• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Super Smash Bros. Roster Maker (Version 11.0 available)

Giga Man

Smash Journeyman
Made a Coco Bandicoot icon based on this render of her from Crash Bandicoot 4, and I've also made echo icons for her and Crash!

IconCoco Bandicoot (2).png IconCrash Bandicoot Echo.png IconCoco Bandicoot Echo.png

The Crash icon was already posted, but here's a quote of it for your convenience.
Characters
View attachment 287671View attachment 287670View attachment 287669View attachment 287668View attachment 287667View attachment 287666View attachment 287665View attachment 287664View attachment 287663View attachment 287661View attachment 289131View attachment 287660View attachment 289026View attachment 289025
Alcremie, Sirfetch'd, Rillaboom, Inteleon, all from Pokemon Sword & Shield, another Shantae, the Knight from Hollow Knight, Paper Mario, Sally Acorn from the Sonic the Hedgehog Archie Comics, alternate Tetriminos (Tetris), Crash Bandicoot, and Roll from Mega Man.

Stages
View attachment 287662View attachment 287659View attachment 287658View attachment 287657
Night Walk (Rhythm Heaven series), Bowser's Keep (Super Mario RPG), Palmacosta (Tales of Symphonia), Motel "NO MORE HEROES" (No More Heroes).
---

Thank you, but I was hoping you would provide the transparent image on its own as well.

yeahmattm8

Smash Apprentice
Made a Coco Bandicoot icon based on this render of her from Crash Bandicoot 4, and I've also made echo icons for her and Crash!

View attachment 289994View attachment 289993View attachment 289992

The Crash icon was already posted, but here's a quote of it for your convenience.

---

Thank you, but I was hoping you would provide the transparent image on its own as well.
I only used paint.net sorry, wasn't coming out the best so I just cropped what I needed for the icon

Giga Man

Smash Journeyman
I only used paint.net sorry, wasn't coming out the best so I just cropped what I needed for the icon
That's fair. I also use Paint.NET and struggle with transparency, which is why I made the request. I still appreciate it, though.

Last edited:

Alplex

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
2122-7096-1612
Sorry for missing that bit, I have just created a transparent version of that image but Imgur isn't letting me post it with a clear background since the file is too large. Sorry about that.

Last edited:

Giga Man

Smash Journeyman
Sorry for missing that bit, I have just created a transparent version of that image but Imgur isn't letting me post it with a clear background since the file is too large. Sorry about that.
No, thank you! I went ahead and finished the job, and it turned out nicely. I'm not sure why Imgur thinks yours is too big, but I assume they must have compressed it some because I'm able to post this.

I do know that using "attach files" wouldn't work because it's telling me that it's too large for the server to process.

BrenTheNewFan2020

Smash Rookie
I had this idea while I was assembling a picture of my roster with Paint. It was really tedious and taking too long to just make one. And of course, it was even more tedious to edit a picture after having saved it, by needing to place all of the separate icons side by side without leaving any space between them, and re-sizing the roster's picture everytime. So here we are now.

I have some experience in software programming, so I've used my skills to create a program in which anyone can create several rosters quite rapidly and intuitively. With the SSB Roster Maker, you can also save your rosters as image files on your computer, with the same quality as you would obtain in Paint or any other image editors.

Here is what you must do to start using the Roster Maker right now:
  1. Download the program's archive from the link below.
  2. Extract the archive in a directory of your choice on your computer. (You can use 7-Zip to manipulate archives.)
  3. Start the software by double clicking on the file named "SSB Roster Maker.exe" or the file "SSB_Roster_Maker.jar", the latter also being the file Mac or Linux users must use.
Here is a link to download the Super Smash Bros. Roster Maker (version 11.0).

