• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sunrise, Sunset - Isaac for Smash Ultimate #GoldenSunday

ThoughtfulWanderer

Smash Lord
I was just thinking about what the top 20 might have looked like.

Bayonetta, Snake, Wolf seem like obvious picks.

Ice Climbers is another one I think is likely.

Pichu and Young Link probably did reasonably well but for some reason I think they may have been outside the top 20 (particularly the latter two)

Pokemon Trainer I'm unsure about but they were probably top 20 when you combined votes for them, Squirtle and Ivysaur.

After that King K Rool, Ridley, Isaac, Ashley, Bandana Dee, Daisy, Geno and perhaps Inklings are likely.

That brings us to 13 so we need another 7.

I get the vibe a Sonic character would have been up there so let's add Shadow. I know he was an assist trophy but Sonic fans are kinda intense. (like Ridley fans :p)

This may be wishful thinking but there was a buzz surrounding Banjo & Kazooie at the time due to Microsoft openness to having them in Smash so they might have slipped into the top 20.

I'm not sure about the last five. The question at this point is do we have top 20 characters who have already been disconfirmed. Did Krystal or Bomberman break into the top 20?

Simon Belmont may have been in the top 20 as well if vergeben is to be believed.

That leaves us with 4 and I have no idea who to pick. I don't think Waluigi had as much of a buzz around him back then, so being an assist was likely enough to push him outside the top 20.

Edit: Dixie was probably in the top 20. Though I think having such strong competition in K Rool among Donkey Kong fans might have damaged her.
I was not seeing much outcry for Squirtle or Ivysaur at all during Smash 4 or pre-Ultimate. I'd be shocked if they were in the top 20 when the transformation concept was poorly done at the time and they still kept the most popular of the bunch in Smash 4. Pichu and Young Link definitely weren't there either, but Icies, Snake, and Wolf definitely were.

The newcomers (including Shadow and Banjo) I all agree with. Simon's iffy but I wouldn't be surprised if he had that popularity so we'll add him there.

Disconfirmed characters or previous ATs are all super difficult to place. Skull Kid could've made it, Bomberman could've made it, Lyn could've made it, but I don't think Krystal did just because most people were voting for Wolf. They also could be lower down because fans were discouraged by their existing role and thought the ballot was for Smash 4, but I think a few of them still broke through.

I'd add at least Waluigi (huge casual fanbase), Lloyd or Heihachi (Mii costumes and the latter being planned), Rayman (Omni and the trophy got people excited for the possibility), and Isabelle (See Waluigi) to the list.

That's 17. Perhaps Dixie, another Mario character like Toad or Paper Mario, another third party with a passionate fanbase like Sora, or a few other ATs to round it out but I'm skeptical.

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend

Bayonetta, Snake, Wolf seem like obvious picks.

Ice Climbers is another one I think is likely.

Pichu and Young Link probably did reasonably well but for some reason I think they may have been outside the top 20 (particularly the latter two)

Pokemon Trainer I'm unsure about but they were probably top 20 when you combined votes for them, Squirtle and Ivysaur.

After that King K Rool, Ridley, Isaac, Ashley, Bandana Dee, Daisy, Geno and perhaps Inklings are likely.

That brings us to 13 so we need another 7.

I get the vibe a Sonic character would have been up there so let's add Shadow. I know he was an assist trophy but Sonic fans are kinda intense. (like Ridley fans :p)

This may be wishful thinking but there was a buzz surrounding Banjo & Kazooie at the time due to Microsoft openness to having them in Smash so they might have slipped into the top 20.

I'm not sure about the last five. The question at this point is do we have top 20 characters who have already been disconfirmed. Did Krystal or Bomberman break into the top 20?

Simon Belmont may have been in the top 20 as well if vergeben is to be believed.

That leaves us with 4 and I have no idea who to pick. I don't think Waluigi had as much of a buzz around him back then, so being an assist was likely enough to push him outside the top 20.

Edit: Dixie was probably in the top 20. Though I think having such strong competition in K Rool among Donkey Kong fans might have damaged her.

So, 3 more left.

Dare I say perhaps Shovel Knight made his way into the top 20? I'm always seeing him on YouTube most wanted videos.

Now that I think about it, Rayman was probably popular due to his inclusion as a trophy, though his lack of popularity in Japan may have dragged him down.
Waluigi definitely did well on the ballot. I doubt being an Assist Trophy would deter his fanbase. You got the meme guys who will nominate him for kicks, and you got the hardcore Smash fans who probably figured the ballot would come into play for future games.

Isabelle seems like a likely contender, she’s very popular and has a wide reach.

Maybe Chrom and the Chorus Kids did well?

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
Even if Isabelle is popular I don't really see her having that rabid fan dedication behind her that would have counteracted her being an assist trophy.

Chrom might have done well though I think he may have still been outside the top 20. Chorus Kids are a tough one, since all of their popularity would have come from leaks, I'm going to say no for top 20 though.

StormC

Smash Hero
It's definitely hard to get a feel for how well deconfirmed characters did on the ballot, especially since some polls didn't even include them. My gut feeling is Ridley, the most popular deconfirmed character, probably barely missed the top 10 but got into the top 15-20. I fully believe his fairly high ballot placement encouraged Sakurai to reconsider him, but was not the sole factor or source of the "outcry."

-Snake
-Banjo-Kazooie
-King K. Rool
-Wolf
-Isaac
-Inkling
-Bayonetta

These were the heavy hitters with a pretty consistent presence on most sites. Then some other characters that were popular on certain sites but not necessarily across the board:

-Daisy
-Shovel Knight
-Ice Climbers
-Dixie Kong
-Geno
-Bandana Dee
-Captain Toad

You can probably find the top 10 here... maybe throw in a wildcard like Waluigi or something. Like I said before, I think Snake/K. Rool/Banjo is a plausible top 3 when all votes across the world are tallied in. After that? I'm not sure. But I also would say globally, K. Rool/Isaac/Inkling are top 3 for Nintendo newcomers.

Last edited:

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
I think Sakurai was already well aware of Ridleys intense popularity before the ballot.

He also probably considered that stage hazard or assist trophy status would have effected the votes somewhat.

So I don't expect the ballot itself had a huge impact on that decision. (though I'm sure a top 20 placement helped)

Last edited:

isaac3000

Smash Journeyman
Do we know if Chrom is still part of Robin's final smash?

Also, i want that tennis to happen! I have that pic saved on my Golden Sun pictures folder and whenever I see it I imagine a parallel universe where Golden Sun has more sequels, spin offs, merchandise, Amiibos etc. sigh I was born in the wrong universe...

ThoughtfulWanderer

Smash Lord
Do we know if Chrom is still part of Robin's final smash?
Robin's final smash hasn't been shown yet, and he wasn't in the E3 demo. I'm silently hoping that the Japanese tournament in a few days will have an updated build so we can get some sort of new info from it.

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
Probably, just because of the divide between Mario fans who want Toad, Geno, and especially Waluigi versus Daisy. Not a guarantee though. Daisy's well-known with casuals.

Many people do use different IPs to vote for more than one character. There are probably a good number of DK fans who want both that did this.
I don't think more people used different IPs to vote for Dixie and K. Rool than used multiple IPs to ballot stuff their favorite.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
The ballot had 1.8 million votes worldwide over six months right?

If that's the case I can't imagine much double voting was going on.

If most people voted twice or more on different ips then that would mean the number of unique voters was around 900k or less. Which I guess is possible but I would have thought it would be a bit more.

On the other hand if people were frequently voting on different ips I'd kinda expect the number to be greater than 1.8 million.

Last edited:

Hydewell

Smash Apprentice
It's true that they can't act independently on creating a new Golden Sun game, as they have to get the approval of Nintendo, who owns the IP. However, if Nintendo's concern is the project taking away from developing a new Mario Tennis/Golf game, it was you that pointed out that Camelot would need to hire a team to help develop an RPG since their staff isn't big enough. The obvious approach is that once they do that, they can then split their resources into one team that develops Mario while the other develops Golden Sun.

Nintendo wouldn't say no if they still get the sports game they wanted. Camelot may not have full control, but they aren't stuck without any options of moving forward.
Yeah, but the big problem of that it would cost a lot of money for Nintendo (and probably Camelot). Remember Camelot is a 3rd party studio and Nintendo don't own them (unlike Nd Cube or Monolith, for example) so it would increase the cost a lot. You should increase their team from 40 people to more than one hundred, at least. Also, you should consider Camelot have a small office, probably. So, in the scenario you describe, the best thing would be to taking advantage of some Nintendo studio, but currently a lot of them are busy, and the free ones are starting some projects (for example, Monolith apparently will work in two projects now, because they're hiring a lot of people and recently they opened another studio).

Also, MTA was developed by 40 people, yeah. But at the same time, it reutilized a lot of the assets from MTUS, and, even so the game felt rushed and incompleted.

You need to understand the Takahashi brothers are the heads of their company and they have 30-40 employees under his command, which that means they have to pay their salaries. We don't know their situation of the studio, but maybe their only offer (or the best one) are from Nintendo to do the sports games. Yeah, they could go and act as "indies", but that means they would get debts in order to pay the salaries and also they would have to distribute their products, commercialize, do some merchadising, etc. So I can understand why they aren't more ambitious. I'm sure they still want to do some RPG games, but if no one give them this opportunity, they will work in the Mario sport titles.

On the subreddit, we have a couple of people that are negative and pessimistic to the point of it being a bit uncomfortable for the others, honestly...
I wish they could hear what you say. Even though it most likely wouldn't work since they don't believe it (or even get angry...) when others say such things anyway.

I understand not wanting to be disappointed, but trying to crush the hope of others is something else...
I find that attitude pretty unpleasant and I don't refrain from telling them.
But enough with that, after all I'm talking about a tiny minority!
Okay so to launch another little topic: If Isaac ends up playable, against which character would you test it first? I'd probably use him against FE characters. :smash:
To be fair, the most plausible scenario would be Isaac appear as an AT. I can understand why some people act as a negative ones, just to avoid the "echo camber". I mean, if you only speak with guys who support him, you will be convinced he's the most plausible candidate. I don't know if they act as jerks or not, but while we are passionate, we're a very tiny part of the Smash community. The best thing we can do, apart from publicizing the Isaac fanbase, is united the people who played Golden Sun and want a new game (or a remake of the first entries). And now that Nintendo will launch Octopath Traveler, a classic RPG game who is very expected, is the best time to let us known and push for a new entry.

I saw it mentioned on the K Rool thread that someone had a conversation with another person who had information on the ballot. Apparently Daisy came in 20th after the removal of meme characters.
I mean, it's michaelol. He and memoryman (and I think both are the same person) are known to be... "special guys". I doubt we can rely on them in anything.

Personally, my top 20 worldwide ballot, if we don't count meme characters and we remove bots and multiple votes from other people (which I'm sure it affected the poll), would be this (in any specific order):
Veterans: Snake, Wolf, Roy, Ice Climbers (4).
Newcomers:
1st: Bandana Dee, Captain Toad/Toad, King K Rool, Ridley, Dixie, Isaac, Krystal. (7)
3rd: Bayonetta, Banjo&Kazooie, Rayman, Shovel Knight, Shantae, Sora, Geno, Simon, Bomberman. (9)

I really doubt about some of them (basically, Isaac, Geno, Dixie, Simon and Krystal) because they had some problems. Isaac, Geno and Simon lack of recognition in the teen/casual audience for example. Geno and Krystal had a really huge fanbase in Brawl times, but in DLC times their fanbases lost a lot of people, but well, Sakurai itself said Geno was popular in the ballot so that means he did it well, and the presence of Krystal as an AT, like Bomberman, seems to recognize her popularity. And Dixie and Krystal suffered from their direct competition, King K Rool and Wolf.

As Top 10, probably a lot of 3rd parties were the first one. People don't consider a lot of them were heavily pushed by their creators and youtubers, and that means they were highlighted by news in gaming portals.

When I was searching the old reddit poll, I find one guy recopilated some big polls at that time, so well, if anyone is interested: https://www.reddit.com/r/smashbros/comments/8y0m2o/a_lot_of_big_polls_from_the_ssb4_dlc_discussion/

LasermasterA

Smash Champion
NNID
LasermasterA
3DS FC
1392-5385-9326
The only way to actually gauge a character's popularity is to individually go to each thread and count their support lists.
Give me a few minutes and I'll count the supporters for K. Rool, Ashley, Bandana Dee and Geno.

--
EDIT: A top ten most active thread list, with list of Supporters, has been compiled. By me. You can find it on the Ultimate Discussion Thread here.
Woah, we have the second most supporters, that's great! Time for a mini celebration! :bluejump:

I usually don't buy games day as soon as they come out, waiting for reviews and hopefully some sort of sale/discount, but if Isaac makes it into Smash Ultimate, I'll buy it DAY ONE (and the switch if I don't have one by then) and unlock him ASAP!!!! Nothing will stop me from maining our Golden Boy the day he comes out!

Last edited:

_Sheik

Smash Lord
Of course characters who got into the top 20 could have been sent to the AT pile (Krystal, Bomberman...). Or did you expect 20 newcomers in a game that brought back all the veterans? :p

Last edited:

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
Of course characters who got into the top 20 could have been sent to the AT pile (Krystal, Bomberman...). Or did you expect 20 newcomers in a game that brought back all the veterans? :p
To be fair some of that top 20 were likely veterans. (It's probably part of why Sakurai brought them all back in the first place) Plus one of them was likely Bayonetta. That's at least 5 out of the 20 accounted for already.

Then take out the possibility of Ridley, Inkling and Daisy and that could be another 3 taken out of the remaining 15.

So we're left with 12 more characters. Which reduces the playing field quite a bit going forward.

ThoughtfulWanderer

Smash Lord
Yeah, but the big problem of that it would cost a lot of money for Nintendo (and probably Camelot). Remember Camelot is a 3rd party studio and Nintendo don't own them (unlike Nd Cube or Monolith, for example) so it would increase the cost a lot. You should increase their team from 40 people to more than one hundred, at least. Also, you should consider Camelot have a small office, probably. So, in the scenario you describe, the best thing would be to taking advantage of some Nintendo studio, but currently a lot of them are busy, and the free ones are starting some projects (for example, Monolith apparently will work in two projects now, because they're hiring a lot of people and recently they opened another studio).

Also, MTA was developed by 40 people, yeah. But at the same time, it reutilized a lot of the assets from MTUS, and, even so the game felt rushed and incompleted.

You need to understand the Takahashi brothers are the heads of their company and they have 30-40 employees under his command, which that means they have to pay their salaries. We don't know their situation of the studio, but maybe their only offer (or the best one) are from Nintendo to do the sports games. Yeah, they could go and act as "indies", but that means they would get debts in order to pay the salaries and also they would have to distribute their products, commercialize, do some merchadising, etc. So I can understand why they aren't more ambitious. I'm sure they still want to do some RPG games, but if no one give them this opportunity, they will work in the Mario sport titles.
The bolded is important. The team is small, certainly, but we don't know what their situation is, whether it be good or bad. Camelot isn't a company you hear from often, so it's all assumption until proven otherwise. Even so, it's not unbelievable to imagine Nintendo could help fund and/or supervise the project.

My theory is that the problem isn't that they can't afford to do it, but they fear that a new Golden Sun will end up like Dark Dawn in fan reception and it'll all go to waste. So really, they need to be convinced that it's worth pursuing again, and Smash is the most obvious tool to do that.

Minor correction: Camelot is actually a second party developer, not a third party. So they aren't owned by Nintendo but are specifically contracted to publish only for Nintendo. :)

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
To be fair some of that top 20 were likely veterans. (It's probably part of why Sakurai brought them all back in the first place) Plus one of them was likely Bayonetta. That's at least 5 out of the 20 accounted for already.

Then take out the possibility of Ridley, Inkling and Daisy and that could be another 3 taken out of the remaining 15.

So we're left with 12 more characters. Which reduces the playing field quite a bit going forward.
If Sakurai has decided to negotiate with the various companies related to the third-parties (mainly the ones openly wanting their mascots in) early on or after the base game is complete, that takes out 6, 7 or 8 characters. That's something that could happen, too.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master

As much as I’d love 12 new characters, I feel it’s a bit of a disservice to say that we have that many additional characters with the number of returning veterans. Specifically veterans not featured in Smash 4. My theory has always been 15 original additions (Echoes don’t count). That would give us Wolf, Snake, Ice Climbers, Young Link, Pichu, Squirtle, and Ivysaur for 7 already added to the game. Plus two newly announced fighters to bring us to 9. That would leave us with 6 if the 15 theory is correct.

To be fair, that does give some room for characters overall, just not so much as 12.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
That would give us Wolf, Snake, Ice Climbers, Young Link, Pichu, Squirtle, and Ivysaur for 7 already added to the game.
I think it's pretty disignenious to count Young Link and Pichu as newcomers from a development point of view. I mean the far more unique Wolf only took around 70% of the effort for an entirely new character and Young Link and Pichu are far more clone-like than Wolf.

YwhaletailY

Smash Rookie
Hey guys,

New to smashboards but I'd like to offer my support for Isaac. Golden Sun was undoubtedly my favorite RPG series growing up. Having Isaac in smash has always been a dream, as I can't imagine a newcomer with better moveset potential. As the years go by, it is has become evident that the entire fate of the series likely rests on his inclusion in smash, as it is all but dead as of now.

It's great to see he still has a sizeable following, and I have no doubt his inclusion would peak the interest of casuals that could become the tipping point for a GS4. Between the elemental and telekinetic powers, the djinn, and the summons (not to mention the classic sword user), Isaac has so many different options that would appeal to people not acquainted with the series. Just give us that chance Sakurai!

