• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Subspace Emissary part 2

mario123007

HELLO, YOU HAVE ENTERED THE DUNK ZONE
NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
How would you feel guys feel about a sequel to the subspace emissary from brawl as a dlc expansion?
I just want a Subspace Emissary like story mode... with those new characters in it.

tr3v

Smash Cadet
NNID
TR3V07
3DS FC
4871-5923-4364
I would actually prefer that it's not a direct sequel, but I would like it to be similar to the Subspace Emissary. Looking at some of the movies in the vault, we could have some awesome cutscenes. As for the probability of it, I'm mildly optimistic. I personally think the opportunity is too good to pass up, but would take a lot of work. Some of the enemies are already programmed into Smash Run, so it would probably be pretty simple to port them into a story mode. Maybe some day.

kinbobbobkin

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Remybunny14
3DS FC
1822-1654-6056
Eh, I rather have adventure mode, but..

It would be great if the last stage isn't too long. And Master Hand/ Crazy Hand/Master Core/Fortress should be in the plot, Tabuu can be it(maybe he's the reason that Master Core exist?).

CrabLeg

Brown Boy Wonder
NNID
Maheen76220
3DS FC
4854-6626-0552
I really liked the cutscenes from Brawl, I believe they a very interesting part of the game and added a unique feel to it. They added a face to the characters. The platforming sections surprisingly went well with the feel of the game. I would definitely not mind seeing this again in Smash 4.

Last edited:

Soup's On!

Smash Cadet
I would really rather not see another Subspace Emissary. While it was a neat idea to have a big Story Mode, the plot ended up a bit... janky as so many characters were crammed into even bit roles. There was even a whole Dojo post of "Yeah, this stuff probably didn't make any sense, it was cut for time/just not explained, I'll spell it out for you". It doesn't help that so much of the stuff added felt...unnecessary. We're tapping into so many Nintendo franchises, and the big bad behind even the Smash original character (Master Hand) was some other Original the Character (Tabuu)? Also, enemies having HP and health and playing by different rules than ringout-KO was all a bit forced and felt romhack-y.

Also it just kept going and going and going and I was ready for it to stop and be over loooooong before it was.

I'd rather see Adventure/Story mode come back as just a refined, polished up Melee Adventure Mode. Keep it plotless, stick to the platforming stuff, pick any character. Give it branching routes and secret exits and such to make you want and need to replay it to see everything. Maybe a couple dozen stages, but a single run might be 6 or so. Nintendo can obviously do good CG if the trailers are any indication, so save that energy for doing 5-10 minute shorts of antics the smash crew get up to.

TroperCase

Smash Cadet
I'd like to see an adventure at Melee scale in the form of a tournament that periodically gets crashed by enemies including the subspace army as a story mode. Sometimes you'd get help from fighters you're about to face, or just beat. And there'd be Stadium bonus rounds sprinkled in, since Classic doesn't have that this time around. You choose two fighters, alternating between them when you finish a level or get knocked out (or just playing the two together in co-op.)

And before every elimination match, it shows tableaux of your upcoming opponents knocking out the teams they've beaten.

I rather like Subspace and would like to see it remade to include the attack on Meta Knight's ship and all the other assorted info Sakurai had posted on the Dojo, not to mention integrate the new fighters. But SSE is still somewhat recent so I feel it can wait until the next Smash.

Last edited:

edde

Smash Ace
NNID
edmichu
i would pay 20$ for a subspace emmisary-like dlc that gives over 48 hours of extra gameplay and comes with a dlc character or 2... some stages can sweeten the deal aswel... or make it a way to unlock all dlc character's custom moves (and make them duh) haha

yeh im a dreamer

Last edited:

CrazyPerson

Smash Journeyman
I am sure many will disagree with my opinion. (which is all any of our posts are here)

Personally I actively do not want it made.

If Nintendo made from scratch a side scroller beat em up with a bunch of nintendo characters I'd likely buy it and love it.

But life bars on enemies, boss fights all feel out of place in smash bros imo. (Master/Crazy hand as a last level was an "ok, something different" subspace bosses/Master Cores just don't feel like they belong). Subspace had little replay value... difficulty levels were horribly handled, and skills there didn't translate into the main game very well. I played it once with a friend and then once when i got my wii... and dang was i bored about half way through.

I think expanding on the games core, multiplayer, unique "health" system compared to other fighters, that can either be a great party game or great competitive showdown. I'd like single player modes that do more to prepare for this...

A side thing like Melee's' adventure... got the smash style with a few short levels between it might be good... but Subspace was the wrong direction totake the series and I want it to stay gone.

Make the sides scroller around that concept instead of shoving smash into it.

Ixbran

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
4549 - 7836 - 2775
i would pay 20$ for a subspace emissary-like dlc that gives over 48 hours of extra gameplay
I entirely agree

Really the lack of a story/adventure mode in SSB4 is the whole reason I avoided buying the game up till now. And even then, the only reason I did get it was because I was able to get it under 20 bucks, which is a fitting price for a game that feels incomplete. However I would gladly pay over $20 if it meant them releasing a Story/Adventure Mode DLC.

I mean really, Brawl's major selling point to people not into the whole fighting game aspect was the story mode for brawl, as it provided a side scrolling adventure aspect akin to classic 2D Metroid games, or the 2D Castlevania games. People who want to be able to enjoy these games, but cant because they're not into fighting games, party or other wise, finally had a mode that enabled them to enjoy the series in a non-competitive way. and really, as a game that celebrates the series developed by Nintendo in one game, there really should be something here for everyone. And the removal of Story/Adventure mode is literally like a big F U to those who don't like the fighting aspect of the series.

Traversing through stages that were both new, yet also contained elements of older Nintendo games, was amazing. It was also so cool seeing the characters interacting in the games cut-scenes. And like even if they didn't go that rout in a DLC Storymode for SSB4, they could easily make it so the games story mode used in-game cut-scenes that featured the characters the players chose. Going the silent rout as with SSE and not having them speak.

Just give us an over world map like Brawls SSE, with points that feature a stage with save points, warp points, and a final boss for each stage. Bring back the unique bosses from SSE, while also including bosses based off of the franchises included. also the inclusion of DLC stages in the new single player adventure/story mode would be even funner

Imagine getting to play the new story/adventure mode in online co-op, it would be so much fun. They could easily include the enemies included in the 3DS' versions Smash Run, while also bringing back more enemy types from SSE. There is so much they could do with a mode in SSB4, and Sakurais decision for cutting the mode simply because "I didnt wike peopwe putting teh cutscenes on youtube, weeehhhh!" was down right asinine and infantile.

Last edited:

mario123007

HELLO, YOU HAVE ENTERED THE DUNK ZONE
NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700

Frizz

Will Thwack You At 0%
Well, a lot of big Youtubers like Gamexplain did, so I don't think this is a big issue, especially on this time when Internet is just have so many leaks these days.
True, but you honestly can't blame Sakurai for doing so. He's worked hard on his games, which all goes down the drain once somebody leaks.

Ixbran

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
4549 - 7836 - 2775
Thats the thing though, when games have epic storylines people tend to post the cut scenes online. Its mainly for people who want to experience it, but don't have the console to play the game. If all game developers do what Sakurai did, then there wouldn't BE video games with awesome storylines.

Sakurais decision for cutting the mode simply because "I didnt wike peopwe putting teh cutscenes on youtube, weeehhhh!" was down right asinine and infantile.

Last edited:

Kidd Ryze

Smash Rookie
NNID
KiddRyze
3DS FC
4639-9938-5875
It would make this game so much better, dawg. This game feels so barebones compared to Brawl because of a lack of this mode. And even though Smash 4 is great, it always felt like it was missing something, and I think this mode is it.

GunGunW

Smash Lord
NNID
GunGunW
Yeah, I think Smash 4 is overall better don't get me wrong, but the single player modes in Brawl (and even Melee) were better. I think maybe Sakurai felt they were getting stale or something.

jskylinegtr

Smash Rookie
The enemies would be mostly Pokemon, and those enemies would have their Anime voices.
The Halberd Bridge would be split into two parts
Part 1 is Dialga
Part 2 is Palkia
Giratina is fought twice in both Altered and Origin
The Metroid-like area has a lot of electric type Pokemon in it and Metroid enemies
Kyurem is fought thrice, one in normal, and the other two fights are against Kyurem fused.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
The cutscenes were beautiful, problem was the story it was trying to tell was confusing at times. If they made a more clear story with it, I'd absolutely love to see cutscenes again.

Another problem was the levels felt simple, and well....bland, for something that's a Nintendo game, and a crossover nonetheless. You had a generic forest, a generic desert, a generic cave, generic water areas, even the Skyworld levels were pretty generic, you were mostly just running on a bunch of clouds and bricks. Even the Subspace Labs felt quite generic, at least as far as the background of the level went.

The enemies were all creative at least, but there weren't enough enemies from other Nintendo games. Again, it is a crossover, so it'd only make sense. But hey, Smash Run's clearly shown they've thought that aspect over again. :p

The SSE, simply put, had a lot of issues, so if they improve upon the things it was lacking in, I'd totally be all for another SSE, or at least another big story mode.

Top Bottom