• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Sweet Talking Pirate - Captain Syrup steals the show!

Should we get the Cutthroat of Kitchen Island?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

TheSoldier

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
2020-0559-7730
Scourge of the Seven Seas, Leader of the Black Sugar Gang, Seductive Sweet Talker with a ship full of gold to boot, Captain Syrup!

All art belongs to me, all screenshots belong to Nintendo

Captain Who?

Captain Syrup!
Captain Syrup is the main antagonist of Wario Land I & II, and plays a supportive role in Wario Land: Shake It, even being the one to give Wario the Ancient Globe at the beginning.
She owns two pirate ships, SS Tea Cup, and The Sweet Stuff, the former being her vessel as a villain, the latter being more of a shop where she sells Wario maps in Shake It.
How would she play?
Taking from past games, we don't have much to work with. Then again, the same could've been said about Pac-Man.
In the first game, she is the final boss, summoning a genie and riding on it, so there's Final Smash potential right there.

In Wario Land 2, she appears as a boss more frequently, using bombs and remote controlled robots, which could be used as her neutral and side specials, respectively. Now here is where we have to get creative. Her down special could have her use a cannon, much like Bowser Jr's neutral special, but it could bounce along the ground instead of flying straight through the air. Her recovery could have her launch herself from the same cannon, hitting opponents on the way up. She could use a cutlass for her down and up smash attacks, aerials, and tilts. along with maybe throwing large bags of gold coins at her opponents, for a short range projectile based side smash.

Why? What would she add?
We need another Wario series representative, and the only other character who could fill that role is Ashley, who has only appeared before as an assist trophy, plus it'll add another villain to the roster. Her ship, The Sweet Stuff, could be a stage, with this funky tune in the background:
She could be a swordfighter with interesting projectiles, much like Robin, but with cartoony physics, such as being a floaty fighter, and use a cannon for her recovery up special. There is so much to use!

Conclusion.

We need another Wario rep, and until Ashley picks up her staff to fight, Captain Syrup is the next best thing!

Captain Syrup's Mario Wiki page for more info.

Support Banner!

Last edited:

SEGAGameBoy

Smash Journeyman
Never played a Wario Land game before. She sounds really interesting, though. I support!

warelander

Smash Journeyman
I support her more then any other Wario character, even if Smash's treatment of the Land series in the past, leaves me as anything but optimistic.

BravadoMan_13

Smash Lord
NNID
ClassicRocker
Captain Syrup is someone who I prefer to be a Wario rep over every single WarioWare character in existance, even Ashley. It sucks that the Wario Land series and Wario World have not gotten the proper representation that it greatly deserves. After all, Wario Land is Wario's true roots, where he became the Wario we all love. Captain Syrup has history with Wario going back to the first Wario Land title where she fought against Wario as well as in Wario Land 2. Then she assist Wario in Shake It.

Ideally, the Wario series, in my opinion, I like to see three reps. Wario, Captain Syrup, and Waluigi (as soon as he appears in a Wario Land/Wario World sequel game) would be the three I would be happy with. As a big fan of Wario Land and Wario World, I support Captain Syrup for Smash!

SirCamp

Smash Ace
Absolutely would love to see Captain Syrup.

Both because I think she would be a fun character in Smash and, perhaps more importantly, I would love to see a Wario Land revival/for Nintendo to acknowledge the series. I always had a soft spot in my heart for Wario Land.

Also, for those that care about such things, she would count as another villain to the roster. And a female one at that.

I absolutely don't expect to see her either though, unfortunately. Especially with competition from WarioWare in Ashley. She just seems like a much more likely candidate.

verysleepywolf

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3153-5879-7280
It's been a really long time since I saw support for this character. She had some surprising traction during Brawl speculation. I don't want her specifically but she would be a good addition as a weird, unexpected pick. She isn't demanded nearly enough these days to make it in though.

SirCamp

Smash Ace
Was her support during brawl perhaps related to Wario Land Shake it? I don't remember if that came out before or after, but that could explain it. It's a little frustrating to me though because I feel like she deserves to be more popular than she is. I don't really expect her to have crazy support like K Rool or anything, but the fact that she only just got a thread here is a little baffling to me.

I wonder if perhaps she gets written off due to being a secondary character in a series that people likely already consider to be a spinoff.

Last edited:

KMDP

Smash Legend
I support Captain Syrup, as well. Wario Land 1 & 2 were awesome games that deserve more love.

By the way, here's a Support List. (Yes, I'm aware it's the same as the votes in the Poll, this is more for my future reference than anything).
  1. TheSoldier
  2. SirCamp
  3. BravadoMan_13
  4. Llort A. Ton
  5. Marvel-Otaku-Man
  6. warelander
  7. SEGAGameBoy
  8. mediyogurt
  9. KMDP
  10. Dixie Kong

SirCamp

Smash Ace
You know, as much as I want Captain Syrup as playable, I'm at a point where I almost hope she becomes an Assist. I say that not because it's preferable to playable, but because I just don't see her being playable and being an AT seems like the most I can hope for right now. And Assist is better than nothing imo, contrary to what some others may say. I definitely support her as a playable character though, I just like to keep my expectations a little in check. haha

Last edited:

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
I support Cpt Syrup since Smash 4 and I'd be glad to be added to the supporters list.
Probably it's never going to happen, but nothing will stop me from supporting.

