• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Super Saiyan ThunderCat Pokemon - Zeraora for Smash Switch!

MetroLSD

Smash Apprentice
For those you don't know, Zeraora is the as-of-now unofficially revealed Pokemon of the latest games, Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon currently obtainable only by hacking..

It's learnset in the pokemons games as well as it's attack animations seem to indicate that at some point in development, Zeraora may have been part Fighting type as oppose to pure Electric as it is now..

Here's my idea for a moveset in Smash:

Standard B - Plasma Fist: This is Zeraora's signature move in the Pokemon games, functions in Smash as a slightly less weaker yet faster version Falcon/Warlock Punch.

Side B - Close Combat: Functions similar to Marth, Roy and Lucina's Marvelous Combination but with a series of punches and kicks instead of sword slashes.

Up B (recovery move)- Wild Charge: An Electric dash with a ton of priority over most attacks that can travel in quite a great distance however Zeraora takes damege from using this move.

Down B - Discharge: Unleashes the surge of electricity which like Wario Waft gets stronger the less often it's used.

ErenJager

Smash Champion
I think it would be a missed opportunity, should this character be included that it not involve some sort of mechanic that makes use of the Plasma Fist & Volt Absorb ability.

The synergy between the move Plasma Fist means normal type attacks become electric, and Volt Absorb means that would heal him. Perhaps there could be some sort of spin on this in smash. Where as a normal attacks (punches & kicks) will actually heal Zeraora for so many seconds after using Plasma Fist on that enemy.

PsychoJosh

Banned via Administration
Oh boy, first they ripped off Swat Kats with Incineroar and now they have a literal Thundercat.

I'd like these characters a lot better if they didn't just look like dudes in fursuits. If Incineroar and this other guy were actual quadrupedal beasts then I would fully support them.

ErenJager

Smash Champion
Oh boy, first they ripped off Swat Kats with Incineroar and now they have a literal Thundercat.

I'd like these characters a lot better if they didn't just look like dudes in fursuits. If Incineroar and this other guy were actual quadrupedal beasts then I would fully support them.
Strong avatar to post correlation.

ErenJager

Smash Champion
Possible Zeraora reveal tomorrow.

Prepare the bandwagon.

Pikachu and Eevee fus-ion-ha

Last edited:

Al-kīmiyā'

Smash the State
It seems like a waste to put in another electric-type Pokémon, when there's no way Pikachu isn't coming back.

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
I drew up a moveset for Zeraora this evening because it sounded like fun. Hope y'all enjoy it.
Zeraora

Zeraora, the newly revealed Mythic Pokemon joins the fight, utilizing its lightning-quick movements and electric abilities. Zeraora has the unique ability to charge up its special attacks to become even more potent.

Zeraora is a light character with exceptional mobility and many abilities with low end lag.

Jab: Zeraora viciously swipes jabs twice, then uses Fury Swipes as a rapid jab.

Dash Attack: Zeraora disappears into a bolt of lightning and blinks forward a few feet, hitting enemies in the path.

Forward Tilt: Zeraora punches forward. Hit the attack button again to follow up with a second swipe to launch opponents.

Up Tilt: Zeraora punches upward and has a small ball of electricity at its peak. The electricity is a sweetspot dealing bonus damage and knockback.

Down Tilt: Zeraora swipes twice at ground level in front of it.

Forward Smash: Zeraora coats it’s paws in electricty. It then slashes forward with its claws, striking twice. The first hit has a stun effect.

Up Smash: Zeraora uses Wild Charge, causing it to jump upward covered in electricity, striking all foes above.

Down Smash: Zeraora uses Shock Wave, letting out a wave of electricity on both sides.

Neutral Air: Zeraora swipes in front and behind.

Forward Air: Zeraora claps its paws together, letting out a wave of electricity.

Up Air: Zeraora slashes both claws upward, also granting mild upward momentum. Can help extend a recovery.

Back Air: Zeraora swipes behind itself. This turns Zeraora around to lead into other follow ups.

