• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

the stage builder is nice but we know it needs changes, post your ideas here

AgGun

Smash Cadet
have you ever been using the stage builder and have an idea because of the one way only rotation or the non attachable objects or the fact that you cant put in your own backgrounds, if so this is the thread for you, post what you think needs to be changed here.

things that need changing:
you should be able to rotate things in all directions

you should be able to attach objects such as attaching spikes to a moving platform

scenery should be able to go to the background and become (example) 40% transparent and be able to overlap in background form and take up no space, also you should be able to stack things like pillars

there should be telle-pads avalible to use to warp from one point to another

you should be able to adjust the settings on some timed objects (i.e. feriswheel platform speed, falling blocks time till it falls) but to prevent crazy things it should have a minumum and a maximum

you should be able to free trans some objects

you should be able to set spawn points

these should happen but if there used to annoy other players (ex. spawning near off screen or in spikes) then we wont play on that stage, any cheap things such as that should be ripped on aswell. please post your ideas and sugestions

mrwynd

Smash Rookie
I agree 100% with the improvements.

I am happy that there's an editor at all, but yes it could definitely be more fleshed out - especially since you cant play them in online brawls - you should be able to make maps with more stuff.

It seems they went with a certain size for all custom maps. Why? People can buy SD cards. It's the same stupid thing that you cant record more than 3 minute long matches.

ShadowLink84

Smash Hero
We need more stuff XD.
We all need more grabbable ledges and we need the ability to connect several fo the objects.
I wanted to make something along the LOZ theme but the lack of connectable items made it impossible.

Rotation of the objects as you mentioned would be good since i 've always wanted to make a custom stage filled with spikes. A hazard stage where you can fight and actual make use of teh environment.

AgGun

Smash Cadet
thats another thing, if i had been able to conect at the ends i would have been able to make my hyrule ruins stage, c'mon the more sugesstions the better!

mcnichoj

Smash Apprentice
The ability to create stages on the comp, but that has nothing to do with Nintendo.

Senor Crouch

Smash Journeyman
Oh, okay. I have some thing that I would like to add. Being the big Stage Builder fan that I am, I wish there was:

1) more backgrounds

2) water blocks

3) a change to the "Structures" so that they don't take up so much space. There is really no reason that the structures take up that much space. I hate how I can't place two structures next to each other. I would love to create a tunnel useing those glass tunnel/room structure (only found in the indoor/technology looking background), but I can't place them next to each other.

4) a change to the stairs and ramps in the "Features" section. I hate how it not only takes up one space for the stair/ramp itself, but the space above it as well. *facepalm* I don't get why they did that. I can't properly create the Triforce b/c of that.

5) full 360 degree rotation. Not just mirror the object back and forth, but allow you to rotate the object by 90 degrees, 180 degrees, 270 degrees, and 360 degrees.

6) More objects altogether.

Other than that, I am really happy with the Stage Builder.

MFZ95

Smash Journeyman
1.Water surfaces
2.More backrounds that trace Nintendo game series history(Mario,Zelda,DK)
3.No Backrounds that look like flat JPEG images.
4.Adding more than one song on it.
5.Import-able backrounds from JPEG images.
6.Music played by the music played on the SD Card(the stage is in the card so the music plays for that stage too)
7.Parts that are Nintendo themed
8.No Part limit
9.Pit-less stages that have no opening on the sides(Mushroom Kingdom(Melee),Green Hill Zone,Shadow Moses Island)
10.rotation
11.Sticker-enabled, stick stickers on the backround or on the platforms

neoREgen

Smash Journeyman
IDEA 1: Walk Off Stage ability
In order to allow Walk Off Stages, or partial walk off stages (such as the returning Melee Yoshi level), the new stage builder should have the outermost squares highlighted red. Any object placed in those squares will be repeated ad infinitum (until the natural point in which a character would die from being off stage).

This will solve multiple problems:
1) it will provide the ability to create castles that don't just float in the air, but actually continue all the way down off the screen.
2) it will allow for better recreations of stages from games that people have wanted to make.
3) it will allow people to create stages that actually have ceilings. Players would not spawn on top of a ceiling placed in a red space because they would automatically die.

There are, of course, some absurdities that would have to be fleshed out a bit, but nothing I wouldn't be able to handle (and therefore I assume Nintendo could as well).

---------------------------
IDEA 2: 3 types of liquid
Using a slightly dynamic container system, you could allow the use of water in a stage.
Placing one block of water would create a piece in which the sides and bottom are solid and water is held inside, only to be entered from the top. This piece is not rotatable. Placing a second water block next to the first would extend the container so that, again, it remains only on the sides and bottom. I think you can understand how this works by now. If you place a water piece underneath another water piece, the water becomes deeper. If you place a water piece in a red space (described above in Walk Off Stages), the water simply goes until the point in which you could die from being off stage.