Super underrated character with a lot of potential.

Dreamking

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DreamWanderer92
3DS FC
0817-5074-8674
Switch FC
6827-7951-1977
I really want Captain Syrup to join the roster so I support. While it is nice to see Wario, I like prefer his Wario Land appearances. I see Captain Syrup as a balance between the two subseries. I think she would have great synergy with K. Rool. With the rival motif that Ultimate seems to be going for, she would be Wario's rival.

I am thinking of a moveset for her to post here.

PS: On a related note, I wish Nintendo would feature her in more games.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Supporting. While I certainly vouch for Wario characters in general (specifically Mona, Jimmy, and Dribble & Spitz on a good day), Syrup is definitely an important one.

She, like K. Rool after her, wound up being replaced by one-off villains that had even less traction than her (even Rudy, who just has WL3 and Dr. Mario 64 to his name). She is also a noteworthy Nintendo female villain, even getting the initial Metroid US manual treatment hiding her true gender, which players wouldn't find out until the end. I am also glad that Shake It! expanded upon her personality and provided a definitive character design. She obviously may not get into Ultimate, but who's to say there won't be a new ballot to rally up support for a future entry?

And besides, it'd be hilarious to see Mona and Syrup get into catfights over Wario.

Edit: Oh, also, I recently thought of the best possibility for a home stage: Kitchen Island in the form of a touring stage. First, the stage would start out on Mt. Teapot's cover lid, then it would take you to various locales on the island, including Rice Beach and Syrup Castle, before looping. If you attack Syrup's castle enough, it would break apart to reveal the stolen Princess Peach statue.

Last edited:

KingZing

Smash Journeyman
I remember there was another thread for her, huh. Wario Land, much like the DKC trilogy and DK64 until recently, has been another neglected Nintendo series in part because of WarioWare. I really dislike how Smash treats Wario as if all there is to him is WarioWare, I like them both, but WL should be the focus and WW the aftermath imo.

So yeah, I reiterate my support for good old Maple Syrup, also hoping for her return to Wario games (and Wario games altogether really...)

warelander

Smash Journeyman
By the by, here's some neat trivia for yah:

tumblr_om9aavZOMB1v39q72o1_540.jpg

Japan had these interesting “Nintendo Power” (obviously no relation to the american magazine) cartridges, which one could download exclusive games on, at certain videogame retailers.

Among those exclusive titles was the Picross NP series, which spawned 8 volumes and each had a set of puzzles based off a single game.

Volume 7 is the most interesting one for me obviously, since it’s game centered puzzles are Wario Land 2 based, even featuring the only non-Wario Land appearence of Captain Syrup to date:
charactermode7.png
20150901_151125-1.jpg

I figured that this would be fun to share, since so few people know of that Syrup has another appearence, outside of Wario Land 1,2 and Shake It.

Cap’nKazam

Smash Apprentice
Wow, I had almost forgotten about this awesome character. Hope she makes it in, somehow. Would be great to have an all around piratey character join the fight. Please add me to supporters.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I remember there was another thread for her, huh. Wario Land, much like the DKC trilogy and DK64 until recently, has been another neglected Nintendo series in part because of WarioWare. I really dislike how Smash treats Wario as if all there is to him is WarioWare, I like them both, but WL should be the focus and WW the aftermath imo.

So yeah, I reiterate my support for good old Maple Syrup, also hoping for her return to Wario games (and Wario games altogether really...)
It would help if Ashley didn't get much support, as it's made obvious by now that Sakurai clearly doesn't see the potential in her yet. It's only just now that her fans have realised that it's simply better to vouch for anyone else.

Also, the weirdest thing is that Wario's victory theme is still going to be a snippet from Shake It's first level theme...It makes you wonder if Sakurai has even gotten time to hear of early Wario games at all, let alone play them.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Do sign me up as a supporter. I have always wanted to see Captain Syrup in the game as a playable character since Smash 4. I'd love to play as her.

Gemini-Gene

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Fairlight92
Switch FC
SW 7459 3215 2216
Captain Syrup was one of the antagonist characters that I supported for Smash 4 so I'll support her again. I'd rather have her than any of the Wario Ware characters being supported. Mona would be nice but would put her behind Syrup.

Last edited:

IggyKoopa66

Smash Cadet
NNID
Keemie
I’ll even take Captain Syrup as a trophy! Captain Syrup was my “it’s a chick!” moment that a lot of people had with Samus.

Syrup was both Wario’s Bowser and Peach rolled into one. Her relationship with Wario is in the style of Batman and Catwoman...only they are both greedy jerks who would sell their mothers for a coin.