Down Air: Zeraora flips forward and kicks downward. The move has a sweetspot at the foot which has a meteor effect.

Neutral Special: Charge. Charge empowers the next special attack Zeraora uses. The properties vary from move to move. If Zeraora reuses charge while a charge is active, it discharges the energy in a circular space around Zeraora.

Side Special: Plasma Fists. Zeraora jumps forward extremely quickly. If it catches an opponent in the jump, Zeraora punches the opponent multiple times, finishing with a launching blow. Landing Plasma Fists grants Charged status.
*When Charged, Zeraora’s Plasma Fists have one extra strike, causing more damage, and launching with greater power. Landing charged Plasma Fists will cause the Charge to be retained.

Down Special: Thunder Wave. Zeraora emits a short-range wave of electricity that stuns opponents briefly. Squirtle’s Project M Bubblebeam is roughly what the hitbox looks like. The move also carries the same properties as Squirtle’s PM Bubblebeam in the air, where it is launched at a 45 degree angle downward.
*When Charged, The attack has double range.

Up Special: Thunderpunch. Zeraora uppercuts at breakneck speed with a hard-hitting Thunderpunch.
*When charged, Thunderpuch travels farther. If Zeraora is to make contact with an opponent, a large shockwave is released from the point of contact hitting other enemies in the immediate area and causing extra damage to the opponent.

Zeraora has quickly resonated with me as a Pokemon. My player tag for Smash tournaments has been Thundercatz since I started playing competitive Smash a few years ago. It was originally because I played Marth, and y'know, his upsmash is the Thundercats. However I stopped playing Marth while keeping the name. Now, here we are, a legitimate Thunder Cat has been revealed as a mythic Pokemon, who I believe has a legitimate shot at being a playable character. Here are several points working in Zeraora's favor:

-The idea for Zeraora has to have at least been around since Sun and Moon as he's still a Gen 7 Pokemon, so it was likely not created too late to be considered.

-The timing for its official reveal and the new movie has been planned in a way that almost perfectly lines up becoming a potential Smash character.

-We don't have a playable Mythic Pokemon yet

-The point that there likely won't be two electric type Pokemon, I feel, is an arbitrary rule established by us speculators. While not a direct comparison, the Fire Emblem franchise is still represented by characters who all wield swords, even though there's a couple who stray from that slightly in Robin and Corrin. The argument here is that Fire Emblem's major characters basically all wield swords, and that is fairly true, however there have been options who were looked past in favor of sword wielders. If Sakurai can think of an interesting moveset/general idea for a character, it does not matter whether their type overlaps until he states otherwise.

TheHumanSonikku

Smash Cadet
I had an idea of Volt Absorb being a special move. My special moves were something like this, keeping Zeraora's quick playstyle.

Neutral B - Plasma Fist: Zeraora dashes forwards a short distance. If he hits, he'll perform two punches, similarly to Little Mac's side tilt attack. When an opponent is hit, their attacks will be of the electric attribute, giving them similar "stun" effects electric attacks give in Smash. This effect will last about 4 seconds, but the timer will reset if Plasma Fist hits again.

Side B - Close Combat: (This reflects on the speculation that Zera could have been an Elec/Fighting type at some point) Zera pounces forwards, and if he hits the opponent, he performs a series of punches and kicks. (Similar to Wartooth's version of Plasma Fist) After the attack hits, Zera will flash red, having his defenses down, causing him to take x1.5 the damage and knock back a normal attack would deal with him.

Up B- Volt Switch: Zeraora forms an electrical shield and spins (similar to how Sonic does), flying in a direction similar to how Fire Fox works. Zera can slightly arc his trajectory during the "launching" portion of the attack. Once Zera collides with an opponent in this state, Zera will "kick" off of them, and jump up or backward depending on what direction the control stick is held. If this misses, Zera will go into a helpless state, still holding onto the momentum he had.