Along with this system, I propose three types of liquids that use the exact same dynamic: water, lava, and acid.
Water works just as it does in Brawl. Lava has the quality of making you bounce off of it, just like in Metroid levels and Mario 64. Acid allows you to fall into it and swim, but depletes your health at a fairly rapid pace. Acid would be a greenish icky color. You cannot mix liquid types in the same body of water, so if you place lava next to water, it would have it's own container.

I do not intend to allow the capability to make rising lava.

--------------------------
IDEA 3: Smaller Pieces
The pieces to construct stages in Brawl are the size of a character, and for good reason. Nintendo didn't want people to make stages that were impossible to navigate or move in.
I propose that the default size for pieces be kept the same, but a smaller, slightly different colored grid be added. I want to be able to make blocks either 1/2 or (but not both) 1/3 the size of a character.
This allows a LOT more options in stage making, such as being able to recreate Mario bros. bricks or smaller platforms in general. This completely opens up the customizable options.

-------------------
IDEAS for pieces that should be added:
-Breakable bricks, Item-producing and non (a la Mario)
-Spinning Barrel Cannons, moving (no need to differentiate between left-right and up-down because the new 90 degree piece rotation system will make them the same piece) and non-moving (from Donkey Kong)
-Clouds, moving and non (making them larger simply makes them longer like Ice is in Brawl)
-Warp Pipes (if you place only one in the stage, you may not enter it. If you place 2, entering will let you exit through the other. If you place more than 2, you will exit through a random warp pipe.)
-Ice that is slanted... just like the triangular-shaped pieces, but ice

------------------
ALSO: a New Mode!: Target Practice Stage Editor
Exactly the same as the stage editor, except with the ability to add in targets. As many as you want.

Samuelson

Smash Lord
you should be able to tilt a block to any angle you want instead of just the 3

there should be more things for ice pieces

there should be fire pieces

you should be able to toggle whether or not an edge can be grabbed onto or jumped through

item spawn points

player spawn points

no space limit

you should be able to place more hazards, like bumbers or lava or water

there should be fans you can place in a direction that blow players around

you should be able to control the strength of a hazard and the speed of moving platforms

you should be able to choose more than one song per custom stage

there should be more than 3 sizes for everything

breakable blocks

platforms that disappear and dont just fall down

there should be a barrel or cannon that launches you like from the first DK stage

conveyor belts should be able to be angled

have different environments for each piece (it's kind of wierd seeing giant mushrooms grown on concrete)

they should have circular pieces you can place down

there are many pieces that take up more space than they should, springs take up 2 blocks when they should really only take up one

there should be teleporters

Quelt1

Smash Rookie
There should be a lot of different (premade) backgrounds and have the ability to do layers (make your own background)

Slike

Smash Cadet
You should be able to do everything the game developers did, like water, lava, BREAKABLE PLATFORMS, moving stages, but no gimics. (As in, no microgames for your wario ware, no cannons for your great sea, no ultimate chimera... you get the point.

Use existing stages for templates. THAT'S how you put in a gimic. You can't make melee stages, and for wario ware you can't make your own microgame. But you can put in ultimate chimeras as you please, etc. and it would start out as the template of that stage, and require you to change it. (This could make crazy ideas, like OH, CRUD, A BOXED STAGE WITH THREE ULTIMATE CHIMERA-*eaten*

SFJake

Smash Apprentice
So many ideas that are pretty simple for most and that would add oh so much to this game.

I so wish they made it better.

N.A.G.A.C.E

Smash Champion
A twister for my smash 64 zelda stage, the ability for pokemon to come out of the wall from my saffron city, bullet bills for my peach's castle, the ability to only go through a part of a stage to recover but so you dont fall through when you press down for my dk stages/dk barrels for my dk stages, clouds for my yoshi stage

Dark aura Marth

Smash Rookie
These are my ideas for the stage builder.

1)Environment changes like in Pirate Ship and the Olamr stage.
For example You can choose from rain flood(what happens on brinstar) rain storm or even natural disaster. Earth quakes could make a more multi stage like castle siege giving you 2 different stages in one.Also Monsters coming on on part of the stage with a selection of The dragon in pork city,monsters from pikmin.

2)More backgrounds for example 1 from each game theme or simple ones like a
prairie ect.

3)A shape of any size that will let you make stages like Luigi's but with more generic themes (Lab,Hi Tech,Wood House,Big rooms.)wich can cover the whole place to where your in a room in sizes tiny cover half of small size stages to big room covering the whole huge stage area.(you cannot leave the room)When you put these on you can add items based on themes for a room.You can also choose to go thru them or be trapped.(maybe you can make a triforce cage :bee:)

4)Traps like a water tile that disappears when you go on it or a fire trap that when you go on it you burn ect.