For users who already have a previous version of the Roster Maker and want to keep their data of custom rosters they created and custom characters they added, you must do the following steps :
  1. Extract the archive of the version 11.0 somewhere on your computer.
  2. Replace the file named "rosterMaker.dat" located in the "utils" folder with your old one.
  3. (Optional step) Copy the custom icons you want to keep to the new "icons" folder. If you don't remember which custom icons you added, you can always sort the files in the directory by date. (The last icon file added to the version 10.0 was: "William B.J. Blazkowicz.png "). I recommend not to overwrite existing icons when moving/copying.
  4. (Optional step) Copy or move your roster images from your old "rosters" folder to the new one.
  5. Start up the software by double clicking on the "exe" or "jar" file.
  6. Press the following three keys on your keyboard at the same time: CTRL + SHIFT + =. A confirmation window should appear.
  7. Click "Yes" to perform the update. (The update might take a couple of minutes).
  8. If everything goes well, enjoy the new version! (Otherwise you can message me.)

You might want to know that the program is made in Java, so there could potentially be some problems depending on the version you currently have. You will need at least the version 8 of Java to use the Roster Maker. Here is a link to the Java download page in case you need it.

Here is a screen capture of the program's interface (in version 11.0):

And here is an example of an image produced by saving the file of your roster with colored borders (by clicking on the "Save image" button):

And without colored borders:

I then saved this roster by pressing the "Custom rosters" button and then selecting the save option, and closed the Roster Maker.

Later on, I decided to make a few changes to my roster, so I simply started the Roster Maker again, and then by pressing the "Custom rosters" button again, selecting the roster I saved and loading it, my previously saved roster was uploaded onto the grid.

You can even use (and create!) your own character icons to use in the Roster Maker to create a roster with all the characters you want! So if there is a character that you want to use that isn't present in the Roster Maker, you can make an icon for it yourself using the "Create an icon" function, or you can simply make a request in this thread.

I also want to mention that while I did make a lot of the character icons, there are several other people who contributed to them. The full list of credits can be found in the "About" window.

All instructions are included in a file called "Instructions", which is located in the "utils" folder within the archive of the Roster Maker.

List of the main new features in version 11.0:
  • Added a button named "Ultimate" to the main window. As its name implies, it will load the character roster for the game Super Smash Bros. Ultimate. Only the confirmed characters as of the release of this version of the Roster Maker are present in it by default. However, this roster can be modified as you desire and saved in the database.
  • Added a new attribute named "role" to all characters. This will display the main role a character has attained in current and past games. Some possibilities include: "Playable Character", "Assist Trophy", "Stage", "Item" and more. This attribute can be modified in the window for editing a character's attributes.
  • Added a drop-down list component below the list of characters. This will add the possibility to sort the characters by roles.
  • Modified the status attribute of all characters so they now have four possible states: "Confirmed", "Unconfirmed", "Disconfirmed" and "None". Also updated all things referencing the status.
  • Added the "Assist Trophies Ultimate" roster to the list of custom rosters. It can be accessed by clicking the "Custom rosters" button.
  • Added the "Poké Ball Pokémon Ultimate" roster to the list of custom rosters. It can be accessed by clicking the "Custom rosters" button.
  • Added the "Stages Ultimate" roster to the list of custom rosters. It can be accessed by clicking the "Custom rosters" button.
  • Added a button named "Clean" in the Settings window. This can be used to perform a cleanup that will delete broken characters, for which no icons can be found.
  • Modified the options when saving an image of a roster so you can now choose to save it with black borders.
  • 165 new icons added.
  • Rosters update.
  • Various bug fixes.
List of the main new features in version 10.0:
  • You can now create your own icons with the "Create an icon" function! This option is located in the "File" menu and can be also be accessed by pressing "F2". It's quite simple to use, but for detailed instructions, please look at the "Instructions" file. Some quick tips:
    • It works best when you use images with transparent backgrounds. (You can use something like Paint.NET to remove the background).
    • After selecting an image, you will get better results if you draw a perfect square on the image. The color of the drawn rectangle will change slightly when width and height are the exact same. You can also look at the two counters at the bottom left that display the current dimensions.
    • There are two text fields you must write in next:
      • The first field is used to display the name you want on the icon. I recommend writing it in all caps, unless the name you want doesn't fit in. Some letters like the "C" and the "E" use less space when written in lower case. (For advanced users, you can even take a look inside the "\utils\app_icons\letters\" folder to add or edit the characters used!)
      • The other field is used to enter the full character name. It's the one that will be used and saved in the software, and what you will see in the list of characters. To add a new icon to an already existing character, simply enter its exact name in that field and when you go to the next window, it will load the associated character info. (The name you enter in that field is also used for the file name it creates in the "\icons\" folder).
  • 875 new icons added.
  • Rosters update.
  • Added the series: "Splatoon".
  • Added a new button named "Open roster images folder" to the "File" menu. This will simply open the location of the saved roster images on your computer for rapid access.
  • Various bug fixes.
For a complete list of all the changes, see the "Changelog" file located in the "utils" folder, included within the archive.

