• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Lower Norfair

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
I am still as much of a supporter as I was three years ago. I am not confident Ridley will be playable in the next Smash iteration, but a girl can dream.

IronTed

Smash Ace
xD From all the colors he has gotten, the gamma of purples on him has been the most iconic, so totally understandable, even, if you have seen Retsupurae's "Character Assassination Authorized" video (which is HILARIOUS), the purple bugs at the beginning of the Bottle Ship they called them "It's a Ridley spider!" because of the purple, for example.

And only time will tell, though I have my bet that he escaped not much later after Samus left the planet and before the X Parasite began to wander around, maybe? His persistance and adrenaline rush he may have gotten would make him want to act fast to get out of the situation after probably faking death yet again. Funny, some people make fun of Ridley's constant failed attempts to kill Samus, but when she gets him down, she NEVER reasures he's actually dead by blowing his head off.

Yeah...I went in denial when I saw the furby thing was supposed to be him, and the endless Duckley and Pokemon jokes it brought.
View attachment 132695 View attachment 132696 That's why I prefer to make Ridley and Roidley totally different beings and not blood-related, I dunno, I have always thought Other M Roidley is like...from an parallel universe or something...dull, and full of baby metaphors...COUGH. But even, I have made Roidley tolerable for some, because it is nothing like in the game, and it is a comic relief I (kind of accidentally) created out of my despise for it back in 2014, making Silly Roidley and the "Ridley bros." something to enjoy.

I noticed! It is great, I have always liked the Yellow/Orange/Red his eyes have, so the Other M one with green put me off the first time I saw it, and I hope that also his blood is red (like was apparently shown in the Phazon Meta Ridley fight) and not...err...mucus green, honestly.
Was that the video where they watched Other M's theater mode? Because that was amazing.

Also, have you watched the actual Ridley fight from SR? Because it makes him more threatening than any other Ridley incarnation, he even almost killed Samus, if not for the infant metroid. Yeah Samus may beat him every time, but very few people fight Samus and even live to tell the tale, let alone consistently engage her. You used to be able to count on one hand how many have beaten Samus on their own. Mother Brain, infant Metroid, Dark Samus, Omega clone of infant, SA-X and now, Ridley. Other M's PTSD doesn't count.

Yeah, I remember the Roidley thing. Some people came up with weird names. Like Emiley (I find that name dumb to be honest). I'm just glad we're back to the classic design, it's cool seeing him as a model opposed to a Sprite for the first time, Brawl's derpy model notwithstanding (and Melee's incomplete model).

On a random note, I cannot figure out why he is called Proteus Ridley in SR. I think it's an Alien reference, but it's still an odd rename.

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist
Was that the video where they watched Other M's theater mode? Because that was amazing.

Also, have you watched the actual Ridley fight from SR? Because it makes him more threatening than any other Ridley incarnation, he even almost killed Samus, if not for the infant metroid. Yeah Samus may beat him every time, but very few people fight Samus and even live to tell the tale, let alone consistently engage her. You used to be able to count on one hand how many have beaten Samus on their own. Mother Brain, infant Metroid, Dark Samus, Omega clone of infant, SA-X and now, Ridley. Other M's PTSD doesn't count.

Yeah, I remember the Roidley thing. Some people came up with weird names. Like Emiley (I find that name dumb to be honest). I'm just glad we're back to the classic design, it's cool seeing him as a model opposed to a Sprite for the first time, Brawl's derpy model notwithstanding (and Melee's incomplete model).

On a random note, I cannot figure out why he is called Proteus Ridley in SR. I think it's an Alien reference, but it's still an odd rename.
xD Yes, that one exactly! I have watched more than once because it never ceases to make me laugh!

I did, actually, you are totally right, and I loved that he used both moves from the classic and Primes. I find odd how a tiny lil Metroid could bother him that much...every time the baby metroid went to start sucking Ridley's energy, I wondered "could it be possible that it alone could drain him completely?", I would think that the only thing that could be a treat for him would be a Queen, but I also believe Ridley would put a fight instead of not even thinking of fleeing from it like Other M Ridley, which I found it pretty bad. Thank god that...I hope, that what happened in Federation Farce with her is NEVER adressed as canon....like some had said, what happened there where the Fed's had to save her from being "mind controlled" makes no sense. Let's see what happens in MP4, but I doubt Ridley is going to appear if it supposed to focus on Samus and FedFarce seems to be part of it...

xD Emiley? I swear I have never heard that one...only Roidley and Duckley...And I feel the same, I adore the design of the model of this game as much as the others (including Ridley's derpy one in Brawl), I wish it was a high poly one like the Prime games, i just want to admire the details, or at least a HI-res render of it.

Um, I looked up the meaning of proteus and this came out:
Classical Mythology. a sea god, son of Oceanus and Tethys, noted forhis ability to assume different forms and to prophesy.
a person or thing that readily changes appearance, character,principles, etc.

I guess it has to do of him going from the Classic one to Meta (both MP1 and MP3 though that is just Omega with a phazon armor all over his prostetics), to Omega, then Proteus and lastly going back to Classic in full circle.

EDIT: XD Sorry if i'm nerding for too long...it has been a while since I have talked about Riddles like this.

Last edited:

IronTed

Smash Ace
xD Yes, that one exactly! I have watched more than once because it never ceases to make me laugh!

I did, actually, you are totally right, and I loved that he used both moves from the classic and Primes. I find odd how a tiny lil Metroid could bother him that much...every time the baby metroid went to start sucking Ridley's energy, I wondered "could it be possible that it alone could drain him completely?", I would think that the only thing that could be a treat for him would be a Queen, but I also believe Ridley would put a fight instead of not even thinking of fleeing from it like Other M Ridley, which I found it pretty bad. Thank god that...I hope, that what happened in Federation Farce with her is NEVER adressed as canon....like some had said, what happened there where the Fed's had to save her from being "mind controlled" makes no sense. Let's see what happens in MP4, but I doubt Ridley is going to appear if it supposed to focus on Samus and FedFarce seems to be part of it...

xD Emiley? I swear I have never heard that one...only Roidley and Duckley...And I feel the same, I adore the design of the model of this game as much as the others (including Ridley's derpy one in Brawl), I wish it was a high poly one like the Prime games, i just want to admire the details, or at least a HI-res render of it.

Um, I looked up the meaning of proteus and this came out:
Classical Mythology. a sea god, son of Oceanus and Tethys, noted forhis ability to assume different forms and to prophesy.
a person or thing that readily changes appearance, character,principles, etc.

I guess it has to do of him going from the Classic one to Meta (both MP1 and MP3 though that is just Omega with a phazon armor all over his prostetics), to Omega, then Proteus and lastly going back to Classic in full circle.

EDIT: XD Sorry if i'm nerding for too long...it has been a while since I have talked about Riddles like this.
Oh, I totally forgot about FF. Yeah, that also never made sense, since when did the Pirates have mind control tech? For a game with solid bosses, that was a huge letdown. And yeah, the infant did a lot of damage, but maybe it's a queen-specific trait? Also, after it stopped draining him, he recovered quickly, which is different from how other Metroids do it, where you kinda just die immediately.

Yeah, the models itself is cool, but limited by the hardware. Meta Ridley is still the more impressive looking one, of course 480p>240p.

Yeah, the second definition sounds right. And no, you're fine! I enjoy nerding out about this stuff too, it's part of the fun.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Recently beat Samus Returns and...
To me, it seems apparent Ridley won't get a radical redesign anytime soon, as seen with his surprise boss fight in the end of Samus Returns, and I believe it will stay as a choice of Metroid's current creative head, Yoshio Sakamoto.

