Aql
NessSaysOkay
Yomi's Biggest Fan
SquashiniKun
sman3975
Luminario
Captain Schwampy
kool2419
smashkirby
Caravan of Noobs
SegaGameBoy
DonkaFjord
SmashinRamen
P.Kat

King Soon DeDeDoo
WaddleMatt
Flyboy

Princess Ashley
The FVGuy
Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Images of appearance in each game

Game Boy Advanced

Arcade

DS

Wii

[/SPOILER]​

Made by Pakky​

Support Stamps & Buttons

Art by Pavlov-Walrus, Stamp by taoxadasa:

Color Swaps!
Done by Hippopotasauce.
Version 2.0

Colors by @lightdasher

Logo

Voice
Taken from Rhythm Heaven Feaver on the Wii
https://soundcloud.com/donkafjord%2Frhythm-countdown

Stage
Also here are some images of the (elusive) literal "Rhythm Heaven," A very likely stage for a rhythm heaven character taken from this blog. Another stage idea could be a 'Remix Stage' which would be very similar to the Warioware Inc. stage from Super Smash Bros. Brawl.

Music

Please suggest more!
Main Theme
Bon Odori
Menu 1/Game Select (DS)
Remix 8 (Wii) I Love You, My One and Only
Remix 9 (Wii) Beautiful One Day
Remix 10
Night Walk (Dreams of Our Generation)
Glee Club
Love Lab
KARATE JOE TRACKS
(Possibly a medley of the tracks)
Probably a medley or two, especially one with all of Karate Joe's tracks.

Items & Assists

But we all now that is seeming highly unlikely.
Karate Joe, the Wrestler & Reporter, Rhythm Monkeys, the Boxheads, etc. could all make for great assists. Even Barista dog could appear with a stereo and when he hits it on a random song and character is summoned.

Kirby's Hat

A reference to Mike kirby would work, just edit the headphones to resemble the Sound Track's cover art.

Credit to smashkirby for the idea!

Confirmed Corner
Currently the only confirmed representation is through an enemy in the Smash Run mode on the 3DS, the sneaky spirit (White Apparition)!

Overall I doubt she even has a chance but on the off chance she does, I would love to see her as a character.

Thank you for reading!
Other Rhythm Heaven Support Threads
Karate Joe
Marshal (and others)
Wrestler
RH Monkey
Marshal 2
Rhythm Kids
Chorus Men
The Hue Birds of Happiness

Official Sites
Japanese GBA site
Japanese DS site
Japanese Wii site
English (US) DS site
English (US) Wii site
English (PAL) DS site
English (PAL) Wii site

OP credit to DonkaFjord DonkaFjord [/spoiler][/spoiler]

Last edited:

Al-kīmiyā'

Smash the State
My pick for a rhythm game character. She makes the most sense to rep this series. I like the Elite Beat Agents' character designs more, but they have less moveset potential.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
My pick for a rhythm game character. She makes the most sense to rep this series. I like the Elite Beat Agents' character designs more, but they have less moveset potential.
Added you to the support list.

I feel that THIS time, we just may be lucky enough to get a Rhythm Heaven character.

NessSaysOkay

Smash Apprentice
I'll join. I have a support thread for Tibby, but in all honesty, I just want A Rhythm Heaven char, doesen't matter who.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
As much as I would rather have the Chorus Kids (which I may remake soon), I would support any Rhythm Heaven character for now.

Yes, even the Tap Trial Girl.

SquashiniKun

Smash Ace
Supporting this, Her and Tibby are my preferred choices for a Rhythm Heaven character.

sman3579

Smash Cadet
Not really my first pick for a RH character, I’m more of a Karate Joe or Chorus Men guy myself. But I wouldn’t be opposed to the Tap Girl making an appearance, could be interesting.

Luminario

Smash Lord
I'm still hoping Tap Trial Girl will be the RH rep if we do get one. With how many cut-and-paste women there are throughout all the different minigames she would be the best choice to represent the series as she can easily emulate them through her moveset.
I only ask that she uses the Wrestler in her moveset, just cause I love the "whoa! you go big guy!" part.

Captain Shwampy

Smash Master
With Megamix coming out in late 2015 in japan I wonder if that would give RH having a rep a bigger chance or not depeding on when this game started development

Anyways Tap Girl or these 2 would be my choices

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Aw, why didn't anyone tell me a new Ms. Rhythm support thread was made? She's my #1 pick for a Rhythm Heaven rep in Smash! I fully support!

