• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sunrise, Sunset - Isaac for Smash Ultimate #GoldenSunday

KMDP

Smash Legend
Isaac is the third most replied to Newcomer Speculation board, after K. Rool and Ashley. Of course, K. Rool has more than both Ashley and Isaac combined. XD

SonicLink125

Smash Lord
NNID
SonicLink
I'm just glad that Isaac is in at least the top 5 most wanted.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
It took fifteen months to get to 1000 posts, and less than one to get 1000 more.

That’s just surreal. Let it not be said people don’t still care about Isaac! :D

SonicLink125

Smash Lord
NNID
SonicLink
So, this has been bugging me since they announced Smash Ultimate back in March and want to know what you guys think. This is a "tinfoil hat theory" so don't take it seriously. I just find it rather...coincidental, I guess.

Remember Project M? Of course a lot of us do. Especially when we learned that Isaac and others were being made playable in the game. Unfortunately, the creators cease production of the mod to pursue other interests. Even though Nintendo has constantly tried to stop them in the past, the Project M modders state that Nintendo's warnings were not the reason they stopped.

Tinfoil Hat On! What if instead, Nintendo gave them the opportunity to help work on Smash Ultimate? And they could have helped get Isaac into Smash finally.

Counter argument: If that were true, wouldn't Lyn and Knuckles be playable too?
Me: .....oh.....true....

Just food for thought but it makes me think because the ballot "ended" in December and the PM modders ceased in December of the same year. Coincidence? Who knows? And don't forget there was already positions for "Smash 6" going up too.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
So, this has been bugging me since they announced Smash Ultimate back in March and want to know what you guys think. This is a "tinfoil hat theory" so don't take it seriously. I just find it rather...coincidental, I guess.

Remember Project M? Of course a lot of us do. Especially when we learned that Isaac and others were being made playable in the game. Unfortunately, the creators cease production of the mod to pursue other interests. Even though Nintendo has constantly tried to stop them in the past, the Project M modders state that Nintendo's warnings were not the reason they stopped.

Tinfoil Hat On! What if instead, Nintendo gave them the opportunity to help work on Smash Ultimate? And they could have helped get Isaac into Smash finally.

Just food for thought but it makes me think because the ballot "ended" in December and the PM modders ceased in December of the same year. Coincidence? Who knows? And don't forget there was already positions for "Smash 6" going up too.
Interesting theory, but the Project M guys rebranded as Wavedash Games and are now making this weirdness...

I'm just glad that Isaac is in at least the top 5 most wanted.
Maybe so (on this site at least). That said, a thread's activity isn't the best barometer for actual popularity. There's times it's just been the same circle of users keeping a thread super active.

KMDP

Smash Legend
Maybe so (on this site at least). That said, a thread's activity isn't the best barometer for actual popularity. There's times it's just been the same circle of users keeping a thread super active.
The only way to actually gauge a character's popularity is to individually go to each thread and count their support lists.
Give me a few minutes and I'll count the supporters for K. Rool, Ashley, Bandana Dee and Geno.

--
EDIT: A top ten most active thread list, with list of Supporters, has been compiled. By me. You can find it on the Ultimate Discussion Thread here.

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Don't mind me, just popping in to say hi. I've heard the thread is really active lately. Personally I'm somewhat optimistic about Isaac's chances, so here's hoping. :D

Isaac: Venus Adept

Smash Lord

I hope Nintendo has been aware of fan Smash games and noticed the appearance of Isaac in two of the biggest ones to note how popular he is and the potential he has. Isaac could've soared in popularity if PM wasn't discontinued seeing how big the user base was, I wish it happened and the moveset they had for him looked so good, I prefer it over the SSF2 one although that one is still fine =(

DjinnandTonic

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0619-5629-0198
If the only thing Camelot is allowed to make is sports game, then bring on Golden Sun 4: Weyard's Lighthouse Volleyball Championship!

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Interesting theory, but the Project M guys rebranded as Wavedash Games and are now making this weirdness...

Not to mention that a certain ex-Project M staffer is the driving force behind
Doki Doki Literature Club

If the only thing Camelot is allowed to make is sports game, then bring on Golden Sun 4: Weyard's Lighthouse Volleyball Championship!
Given their recent performance on sports games, they have no other choice but to go big or go home.

Last edited:

B00M

Smash Rookie
I never realized how much I wanted this game until right now... Make it happen Nintendo!

lanky_gunner

Smash Master
The Moon, with the Fierce Deity Mask in hand
NNID
lanky_gunner
3DS FC
3179-6065-1453
Switch FC
SW-6340-2624-9135
The only way to actually gauge a character's popularity is to individually go to each thread and count their support lists.
Give me a few minutes and I'll count the supporters for K. Rool, Ashley, Bandana Dee and Geno.

--
EDIT: A top ten most active thread list, with list of Supporters, has been compiled. By me. You can find it on the Ultimate Discussion Thread here.
Glad to see Issac has so many supporters!

Although I went back and checked the list, and I could of sworn I posted a while ago I wanted to be added to the list? Oh well, must of been missed in the plethora of other supporters.

I'll support him till the day i die... or until he's revealed. Hopefully the latter.

Last edited:

KMDP

Smash Legend
Glad to see Issac has so many supporters!

Although I went back and checked the list, and I could of sworn I posted a while ago I wanted to be added to the list? Oh well, must of been missed in the plethora of other supporters.

I'll support him till the day i die... or until he's revealed. Hopefully the latter.
Quick! To the True Blue Warrior True Blue Warrior signal!

It's encouraging that Isaac is the second most supported character. (Though K. Rool has, like twice as many. XD

ThoughtfulWanderer

Smash Lord
Quick! To the True Blue Warrior True Blue Warrior signal!

It's encouraging that Isaac is the second most supported character. (Though K. Rool has, like twice as many. XD
K. Rool has twice as many and much of everything. Supporters, pages, replies, ego, body weight, you name it.

I can't believe that Isaac's list outnumbers so many characters. It might just be a product of this site being where a lot of the hardcore fans flock to and not being truly representative, but it at least could be an encouraging sign.

KMDP

Smash Legend
K. Rool has twice as many and much of everything. Supporters, pages, replies, ego, body weight, you name it.

I can't believe that Isaac's list outnumbers so many characters. It might just be a product of this site being where a lot of the hardcore fans flock to and not being truly representative, but it at least could be an encouraging sign.
The top 10 most supported list has interesting implications, if a) true, b) accurate and c) representative.

It seems like K. Rool and Isaac along with possibly Dixie and BWD are the "God, just add them already Sakurai!" characters from the Western side of the audience. (Ridley was also one, but... well... you know...)

Last edited:

Falgor

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3652-0587-5880
It took fifteen months to get to 1000 posts, and less than one to get 1000 more.

That’s just surreal. Let it not be said people don’t still care about Isaac! :D
On the subreddit, we have a couple of people that are negative and pessimistic to the point of it being a bit uncomfortable for the others, honestly...
I wish they could hear what you say. Even though it most likely wouldn't work since they don't believe it (or even get angry...) when others say such things anyway.

I understand not wanting to be disappointed, but trying to crush the hope of others is something else...
I find that attitude pretty unpleasant and I don't refrain from telling them.
But enough with that, after all I'm talking about a tiny minority!

Okay so to launch another little topic: If Isaac ends up playable, against which character would you test it first? I'd probably use him against FE characters. :smash:

KMDP

Smash Legend
Okay so to launch another little topic: If Isaac ends up playable, against which character would you test it first? I'd probably use him against FE characters. :smash:
This is a good question.
Great... now I'm wracking my brain trying to remember who I try new characters on.

I think I usually test characters on Mario? Yeah, that sounds about right.

