• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Super Smash Brothers League (SSBL)

clubbadubba

Smash Master
The Inaugural Season
Of the Super Smash Brothers League (SSBL)

Do you like competitive play but tournaments just aren’t enough? Want more guaranteed matches? Well the SSBL is for you. Make division rivals and race against your opponents for the playoff spots in this NFL styled slugfest. This is going to be HUGE! The SSBL is looking for 24 or 32 entrants for this unique competitive experience. First come, first serve, unless the applicant has a blatant history of not finishing tournament games (and I know nobody’s history in that regard).

Concept:

[COLLAPSE="Hide"]This will resemble the basic concept of a sports league. There will be a regular season, in which participants will play other participants based on a scheduled that is completely determined before the season starts. After the season, the players with the best records will enter the playoffs. At the end of the playoffs, the winner will be crowned champion.[/COLLAPSE]

Structure:

[COLLAPSE="Hide"]The structure of this will be very similar to that of the NFL, for those who follow football. The league will be divided into 2 conferences. Within each conference, there will be 4 divisions, each consisting of 3 or 4 players (depending on participation level). The general schedule will be comprised of the following matches:

-2 matches against each division opponent (4 or 6 games)

-Each division will play one other division within its conference from top to bottom. For example, ‘player A’ in Division 1 will play every player in Division 2 once if Division 1 and Division 2 are pitted against each other. (3 or 4 games)

-Each division will play one other division from the other conference from top to bottom. (3 or 4 games)

If we get 24 participants, this totals to 10 games. If we get 32, it will be 14 games.

At the end of the season, the top half of each conference in terms of overall record will be invited to the playoffs. Playoffs will be a single elimination tournament, with players from different conferences on different sides of the bracket.[/COLLAPSE]

Match Rules:

[COLLAPSE="Hide"]The league will be following the SSB64 Backroom ruleset (READ THEM!), with the following exceptions and amendments:

Stage selection will occur first using the backroom striking system. Before the game starts, players will try to reach an agreement on a suitable character matchup. If no such agreement is made, then double blind picks may be called for, which may be executed however the players deem possible. After the first match, stage/character selection is advanced slob picks (direct from backroom ruleset).

Regular Season Matches will be best of 5 games (win 3 to clinch).

Playoff Matches will be best of 9 games (win 5 to clinch).

Backroom ruleset: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=295918
[/COLLAPSE]

Scheduling your games and forfeits:

[COLLAPSE="Hide"]Each week, you will be assigned 2 games to play. The week will start at noon on Mondays, and will end on noon of the following Monday. This should give people time to set up matches for the weekend, since that is when most people are available. If a match is reported at 12:01 PM on Monday, it is late, and will be considered not played. No one is playing on Monday morning, so there should be no reason to come close to this deadline.

If a game is not played, one of three things will occur.

1) If neither player has made a serious attempt to contact the other and set up a game time, both players will be handed losses.
2) If only one player makes a serious attempt to contact the other and set up a game time, then said player will receive a win, and his opponent will receive a loss.
3) If both players have made a serious attempt to contact the other and set up a game time, and nothing was available, both players will be given a tie.

I will serve as the judge-jury-executioner, aka the Roger Goodell of the league if you will. I make no promises or guarantees, but if you don’t want to forfeit any games I have some guidelines below that will help sway me in your direction if you follow them.

-Initiate the contact with your opponents. By contact, I don’t mean hang around on galaxy until your opponent shows up. PM him on smashboards, email him, or IM him.

-Do not let your first message be: “When do you want to play?” Start by suggesting times during the week when YOU can play.

-Contact your opponents on the first day of the week, second day at the latest. If two players do not make any contact until the 4th day of the week and then find they cannot find a time to play in the next 3 days, I will be more inclined to give them both forfeits than if they had made contact on the 2nd day and found the last 5 days of the week would not work.

