• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The struggles with Ganon life

GreyFox

Smash Rookie
I have been playing Ganon for a little over a year now and I have overcome plenty of issues but recently I have hit a block. Typical I would struggle with something but have motivation to figure it out through practice or research. This past month or so I have had major issues that I figure out but then I would be presented with another just after fixing the first issue. Basically at this point I have lost faith and motivation regardless of the fact I love Ganon and he fits me perfectly. I understand this is a normal feeling when playing characters that are not the best in the meta, players like Armada and Axe have shown it happens to even the best. I'v tried picking up secondaries but I don't find any luck unless I was to completely learn a new character I currently am incapable of playing.

I'm pretty much asking how you guys feel about Ganon currently and how you deal with these blocks that seem impermeable. (I'm specifically referring to a relatively higher level of play, like ~1500 rating on ladder for reference.)

POOB

Smash Journeyman
1 word- reads. When a matchup is rough, just focus on your opponent's decision making. Play against the player. This is the best advice i can give to any low tier main in any fighting game. If it means u have to get hit 5+times before u get your read, so be it. Just always be looking for that opportunity to hit him if u see something coming

GreyFox

Smash Rookie
1 word- reads. When a matchup is rough, just focus on your opponent's decision making. Play against the player. This is the best advice i can give to any low tier main in any fighting game. If it means u have to get hit 5+times before u get your read, so be it. Just always be looking for that opportunity to hit him if u see something coming
This is some of the best advice anyone has every given me. I really haven't focused heavily on the opponents actions and patterns by themselves. Also would this be the main method you would apply to those who completely overwhelm you with Speed such as Diddy / Fox?

POOB

Smash Journeyman
This is some of the best advice anyone has every given me. I really haven't focused heavily on the opponents actions and patterns by themselves. Also would this be the main method you would apply to those who completely overwhelm you with Speed such as Diddy / Fox?
Yeah exactly. Let them do their thing and just wait til u notice a pattern, and make sure to hit him hard if he ever gets close and you see it coming. Like let's say you read an approach and do a fadeway fair or something, or read and jump and up air him. Simply examples but that's the idea

VillainsVoice

Smash Rookie
You just need to remember that if you're playing Ganondorf, your total goal isn't really to win, it's to style and stomp your opponent just for sake of breaking their bones. Get good reads and make your opponent fear you, if they're afraid of getting close to you, then you need to take that into consideration and realize that they're more than likely going to shield or roll away, so use that to your advantage. Also, if your mentality isn't to win, but to just stomp them off stage or get off cool tricks, then you'll have a lot more fun and you won't be nearly as stressed. King of Evil, man!

DahremRuhar

Smash Ace
You just need to remember that if you're playing Ganondorf, your total goal isn't really to win, it's to style and stomp your opponent just for sake of breaking their bones. Get good reads and make your opponent fear you, if they're afraid of getting close to you, then you need to take that into consideration and realize that they're more than likely going to shield or roll away, so use that to your advantage. Also, if your mentality isn't to win, but to just stomp them off stage or get off cool tricks, then you'll have a lot more fun and you won't be nearly as stressed. King of Evil, man!
Winning with Ganon is stylish enough. Swag is great and all but it doesn't matter if you go 2 and out.

Top Bottom