And thus, Ridley will likely stay as a boss in the future Smash titles, whoever directs them.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
I also recently beat it

Saying it straight up, This is my favourite 2D Ridley fight, his more variety as the fight goes on makes it much better than all the others, even if phase 1 doesn't offer much.

Also one thing about his design that I haven't seen anyone metion is his neck, it no longer wired weird looking joint, but rather a simple long neck. He often has it curved to replicate the other designs.

Also while hard to tell due to metal, I think the tail is based on Other M

IronTed

Smash Ace
I also recently beat it

Saying it straight up, This is my favourite 2D Ridley fight, his more variety as the fight goes on makes it much better than all the others, even if phase 1 doesn't offer much.

Also one thing about his design that I haven't seen anyone metion is his neck, it no longer wired weird looking joint, but rather a simple long neck. He often has it curved to replicate the other designs.

Also while hard to tell due to metal, I think the tail is based on Other M
Same, best 2D fight, easily puts the GBA ones to shame. Also one of the most complex boss fights in all of 2D Metroid as well. Same could be said for other SR bosses, they really are fleshed out compared to previous entries.

Yeah, his neck looks natural now, definitely less awkward looking. I don't think this design changes anything for Smash, really. This seems like a more conservative Ridley redesign, which fits with how Nintendo has been handling Metroid recently.

AndreaAC

Same, best 2D fight, easily puts the GBA ones to shame. Also one of the most complex boss fights in all of 2D Metroid as well. Same could be said for other SR bosses, they really are fleshed out compared to previous entries.

Yeah, his neck looks natural now, definitely less awkward looking. I don't think this design changes anything for Smash, really. This seems like a more conservative Ridley redesign, which fits with how Nintendo has been handling Metroid recently.
I wonder, a friend called Ridley's new design with that less awkward neck being a "vulture neck" (that was more evident with Omega Ridley before) instead of the toothpick/arm bones neck, I'm thinking...from what you and others have seen of how I draw Classic Rids based on the Brawl design with alterations I did, should I also change the neck to something similar to his current design?

IronTed

Smash Ace
I wonder, a friend called Ridley's new design with that less awkward neck being a "vulture neck" (that was more evident with Omega Ridley before) instead of the toothpick/arm bones neck, I'm thinking...from what you and others have seen of how I draw Classic Rids based on the Brawl design with alterations I did, should I also change the neck to something similar to his current design?
I mean, it goes without saying, do what you want to do. But, I think trying to draw him with a new neck would be interesting, as this is the first Ridley redesign in over 7 years. Perhaps trying something new might be a good idea, it would be interesting to see him with that neck in more pictures. But that's just me.

AndreaAC

I mean, it goes without saying, do what you want to do. But, I think trying to draw him with a new neck would be interesting, as this is the first Ridley redesign in over 7 years. Perhaps trying something new might be a good idea, it would be interesting to see him with that neck in more pictures. But that's just me.
I just found the concept art design, and he looks amazing:
meta-ridley.jpg
xD I still laugh at the similarities to my old idea of his half Omega form.
Where I found the concept art, it seems that the person forgot this form, from what I could get from it, I can seem how Ridley's have the mechanical structure but with the fleshy membrane instead of the holographic wings since when he liberated the phazon energy through the explosion, he covered himself with his wings before it happened and they seem to have been destroyed completely, or at least the prostetic because just like his body in this, he has his original body inside all that armor. Same for the tail, he wraped it around himself that time. I guess the most damaged parts of his body after the whole Guardian ordeal were the ones that got more mechanical like in his Meta form. Oh, and he got his purple scales.

XD About the question I did, I may just see what I can do out of curiosity and see what comes out!

Last edited:

AndreaAC

New Neck.jpg

I apologize for the double post...but well, this is what I thought when giving Riddles a "new neck" or...an old thick one... He accidentally swallowed an apple, Roidley is completely oblivious and Ridley is wishing in between the struggle he could hit him in the head.

IronTed

Smash Ace
Yeah, his concept art is really cool, honestly, SR's concept art is too good, it makes the ingame models an inevitable let down (although I don't find SR ugly).

That's pretty good! I guess that's why Ridley should double-chew his food before swallowing?

Wiinner159

Smash Hero
NNID
Make a guess...
3DS FC
2251-6491-9042
Man all these spoiler markers are making me wish there was an easy way to classify spoilers for specific games so you could just open them all if you've already beaten the game the spoiler is of. I'm too lazy to open up all these spoiler tabs >_>

AndreaAC

Yeah, his concept art is really cool, honestly, SR's concept art is too good, it makes the ingame models an inevitable let down (although I don't find SR ugly).

That's pretty good! I guess that's why Ridley should double-chew his food before swallowing?
I totally agree, but what else we could have expected from a probable console game? If it had been released on a home console, I don't doubt they would have gotten out of their way to make them look exactly like the concepts in detail.

xD About that, let's say my interpretation of Rids had forgotten how was to swallow big quantities of food with that kind of neck (in his time in the phazon crisis in Urtraghus he could eat just fine)...I had thought he had a weird way and process to do so with his toothpic neck (since he's no ordinary dragon after all). xD And well, he is in a place with load of things humans eat, so to try it out, he grabbed the first thing he saw (the apple), but thanks to a jumpscare from Roidley, he swallowed it whole. :p

D

Deleted member

View attachment 132709
I apologize for the double post...but well, this is what I thought when giving Riddles a "new neck" or...an old thick one... He accidentally swallowed an apple, Roidley is completely oblivious and Ridley is wishing in between the struggle he could hit him in the head.
-meanwhile, Samus smirks from a distance over her archenemy's suffering-

Zem-raj

Smash Hero
Recently beat Samus Returns and...
To me, it seems apparent Ridley won't get a radical redesign anytime soon, as seen with his surprise boss fight in the end of Samus Returns, and I believe it will stay as a choice of Metroid's current creative head, Yoshio Sakamoto.

And thus, Ridley will likely stay as a boss in the future Smash titles, whoever directs them.
When they do a redesign for Ridley, they don't do it in mind of making it "suitable" for Super Smash Bros., they do it to make it relevant to the plot and for gameplay reasons. For Super Smash Bros., it's a different type of gameplay: a fighter as opposed to a 2D platform scroller (which you're only able to beat the game by defeating bosses with the method of shooting them and bombing them). Ridley is big because he's a boss, that's what most bosses in Metroid games are: big. Samus sized bosses became more common after Metroid Prime Hunters (Ignoring SA-X and Dark Samus, as they're meant to be that way, since they're doppelgängers) - these Samus sized bosses are from games (Prime series) that give you more freedom of movement (Move around in all directions, as opposed to four directions only), and you can lock onto enemies and keep track of them (whereas in 2D games, you had to aim in their general direction). Otherwise, any "bosses" around Samus' size tend to be "Mini Bosses".

They could create a more "Smash friendly" design for Ridley, taking the iconic features and mold them into a hybrid design that's balanced and suitable for the game. Perhaps they can take the Brawl model and adjust it accordingly (adding more modern features, changing proportions).

Edit: Though I agree with you that he might stick to boss status in future titles. Sorry if this seemed like talking down or giving a hard time, that wasn't my intent D:

Last edited:

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Is it really necessary to still spoiler tag stuff? Eh whatever.

Yeah, pretty much. I see where FSG's coming from though, and being pessimistic/realistic, it's what I see happening (remaining a boss in Smash), but that's no reason to stop wanting Ridley. With the new moves and things the latest incarnation adds to the table, I think he's reasonable to still support for Smash. Just gotta know when to fold if or when worse comes to worse again, as opposed to going all mental gymnastics when the writing's on the wall like many did during SSB4 speculation... Avoid that and we'll be fine.

Last edited:

Zem-raj

Smash Hero
Is it really necessary to still spoiler tag stuff? Eh whatever.

Yeah, pretty much. I see where FSG's coming from though, and being pessimistic/realistic, it's what I see happening (remaining a boss in Smash), but that's no reason to stop wanting Ridley. With the new moves and things the latest incarnation adds to the table, I think he's reasonable to still support for Smash. Just gotta know when to fold if or when worse comes to worse again, as opposed to going all mental gymnastics when the writing's on the wall like many did during SSB4 speculation... Avoid that and we'll be fine.
Yeah it's a possibility he'll unfortunately stick to his boss role in Smash, which'll suck, but it's not unexpected. We just need to hope that things will change - that's all we can do for now.

Last edited:

IronTed

Smash Ace
As for the smash thing,

I really doubt a new design would change anyone's view on Ridley's workability. It's not like Animal Crossing City Folk came out and Sakurai thought "y'know, the villager can work now". It's purely down to vision, and nothing else. He isn't more or less likely based on this, considering IF (just speaking hypothetically, here) they made him playabale, they'd likely go with Super's design anyway, not this design. Granted a stage hazard/boss would probably use SR's design though.

Last edited:

AndreaAC

RIDDLES.png

Just some random tryout to make a comic-like page with Riddles, having making him so expressive for so long makes him the perfect subject for this kind of stuff, too bad I don't think I could make it as much as I wish I was able to, since it requires a lot of planning. It was a good practice nonetheless.

D

Deleted member

Posted in the wrong thread.

Last edited by a moderator:

AndreaAC

The Ridleys.jpg

Just gave a try into drawing Manga Ridley's face, and it is...so weird. xD But I had fun nonetheless.

IronTed

Smash Ace
By the way, great news:

http://nintendoeverything.com/3ds-eshop-charts-92017/

Samus Returns is #1 on the Eshop charts (In terms of software at least)!
Thanks! Worth noting, SR debuted at 15th (only a couple days for it to chart), then climbed to 4th, and now 1st, impressively outselling Gold and Silver. Yes, the sales are split into 2 SKU's vs. 1, but GS are way cheaper, so keep that in mind.

Also, last week Super Metroid reappeared in the charts at 16, this week at 11. Clearly SR is giving it a boost.

Last edited:
I feel like Saturday should be good enough to stop doing spoilers, at least for stuff directly relevant to this thread.

A week and a day seems like enough.

Holy **** the fight against Ridley is great. It's pure fanservice and I love it. I could see one or two being used in smash like the claw, but it's just an all around good fight. And being the final boss (finally) of the "revival" (FF already exists) of Metroid seems like a pretty significant detail to me.

It's no Mother Brain, but it's a great fight and most importantly, has rekindled my desire to play as Ridley in smash. Back to going for the ultimate longshot

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Super Mother Brain's fight was a glorified cutscene, tho I don't deny the feels it gave. MSR's final fight is easily the most engaging out of any of the 2D Metroid final bosses.

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Wow, the end game of Samus Returns put Other M to shame in all sorts of ways.

*Queen Metroid: Lets you figure out it's weakness and mode of attack organically rather than trapping you in a QTE without button prompts.
*Samus: Says more with actions than Other SaMus could with hours of narration. Also, wrestles baby from Ridley's grasp herself.
*Ridley: Big entrance, big fight and takes Samus out on own merits rather than awkwardly retconed trauma.
*The Baby: Worth obesssing over

I wonder if this is Nintendo responding to the backlash from Prime not being canon while Other M was. Ridley's cybernetics make Prime 70% canon (could be explained without Prime but the implication is obvious) while Samus's actions and behaviour contradict her Other M portrayal.

Also, Rogue Chozo. Nice, that way the baddie of Dread/Fusion sequel doens't have to be the Federation itself.