Caravan of Noobs

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TheCrazyPieMan
3DS FC
2621-3128-5801
Switch FC
SW-0260-3374-4829
I hate Glee Club and the Chorus Kids and I think that Karate Joe, while iconic, is too generic a character to gain my support.
Tap Trial Girl on the other hand is my #1 pick for a Rhythm Heaven representative. She's not only appeared in every game but she's also from Tap Trial, my favorite duo of games in the series. I also think that her being female allows her alternate costumes to be easily adjusted to all the fine female characters in Rhythm Heaven.

Give me a Bon Odori outfit or riot!

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Added you to the support list.

I feel that THIS time, we just may be lucky enough to get a Rhythm Heaven character.
As long as there's no limitation issues whatever, Rhythm Heaven should be in the clear. That said, I'm still hoping more for Ms. Rhythm than the Chorus Kids, though I'll take whoever.

BTW, I don't think anyone's posted this here, so...

So, I ship Ms. Rhythm and Karate Joe now...

kool2419

Smash Apprentice
I support this mainly due to the fact that i wanted rhythm girl as a RH rep for smash, hopefully this time she`ll make it in.

Last edited:

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
As long as there's no limitation issues whatever, Rhythm Heaven should be in the clear. That said, I'm still hoping more for Ms. Rhythm than the Chorus Kids, though I'll take whoever.

Here comes the fanfiction of these two.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
Updated the list. I guess that should be everyone.

Lol, this is cute. I wouldn't mind this at all.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Say, does anyone think Ms. Rhythm was a RH character considered for Smash 4 (outside of the Chorus Kids)? I mean, we don't know PRECISELY who the RH rep was going to be...

Luminario

Smash Lord
Say, does anyone think Ms. Rhythm was a RH character considered for Smash 4 (outside of the Chorus Kids)? I mean, we don't know PRECISELY who the RH rep was going to be...
I don't think she was the likeliest, as I think that went to Marshal and co. during Smash 4, but I think she would probably be the one after them.

WaddleMatt

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 5950 1333 3717
I am a supporter of her and I only just found this thread. I just wanted to say the support stamp is broken and I want it in my signature so if it could be fixed that would be awesome.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
I just found this thread

I always thought a rhythm heaven rep is possible for smash

As a matter of fact I'm confused to why chorus men was the choice over rhythm heaven girl before they were scraped from smash 4

So I'm in.

WaddleMatt

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 5950 1333 3717
I just found this thread

I always thought a rhythm heaven rep is possible for smash

As a matter of fact I'm confused to why chorus men was the choice over rhythm heaven girl before they were scraped from smash 4

So I'm in.
Because Gematsu. That is the only reason they are always put forward before anyone else. Then people think of Karate Joe because he's a fighter but that's just pretty boring.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Honestly, I feel like Ms. Rhythm's presence was a tad..."downplayed in RH Megamix, wasn't it? Maybe it's just me, but she felt more notable during RH Fever...

3D Dillon

Smash Ace
I always imagined the Rhythm Heaven character being the girl with other Rhythm Heaven characters popping in to perform attacks. It's shouldn't just be the Chorus Kids. Oh, and I've named my RH fighter "Rhythm Heaven". It's not the best but then again the Dog & Duck duo has been called simply "Duck Hunt".

smashkirby

Smash Hero
I understand that the Chorus Kids and Karate Joe (and Tibby, I guess?) are currently the front-runners for RH getting a playable character, but I really hope that Ms. Rhythm/Rhythm Girl isn't totally out of people's minds. I mean, I still feel that she's just as good of a choice as just about any other RH character. Heck, she could be the Mr. G&W of her series in Smash (as has been mentioned many times in regards to her).

TreeBranch

Smash Ace
Rhythm Girl is my second choice for a rhythm heaven character after chorus kids. I feel like if any rhythm heaven character gets in they will most likely pull different items and characters from different minigames for attacks, so I think it really depends on who is more iconic to the series, and she is iconic. There is no real main character though, so I believe it really just depends on which one Sakurai feels like putting in. I just want a Rhythm Heaven character in smash, so I support.

Al-kīmiyā'

Smash the State
I understand that the Chorus Kids and Karate Joe (and Tibby, I guess?) are currently the front-runners for RH getting a playable character
According to whom? I bet if people didn't know Chorus Kids were considered for a previous game, most of their supporters here wouldn't give a **** about them.

kool2419

Smash Apprentice
Rhythm Girl might be the best choice for a RH Rep. I know people want Karate Joe or the Chorus Kids but i feel that Rhythm Girl can add a little bit more to Smash than those two, she could be the female Mr.Game & Watch.

DonkaFjord

Smash Lord
NNID
DonkaFjord
I was thinking I should bring the thread back over here but was too lazy to do it. Didn't know it has actually existed for 4 months. I've been feeling pretty down about her chances- she really seemed more likely prior to Megamix. :/

She still is my prefered character and although I was negative at first about the chorus kids, I have warmed up a little bit... but really only if they keep their 2D style or at least the outline. I prefer Ko Takeuchi's art style in its original state (whereas his characters designed to be 3D from the get go look better in 3D like beito or whatever the badge arcade bunny's name is or the current design of Ashley for WarioWare Gold.)

I support.
Time to go work on a Rhythm Heaven Barista dog thread for smash then- jkjk

Last edited:

P.Kat

Smash Champion
Add me as a supporter too, I think having Rhythm Girl in Smash would be fun.

WaddleMatt

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 5950 1333 3717
This thread is pretty dead, we need to revive this and spread the word and give Tap Trial Girl more attention.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
This thread is pretty dead, we need to revive this and spread the word and give Tap Trial Girl more attention.
Any ideas? Not trying to call you out or anything. I'm being legit serious as Rhythm Girl (or Ms. Rhythm, as I like to call her) seemed to have quite a bit more... 'traction' for support during Smash 4's speculation period as a possible candidate to be Smash's Rhythm Heaven rep, but once Ultimate rolled around, her support got way more quiet, which is unfortunate as she was my #1 choice for a Rhythm Heaven character in Smash.

Last edited:

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
I'm afraid most of the attention is on Karate Joe and Chorus Kids as far as new Rhythm Heaven characters. So naturally people are sleeping on her.

But I will say this. She still has her equal importance compared to the other two. Being featured in almost every game in some way, being the closest thing to a mascot other than the monkeys. So people shouldn't take her lightly and see her as a legit contender.

Last edited:

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
Hey, We Got Some Stock Icons, Courtesy Of Pakky
Made by Pakky
Also, i'll Support. She's my Most wanted RH rep... (I always thought that I was the only one that wanted her...)

Last edited:

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
And updated the OP. Glad to gave both of you new members.

And also, here's something to spark discussion. Should she have a VA or be mute in Smash if she were a fighter?

I am open to all answers.

Last edited:

Flyboy

Smash Hero
My pick for an RH rep is Ringside Reporter, but I'll take anything at this point and I like Rhythm Girl more than the Chorus Kids and Karate Joe, so sign me up! Also, that render in the OP is cute!!

Please, Sakurai...we need our rhythm reps...

Last edited:

zferolie

Smash Hero
I know everyone says Karate Joe is the only rep, but I think she would be a better character. Karate Joe doesn't bring too much new from Ryu or Little mac. Yeah he could use other RH characters, but that doesn't seem as fitting as Rhythm girl doing it. If we get a rep from this game I hope its her

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
My pick for an RH rep is Ringside Reporter, but I'll take anything at this point and I like Rhythm Girl more than the Chorus Kids and Karate Joe, so sign me up! Also, that render in the OP is cute!!

Please, Sakurai...we need our rhythm reps...
Added.

That also reminds me on how people just gave up on her and the Wrestler. Although it was originally Golden who liked the idea.

I feel like she should at least have the "one! two! three!" voice. It just fits so well with a rhythm playstyle.
Oh right. That would fit her alot for her timing of attacks.

Even when she's voiceless, it makes her full of charm.

Caravan of Noobs

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TheCrazyPieMan
3DS FC
2621-3128-5801
Switch FC
SW-0260-3374-4829
My reasoning for picking Rhythm Girl over the other choices besides not liking Glee Club is that Rhythm Girl is just enough of a blank slate that it wouldn't look out of place if she were playing table tennis, doing bon dances, or pretty much anything in Rhythm Heaven. She can pull off doing anything from Rhythm Heaven giving her much more moveset potential than other characters like Karate Joe and Wrestler who are too defined by their fighting origins to be able to pull those things off without looking weird.

Top Bottom