So thats all my ideas so far

Sarijy

Smash Apprentice
Also reference http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=159739
A similar thread with similar posts but slightly differing ideas.
Posted a link to this thread in that thread.
The major points and everything else I/others could think of were generally discussed.
I disagree with the idea of spawning Ultimate Chimeras, being as they are very dangerous, they just end players and they aren't to fun to play with.
The fish is very area specific, but it would be nice to add it to a water based stage.
The idea of containers as opposed to just bottomed stages is interesting. Probably a feature that allows you to extend the containers to the end of the map would help. Giving players the ability to still make falling points in the bottom of the map.

TuojaltaSurma

Smash Rookie
What would be cool is if there was a whacker like in green hill zone, except it was always going. Imagine if we filled the whole stage with them, it would be like pinball only with brawlers. But what I'm somewhat afraid of if we get all these new things with online custom stages too (which probably won't happen, nintendo will probably say, "At least we gave you a custom stage builder, deal with it.") that noobs will choose their stages that only they can win.

Another idea would be to be able to change the pull of gravity so you can play in a new orientation and make it much harder :psycho:

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
IDEA 1: Walk Off Stage ability
In order to allow Walk Off Stages, or partial walk off stages (such as the returning Melee Yoshi level), the new stage builder should have the outermost squares highlighted red. Any object placed in those squares will be repeated ad infinitum (until the natural point in which a character would die from being off stage).

This will solve multiple problems:
1) it will provide the ability to create castles that don't just float in the air, but actually continue all the way down off the screen.
2) it will allow for better recreations of stages from games that people have wanted to make.
3) it will allow people to create stages that actually have ceilings. Players would not spawn on top of a ceiling placed in a red space because they would automatically die.

There are, of course, some absurdities that would have to be fleshed out a bit, but nothing I wouldn't be able to handle (and therefore I assume Nintendo could as well).

---------------------------
IDEA 2: 3 types of liquid
Using a slightly dynamic container system, you could allow the use of water in a stage.
Placing one block of water would create a piece in which the sides and bottom are solid and water is held inside, only to be entered from the top. This piece is not rotatable. Placing a second water block next to the first would extend the container so that, again, it remains only on the sides and bottom. I think you can understand how this works by now. If you place a water piece underneath another water piece, the water becomes deeper. If you place a water piece in a red space (described above in Walk Off Stages), the water simply goes until the point in which you could die from being off stage.

Along with this system, I propose three types of liquids that use the exact same dynamic: water, lava, and acid.
Water works just as it does in Brawl. Lava has the quality of making you bounce off of it, just like in Metroid levels and Mario 64. Acid allows you to fall into it and swim, but depletes your health at a fairly rapid pace. Acid would be a greenish icky color. You cannot mix liquid types in the same body of water, so if you place lava next to water, it would have it's own container.

I do not intend to allow the capability to make rising lava.

--------------------------
IDEA 3: Smaller Pieces
The pieces to construct stages in Brawl are the size of a character, and for good reason. Nintendo didn't want people to make stages that were impossible to navigate or move in.
I propose that the default size for pieces be kept the same, but a smaller, slightly different colored grid be added. I want to be able to make blocks either 1/2 or (but not both) 1/3 the size of a character.
This allows a LOT more options in stage making, such as being able to recreate Mario bros. bricks or smaller platforms in general. This completely opens up the customizable options.

-------------------
IDEAS for pieces that should be added:
-Breakable bricks, Item-producing and non (a la Mario)
-Spinning Barrel Cannons, moving (no need to differentiate between left-right and up-down because the new 90 degree piece rotation system will make them the same piece) and non-moving (from Donkey Kong)
-Clouds, moving and non (making them larger simply makes them longer like Ice is in Brawl)
-Warp Pipes (if you place only one in the stage, you may not enter it. If you place 2, entering will let you exit through the other. If you place more than 2, you will exit through a random warp pipe.)
-Ice that is slanted... just like the triangular-shaped pieces, but ice

------------------
ALSO: a New Mode!: Target Practice Stage Editor
Exactly the same as the stage editor, except with the ability to add in targets. As many as you want.
OK, I'm going to ask one question right now; why are you not the one who created Stage Builder?

Your ideas are not only great, creative, and very plausible, but they're fleshed out. Almost everyone has asked for water blocks, lava blocks, some even acid as well, but no one has suggested a good system for this to work out.

Reading your post makes me sad, because these ideas are so great, and they make me want to put them into action so badly, and I know it's not going to happen. Unless we somehow get a much better Stage Builder in the next game in the series (if we get another one) then we're not getting this. I don't understand why Mario Kart gets all the attention, the good WiFi, DLC, and Brawl gets the shaft. Why the heck is Mario Kart more deserving of this stuff?

PCHU

Smash Lord
It isn't, but they think that Brawl is awesome enough already, when it looks like they spent a while on NOTHING!
And yet I still like it.

Top Bottom