IronTed

Smash Ace
Wow, the end game of Samus Returns put Other M to shame in all sorts of ways.

*Queen Metroid: Lets you figure out it's weakness and mode of attack organically rather than trapping you in a QTE without button prompts.
*Samus: Says more with actions than Other SaMus could with hours of narration. Also, wrestles baby from Ridley's grasp herself.
*Ridley: Big entrance, big fight and takes Samus out on own merits rather than awkwardly retconed trauma.
*The Baby: Worth obesssing over

I wonder if this is Nintendo responding to the backlash from Prime not being canon while Other M was. Ridley's cybernetics make Prime 70% canon (could be explained without Prime but the implication is obvious) while Samus's actions and behaviour contradict her Other M portrayal.

Also, Rogue Chozo. Nice, that way the baddie of Dread/Fusion sequel doens't have to be the Federation itself.
Prime was always canon, people just freak out when Sakamoto says "parallel". The irony is Other M is more inconsistent with the main games than with the prime games.

Last edited:

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Yeah, Prime was never officially declared non-canon. Pretty much agree with the post otherwise, especially on the Metroid Queen being done better in MSR than Other M bit.

The Sakamoto hate boner will always be there for some, but can we at least agree he redeemed himself from Other M with MSR? The game also seems to paint a better picture/impression for MercurySteam than their take on Castlevania did...

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I feel like Saturday should be good enough to stop doing spoilers, at least for stuff directly relevant to this thread.

A week and a day seems like enough.
Waiting for a month after release is wiser IMO.
Don't forget there may are people who intend to buy the game asap who may have unexpected setbacks.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Nintendo spoiled Ridley's presence themselves with the showing of the last direct (vengeance has a name and all that), so who would we be spoiling it for if we stopped using the tags soon? Not like this is one of the most active places that tons of people go to. Getting tired of having to use these things already and waiting another month till we can stop hiding behind them here seems needlessly over-cautious.

Zem-raj

Smash Hero
Not much news regarding F4F Meta Ridley figure yet.

However there's a possibility that the figure might be the size (or similar to) of the F4F Link and Loftwing figure.

I only found this out after one of the F4F staff members posted a question about it on the Facebook page.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Oh, hey, I'm playing Metroid: Samus Returns. Actually really enjoying it (despite not being a huge Metroid fan). Probably going to do a Let's Play on my Youtube of Metroid Fusion (because I have that on Wii U and can actually record footage, unlike on 3DS).

I'm also fighting the final boss.

Damn he's tough. That one video I caught of the final boss battle against Ridley made him look like a joke, but he's NO joke. I cannot avoid taking damage. Its really hard to get out of range of his attacks. He's fast as hell and takes out huge chunks of my health.

I did manage to make it to the final boss, but I've died three times to him now. Also I have 100% completion. But I've noticed I can only deal damage with the Plasma Beam and Super Missiles. Nothing else can hit him. I also have to target the parts under his neck that aren't covered with his Meta Ridley tech.

Man is this battle epic, though, and I'm shocked they made Ridley the final boss. I figured maybe they'd make him an optional boss or something, but the final boss? That's amazing, and ties directly into how he comes back for the Baby Metroid in Super Metroid. I love it.

I also like the dark atmosphere when coming back to the surface again with the Baby Metroid. I even noticed some sort of weird whirlwind in the background.

This boss battle was absolutely made for the fans of Ridley. People have been clamoring for Ridley, Samus' arch-nemesis, to be a final boss for years. Its just perfectly tied in. I also love how he's partially Meta Ridley, a tie-in to the Prime series.

Nintendo spoiled Ridley's presence themselves with the showing of the last direct (vengeance has a name and all that), so who would we be spoiling it for if we stopped using the tags soon? Not like this is one of the most active places that tons of people go to. Getting tired of having to use these things already and waiting another month till we can stop hiding behind them here seems needlessly over-cautious.
They heavily teased it, but they didn't spoil it directly. Personally, I was thinking Ridley was extremely likely to show up in a remake of this old game. I wasn't expecting the final boss.