-Along the same lines, do not simply message your opponent the first day, and then not check back in until a few days later. Set up a match time as early as possible

-Use contact through smashboards (PM’s) AND through email if you need to

[/COLLAPSE]

Reporting Results:

[COLLAPSE="Hide"]You may report match results in this this thread. Be sure to identify in the result post:

1) What week the match was assigned.
2) Both participants in the match.
3) The score

i.e.

Week 1
Clubba22 beat A$ 3 - 0
[/COLLAPSE]

Playoff Selection and Tiebreakers:

[COLLAPSE="Hide"]In measuring record, ties will count as almost half a win. Basically more wins > more ties if it comes to it. Meaning, that 9-1-0 is better than 8-0-2.

You don’t need to read these. They are just here so everyone knows what the tiebreaks are ahead of time. We will be using the NFL tiebreak rules (because they have been tested), with the following changes:

-Strengths of victory/schedule are not considered
-Any qualifier that is obviously specific to football is obviously not considered.

-In all cases, after conference won-lost-tied percentage has been applied but before the coin toss:

-wins against teams at or above .500 win-loss-tied percentage will be considered
-followed by total number of individual games won

NFL tiebreak rules: http://www.nfl.com/standings/tiebreakingprocedures
[/COLLAPSE]

Sign-up:

To sign up, post below in this thread with the following information:

Kaillera Name (required):
Email (required):
IM( suggested):
Location(required):
General Availability times(required):

Availability, location, and my personal estimation of skill level from who I’ve played and what I’ve heard, will be a factor in division creation. Please convert your available times to East Coast time zone so I don’t have to do it for everyone, thanks.

I think this will be a lot of fun, and I encourage players of a range of talent levels to sign up for this. Also, to those that said they would do this if it works—it’s only going to work if you commit to doing it, so it’s up to you guys really.

clubbadubba

Smash Master
STANDINGS

………………………………………………………………………….W……………………..L……………………..T

MASTER HAND CONFERENCE

WEST DIVISION

1 SuPeRbOoMfAn….………………………………………………11.…………………...3.……………………0
2 The Star King.…….…………..…………………………………3……………………...11.……………………0
3 Jimmy Joe…………..…………….………………………………3……………………...11.……………………0
4 Glowworm (DQ’d)………………..……………………………7……………………...7.……………………0

EAST DIVISION

1 Killer…………………………………………………….……………8……………………...6.……………………0
2 Dext3r…………………………………………………………….…6……………………...8.……………………0
3 SharksQuail…………………………………………………….…5……………………...9.………………….…0
4 Limaçon…………………………………………………………….0……………………...14.………………….0

CRAZY HAND CONFERENCE

WEST DIVISION

1 SheerMadness LASERS..…...………………….……………8……………………...6.……………………0
2 Battlecow…………………….……………………………………6……………………...8.……………………0
3 JaimeHR………………………………………………………..…5……………………...9.……………………0
4 Agent 21 (DQ’d)...………………..……………………………0……………………...14……………………0

EAST DIVISION

1 Surri-Sama……………………………………………………….11……………………..3.……………………0
2 Peek~………………………………………………………………11……………………..3.……………………0
3 kys…………………………………………………………………..4……………………...10.…………………..…0
4 clubba22……………………..……………………………………3……………………...11.……………………0

clubbadubba

Smash Master
Kaillera Name: clubba22
Email: clubba22@gmail.com
IM: gchat me on my email account
General Availability: during the weekdays, nighttime (8 pm and on). During the weekend, afternoon is best (weekend nights are for partying).