ThatShadowLink

Smash Ace
NNID
ThatShadowLink
Gonna destroy Shulk; show him who's the better blond JRPG protagonist around these parts.

Last edited:

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
On the subreddit, we have a couple of people that are negative and pessimistic to the point of it being a bit uncomfortable for the others, honestly...
I wish they could hear what you say. Even though it most likely wouldn't work since they don't believe it (or even get angry...) when others say such things anyway.

I understand not wanting to be disappointed, but trying to crush the hope of others is something else...

Link to this subreddit?

ThoughtfulWanderer

Smash Lord

I'm absolutely on the more pessimistic side, but you won't see me saying he doesn't have a fighting chance.

I always pick random CPUs, but I know I'll have him join with Shulk in a team battle.

Gonna destroy Shulk; show him who's the better blond JRPG protagonist around these parts.
Use that anger on Cloud, instead! Show him that with all the Psynergy and Djinn, there's more to winning a battle than just having a sword!

Last edited:

NessAtc.

Fukou Da...
NNID
nintenstar98
3DS FC
4699-7691-7794
Switch FC
SW-2476-6260-3913
If Isaac gets confirmed, I will actually do my best to unlock him first just so I can get everyone else with him

I'd probably livestream it for you guys here too

Last edited:

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
Once I get a fav character, I’ll run through whatever I can with them. If there’s a story mode, I’ll use Isaac everywhere I can. If not, I’ll run through Classic with him.

Falgor

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3652-0587-5880

RandomAce

Smash Champion
Idk why but I want to put Issac against Wolf. (Or Lycanroc if he was a newcomer, plz).

Weird matchups, I know, but those are going to be the two (or three) characters I’m going to be very interested in playing when I get the game.

Kinda crazy to think that if this was true, I can have the protagonist of Golden Sun fight against a Star Fox character. That’s Smash for ya.

(Also after the recent Amiibo news, I want me an Issac and Elma amiibo.)

Last edited:

ThoughtfulWanderer

Smash Lord
Idk why but I want to put Issac against Wolf. (Or Lycanroc if he was a newcomer, plz).
Earth user against earth user, who will win? That's a fun rivalry right there.

Kinda crazy to think that if this was true, I can have the protagonist of Golden Sun fight against a Star Fox character. That’s Smash for ya.
I'm so big into characters like Isaac and Banjo joining the roster because it means you've singlehandedly created 70+ crossovers at once that nobody would ever think of. Joining Smash is like becoming a part of a giant family. It's absurd, almost nobody is actually related, but they all share the fact that they embody Nintendo and/or childhood and that's why I love it.

By the way, we're all talking about characters to match Isaac up against like they're rivals, but who would Isaac get along best with in Smash? I've always felt that he and Shulk were a part of a very similar cast of characters, and of course, they're both level-headed and kind-hearted blonde JRPG protagonists.

NessAtc.

Fukou Da...
NNID
nintenstar98
3DS FC
4699-7691-7794
Switch FC
SW-2476-6260-3913
Isaac and Lucas would be best friends, they both lost family members

Falgor

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3652-0587-5880

Weird matchups, I know, but those are going to be the two (or three) characters I’m going to be very interested in playing when I get the game.

(Also after the recent Amiibo news, I want me an Issac and Elma amiibo.)
I totally get it, I'd be super excited at the idea of making Isaac fight in a team with some Pokémon!
That would be the best possible crossover ever, in my opinion.

I'm so big into characters like Isaac and Banjo joining the roster because it means you've singlehandedly created 70+ crossovers at once that nobody would ever think of. Joining Smash is like becoming a part of a giant family. It's absurd, almost nobody is actually related, but they all share the fact that they embody Nintendo and/or childhood and that's why I love it.

By the way, we're all talking about characters to match Isaac up against like they're rivals, but who would Isaac get along best with in Smash? I've always felt that he and Shulk were a part of a very similar cast of characters, and of course, they're both level-headed and kind-hearted blonde JRPG protagonists.
Well I talked about Pokémon, and despite them not talking (besides Meowth in the anime), Isaac is used to friendly creatures that use magical powers so I think they'd get along.