MasterWarlord

Smash Champion
Not wasting countless hours on a 10 man community
Just throwing out this idea here I've posted a few times. Captain Syrup only ever fights in Wario Land 2 inside of a simple hovering mech. Perhaps she could be a Koopaling echo? As an echo, she's allowed to have a slightly different hurtbox, so she can be a bit bigger.

Last edited:

BravadoMan_13

Smash Lord
NNID
ClassicRocker
It looks like Syrup's finally been acknowledged, there have been sightings of her spirit appearing in the game.
There has been an additional Wario Land spirit sighting! The Shake King is a spirit. It's great to have more Wario Land content. I'm hoping we get more WL content.

Dreamking

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DreamWanderer92
3DS FC
0817-5074-8674
Switch FC
6827-7951-1977
I would love more WarioLand music like Greenhorn Forest and Wario Land Main Theme.

warelander

Smash Journeyman
There has been an additional Wario Land spirit sighting! The Shake King is a spirit. It's great to have more Wario Land content. I'm hoping we get more WL content.
There's also Princess Shokora and if you want to count Master of Disguise, Count Cannoli.

Between the four spirits we know so far, the return of the Shoulder Charge and a proper Ground Pound for Wario's down throw (even with the same pose as in Land 4 and Shake It) Ultimate so far, has shown quite a surprising amount of goodwill towards the Wario platformers, let's hope that we haven't seen all of it yet!

Skeleton-o-puns

Smash Cadet
Howdy, it’s skeleton-ton o puns. I made this captain syrup moveset. Hope you like it.

Neutral- Sailing bomb

She pulls out a bomb and throws it. The bomb flies at the nearest opponent, making it a homing tool.

Side special- three shot pistol

Fire a gun that shoots three bullets in a spread like fashion. Hold B to charge, but if you charge to long, it will explode similar to Diddy’s pistol.

Up special- teacup twirl

Spin upwards with your arms in a T-pose, while holding a teacup. Similar to Wario’s up special, except the teacup can spike.

Down special- Canon Drop

Drop a cannon that does damage on the way down, as well as firing off up to five heavy quick moving cannon balls that do major damage and cause massive knockback.

Taunts-

Up- Captain Syrup tosses a coin, and catches it.

Side- Captain Syrup wiggles her hips at the camera in a cha-cha-like fashion, similar to Wario’s side taunt.

Down- Captain Syrup laughs heartily, and then winks.

Final Smash- Captain Syrup summons the S.S teacup, and ships out, leaving everyone else to deal with an angry, rampaging genie.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
You know, I think that before Syrup can get enough support, I think it might help to give that to a Wario Ware character first (most likely Mona). As nice as it would be to bring back Syrup and Wario Land, I think that keeping Wario Ware afloat takes priority, especially since that still can't get anything in the way of character inclusions since Brawl.

That is, if it's not possible to support both at once, depending on how this DLC dev cycle goes.

HYRULESHERO42

Smash Journeyman
I’m all for adding pirates to Smash. Though I’d prefer her not to be a sword fighter. It’d be much more unique if she fought with other pirate weapons. I saw some fan art where she would use an anchor and chain as an attack, and a sack filled with coins etc.

Tetrin

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7468-3675-9681
Wario should just rep Wario games in general and not specifically WarioWare. A revival of Wario Land would probably be amazing but Nintendo is so hesitant with reviving series now that it just seems like a fever dream. Captain Syrup is definitely worthy of a spot, I just don't think the odds are in her favor.

She'd be a great addition, though. I'd love her. Sign me up for support if you could.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Wario should just rep Wario games in general and not specifically WarioWare. A revival of Wario Land would probably be amazing but Nintendo is so hesitant with reviving series now that it just seems like a fever dream. Captain Syrup is definitely worthy of a spot, I just don't think the odds are in her favor.

She'd be a great addition, though. I'd love her. Sign me up for support if you could.
The main thing is that most everyone's attention is diverted towards characters with huge fanbases (Dixie, Geno, Waluigi, etc), so ones like Syrup here are largely ignored. On top of that, priority is currently on trying to get someone from Wario Ware at all, since supporting Ashley is proving increasingly ineffective.

It'd take a miracle to get everyone on board. Though at least the other purple pirate is already out of the way. :ultridley: And the spirits remind people that she exists.

Last edited:

Tetrin

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7468-3675-9681
The main thing is that most everyone's attention is diverted towards characters with huge fanbases (Dixie, Geno, Waluigi, etc), so ones like Syrup here are largely ignored. On top of that, priority is currently on trying to get someone from Wario Ware at all, since supporting Ashley is proving increasingly ineffective.

It'd take a miracle to get everyone on board.
It happened with Geno, who I'd argue is way more obscure a character than Syrup. Fanbases grow by taking advantage of exponential growth, since once your voices reach a certain point, you get bandwagoners and more real supporters. With enough of a push, I'd definitely not consider it impossible.

HYRULESHERO42

Smash Journeyman
I found the concept moveset I mentioned earlier

I did NOT make this, found it through a google search

57471DD7-AD61-4566-BCE9-1929DFB9A587.png

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom