• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Lower Norfair

MoveMan1

Smash Journeyman
As long as they shuffle the unlockable characters in each game, I'm fine with them. I actually like the feeling of accomplishment you get when you unlock a character you love.

But to keep this on topic, Ridley DEFINITELY won't be unlockable. If he's in this game, his inclusion will probably be one of Nintendo's key selling points.
Sonic and Snake's were Brawl's, and they ended up being unlockable. There are no guarantees in Smash.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Sonic and Snake's were Brawl's, and they ended up being unlockable. There are no guarantees in Smash.
Many would argue the OG 12 are a guarantee.

...though I am not one of them, particularly after how many times Jiggs has been on the chopping block.
And how superfluous she is to her series as well.

But I do think Ridley will be unlockable, actually.
That said, I think we will get all "unlockable/hidden" characters, revealed for this game.
And then free DLC updates that drop characters without announcement, to actually BE a surprise.

And then paid DLC for a much longer time.

CrowGoesCaw

Smash Journeyman
Oh, free DLC. I never thought of that. That is a way to have a surprise character not data-mined in our current age. That would be pretty awesome, but I hope Ridley himself is revealed one way or another early on.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Good times, tho that image needs to be updated with Proteus Ridley and some things now.

Last edited:

G-Guy

Smash Ace
NNID
G-Guy1990
I am crossing my fingers for Ridley!
I do feel that the last generation of Games didn‘t bring a lot of potential newcomers:

Inklings were guaranteed, an ARMS character will Show up and i find Rex&Pyra rather likely. But besides those, I cannot think of any new and relevant Nintendo Characters that popped up in the last years.

Therefore, I believe that the older ones, like Ridley, K Rool or Waluigi actually have a decent shot this time around

Raxxel

Hipster Heavyweight Champ
NNID
RaxxelAintHappy
3DS FC
2921-9637-8816
I found a leak of the full roaster of Smash 5:

Sakurai: Here is your stupid Ridley, now **** off.
Missed opportunity to put Ridley Scott.

MoveMan1

Smash Journeyman
That fake screenshot straight up makes the concept of a smash Ridley look lame. He looks more like a pokemon that's taken a super shroom than a goddam space dragon.

Xhampi

Smash Lord
So, I remember a fake screenshot of Ridley in SSB 3DS that showed him in a pretty decent size. It took me forever to find it, but here it is. What do you all think? Good size? I thought it was worth sharing.
I kept quite a few pictures from the Sm4sh speculation era myself :

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
While I don't like acknowledging it, the limited 3DS hardware may have very well been more a hindrance for Ridley in Smash than some of us like to admit. If it was for Ice Climbers, then it'd most likely be for him regardless of his role.

Then again, you had that one 3DS Dead or Alive game which was where the idea for Hazardly was unfortunately taken from to begin with, but for Smash, the 3DS version of Gaur Plains didn't even have the Metal Face stage boss, so Pyrosphere would probably have been out of the question for that version.

Regardless of how you spin it though, it wasn't until Samus Returns that we had a Ridley appearance that was well executed/defined for the 3DS... May have helped if we had that before Smash 3DS was a thing (where Proteus Ridley could then have been ported to Smash 3DS), not that it matters now in concern or regards to Smash Switch.

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
While I don't like acknowledging it, the limited 3DS hardware may have very well been more a hindrance for Ridley in Smash than some of us like to admit. If it was for Ice Climbers, then it'd most likely be for him regardless of his role.

Then again, you had that one 3DS Dead or Alive game which was where the idea for Hazardly was unfortunately taken from to begin with, but for Smash, the 3DS version of Gaur Plains didn't even have the Metal Face stage boss, so Pyrosphere would probably have been out of the question for that version.

