• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Lower Norfair

Xhampi

Smash Lord
Yeah, most of these like the physical stuff and anything from Other M I already knew, I was more focused on Special Moves.

It'd be neat for him to have Ice Breath, but I doubt they'd pull from Nintendoland. I had forgotten about the summoning though, but I honestly don't think it'd fit him very well for a move in Smash.
Most people forget about it since Little Birdie himself does not appear in the boss fight itself.

But yeah, Ridley don't really have many outstanding attacks in his arsenal, those who do are usually specific to one form or machine.
Regular Ridley battles are the Metroid equivalent of the fights against Bowser where you have to press the switch to make the bridge fall, it's the iconic boss formula that you've beaten several times between the hero and it's archnemesis, no other new gimmicks are or should be needed.
The problem here is indeed that it doesn't give much attack diversity for Ridley to use, but I'm not too worried personally, Sakurai can always give him new moves.It also of course doesn't mean that we can't come up with something ourselves in the meantimes but that's one of the reasons why Ridley fans talk less about "what moveset" and more about "what playstyle" ?

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Pretty much. Even without being playable he's been given a number of new moves in Smash, one of the more popular ones being the wall scrape which the Other M fight later adopted. Being playable he could little to no doubt receive more new moves/creative liberties, putting a lasting dent in the ol' "He's just a flying Bowser or another Charizard!" argument.

What playstyle he'd have is more up in the air (no pun intended) which often is more interesting to think up of or discuss.

Blackwolf666

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5000-4278-5177
I've wanted him in the smash bros games ever since I first saw Ridley in a commercial for melee.

Last edited:

Wolfie557

Witch-King of the North
3DS FC
3153-4071-1007
Switch FC
SW 3128 8188 4021
Whats this 'black ridley' I never heard of XD.

Well anyways, he should have alts/costumes of at least most of his looks.

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
All I want is for Ridley to be able to grab in the air. I just think that would be so much fun. As long as he could not down throw in the air. That would be dumb.

D

Deleted member

All I want is for Ridley to be able to grab in the air. I just think that would be so much fun. As long as he could not down throw in the air. That would be dumb.
Ridlicide, the most broken -cide ever. :p

UserKev

Smash Champion
Good ol' Ridley.

Amazing how people don't see him making in Smash Switch. Things aren't that hopeless. Look at the Smashified Ridley model. The odds of Ridley's inclusion may be above our heads but, this topic is like the only interesting character support thread. I can see Sakurai just hitting everyone with massive pressure just for the heck of it.

Ridley is pretty much in Smash Switch, the next installment.

Kirbeh

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
Good ol' Ridley.

Amazing how people don't see him making in Smash Switch. Things aren't that hopeless. Look at the Smashified Ridley model. The odds of Ridley's inclusion may be above our heads but, this topic is like the only interesting character support thread. I can see Sakurai just hitting everyone with massive pressure just for the heck of it.

Ridley is pretty much in Smash Switch, the next installment.
That's a bold prediction, though here's to hoping it turns out true.

I'll continue to support him, but I'm not going to act like he's a guarantee, otherwise he would've been in a game by now. We do know Sakurai has attempted to include him before, but dropped him for one reason or another, with the main issue being he couldn't think of a way of working him into a fighter while still keeping what makes him "feel like Ridley." Insert obligatory "He's too big" comment. Hopefully he figures something out eventually, so we can finally get the big purple space dragon in Smash as a playable character.

D

Deleted member

The answer is simple.

Meta Ridley.
I'm not joking.

Meta Ridley was the first time we've seen Ridley do ground combat. And with the weaponry in his disposal along with his savagery on the ground, not even scaling down the wings (which were already scaled down considerably between Metroid Prime and Brawl), limiting his flight (using the cybernetic wings as an excuse if necessary; make them inactive whenever he can't jump anymore) or scaling him down to be bigger than the rest of the cast while being smaller than his boss fight in Brawl wouldn't be enough to make him "not Meta Ridley".

We've had both Ridley and Meta Ridley in Brawl coexisting, but only the former returned in Smash 4 with the Other M look.
So by all means, Meta Ridley has yet to be disqualified.

Kirbeh

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
The answer is simple.

Meta Ridley.
I'm not joking.

Meta Ridley was the first time we've seen Ridley do ground combat. And with the weaponry in his disposal along with his savagery on the ground, not even scaling down the wings (which were already scaled down considerably between Metroid Prime and Brawl), limiting his flight (using the cybernetic wings as an excuse if necessary; make them inactive whenever he can't jump anymore) or scaling him down to be bigger than the rest of the cast while being smaller than his boss fight in Brawl wouldn't be enough to make him "not Meta Ridley".

We've had both Ridley and Meta Ridley in Brawl coexisting, but only the former returned in Smash 4 with the Other M look.
So by all means, Meta Ridley has yet to be disqualified.
I think that's kind of reaching to be honest. Sure Meta Ridley isn't anywhere in Smash For (well outside of a trophy of course), but I highly doubt they'd include him over normal Ridley and the same issues still apply to Meta.That said no form of Ridley has been disqualified for an actual new Smash so let's hope that the fourth time is the charm.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I think that's kind of reaching to be honest. Sure Meta Ridley isn't anywhere in Smash For (well outside of a trophy of course), but I highly doubt they'd include him over normal Ridley and the same issues still apply to Meta.That said no form of Ridley has been disqualified for an actual new Smash so let's hope that the fourth time is the charm.
Not even a trophy.

Anyways, my point was Meta Ridley is still Meta Ridley without being able to fly. Especially since the latter half of the fight with him in Prime is him permanently grounded. And, him being smaller isn't as big of a deal because his size is inconsistent, even in the same game.
He shrank between the first encounter in Prime 3 and when you fight him later as Omega Ridley.
And in the beta from before Omega Ridley was made, he was even smaller. :V

While staying on the ground. :p

Kirbeh

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
Not even a trophy.

Anyways, my point was Meta Ridley is still Meta Ridley without being able to fly. Especially since the latter half of the fight with him in Prime is him permanently grounded. And, him being smaller isn't as big of a deal because his size is inconsistent, even in the same game.
He shrank between the first encounter in Prime 3 and when you fight him later as Omega Ridley.
And in the beta from before Omega Ridley was made, he was even smaller. :V

While staying on the ground. :p
Not even a trophy? :c

That aside, I think that's a pretty fair point, but I think Sakurai is the one who needs to see/realize that. I'd wager he has, and just really wants him to fly. It might be all or nothing in his eyes.

Otherwise, Other M Ridley should have been fine too given that he remains grounded for a lot of his boss fight as well. He even incorporated it into his appearance as a stage boss. Meta or not, he'd probably still want him to fly anyway.

I think it's just a case of Sakurai being stubborn because he really wants Ridley to be able to fly since it's something that, to be fair, is pretty important to the character. Adjusting his proportions and giving him a flight meter for a flight mode Up B or something along those lines are possible solutions that I'm sure all us have either suggested or seen already multiple times, but I guess he sees things differently.

D

Deleted member

Other M Ridley's model was a two-edged sword, really.

It showed a potential fighting style, yet required a lot more drastic (and noticeable) changes in design to work feasibly in comparison to earlier designs.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Unfortunately true. ^ Had thought the Other M model could've gone a long way with the right tweeks and stuff (it kinda did with the eventual PM Ridley but eh... :/), tho I guess it wasn't meant to be. Meta Ridley, ironically would be actually easier to rescale and stuff which Brawl kinda already did as pointed out. In hindsight he seemed less workable going just off of the Prime trilogy, but I dunno now.

Speaking of, still waiting for the first screenshot of that Meta Ridley figure. Can't be anywhere as long a wait as the Smashified was.

Last edited:

Zem-raj

Smash Hero
Speaking of, still waiting for the first screenshot of that Meta Ridley figure. Can't be anywhere as long a wait as the Smashified was.
With that, I think they'll reveal screenshots for it first on the closed group page, and then on their official Facebook page when it's available to pre-order. That seems to be the pattern at least for reveals. I'm part of that closed group, so as soon as pictures are available, I'll post them here for everyone to see.

UserKev

Smash Champion
That's a bold prediction, though here's to hoping it turns out true.

I'll continue to support him, but I'm not going to act like he's a guarantee, otherwise he would've been in a game by now. We do know Sakurai has attempted to include him before, but dropped him for one reason or another, with the main issue being he couldn't think of a way of working him into a fighter while still keeping what makes him "feel like Ridley." Insert obligatory "He's too big" comment. Hopefully he figures something out eventually, so we can finally get the big purple space dragon in Smash as a playable character.
But it'd be ok if you did acted like Ridley is a guarantee because that's how ridiculous his long over do-ness is. Basically, if Sakurai announces a new Smash, he'd have to include Ridley by that point or he'll end up as brutally cold himself. Ridley will be the point of Smash 5 because everyone will be wondering "Ridley, Ridley" all over again. It will be intense.

The ingredients for Ridley in Smash 5 is right in front of Sakurai's face and he sees this now. I can see during a monthly update and him saying "This time, Ridley will be a playable character. We worked very hard to make him unique and hope you enjoy Ridley's air mobility."

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
But it'd be ok if you did acted like Ridley is a guarantee because that's how ridiculous his long over do-ness is.
It really wouldn't though. No character is guaranteed to be in Smash and in the event Ridley doesn't make it, the people expecting him to show up wind up disappointed because they set themselves up to be so.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
I appreciate your optimism Kev which we could use a new perspective on around here for some characters, but you also gotta be realistic. C'mon.

if he didnt get into brawl or smash For, where ridley demand was at its highest and he was more relevant thab now (he wasnt in FF) there is no way he is a shoo-in now, when ridley's popularity is at an all time low.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Some have still been talking about a Metroid for E3, and while it is a somewhat possibility, is difficult to be as enthusiastic for the future anymore after the double whammy of Other M and Federation Force. Wouldn't say the series is dead, but will just have a harder time crawling back than it did before (insert Metroid crawl joke). A new Ridley appearance in one would still garner some hype regardless though.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773

UserKev

Smash Champion
It really wouldn't though. No character is guaranteed to be in Smash and in the event Ridley doesn't make it, the people expecting him to show up wind up disappointed because they set themselves up to be so.

Getting your hopes up generally can't be helped. You just get over it. We're saying "Sakurai, let us help you." We want this.
I appreciate your optimism Kev which we could use a new perspective on around here for some characters, but you also gotta be realistic. C'mon.
Um, I am being realistic. I'm posting my thoughts for my own belief. The rest of you can continue being pros at better safe than sorry. I'm calm as I write these.
if he didnt get into brawl or smash For, where ridley demand was at its highest and he was more relevant thab now (he wasnt in FF) there is no way he is a shoo-in now, when ridley's popularity is at an all time low.
Nah. That's the idea. Bring in a once highly requested character and change things because they weren't expecting him/her anymore.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Getting your hopes up generally can't be helped. You just get over it. We're saying "Sakurai, let us help you." We want this.

Um, I am being realistic. I'm posting my thoughts for my own belief. The rest of you can continue being pros at better safe than sorry. I'm calm as I write these.

Nah. That's the idea. Bring in a once highly requested character and change things because they weren't expecting him/her anymore.
To be fair, that is about the only way I could see Ridley being added by this point if it were to happen.

Sakurai: "There's not too many left from Nintendo history I could add as new playable fighters by this point. Oh, but what about this Ridley fella I turned down a couple times? Maybe I should reconsider on him with how he's already changed throughout Smash..."

Yes, he has changed his mind on some things before, but with Ridley, that's still pretty wishful thinking rather than appealing to reason. But whatever, if it's what you believe will happen, not gonna sway you, and you know we'll still rejoice if you're right.

Kirbeh

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
-and then Chrom became a Dragonlord-
It all makes sense now, Sakurai's been saving several characters to include them all at once. Not as separate fighters, but as one super fighter as his next big surprise. Chrom riding atop Ridley while wielding Krystal's spear and K. Rool's blunderbuss.

FunAtParties

PM me ur character ideas girl
NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
It all makes sense now, Sakurai's been saving several characters to include them all at once. Not as separate fighters, but as one super fighter as his next big surprise. Chrom riding atop Ridley while wielding Krystal's spear and K. Rool's blunderbuss.
Its all so obvious now.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I for one welcome our new mutant character overlords.

RomanceDawn

Smash Lord
NNID
Romancedawn
3DS FC
0044-2811-9045
That is it! Next time I go to some convention or event where Nintendo has a presence I'm going to give each and every one of the Tree House guys the frowning of a life time!

>;(

^ Like that!