EDIT: Another update.

Holy S*** he just picked me up, SLAMMED be against the wall, and utterly DESTROYED me. Like wow. Other cutscene-like sequences just broke up the phases, but this was something else entirely. I'm guessing that's his strongest attack. I'm probably supposed to parry it, but I just attempted to dodge out of the way (and failed).

For other moves, like when he's spewing fire, I try going underneath him to get out of the way, but he doesn't have any of that crap. He just stays hovering in midair and keeps up with me even if I try going behind him, not letting me get behind him.

Last edited:

IronTed

Smash Ace
Oh, hey, I'm playing Metroid: Samus Returns. Actually really enjoying it (despite not being a huge Metroid fan). Probably going to do a Let's Play on my Youtube of Metroid Fusion (because I have that on Wii U and can actually record footage, unlike on 3DS).

I'm also fighting the final boss.

Damn he's tough. That one video I caught of the final boss battle against Ridley made him look like a joke, but he's NO joke. I cannot avoid taking damage. Its really hard to get out of range of his attacks. He's fast as hell and takes out huge chunks of my health.

I did manage to make it to the final boss, but I've died three times to him now. Also I have 100% completion. But I've noticed I can only deal damage with the Plasma Beam and Super Missiles. Nothing else can hit him. I also have to target the parts under his neck that aren't covered with his Meta Ridley tech.

Man is this battle epic, though, and I'm shocked they made Ridley the final boss. I figured maybe they'd make him an optional boss or something, but the final boss? That's amazing, and ties directly into how he comes back for the Baby Metroid in Super Metroid. I love it.

I also like the dark atmosphere when coming back to the surface again with the Baby Metroid. I even noticed some sort of weird whirlwind in the background.

This boss battle was absolutely made for the fans of Ridley. People have been clamoring for Ridley, Samus' arch-nemesis, to be a final boss for years. Its just perfectly tied in. I also love how he's partially Meta Ridley, a tie-in to the Prime series.

They heavily teased it, but they didn't spoil it directly. Personally, I was thinking Ridley was extremely likely to show up in a remake of this old game. I wasn't expecting the final boss.

EDIT: Another update.

Holy S*** he just picked me up, SLAMMED be against the wall, and utterly DESTROYED me. Like wow. Other cutscene-like sequences just broke up the phases, but this was something else entirely. I'm guessing that's his strongest attack. I'm probably supposed to parry it, but I just attempted to dodge out of the way (and failed).

For other moves, like when he's spewing fire, I try going underneath him to get out of the way, but he doesn't have any of that crap. He just stays hovering in midair and keeps up with me even if I try going behind him, not letting me get behind him.
You can not melee counter his command grab, actually. Learned that the hard way. You can only counter during phase 3, after the baby latches on to him, he'll attack. That is the only time you can melee counter him.

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Just beat Metroid Samus Returns 100% (my first time doing that with a Metroid game), with a final clear time of 11:28:19 (probably not great, but I'm just glad that I completed it 100%).
Don't know if we need to spoiler-tag the final boss at this point (the fact that we're posting about it so much probably indicates who it is), but the Ridley fight was tough but fair - it took a few tries, but it was never as frustrating as the digging robot, and I wound up finishing him off with a melee counter, which was really satisfying. (though I don't know if you have to do that)

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Just beat Metroid Samus Returns 100% (my first time doing that with a Metroid game), with a final clear time of 11:28:19 (probably not great, but I'm just glad that I completed it 100%).
Don't know if we need to spoiler-tag the final boss at this point (the fact that we're posting about it so much probably indicates who it is), but the Ridley fight was tough but fair - it took a few tries, but it was never as frustrating as the digging robot, and I wound up finishing him off with a melee counter, which was really satisfying. (though I don't know if you have to do that)
I haven't beaten it yet, but I do have 100%. However, I did 100% on Super Metroid as well (there I followed a guide; I did this on my own, but admittedly only pulled it off because of the sensor).

