• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Lower Norfair

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
I dug up a Ridley moveset I created during Smash 4 speculation.

RIDLEY MOVESET

Ridley weighs about as much as King DeDeDe. He is slightly below average on the ground in speed, but has quick dodges. His air speed and air dodge are among the best. This coupled with his specialized Up B make him a force. He also has ways to rack up damage from all areas on the battlefield. But Ridley, without his Flight mode, only has one jump. He really needs to use his wings to take advantage of the air.

Mechanics: Crawl, Glide
Built in Disadvantage: One jump without using Flight Mode
A: Slash with a claw
A,A: Slash with a claw, then the other claw
A,A,A: Slash with a claw, then the other claw, then raises both claws above his head and smashes both into the floor. Rakes them backwards.

Toward A: Lashes out with his pointed tail. Good range, but one must be precise to make the best use of it.
Down A: While crouched, Ridley swipes one extended arm forward with outstretched claws. If sweet-spotted, the attack becomes a grab where upon Ridley will clutch the leg (or hover body in the case of R.O.B) and flip them high into the air.
Up A: Ridley curves his neck backwards while emitting fire in a smoldering arch similar to Samus's Up Smash.

Down Smash: Ridley rotates his body while emitting a stream of plasma fire at the ground. It leaves a circle of fire for a couple seconds that could damage others, but not Ridley (due to his scales we will say).
Up Smash: Fires a plasma sphere into the sky (the size and ascension of the attack depends on the charged power)
Forward Smash: Ridley opens his jaws. The orange buildup of fire in his throat can be seen. He lunges forward with a bite which causes an explosion upon impact.

Dash A: Ridley flaps his wings for a burst of speed and swings both his claws out before delivering a bite.

Aerials

Neutral Aerial: Snaps his jaws in front of him, then behind, then in front again in rapid succession. Made possible by this long neck.
Forward Aerial: Curves his neck back in an S shape, then lunges forward with a bite. Can be charged.
Back Aerial: A whip like attack with his tail. Good range with sweet-spot on tip.
Up Aerial: Slashes both claws upwards. When the claws from either hand clash at the apex, a fountain of sparks shoots upwards.
Down Aerial: Maneuvers his tail like a whip behind him before lashing it straight down, the spine stiffening. Great in the air, but the tail can be lodged in the floor if it connects with the ground.

Specials

B Plasma Shot: Fires a spread burst of three fire balls. No knockback or stun. However, they do slight splash damage when they collide with part of the stage resulting in a little stun and knockback. Angled down if Ridley is in the air and angled in straight cone pattern if on the ground.

B Plasma Beam (charged): Ridley can charge the shot into a beam. However, it cannot be stored. The beam shoots straight if on the ground and diagonal in the air. Does very good damage, but only has knockback and stun around Ridley's mouth (which would knock the victim into the rest of the attack).

Down B WingSpan: Ridley opens his wings. These are the effects.
•If on the ground, anyone that rolls past Ridley with his wings spread, hits the wing, has their momentum canceled and suffers stun.
•In the air, Ridley can use this move to cancel his momentum. Also, sends air dodgers into a helpless state.
•In a glide, Ridley can use this move to cancel his glide and create a shockwave that travels and does knockback depending on the duration of the glide.

Up B Fly Mode: Launches Ridley into the air a good vertical distance with super armor. He then gains three jumps. Cannot be used again until he hits the ground.

Toward B Dive Bomb (On the Ground): Ridley leaps high into the air and then dive bombs in a diagonal fashion either left or right until he smashes into the floor. Good knockback, but has downtime as Ridley as to recuperate from launching himself into the ground.

Toward B Dive Bomb (In the Air): Ridley automatically enters a dive bomb either left or right until he hits the floor.

Throws

Pummel: Ridley bites his victim.
Toward and Back Throw: Ridley jumps up, impales his victim with his tail, and drags them in the direction pressed. This direction can be changed midway in the animation. The opponent pops up and away afterwards. Good damage-racker.
Up Throw: Ridley flies up and off the screen with opponent. He then blocks the camera briefly as he flies toward the stage (in the direction the players are looking at the TV) and slams the victim into the spot he was grabbed.
Down Throw: Leaps on top of the opponent causing them to smash to the ground. Then springs upwards into the air. Does not use a jump.

Last edited:

Yoshi-Thomas

Smash Champion
I don't think Ridley will be in the SSB4 deluxe edition (if there is one), nor in the next Smash Bros 5 if Sakurai still leads it and doesn't change his mind. But he is still one of the last characters that I want with Rayman so...
I support you my dude. Lose some weight and show them that you fit in !

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Some things simply aren't meant to be depending on how them factors turn out. Same goes for other characters who may never be included officially, but that's no reason to stop wanting Ridley and others, even if recency and some things aren't currently on their side.