Last edited:

RandomAce

Smash Champion

Woah! I just realized Issac and Lycanroc are both earth users, and they both my most wanted! (well Midday and Midnight by the way)

I kind of sucks that they removed the only rock type move in the game (Charizard’s Rock Smash) so hopefully having those will definitely make up for it. They’ll both stand out!

Last edited:

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
If King K Rool gets in as well I want to beat him up as Isaac.

A four way battle between Isaac, Banjo & Kazooie, Shulk and King K Rool would also be awesome.

_Sheik

Smash Lord

Mario, because they can both jump up in the air and sing "let's do the Odyssey!"

I'm out.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
I saw it mentioned on the K Rool thread that someone had a conversation with another person who had information on the ballot. Apparently Daisy came in 20th after the removal of meme characters.

So the question is, do we think Isaac scored better than Daisy?

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
I saw it mentioned on the K Rool thread that someone had a conversation with another person who had information on the ballot. Apparently Daisy came in 20th after the removal of meme characters.

Don’t think I’d trust that “insider info”. But I’d say almost assuredly. Most Dixie fans are DK fans in general, and with only one vote, I’m guessing they went for K. Rool.

NoOtherPersona

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4922-9697-9289

well if he did good as we thought then hopefully

ThoughtfulWanderer

Smash Lord

Probably, just because of the divide between Mario fans who want Toad, Geno, and especially Waluigi versus Daisy. Not a guarantee though. Daisy's well-known with casuals.

Don’t think I’d trust that “insider info”. But I’d say almost assuredly. Most Dixie fans are DK fans in general, and with only one vote, I’m guessing they went for K. Rool.
Many people do use different IPs to vote for more than one character. There are probably a good number of DK fans who want both that did this.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
I was just thinking about what the top 20 might have looked like.

Bayonetta, Snake, Wolf seem like obvious picks.

Ice Climbers is another one I think is likely.

Pichu and Young Link probably did reasonably well but for some reason I think they may have been outside the top 20 (particularly the latter two)

Pokemon Trainer I'm unsure about but they were probably top 20 when you combined votes for them, Squirtle and Ivysaur.

After that King K Rool, Ridley, Isaac, Ashley, Bandana Dee, Daisy, Geno and perhaps Inklings are likely.

That brings us to 13 so we need another 7.

I get the vibe a Sonic character would have been up there so let's add Shadow. I know he was an assist trophy but Sonic fans are kinda intense. (like Ridley fans :p)

This may be wishful thinking but there was a buzz surrounding Banjo & Kazooie at the time due to Microsoft openness to having them in Smash so they might have slipped into the top 20.

I'm not sure about the last five. The question at this point is do we have top 20 characters who have already been disconfirmed. Did Krystal or Bomberman break into the top 20?

Simon Belmont may have been in the top 20 as well if vergeben is to be believed.

That leaves us with 4 and I have no idea who to pick. I don't think Waluigi had as much of a buzz around him back then, so being an assist was likely enough to push him outside the top 20.

Edit: Dixie was probably in the top 20. Though I think having such strong competition in K Rool among Donkey Kong fans might have damaged her.

So, 3 more left.

Dare I say perhaps Shovel Knight made his way into the top 20? I'm always seeing him on YouTube most wanted videos.

Now that I think about it, Rayman was probably popular due to his inclusion as a trophy, though his lack of popularity in Japan may have dragged him down.

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
IMO, Snake probably "won" the ballot. He's a hugely popular character both among casual and hardcore fans, a veteran, a third party, and got singled out as being back due to "popular demand" by Sakurai.

K. Rool and Banjo were likely in the top 5 worldwide. Inkling, Wolf, and Isaac all found themselves in the top 10 I'm sure.

Last edited:
Top Bottom