The popularity of the characters was partially based according to Shorts's various polls.

Note: If you want to post your roster images on forums, blogs and other places on the web, you must first upload them using media hosting websites such as https://imgur.com/ or http://photobucket.com/ .Or if the forum supports it, directly upload the image in the post.

Have suggestions for features or options you would like to see in the Roster Maker, report bugs or simply leave feedback? Or maybe you have some icons of your own that you would like me to add in future versions? Just mention them in a post in this thread, or contact me by another way, and I'll consider them!
Hey man. When is another update coming? Also, I keep having problems with adding some of the icons of the characters that are on the database.

BrenTheNewFan2020

Smash Rookie
Hey man. When is another update coming? Also, I keep having problems with adding some of the icons of the characters that are on the database.

Giga Man

Smash Journeyman
One correction that needs to be made to the roster maker is Harvest Moon. I noticed an icon titled "Jack (Harvest Moon)," and there are a few issues with that.

Firstly, the franchise should be renamed to "Story of Seasons." The Harvest Moon of today has nothing to do with the original Bokujo Monogatari series and only exists in name only. The correct series name for the west is "Story of Seasons" now, a change that was made in 2014. The history is that Marvelous, the original publishers, wanted full ownership of the IP, but Natsume, the US publishers, didn't want to give up the "Harvest Moon" name, so Marvelous had to come up with a new name and thus rename the franchise to "Story of Seasons."

Secondly, I don't know where the name "Jack" came from, but from what I've found on the series's history, the first male protagonist's default name has always been "Pete," not "Jack."

Thirdly, Harvest Moon: A Wonderful Life is cited as the debut game. This is wrong on many levels. First, Pete is the first Story of Seasons protagonist, and A Wonderful Life is the 10th game in the series. Second, Pete does not appear in A Wonderful Life. The protagonist of that game is Mark. Third, the debut year is not 2004. A Wonderful Life's Japanese release year is 2003, but that's not important. What's important is the year of the first Harvest Moon. The correct citation should be "Harvest Moon" which released on the SNES in Japan in 1996.

In the mean time, here are some icons I made for Pete and Sara (the first female protagonist who debuted in "Harvest Moon GB" in 1997).
IconPete (Story of Seasons).png IconSara.png

I also made a Classic Mario icon for kicks and giggles. I was inspired by this awesome video.
IconClassic Mario.png

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
Figured I might as well share these icons that I made for personal use. Two icons of the male protagonist from Monster Hunter: Rise, Monster Hunter from Marvel vs. Capcom Infinite, the Palico/Felyne from both Monster Hunter: World and Rise, and Sora from Kingdom Hearts 3.

IconMonster Hunter (2).png
IconMonster Hunter (1).png
IconMonster Hunter (3).png
IconFelyne.png
IconPalico.png
IconFelyne (2).png
IconPalico (2).png
IconSora (6).png

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I have a few requests

Velvet

Porky Minch

Wooloo

Movie Sonic

Ninten

Mr. Saturn

Digby

Rick

Niiue

Giegue

Col. Saturn
Thanks in advance!