Wiinner159

Smash Hero
NNID
Make a guess...
3DS FC
2251-6491-9042
On a sidenote, I really hope Smash 4 Deluxe for the Switch doesn't happen, I wanna see actual NEW games on it since I'm not spending around $300+ for 2 new games and a bunch of games I already own. Give me something new and big Nintendo, I want to be able to justify the Switch.

UserKev

Smash Champion
On a sidenote, I really hope Smash 4 Deluxe for the Switch doesn't happen, I wanna see actual NEW games on it since I'm not spending around $300+ for 2 new games and a bunch of games I already own. Give me something new and big Nintendo, I want to be able to justify the Switch.
I don't either. I can see another Smash being announced as the finale of the Nintendo Switch lifespan. I don't want a Smash 4 Deluxe to ruin this.

FunAtParties

PM me ur character ideas girl
NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
I don't either. I can see another Smash being announced as the finale of the Nintendo Switch lifespan. I don't want a Smash 4 Deluxe to ruin this.
I think having a Smash as a swan song for the Switch would be an extremely poor business decision.

Zem-raj

Smash Hero
We could still get a new game in the first year or two of the Nintendo Switch's lifespan. People seem to forget that Super Smash Bros. Melee was released in Japan a month after the Gamecube was released (Gamecube - September 2001, Super Smash Bros. Melee - November 2001) and two years after Super Smash Bros. 64 (1999) (Only with 13 months of development time). Super Smash Bros. for WiiU was released 2 years into the WiiU's short lifespan (WiiU - November 2012, Super Smash Bros. for Smash WiiU November 2014), and development for that game started just after Kid Icarus Uprising, in March/April 2012. So the "it's too early for a new game" is just some silly excuse.

Ridley's chances of being included in the roster for a port... isn't good. He has better chances in a new game, and it depends on who is directing it as well. It's not like Nintendo don't know that we want him on the roster, as we've seen with their most recent action. They know.

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
We could still get a new game in the first year or two of the Nintendo Switch's lifespan. People seem to forget that Super Smash Bros. Melee was released in Japan a month after the Gamecube was released (Gamecube - September 2001, Super Smash Bros. Melee - November 2001) and two years after Super Smash Bros. 64 (1999) (Only with 13 months of development time). Super Smash Bros. for WiiU was released 2 years into the WiiU's short lifespan (WiiU - November 2012, Super Smash Bros. for Smash WiiU November 2014), and development for that game started just after Kid Icarus Uprising, in March/April 2012. So the "it's too early for a new game" is just some silly excuse.

Ridley's chances of being included in the roster for a port... isn't good. He has better chances in a new game, and it depends on who is directing it as well. It's not like Nintendo don't know that we want him on the roster, as we've seen with their most recent action. They know.
The difference is there's a lot more expectations for the game now then there was then. Characters and content take a lot of time, and at this point we're at 60+ characters, and people weren't happy with how devoid of a single player there was last game. So unless they increase the budget, or continue to minimize other features of this game, a brand new Smash isnt happening this early unless already in development.

Zem-raj

Smash Hero
The difference is there's a lot more expectations for the game now then there was then. Characters and content take a lot of time, and at this point we're at 60+ characters, and people weren't happy with how devoid of a single player there was last game. So unless they increase the budget, or continue to minimize other features of this game, a brand new Smash isnt happening this early unless already in development.
There was a job listing posted in 2014 for "Smash 6", if that means anything. If I remember correctly, it mentioned 120 people working on the game, plus an additional 80 to join, and listed new positions. Possibly 200 people working on a port...? They could ease development slightly by re-using Smash WiiU's engine and assets rather than building a new one. Kinda like what Splatoon 2 is doing.

UserKev

Smash Champion

I already thought of this. That's true but that doesn't mean Smash releases will continue in that format. Heck, that format ended by Brawl.

Its way too early for a new Smash, man.

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
There was a job listing posted in 2014 for "Smash 6", if that means anything. If I remember correctly, it mentioned 120 people working on the game, plus an additional 80 to join, and listed new positions. Possibly 200 people working on a port...? They could ease development slightly by re-using Smash WiiU's engine and assets rather than building a new one. Kinda like what Splatoon 2 is doing.
I would like a Splatoon 2 situation. With my bias showing, I really hope it's more of a Project M this time around, gameplay wise.

NNID
Ridleylash
3DS FC
1736-1657-3905
I already thought of this. That's true but that doesn't mean Smash releases will continue in that format. Heck, that format ended by Brawl.

Its way too early for a new Smash, man.
Super Smash Bros. was released in 1999.
Super Smash Bros. Melee was released in 2001.