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Updated support list.
  1. _Sheik
  2. 1/128
  3. 9Blades
  4. ☆Jisatsu☆
  5. *Verrix*
  6. Accursed
  7. Adeptmune
  8. Agk0001
  9. AgatioGanon
  10. Aguki90
  11. airConditioner
  12. aldelaro5
  13. alguidrag
  14. Altais
  15. Amberloo
  16. AncientArk
  17. andimidna
  18. Androobie
  19. Apollyon
  20. Aqua Rock X
  21. AquaDork1
  22. AquaSol
  23. Arcadenik
  24. Arteen
  25. Asian_Charizard
  26. Astraltar
  27. Aureola
  28. Aurora Jenny
  29. AustarusIV
  30. AwesomeCauliflower68
  31. Awesomedude444
  32. Backgammon
  33. Balgorxz
  34. BandannaWaddleDee
  35. Bane84
  36. bassem6
  37. Bassoonist
  38. Billybae10k
  39. Bingoshi
  40. Bkupa666
  41. Blackwolf666
  42. Blaziken
  43. BluePikmin11
  44. BoltDragon
  45. BoN~
  46. Bowser-Daimao
  47. BravadoMan_13
  48. BridgesWithTurtles
  49. Browny
  50. Buddy002
  51. Bunny8093
  52. BUnit
  53. Burruni
  54. Calane
  55. CactusBlah
  56. candyissweet
  57. Capita
  58. Cap'nChreest
  59. Captain Toad
  60. CardStealer1
  61. Chapter Serf
  62. CheckmateChuck
  63. CheeseBroJoe
  64. Cheezey Bites
  65. Chromfirmed
  66. ChronoPenguin
  67. ClinkStryphart
  68. CliffJumper
  69. cocy965
  70. Cos.
  71. Coaltergeist
  72. Crap-Zapper
  73. CrossDispatcher
  74. cybersai
  75. Dalek_Kolt
  76. Dendros
  77. Desert Croc
  78. Destroyer713
  79. Dezeray112
  80. Dhragen
  81. Diddy Kong
  82. Dimensionsword64
  83. DivinexRose
  84. DJ3DS
  85. DJBor
  86. D-Man9293
  87. DogManStar
  88. DoodleDuck97
  89. Doncalot
  90. DraginHikari
  91. Drakonis
  92. Dromader
  93. DukeNapoleon
  94. DustyPumpkin
  95. e105beta
  96. Eagle
  97. EclipseSmash
  98. EddyBearr
  99. ED Cantu
  100. Edlocke
  101. egaddmario
  102. ElPanandero
  103. El Syd
  104. EndlessChrom
  105. EndlessRain
  106. EnhaloTricks
  107. ETFruitNinja
  108. ethanrodgers223
  109. Ezequileste
  110. Falgor
  111. Falkoopa
  112. False Sense
  113. FamiconDisk
  114. Felix_the_Slayer
  115. fenyx4
  116. ferioku
  117. Fire Rider
  118. Fire_Voyager
  119. FirstBlade
  120. Flareon
  121. Flintike
  122. fogbadge.
  123. foolssigma
  124. FreddyOnDrugs
  125. Friesnchip
  126. GalacticPetey
  127. Geno Boost
  128. Ghirahilda
  129. GladiusVortex
  130. GM_3826
  131. Golden Icarus
  132. GoodGrief741
  133. Gotann
  134. GraveEclipse567
  135. heylodom
  136. hwrdjacob
  137. iam8bit
  138. Icana
  139. iDazedX_x
  140. Inawordyes
  141. IntelliHeath1
  142. Invisible Shiny Bulbasaur
  143. isaac3000
  144. Isaac: Venus Adept
  145. IvanQuote
  146. JaidynReiman
  147. Jak_spoon
  148. Jamurai
  149. JDogindy
  150. JohnnySparkxs
  151. Just a random scrub
  152. jweb22
  153. KCCHIEFS27
  154. KeniththeGatherer
  155. KeybladeSmasher
  156. Kikaru
  157. Kind Dedede
  158. KingCloud
  159. KingShadow
  160. KiraYoshikage
  161. KirbyDragon
  162. Kirbyfan391
  163. Kisae
  164. KMDP
  165. Kokirikory
  166. Koori
  167. Kremling Man
  168. Kumatora
  169. Kycse
  170. Lady Palutena
  171. Lampy
  172. LaniusShrike
  173. lanky_gunner
  174. LasermasterA
  175. Leafeon523
  176. LeeYawshee
  177. legendofrob1
  178. LemmyKoopa
  179. lightdasher
  180. LightheartedBum
  181. Lightosia
  182. Linq
  183. littl-myth
  184. Liverpool19
  185. Lone (Thirteenth)
  186. Lonodel
  187. Lord-Zero
  188. Lucanic
  189. Lucimar
  190. Ludjinnado