Week 1 Scheudle: Post #67
Week 2 Schedule: Post #123
Week 3 Schedule: Post #150
Week 4 Schedule: Post #184
Week 5 Schedule: Post #242
Week 6 Schedule: Post #285
Week 7 Schedule: Post #339

Schedule for week 6:

Set 1 (intra-conference play):

boom 3-0 lima
glow 0-3 shark (not played)
star king 0-0 killer (not played)
jimmy 0-0 dexter (not played)
sheer 3-1 kys
bcow 3-1 clubba
jaime 0-0 peek (not played)
agent 0-3 surri (not played)

Set 2 (Division play):

boom 3-0 glow (not played)
star king 0-0 jimmy (not played)
killer 0-0 dexter (not played)
lima 0-0 shark (not played)
sheer 0-0 bcow (not played)
jaime 3-0 agent (not played)
peek 0-0 surri (not played)
kys 3-0 clubba

sharksquail

Smash Ace
Kaillera Name: [ATL]SharksQuail
Email: Just PM me here
IM: check profile
General Availability: flexible schedule

Peek~

Smash Lord
Kaillera Name (required): Peek~
Email (required): Just pm me here
IM(suggested):
MSN: peek824545201@hotmail.com
Location(required): Las Vegas, Nevada
General Availability times(required): Horrible in June, Regular in July-Anytime after 12 PM Pacific(3 PM eastern)

I dont recommend 32 people, 24 might work. 16 is the normal turnout for regular tournies. Just saying

clubbadubba

Smash Master
Kaillera Name: Surri-Sama
Email: surrismash@hotmail.com
IM: MSN- surrismash@hotmail.com
AIM - surrisama
General Availability times: Flexible

Why are you not using the striking rule for first stage selection exactly?

double blind is the fairest way to select chars as well.

How do you tie in smash?
I feel dl is the only true neutral stage. Could change that later, we'll see.

If double blind is both players pick their characters at the same time without knowing who the other is picking, then all u get is kirby and pika because they don't have bad matchups. Maybe that isn't what double blind is.

Read the op, ties can come when a game is not played but both players seriously tried to set up a time.

Again, may look at rules again when I get back on Monday.

kys

Smash Ace
Kaillera Name: kys
Email: PM me here
IM: N/A
General Availability times: Any day after 6 pm EST

The Star King

Smash Hero
If double blind is both players pick their characters at the same time without knowing who the other is picking, then all u get is kirby and pika because they don't have bad matchups. Maybe that isn't what double blind is.
No, you don't. You get what people feel can handle all other match-ups best for them personally.

And Kirby does have a bad match-up. His name is Pikachu.

clubbadubba

Smash Master
Which is more often than not kirby or pikachu. If ppl in general feel double blind is the way to go, I will change it. Same with stage striking. Alsl, are u participating star king?

Limacon let me know as soon as u can what ur status is

Zantetsu

Smash Master
Kaillera Name (required): Zantetsu
Email (required): Roman.Tripp@gmail.com
IM( suggested): Zantetsu17@live.com
Location(required): Springfield, MO
General Availability times(required): I'm open on most days during the summer. Doing a job search so I won't know when I get one and how many hours it will take, but I'll have plenty of time to play during random times.

The Star King

Smash Hero
^oh em jee BHLMRO

Yeah I'll sign up later lol

Fox and Falcon are just as common as Pikachu and Kirby from what I've seen

#HBC | ѕoup

The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.
Kaillera Name (required): Zantetsu
Email (required): Roman.Tripp@gmail.com
IM( suggested): Zantetsu17@live.com
Location(required): Springfield, MO
General Availability times(required): I'm open on most days during the summer. Doing a job search so I won't know when I get one and how many hours it will take, but I'll have plenty of time to play during random times.
WHY DO YOU TORMENT ME.
I JUST QUIT COMP SMASH BUT THEN THIS.

eyyy roman great to see you again it's supa.

NovaSmash

Banned via Administration
3DS FC
2079-8171-3301
i think u should start this with 16 to see how it goes since this is the inaugural event

#HBC | ѕoup

The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.
Well i have to play now that roman is playing.

Kaillera Name (required): Supa
Email (required): ellojello42@hotmail.com
IM( suggested): Soupamario on skype or ellojello42@hotmail.com on msn
Location(required): Grand Rapids, Michigan
General Availability times(required): Just PM me when you want to play, i'll be sure to get it.

jimmyjoe

Filthy Hori
Premium
Kaillera Name: Jimmy Joe
Email: jimmyjoe.mcgurl@gmail.com
IM: gchat me on my email account
General Availability: Monday-Wed. I usually play late, but I'm flexible, so really anytime during those days.

Edit:
I'd prefer the the BR rule on stage selection, if you are taking a vote, or at least trying to get a general consensus. Dreamland is neutral, but Highrule balances the differences in the Teir list a little more IMO.

Atomic

Smash Rookie
Kaillera Name (required):Atomic
Email (required):atomicx14@hotmail.com
Location(required):Galveston, Texas
General Availability times(required): Anytime

NovaSmash

Banned via Administration
3DS FC
2079-8171-3301
anyone outside of north america should have to play on galaxy, im not playing on 8 frames.

Battlecow

Play to Win
Kaillera Name (required): Battlecow
Email (required): battlecow777@aol.com
IM( suggested): battlecow777@aol.com
Location(required): Illinois
General Availability times(required): varies during the summer. "By request" might be the best descriptor.

I never check that email or IM, btw. If you wanna contact me, PM me. If you're not on the boards often, why are you in this league?

KoRoBeNiKi

Smash Hero
Writing Team
Slippi.gg
KORO#668
Kaillera Name (required): KoRoBeNiKi
Email (required): goc6283@aol.com
IM( suggested): goc6283@aol.com

PMs through smashboards is the easiest. I don't go on AIM basically at all anymore.

Location(required): NJ

General Availability times(required): varies, at night usually.

SheerMadness

Smash Master
I'll join but only if my franchise is named the "LASERS".

Kaillera: SheerMadness LASERS
Availability: Anytime

I'm not going to put e-mail or IM. I don't use a IM program anymore and I'm not gonna check my e-mail for ssb64 haha. Just PM on here. Been playing tourneys for years and no one has ever had any difficulty finding me using just smashboards PM's or on kaillera.

clubbadubba

Smash Master
Okay guys, I am back. Good to see this seems to be catching on. At the moment we have 20 players signed up, one of whom isn't in a great geographic location (felipe), and one of whom i have not heard of or seen before (atomic). We can either hope for 4 more entries, or cut the league down to 16 players. I know JaimeHR said he was interested, but he is the only one (cough star king is a flake cough) who expressed interest but didn't sign up here so I don't know who the other 3 players would be. If anyone knows of anyone else who wants to play let them know. I'm gonna give this until tomorrow, maybe wednesday, and if we aren't up to 24 I guess I'll cut it down to 16. If anyone is iffy about how often they will be available, it would be helpful if you volunteer yourself to get cut if we downsize.

Felipe, if we need you for the 24 man league, you can play, but only on server. If we downsize, you will have to go, I'm sorry.

Atomic, I have not heard of or seen you before. Maybe you have popped up in the past few days because I do see "atomicbombz" on galaxy right now, but my inclination is to cut you if we downsize because in the past new players can be hard to reach sometimes.

Last 4 to sign-up as of now are:

1 RickySSB
2 Battlecow
3 Korobeniki
4 SheerMadness

Felipe will sadly get the axe first, so ricky you are safe. Atomic may get axed second unless he shows he is here to stay or if someone wants to vouch for him being active. I would like all 3 of the rest of you to be in this, you are all good players, but if we have to cutback I have to be fair. So if you really want to play find some more people! Also get Jaime in on this.

24 or 16, schedule is to start on monday, July 4th.

With regards to rules:

I am going to edit the OP soon about some rule changes. I plan on going strictly with backroom rule on stage selection. For character selection, players will be encouraged to find an agreeable matchup, and if that cannot be done double blind will be used. Happy? Cool.

Seems like email was unnecessary for many people, my b.

Surri-Sama

Smash Hero
Dexter is from mexico which forces him to ping spoof (DAM U OWNA) and slightly lag from time to time.

I think we should abolish the known lag here...try to have a good competitive event!

clubbadubba

Smash Master
I've played Dexter a number of times, and have never had any problems. Surri I can put you in a different conference from him if you scurrrred

Top Bottom