Regardless of how you spin it though, it wasn't until Samus Returns that we had a Ridley appearance that was well executed/defined for the 3DS... May have helped if we had that before Smash 3DS was a thing (where Proteus Ridley could then have been ported to Smash 3DS), not that it matters now in concern or regards to Smash Switch.
I have no idea why people would not want to acknowledge it when it benefits his chances currently, perhaps back in the day you would want to avoid that potential issue, but as of current? It only helps.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Is kind of a pride thing I guess when it comes to not immediately wanting to admit there being even more possible hindrances or hurdles for Ridley, but true enough; point taken.

itsaxelol

Smash Ace
After a week or two of trying to remember my password, I have done it! I'm here to get blueballs and curse out sakurai once Ridley and k rool are neglected again for waifu characters!

FunAtParties

PM me ur character ideas girl
NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
I have no idea why people would not want to acknowledge it when it benefits his chances currently, perhaps back in the day you would want to avoid that potential issue, but as of current? It only helps.
Probably because unlike a character like the Ice Climbers who were actually acknowledged to be cut because of the limitations, the lack of Ridley was given a different pretty specific reason for not being in the game.

Blaming the 3DS only makes us look desperate imo.

Morbi

Scavenger
After a week or two of trying to remember my password, I have done it! I'm here to get blueballs and curse out sakurai once Ridley and k rool are neglected again for waifu characters!
I forgot my password, I am just glad I had the foresight to have the computer remember for me. Otherwise I would have just made a new account... With my old name.

Either way, maybe we do not want to repeat the meltdown that happened back in Smash 4. That was pretty embarrassing.

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
I forgot my password, I am just glad I had the foresight to have the computer remember for me. Otherwise I would have just made a new account... With my old name.

Either way, maybe we do not want to repeat the meltdown that happened back in Smash 4. That was pretty embarrassing.
The comment you're replying to is in the K.Rool thread lmao

Zeox

Smash Champion

I just found this and I wanted to share it because I don't know, I found it cute and awful at the same time... Imagine if Ridley and Samus grew up together and they both became friends and bounty hunters... I mean maybe she wouldn't become a bounty hunter because her parents would be alive but you get what I mean.

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist

I just found this and I wanted to share it because I don't know, I found it cute and awful at the same time... Imagine if Ridley and Samus grew up together and they both became friends and bounty hunters... I mean maybe she wouldn't become a bounty hunter because her parents would be alive but you get what I mean.
xD I did something regarding what would be of Samus if Ridley hadn't attacked K2-L in another thread:
RIDS2.jpg

"I'm so looking forward to see you working as a McDonald's Chashier."

But since it is the OTHER Ridley, I think it would go like this:
2015-12-14.jpg

XD Maybe less agressive since the Chicken Legged Furby from Hell would get used to Samus, maybe.

Last edited:

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
xD I did something regarding what would be of Samus if Ridley hadn't attacked K2-L in another thread:
View attachment 139238
"I'm so looking forward to see you working as a McDonald's Chashier."

But since it is the OTHER Ridley, I think it would go like this:
View attachment 139237
XD Maybe less agressive since the Chicken Legged Furby from Hell would get used to Samus, maybe.
Off topic, but I've been reading all the OPM manga so now I naturally read panels right to left, and get confused.

Drclaw411

Smash Lord
What if Ridley is announced by Sakurai, a trailer is shown, and is on the character select screen in-game...but selecting him automatically just plays the Rick Roll video?

Morbi

Scavenger
What if Ridley is announced by Sakurai, a trailer is shown, and is on the character select screen in-game...but selecting him automatically just plays the Rick Roll video?
I guess that is the very reason most people here say that they will not believe it until they themselves play it. I guess it saves them from this hypothetical.

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
Are we reposting pre smash 4 speculation pics of Ridley? Because I have a ton of those. I even have some stuff you drew way back in the day, AndreaAC AndreaAC .

I also have pics saved from the pre Brawl speculation... I've been here awhile lol.

I'm at work atm but I'll post some nostalgia later.