  191. lunarum
  192. Lukingordex
  193. Lurxy
  194. M23-X0
  195. MacSmitty
  196. MagiusNecros
  197. MAGMIS
  198. MainJPW
  199. Malcolm Belmont
  200. MaskO'Gears
  201. Master Rapier
  202. MasterMushroom
  203. Mav485
  204. Mega Bidoof
  205. Mendelsin
  206. MetalMario128
  207. Metocles
  208. Minato Arisato
  209. Mikegamer0608
  210. Mishudo
  211. Monkokaio
  212. MonopolyRubix
  213. MorbidAltruism
  214. Moydow
  215. MrMacBeth
  216. MrToxicVoltage
  217. Mythzotick
  218. mynameisv
  219. MysticKnives
  220. N3ON
  221. Nauzgo
  222. Neo Zero
  223. NessAtc.
  224. Niala
  225. Nimbostratus
  226. Ninjakid41592
  227. Nintendokusou
  228. NitrusVirus
  229. NonSpecificGuy
  230. NoOtherPersona
  231. NoR4U
  232. Octillus
  233. Oddyesy
  234. Oniric Spriter
  235. Oracle_Summon
  236. Organization XIII
  237. otarolgam
  238. Oz37
  239. Pacack
  240. Papagenos
  241. ParanoidDrone
  242. Pcubed007
  243. Pennate
  244. Phaazoid
  245. Pizza Robo
  246. Plain Yogurt
  247. Playcube
  248. PlayfulMushroom
  249. POKEMANSPIKA
  250. Powerman293
  251. PSIguy89
  252. PrinceGal3n
  253. PWN3
  254. R.O.B.
  255. Radical Beam
  256. Radori
  257. Raetah
  258. Raziek
  259. Red Ryu
  260. RegiGygas117
  261. Retro gamer
  262. RhymeswithEmpty
  263. Roger Smith
  264. RosaPeach
  265. Royvolution Ream
  266. Ryan
  267. Ryuutakeshi
  268. Sabrewulf238
  269. Sagittarius
  270. sandfall
  271. SanicJan
  272. Scatmansworld25
  273. Scoliosis Jones
  274. Seb9k+
  275. Secret Sexytime
  276. Seleir
  277. Seoxys
  278. sheik93
  279. Shin F.
  280. Shinhed-echi
  281. Shog
  282. Sidboylol
  283. SirCamp
  284. skaaaa
  285. Skeleton o' Fun
  286. Skyblade12
  287. Skyfox2000
  288. sman3975
  289. Smash_Handle69
  290. SmashBro99
  291. smashkirby
  292. SmashShadow
  293. smashtriforce77
  294. smileMasky
  295. SmilingMad
  296. SMX
  297. Solfiner
  298. someonetookjacob
  299. SonicLink125
  300. SonicSmasher
  301. SorrowOfAcheron
  302. SoulofKhaos
  303. Spatman
  304. Spazzy_D
  305. Speedwagon
  306. Spootondorf
  307. Sqid
  308. SSBFan
  309. Staarih
  310. StaffofSmashing
  311. Strider_Bond00J
  312. StrikeBlade
  313. SuperBrawler
  314. Superfiremario
  315. Supersmash77
  316. Superyoshiom
  317. Swampasaur
  318. Sykin
  319. Takasmash
  320. TCT~Phantom
  321. TeenGirlSquad
  322. TehEpicRyuga
  323. ThatShadowLink
  324. The Curious Volnutt
  325. The One Who Wrote This
  326. Thekewlusername
  327. T-Hell
  328. TheRealHeroOfWinds
  329. TheSeanMan
  330. TheSpaceKing
  331. The Stoopid Unikorn
  332. TheTactician
  333. thethirdkoopa
  334. ThirdDay
  335. ThoughtfulWanderer
  336. ThunderOverload
  337. TimeSmash
  338. Tiyomako
  339. ToothiestAura
  340. True Blue Warrior
  341. Turmalinium
  342. UltimateWario
  343. Ultinarok
  344. Vann Accessible
  345. Vegito2727
  346. Venus of the Desert Bloom
  347. Vintage Creep
  348. Violenceman
  349. walph
  350. Warheart_666
  351. Wigglytuff ★
  352. Wintropy
  353. WhiteEaglePL
  354. Xelion
  355. Xenigma
  356. XeVioN
  357. Xiivi
  358. xLemmy_KoopaX
  359. XTremeGamer1234
  360. XxLtxX
  361. YellowLord
  362. YoshiandToad
  363. Young Horsetail
  364. Your Hero
  365. YwhaletailY
  366. zagman505
  367. zaiman12345
  368. Zandro
  369. ZanZero
  370. ZarroTsu
  371. ZeldaMaster
  372. ZestyÑ
  373. Zulyar
  374. Zuppo