Mechaloflash2250

Smash Cadet
I want a request, for Mechalo from the Chaos Faction series. An obscure Fighting platformer Smash Look-like Flash game from 2007.

Thanks for Watching this post, it's my first time commenting in this forum.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I'm curious? Can I use this program to make my own roster for any fighting game?
Yes, though you might need to add or make icons yourself if they aren't in the roster maker. However, version 11 has a feature that lets you make icons in the Roster Maker program itself, as long as you have an image. (having an image with a transparent background helps)

For example, here's a roster that I made for a One Piece fighting game, if Arc System Works ever made one in the style of Dragon Ball FighterZ: (spoiler-tagging it to be safe, since some spoilers will at least be implied by character designs and/or placement - it's a little out of date, though)

One Piece ASW.png

Last edited:

FenixStar

Smash Apprentice
So, have we gotten any word on who the next fighter is going to be for the DLC pack yet? There's been rumors it's going to be Sora, as well as rumors that it's not going to be Sora, so I'm confused on what's right and what's not, given that the final one would be coming out soon.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
So, have we gotten any word on who the next fighter is going to be for the DLC pack yet? There's been rumors it's going to be Sora, as well as rumors that it's not going to be Sora, so I'm confused on what's right and what's not, given that the final one would be coming out soon.
This question seems better suited for the Newcomer Speculation Thread, since this is a thread for a program to make mock-up rosters. (at the very least, the Newcomer Speculation Thread seems like the place where you'd get the most informed answers)

As far as I know, we haven't gotten any word (whether it's officially or through leaks) about who the next character is. (not sure what you mean by "the final one", though - we're only two sixths of the way through the Fighters Pass, so there are four more characters left)

Last edited:

FenixStar

Smash Apprentice
Megadoomer Megadoomer

Ah, thanks. One of my friends had said that Sora had been confirmed for Smash, so I was looking for official release and only saw videos of why he wouldn't be in Smash.
Didn't know how close it was getting to the next fighter to be released for Smash Ultimate, so I'm guessing that's what got me confused when someone had said that Sora had been confirmed for Smash.

The Smash Nerd II.0.

Smash Journeyman
Megadoomer Megadoomer

Ah, thanks. One of my friends had said that Sora had been confirmed for Smash, so I was looking for official release and only saw videos of why he wouldn't be in Smash.
Didn't know how close it was getting to the next fighter to be released for Smash Ultimate, so I'm guessing that's what got me confused when someone had said that Sora had been confirmed for Smash.
Yey, I think that's fake. He's not geting into smash, because of the fact his series is connected to a 4th Party (being Disney)

Last edited:

LukeRNG

Smash Ace
NNID
LukeBraginsky
Yey, I think that's fake. He's not geting into smash, because of the fact his series is connected to a 4th Party (being Disney)
Disney has a gaming division, it's the equivalent of Microsoft (known for their OS) having their gaming division (XBOX) or Sony (known for TVs & Movies) having their gaming division (Playstation). The people making Disney movies aren't in charge of the games at all.

On another note; other than adding more Icons, what else would the version 12.0 even bring that isn't already in the Roster Maker.

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
Just finished Age of Calamity a couple of nights ago.
For the benfit of those searching the thread: Mystery Guardian, Purah, Robbie, Master Kohga

Terrako, Astor, Monk Maz Koshia
Sidon, Riju, Teba, Yunobo

Last edited:

Mechaloflash2250

Smash Cadet
Ok, Request that will blow your mind, i swear that will work pals.

SPLASHSCREEN:
Tinypic: ¡This battle is no longer available!

Last edited:

Mechaloflash2250

Smash Cadet
Before Flash pass away, I think we could make icons for Flash characters, as a conmemoration of the old times we been play back then.
Heck, we can even add a category on the All series called: Flash Games.
You could agree with me if you want to.

Top Bottom