CrowGoesCaw

Smash Journeyman
There was a lot of awesome content people made. I'd love to see some of it again. I think I have some stuff on my old computer still, I'm sure including some of the awesome stuff AndreaAC drew. I might reassemble it tomorrow.

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
Ooh, fun!

I didn’t get into Smash speculation until about a year before Sm4sh release, so I bet I missed a lot. Love to see more!

Last edited:

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Going back to the 3DS subject for a sec, I do wonder how Proteus Ridley would've been in Smash 3DS if Samus Returns had been a thing before we got SSB4 on 3DS, as he would've been easiest to port there... Ah well, no way of knowing now. Maybe Proteus Ridley mods would be easiest to have on that version though, but I don't know if there's really a modding scene for Smash 3DS like there sort of is for Smash U.

egaddmario

Smash Champion
NNID
egaddmario
3DS FC
0946-2409-3627
If i'm not still on the supporter list from Brawl and Smash 4, put me down again!

Zeox

Smash Champion
I just thought in another reason why Ridley should be playable in this next smash.... A RIDLEY AMIIBO! Why there is still no Ridley amiibos!? I want to buy one! C'mon Nintendo!

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist
Are we reposting pre smash 4 speculation pics of Ridley? Because I have a ton of those. I even have some stuff you drew way back in the day, AndreaAC AndreaAC .

I also have pics saved from the pre Brawl speculation... I've been here awhile lol.

I'm at work atm but I'll post some nostalgia later.
There was a lot of awesome content people made. I'd love to see some of it again. I think I have some stuff on my old computer still, I'm sure including some of the awesome stuff AndreaAC drew. I might reassemble it tomorrow.
XD I guess this nostalgia meltdown is going to be fun....I honestly don't want to remember the entirety of the Smash4 speculation days as I'm not too fond of them. This time things are more tranquil, that is why I went back into doodling Rids for this thread.

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
XD I guess this nostalgia meltdown is going to be fun....I honestly don't want to remember the entirety of the Smash4 speculation days as I'm not too fond of them. This time things are more tranquil, that is why I went back into doodling Rids for this thread.
I loved the Smash 4 speculation days, we did not get what we wanted; however, I genuinely had a lot of fun. The Ridley thread was the best. Most of the other threads were really boring, but the Ridley thread, for the most part, was always exciting. I do not mind the tranquil approach this time around, but at the same time, it does not really befit Ridley and it just makes him seem like "another Nintendo character" which could not be further from the truth in my eyes. It is what it is.

IronTed

Smash Ace
When you really think about it, the demand for Ridley has been around for a really long time, and consistently as well. Even in spite of Sakurai's comments. In a way it's fitting, just as Ridley keeps recovering from getting beaten by Samus, his supporters come back after every game of him not being playable.

Morbi

Scavenger
When you really think about it, the demand for Ridley has been around for a really long time, and consistently as well. Even in spite of Sakurai's comments. In a way it's fitting, just as Ridley keeps recovering from getting beaten by Samus, his supporters come back after every game of him not being playable.
That is surprisingly deep. They say you enjoy characters you can relate to, perhaps we are all just masochistic? Or maybe Ridely was never the answer and we need to support a meta-Ridley without wings? The world may never know.

Con0rrrr

PPMD Kreygasm
NNID
Con0rrrr
3DS FC
4656-6340-0779
Any good new Ridley leaks or Rumors this past week? Holding onto hope... always.

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
WE WILL NEVER DIE!!!

Zem-raj

Smash Hero
Any good new Ridley leaks or Rumors this past week? Holding onto hope... always.
Not sure if this counts, but recently DasVergeben (a leaker) said that his source(s) have told him that Ridley is playable. The problem is that DasVergeben has a very shaky record, he has been right and wrong for leaks, which is why I'm reluctant to give this leak a chance. From the way I see it, he's waging whatever credibility he has left on this. If he or his sources are lying, he's pretty much done.

Top Bottom