ThoughtfulWanderer

Smash Lord
I think it's pretty disignenious to count Young Link and Pichu as newcomers from a development point of view. I mean the far more unique Wolf only took around 70% of the effort for an entirely new character and Young Link and Pichu are far more clone-like than Wolf.
Also, while we can assume that Snake, Wolf, Squirtle, and Ivysaur all had to be recreated from the ground up as their Brawl data would be very old at that point, we don't know how much of Icies' data was actually ported over from their failed conversion to Smash 4. Sakurai already confirmed they were testing them on both versions. They may have been for all intents and purposes, finished like any other character in Smash 4, and the effort to bring them over to Ultimate could've been minimal.

Really, I don't know how much dev time it took to make all those enhancements to the veterans and gameplay that they showed off at E3, nor do I know what new or upgraded modes they might have hiding away. But if building brand new characters from the ground up takes the most work, then we may only lose 5 or even just 4 unique newcomers by bringing every cut veteran back.

StormC

Smash Hero
The ballot had 1.8 million votes worldwide over six months right?

If that's the case I can't imagine much double voting was going on.

If most people voted twice or more on different ips then that would mean the number of unique voters was around 900k or less. Which I guess is possible but I would have thought it would be a bit more.

On the other hand if people were frequently voting on different ips I'd kinda expect the number to be greater than 1.8 million.
1.8M is honestly a pretty low sample size considering Smash 3DS sold around 8 million. I would wager due to all the double voting going on, the actual number of people voting is closer to a million, which sorta lines up with my thought that the ballot was not overtaken by a swarm of casual voters (although there were certainly many of them, I'm sure).

Organization XIII

Smash Champion
If Bayonetta actually had a good spot on the ballot I'm sure there weren't a large portion of casuals. She's really niche. Or she was but now that's she's in Smash I imagine she's more recognizable.

Kisae

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Darkkisae
On the subreddit, we have a couple of people that are negative and pessimistic to the point of it being a bit uncomfortable for the others, honestly...
I wish they could hear what you say. Even though it most likely wouldn't work since they don't believe it (or even get angry...) when others say such things anyway.

I understand not wanting to be disappointed, but trying to crush the hope of others is something else...
I find that attitude pretty unpleasant and I don't refrain from telling them.
But enough with that, after all I'm talking about a tiny minority!

Okay so to launch another little topic: If Isaac ends up playable, against which character would you test it first? I'd probably use him against FE characters. :smash:
Haha i knew you would go tu use him againt an FE character first xD Personally i will go against Link or Maybe Cloud to make a RPG battle =D

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
I've always like the idea of an Isaac v Shulk v Marth v Ness fight. Since they'd be like the figure heads of the non Pokemon Nintendo RPGs.

Hydewell

Smash Apprentice
The bolded is important. The team is small, certainly, but we don't know what their situation is, whether it be good or bad. Camelot isn't a company you hear from often, so it's all assumption until proven otherwise. Even so, it's not unbelievable to imagine Nintendo could help fund and/or supervise the project.

My theory is that the problem isn't that they can't afford to do it, but they fear that a new Golden Sun will end up like Dark Dawn in fan reception and it'll all go to waste. So really, they need to be convinced that it's worth pursuing again, and Smash is the most obvious tool to do that.

Minor correction: Camelot is actually a second party developer, not a third party. So they aren't owned by Nintendo but are specifically contracted to publish only for Nintendo. :)
Second party is just a fan concept. Basically, if Nintendo don't own them, signed an exclusive contract (like Next Level Games) or have a majority of their shares, the company can choose to work with them or not.
Even Game Freak, HAL or Intelligent Systems (though the last ones are practically Nintendo considering a lot of facts) are similar to Camelot. Game Freak worked with Sega to do that elephant game that didn't launch in a Nintendo system, for example.IIRC, HAL has done some mobile apps. The only they can't do is to work in the IPs Nintendo have the rights (or part of them).

And yeah, I agree with you with your theory. If DD had been a success (or well received), I'm sure we would have got GS4. For example, we know Nintendo wanted to do a GS3, they even confessed that in an interview. But with the criticism and the cost, I can understand how they just shut up and accept the projects, even if they work as a "support company" (like they did in MSS, doing only the tennis and the golf games).

Last edited:

Falgor

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3652-0587-5880
To be fair, I wouldn't call DD a "failure". It could easily have been more successful though, I'll give you that, but since Nintendo showed no support to promote the game, well...
I mean come on, some Golden Sun fans were not even aware of DD's existence four years after its release. The relatively inferior quality of the game compared to the GBA ones doesn't explain everything. :drohyou:

Isaac: Venus Adept

Smash Lord
1.8M is honestly a pretty low sample size considering Smash 3DS sold around 8 million. I would wager due to all the double voting going on, the actual number of people voting is closer to a million, which sorta lines up with my thought that the ballot was not overtaken by a swarm of casual voters (although there were certainly many of them, I'm sure).
Well don't forget alot of casual Smash fans weren't even aware the ballot exists or even know that there was DLC. The April 2015 Nintendo direct that the Fighter Ballot was announced on only has 1,128,780 views in America, 40k views in Europe and (I was unable to find the one for Japan,)as of today which should be at least somewhat close to the 1.8 million votes that Sakurai said it has.