Down B - Volt Absorb: Zera will charge, and a blue electrical aura will surround him. While in this state, any attack with an electric attribute will, instead of damaging Zeraora, will heal him and not even make him flinch, like a type of super armor. This state will only last for 5 seconds, and can't be reactivated for 7 more.

smash puffle

Smash Ace
There's a most likely fake leak that brought up an interesting idea. Zeraora as an Echo Fighter, most likely of Lucario. That's pretty interesting considering how both of these Pokemon have very similar body types...

PokéfreakofBACON

Smash Ace
NNID
PokefreakofBACON
Switch FC
SW-7469-1948-3865
Zeraora would be a perfect echo fighter of Lucario. Lucario is the kind of character that NEEDS an echo fighter, because similarly to marth/roy, he has a gimmick that is intrusive and annoying to some, but not so integral that removing it is impossible. Zeraora could quite easily just be a model swap of Lucario and the movements and animations would already work well.

Here's what I would change:
-The Aura mechanic is gone. All moves have the power and range of Lucario with 60% damage aura.
-All aura-based moves are now electric based, causing more hitstun as a result.
-Neutral B is discharge, and works more as a stun move than a kill move. Still functionally the same, give or take. (ZSS or Corrin neutral B's are similar.)
-Side B, unlike other moves, has the maximum range that Lucario has with Side B. He creates a lightning bolt in front of him.
-Down B is still a counter, but it's a punch (Plasma Fist) and it heals him slightly. (Volt Absorb) He still teleports and rushes forward, just with his hand instead of his foot.
-Aesthetic changes, different taunts, and aura visual effects are replaced by electricity.
-Different Final Smash: Gigavolt Havoc Pummeling! Zeraora dashes forward, and catches the first person he runs into. He then stuns them in place, and does the Electric Z-move pose (the one the trainer does) before using thunder punch repeatedly (bonus points if he says "ORAORAORAORA" while he's doing it) then a final, stronger punch to finish them off.

That would be a perfect echo fighter in my eyes. It's in-character for Zeraora, a great representation of all his gimmicks in pokemon, while still being VERY similar to Lucario as an echo fighter alternative.

Put Out <3

Smash Rookie
Zeraora would be a perfect echo fighter of Lucario. Lucario is the kind of character that NEEDS an echo fighter, because similarly to marth/roy, he has a gimmick that is intrusive and annoying to some, but not so integral that removing it is impossible. Zeraora could quite easily just be a model swap of Lucario and the movements and animations would already work well.

Here's what I would change:
-The Aura mechanic is gone. All moves have the power and range of Lucario with 60% damage aura.
-All aura-based moves are now electric based, causing more hitstun as a result.
-Neutral B is discharge, and works more as a stun move than a kill move. Still functionally the same, give or take. (ZSS or Corrin neutral B's are similar.)
-Side B, unlike other moves, has the maximum range that Lucario has with Side B. He creates a lightning bolt in front of him.
-Down B is still a counter, but it's a punch (Plasma Fist) and it heals him slightly. (Volt Absorb) He still teleports and rushes forward, just with his hand instead of his foot.
-Aesthetic changes, different taunts, and aura visual effects are replaced by electricity.
-Different Final Smash: Gigavolt Havoc Pummeling! Zeraora dashes forward, and catches the first person he runs into. He then stuns them in place, and does the Electric Z-move pose (the one the trainer does) before using thunder punch repeatedly (bonus points if he says "ORAORAORAORA" while he's doing it) then a final, stronger punch to finish them off.

That would be a perfect echo fighter in my eyes. It's in-character for Zeraora, a great representation of all his gimmicks in pokemon, while still being VERY similar to Lucario as an echo fighter alternative.
Oh man, as a Lucario fan and main, I would've just loved that! That said I wouldn't be opposed to Zeraora as their own character either. Both ideas could've been great... Well I'm still gonna hold out hope as I want them more than Fire bun

But yeah as a big Lucario fan, if we really got another character that was like an alternate take on their style. Man I woulda loved that!

Top Bottom