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
https://twitter.com/zoroarkrules25/status/862725715573305344

Shots fired from the Big N. :V

Wonder if people will stop solely blaming Sakurai now....
Sakurai is still the one who's been deciding the rosters, you can't tell me that Nintendo went to him during development and told him specifically NOT to include Ridley, it's still Sakurai's decision at the end of the day like he himself explained. Nintendo themselves obviously don't hold a grudge against Ridley, by all accounts he's still considered an all-star Nintendo character by them, it's just a desperate attempt from them to connect with their fanbase as being anti-Ridley became the norm after Smash 4's release. They failed horribly at it mind you, just like their Mother 3 joke a few years ago they're unnecessarily poking people where it hurts, if stuff like that was a tease with an eventual payoff it'd be okay, but unfortunately it isn't.

Last edited:

UserKev

Smash Champion
Some people misunderstand my posts.

Smash is one of those games that's release once every blue moon. Entering Smash speculation is like entering the Olympics. You go out with a bang. This is the route I'm going and also because, I want the Ridley memers put to rest.

This is evolution we're talking about.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Sakurai is still the one who's been deciding the rosters, you can't tell me that Nintendo went to him during development and told him specifically NOT to include Ridley, it's still Sakurai's decision at the end of the day like he himself explained. Nintendo themselves obviously don't hold a grudge against Ridley, by all accounts he's still considered an all-star Nintendo character by them, it's just a desperate attempt from them to connect with their fanbase as being anti-Ridley became the norm after Smash 4's release. They failed horribly at it mind you, just like their Mother 3 joke a few years ago they're unnecessarily poking people where it hurts, if stuff like that was a tease with an eventual payoff it'd be okay, but unfortunately it isn't.
Suppose that puts into perspective why they do what they do; not just with the shenanigans against Ridley but in general.

I remember when there were some cool people that used to be at NoA I knew of who actually had something of a soul and personality outside of appealing with epic memes as well as acquired taste in some stuff; how things change for the worse sometimes.

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
Am I the only one that finds this kind of funny? Like yeah it sucks Ridley isn't in, but I don't see the point of getting upset with this.

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist
Am I the only one that finds this kind of funny? Like yeah it sucks Ridley isn't in, but I don't see the point of getting upset with this.
RD.png

I mean, probably some here know how my whole Ridley stuff began. When I joined the boards in 2014, all of the "Support Ridley for Smash" thing was kinda new for me, I thought that it would be cool being to be able to play as him since I adored him as a character ever since I saw him in Super Metroid (I love dragons). But when I got to see the whole ordeal in motion, from the bashing to the arguments and...people getting upset (plus other things), I mean, I felt upset myself with each reveal that wasn't him but, there's one point where I realized that there was actually no point into getting angry with Sakurai or anyone, even the "Toobigots"...that's why I kept drawing Ridley, because I enjoyed his character (and how I made him) over everything else. Even with the "Rayman fiasco", when some where assuming that the artists from Smashified hated Ridley for how they seemed to skip him, well, I didn't thought they did, and it was great to see that they "saved the best for last" making one a pretty awesome model just for Rids.

I may feel like part of the minority that is here because of the character that is Ridley instead of praying for him to be in Smash. Just Saying.

xD About what I posted of him over the AB's comment, it was just because, that thing has mocked plenty of other characters, but Rids seems a priority just because probably Nintendo knows that would trigger some peeps.

Last edited:

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
View attachment 129081

I mean, probably some here know how my whole Ridley stuff began. When I joined the boards in 2014, all of the "Support Ridley for Smash" thing was kinda new for me, I thought that it would be cool being to be able to play as him since I adored him as a character ever since I saw him in Super Metroid (I love dragons). But when I got to see the whole ordeal in motion, from the bashing to the arguments and...people getting upset (plus other things), I mean, I felt upset myself with each reveal that wasn't him but, there's one point where I realized that there was actually no point into getting angry with Sakurai or anyone, even the "Toobigots"...that's why I kept drawing Ridley, because I enjoyed his character (and how I made him) over everything else. Even with the "Rayman fiasco", when some where assuming that the artists from Smashified hated Ridley for how they seemed to skip him, well, I didn't thought they did, and it was great to see that they "saved the best for last" making one a pretty awesome model just for Rids.

I may feel like part of the minority that is here because of the character that is Ridley instead of praying for him to be in Smash. Just Saying.

xD About what I posted of him over the AB's comment, it was just because, that thing has mocked plenty of other characters, but Rids seems a priority just because probably Nintendo knows that would trigger some peeps.
"Toobigots" that's so clever.

I get where you guys are coming from, but it kind of comes with the territory these days. Nintendo just wants to show they're connected with their fanbase, and the Ridley (and Mother 3) memes are the easiest and most known ways to do so.

Top Bottom