Falgor

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3652-0587-5880
Well don't forget alot of casual Smash fans weren't even aware the ballot exists or even know that there was DLC. The April 2015 Nintendo direct that the Fighter Ballot was announced on only has 1,128,780 views in America, 40k views in Europe and (I was unable to find the one for Japan,)as of today which should be at least somewhat close to the 1.8 million votes that Sakurai said it has.
I mean, seeing the Direct isn't the only way people would have been made aware of the Ballot (I'm thinking of video game websites sharing the news, mainly), but honestly it does line up pretty well with the number of people we can estimate in the hardcore Smash Bros community.

And that is important: I'm sure a smallish part of the votes came from "casuals", but ultimately they're much less aware of which characters have the best chances of working in Smash. Which is why plenty of casuals asked for Goku, or at least said that's what they did. Now was it only a joke? We can't know for sure but seeing how the thing went I'd say the majority of the votes in the Ballot came from truly hardcore, well informed Smash Bros enthusiasts, and another part could be made of pretty absurd requests so the results of the Ballot must be pretty close to the ones of the polls we could see here or on Reddit.

I don't think my personal bias is talking when I say that, because if it doesn't imply Isaac had some of the most outstanding results in the Ballot either, I still took several logical parameters into account.

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
It appears that they took down the Japanese version of the Direct. The Japanese archive doesn't extend past the Culdcept Revolt Direct on May 11th, 2016. And only a couple of the individual videos remain up on their YouTube channel (and the Direct playlist in their description no longer exists).

ThoughtfulWanderer

Smash Lord
I mean, seeing the Direct isn't the only way people would have been made aware of the Ballot (I'm thinking of video game websites sharing the news, mainly), but honestly it does line up pretty well with the number of people we can estimate in the hardcore Smash Bros community.
Twitter, word-of-mouth, and other YouTube videos covering the ballot definitely made a few more people aware.

And that is important: I'm sure a smallish part of the votes came from "casuals", but ultimately they're much less aware of which characters have the best chances of working in Smash. Which is why plenty of casuals asked for Goku, or at least said that's what they did. Now was it only a joke? We can't know for sure but seeing how the thing went I'd say the majority of the votes in the Ballot came from truly hardcore, well informed Smash Bros enthusiasts, and another part could be made of pretty absurd requests so the results of the Ballot must be pretty close to the ones of the polls we could see here or on Reddit. I don't think my personal bias is talking when I say that, because if it doesn't imply Isaac had some of the most outstanding results in the Ballot either, I still took several logical parameters into account.
The less casual voters there were, the more likely Isaac is to be closer to the top.

Last edited:

NoOtherPersona

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4922-9697-9289
Here's a thought what if they make Isaac dlc for the game like he was gonna be in but they saved him for later

ThoughtfulWanderer

Smash Lord
Here's a thought what if they make Isaac dlc for the game like he was gonna be in but they saved him for later
I've thought about this many times, and it's actually pretty plausible. He's more likely in the base game, but he could've easily been low priority and put on hold like Mewtwo.

Organization XIII

Smash Champion
I don't think so. I think it's pretty clear that Sakurai's mindset for DLC was vets and gaming icons. Sadly Isaac is neither so he likely was never considered for DLC. I mean the fact we got literally 0 Nintendo newcomers outside of executive meddling is pretty revealing in that regard. Now I do think he might have been considered for the base game and just didn't make it to playable due to lower priority.

ThoughtfulWanderer

Smash Lord
I don't think so. I think it's pretty clear that Sakurai's mindset for DLC was vets and gaming icons. Sadly Isaac is neither so he likely was never considered for DLC. I mean the fact we got literally 0 Nintendo newcomers outside of executive meddling is pretty revealing in that regard. Now I do think he might have been considered for the base game and just didn't make it to playable due to lower priority.
I think they were speculating about him being DLC for Ultimate, not Smash 4.

NoOtherPersona

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4922-9697-9289
I think they were speculating about him being DLC for Ultimate, not Smash 4.
You are correct I'm curious if he even made it to the roster since with all the rumors that something might happen July 16 makes me think that rumor with king and pony tail might be true and if it is I don't know about the golden boy as hopeful as I am

Falgor

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3652-0587-5880
You are correct I'm curious if he even made it to the roster since with all the rumors that something might happen July 16 makes me think that rumor with king and pony tail might be true and if it is I don't know about the golden boy as hopeful as I am
I've seen people (on /r/SmashBros) saying the leaker finally announced this was fake. Also the date for this possible direct was apparently changed to July 22 instead.

Edit: The OP made a mistake and both dates are for different streams, so they're both valid.

Another leak talking about K. Rool and Dixie "replaced" it and contains info on the FunkoPop deal with Nintendo. But again, some people were saying that this has been known for a few days sooo...

Edit: Here's the link: https://www.reddit.com/r/smashbros/...do_direct_for_july_22nd_leaked_with_evidence/

Last edited:
Top Bottom