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U was released in 2014.
Hypothetically, a new game should be out either as another big holiday 2017 (if it's a straight port with bonus content, like Mario Kart 8 Deluxe) release or a 2018 one (if they're going the Splatoon 2 route).

It's not "too early" for another Smash game, and I'm thinking they'll go the Splatoon 2 method and build the next Smash off of the Smash Bros. for Wii U engine.

Last edited:
NNID
Ridleylash
3DS FC
1736-1657-3905
Then why did you leave the extra space? It just kinda looks weird that you bothered to put in the space for Brawl and yet didn't mention it XD
Mostly so it'd be more clear, honestly. I wanted to avoid any potential mixing if I could.

Better to be a bit overly-precise then not clear enough. :p

Last edited:

UserKev

Smash Champion
I really don't understand some of these Smash speculators. Its not like that anymore. Right now, a new Smash isn't a good idea. I'd be forced as hell. Development right now is good though.

Nintendo is basically low on significant characters. The company will need time to build more or cut that, this character needs to be in more than one game bs and make exceptions. Or the roster will end up relying on Pokémon, Fire Emblem and third parties.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Yeah, I think just more flavors of the month like from those series and maybe some content for Arms and obviously Splatoon is mainly all we'll get should a new Smash happen sooner than later in the Switch lifecycle. Just how it feels like at the moment anyway but not sure how interested I'll be compared to other games and things if that's the case.

NNID
Ridleylash
3DS FC
1736-1657-3905
That, and Smash has almost always been released later into the life of a system rather then right out the gates; the only exception to that rule was Melee.

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Once again we come to the same question, post (enhanced or no) or new game?

Port would mean we get it sooner but New Game would allow for Pyrosphere to be dropped as, even besides the whole Ridley thing, I don't remember anyone likng it. Heck, even DOA on the 3DS did a better job with that stage.

Zem-raj

Smash Hero

Port would mean we get it sooner but New Game would allow for Pyrosphere to be dropped as, even besides the whole Ridley thing, I don't remember anyone likng it. Heck, even DOA on the 3DS did a better job with that stage.
New game, Splatoon 2 style?

New game re-using the engine and assets of the predecessor:

Splatoon 2, a sequel that seems to use the same engine as Splatoon.
In this case, Smash 6 would use the same engine as Smash WiiU.

Makes more sense than a new game with a new engine at this point in time.

Plus a new game gives better chances for Ridley than a hypothetical port does.

Last edited:

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993

I guess I'm in the unpopular opinion of wanting a new game from ground up. If it was started when the job listings were posted, it should be near done, so who really knows how far it is away as we speak?

Also I like Pyrosphere sans Ridley. Little big, weird ledges, but it's not too bad, and u wouldn't mind seeing it return with a stage hazard switch.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I guess I'm in the unpopular opinion of wanting a new game from ground up. If it was started when the job listings were posted, it should be near done, so who really knows how far it is away as we speak?
I think it's a matter of "do you want last night's left over pizza now or to call a new one this weekend?"

And evidently, we're addicts who need our fix.

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
I think it's a matter of "do you want last night's left over pizza now or to call a new one this weekend?"

And evidently, we're addicts who need our fix.
See I guess that's where I differ. I'm wasteful and lazy, like hell I'm going to make that old pizza, I'm ordering a new one every time. Then all I gotta do is open the door, in contrast to pulling it out of the fridge, AND reheat it. It doesn't even taste as good the second time.

New game. We'd get more content, and Ridley wouldn't necessarily have the Pyrosphere issue anymore.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Come to think of it, Pyrosphere should be complimented for the other creatures it had, but even then, it could've had more from the sector that were in the game. Suppose there were already enough hazards on the stage as it was though, with or without Ridley.

Still would've preferred Biosphere or Cryosphere as a stage if we had to have more Other M stuff. Cryosphere would've even made up for the lack of Phendrana Drifts stage for me, with how much I despise the Metroid lava stage trope by this point. =p

Last edited:

WaddleKing

Smash Ace
NNID
Nassim250

Also I like Pyrosphere sans Ridley. Little big, weird ledges, but it's not too bad, and u wouldn't mind seeing it return with a stage hazard switch.
I guess I wouldn't mind it if it weren't for the freaking slopes around the ledges, seriously, I cannot tell you how many times that has screwed me over while playing on the omega version. I guess if we remove some of those Metroid enemies as well it could potentially work? The stage is quite wide so that's why I'm questioning it.

domriver

Smash Lord
All this talk about a new smash brothers. I think Nintendo will do a Deluxe on Smash. Featuring DLC for the coming years. Who knows 2 - 3 characters per yer? Till they think its enough. I see a new Smash brothers for the NEXT generation console. Not so much this one. I dont know. Now about Ridley. I wanted him since forever my hope remains the same. lol They can make it work just takes time. jeje :)

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Archie Comics' take on what Samus, Ridley, and such would've looked like if they if they had done Metroid comics...

:love:

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Oh, that's the one who made the digital golden Kraid, Phantoon, and Draygon statues (based on the Super Metroid in-game ones) whom we were waiting for the longest time to finish with Ridley... Better late than never!

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
The circle is now complete...

I suppose this was Franco Ferrari's earlier beta version before he did complete versions of each of them.

RomanceDawn

Smash Lord
NNID
Romancedawn
3DS FC
0044-2811-9045
Those statues are beautiful!

Hey anyone know whats the latest and greatest Ridley mod thats available to see? I mean just a youtube video or something that is the best proof of concept.

2004Zilla

Smash Master
NNID
2004Zilla
Hey guys! Longtime Ridley supporter here. Haven't been doing much in terms of Smash Bros or anything Nintendo related really, but I did do a quick doodle of the space pirate himself to show that I still love Metroid and Ridley. It's not really based off of any specific design from the games, I mainly took inspiration from the Xenomorphs from Alien Resurrection to create a unique design. Also the tail looks absolutely horrible so I cropped it out as much as I could.

0_o

Well seems I may have jumped the shark about Alien Covenant being great. Haven't seen it yet and am still considering it, but it appears the interesting lore that Prometheus had (one of the redeeming things I liked about it) was diminished in Covenant for the sake of more Xenomorph fanservice and generic horror tropes. Obviously, people aren't too happy with Ridley Scott about it and some have even gone as far as to call him the George Lucas of the series now which took a blow to Ridley's namesake :(, but I think he was kinda coerced by studios and such after the mixed reception to Prometheus to go in that direction. Still, Alien Covenant may be an example of how going back to nostalgia instead of moving forward with story doesn't always pay off well...

Metroid, the series Alien inspires, ironically, I think would still have an opposite effect in going back to its roots, with greater focus on gameplay and creature fanservice than story. We've seen what happens or what can go wrong when Metroid tries to be an epic sci-fi blockbuster film, but just one of those things.

Well, story itself isn't really the problem, as we know that some story for Metroid can work well depending on how it's told, but a movie blockbuster kind of way to do it like Other M seems it wasn't the right or best way to go about it, sadly.
Alien Covenant is literally the Other M of the Alien franchise. Both have a single scene that was essentially a big middle finger to continuity (Samus seeing Clone Ridley for Other M and the origin of the Xenomorph for Covenant) and both pretty much put their franchises on hold indefinitely. It's sad to see it happen to two flagship franchises of the sci-fi genre, but I'm hoping Nintendo pulls out and gives us something Metroid related for E3.

Last edited:

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Hey guys! Longtime Ridley supporter here. Haven't been doing much in terms of Smash Bros or anything Nintendo related really, but I did do a quick doodle of the space pirate himself to show that I still love Metroid and Ridley. It's not really based off of any specific design from the games, I mainly took inspiration from the Xenomorphs from Alien Resurrection to create a unique design. Also the tail looks absolutely horrible so I cropped it out as much as I could.

Alien Covenant is literally the Other M of the Alien franchise. Both have a single scene that was essentially a big middle finger to continuity (Samus seeing Clone Ridley for Other M and the origin of the Xenomorph for Covenant) and both pretty much put their franchises on hold indefinitely. It's sad to see it happen to two flagship franchises of the sci-fi genre, but I'm hoping Nintendo pulls out and gives us something Metroid related for E3.
Yeah :(... The lore took a major hit with both Covenant and Other M, but both series could still have something good come of them, like how the game series portion of Alien made a great comeback with Isolation after Colonial Marines happened. If bouncing back like that still never happens with Metroid, then that's on Nintendo and their lack of vision for the series far as I'm concerned... There's only so much we can do to support it as fans.

Not for nothing though, but Alien 3 was when the movie series actually started going downhill, but we got Super Metroid, one of the best games of all time that took inspiration from its premise, so even when the chips are down, anything's possible for a franchise, like something good coming out of something bad, etc.

And nice drawing. The Alien Resurrection design definitely shows. :) Also I tagged you sometime earlier in a post regarding Jurassic World 2 content but I guess ya never saw it...

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
I feel like the best way to deal with Other M's lore, is to retcon it entirely.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Retcon or not, Metroid will recover just as well with a new game that ignores the events of Other M entirely... And even if we get another Prime with like Sylux or something, I'll act as though Federation Force never happened the same way and happily move forward.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
That Prime 4 logo yo. Glad I got up early after all. Whether it's Retro doing it or not, please no more of the Metroid vs DK schism... Retro did a fantastic job reviving both series. I don't care whose doing MP4, just glad we got it now, even though I guess the hopes for another 2D was squashed.

Top Bottom