Personally I didn't have too many problems with the robot. I didn't know what to do for the third phase for some time, but overall he was quite predictable and I could avoid all his attacks easy enough. The only time I took serious damage is in Phase 3 trying to drop bombs for it. I didn't even know he could pull in my bombs, but I assumed that must have been the case.

With Ridley I know what to do, I just can't avoid his goddamn attacks. I take too much damage because he hits like a truck. I'll get it eventually, I know, but its definitely the hardest boss in the game.

In regards to countering, I'm pretty sure you don't have to counter ANY enemy to kill it. It just makes things easier if you can pull it off. I also heard that Ridley's counter is extremely tight.

You can not melee counter his command grab, actually. Learned that the hard way. You can only counter during phase 3, after the baby latches on to him, he'll attack. That is the only time you can mekee counter him.
I've reached Phase 3. That's when he destroyed me with that grab. I assumed it was only in Phase 3, so thanks for letting me know he can destroy me even before then. :p

I know the Baby latched onto him during the cutscene, but I guess maybe it'll happen during the battle as well? Anyway, I guess that'll come around later. I had heard you could counter him, but its an EXTREMELY tight one.

IronTed

Smash Ace
I haven't beaten it yet, but I do have 100%. However, I did 100% on Super Metroid as well (there I followed a guide; I did this on my own, but admittedly only pulled it off because of the sensor).

Personally I didn't have too many problems with the robot. I didn't know what to do for the third phase for some time, but overall he was quite predictable and I could avoid all his attacks easy enough. The only time I took serious damage is in Phase 3 trying to drop bombs for it. I didn't even know he could pull in my bombs, but I assumed that must have been the case.

With Ridley I know what to do, I just can't avoid his goddamn attacks. I take too much damage because he hits like a truck. I'll get it eventually, I know, but its definitely the hardest boss in the game.

In regards to countering, I'm pretty sure you don't have to counter ANY enemy to kill it. It just makes things easier if you can pull it off. I also heard that Ridley's counter is extremely tight.

I've reached Phase 3. That's when he destroyed me with that grab. I assumed it was only in Phase 3, so thanks for letting me know he can destroy me even before then. :p

I know the Baby latched onto him during the cutscene, but I guess maybe it'll happen during the battle as well? Anyway, I guess that'll come around later. I had heard you could counter him, but its an EXTREMELY tight one.
Yeah, once you deal enough damage, the baby will latch on to him (not talking about the cutscene where it saves Samus). The timing is very tight, and unless you are prepared, you will mess up.

But yeah, his command grab deals a ton of damage, I think it's the most damaging attack in the game tbh.

As for diggernaut, he's a primelike boss in a 2D game. He's not a damage sponge like every previous 2D boss, but more of a puzzle. The only difference is, you cannot scan him like in the primes, so it takes more attention to detail.

Diggernaut destroyed me, died more to him than anyone else. My problem was, phase 3, had one more spot to bomb, but every time he would stick his head out, I couldn't bomb him when the blue lights lined up. He'd constantly electrify himself. I had to strategically "wait" for him, in order to change the pattern, and give myself an opportunity to hit him. Definitely the most original 2D boss in a long time

Last edited:

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
I guess in case we still have to use these :\...

Didn't quite notice the first time, but after playing and seeing the ending again, recently took note of how the wondering Hornoad was gnawing on what appeared to be a mechanical claw Ridley discarded after his fight, before the Hornoad got possessed by the X, so Ridley likely did away with his remaining cybernetics, being healed enough to not need them anymore or whatever reason, further tying into Super Metroid where he's fully organic again. Also worth noting how it all helps connect 2D Metroid with the Prime series.

Now, if he's to appear again in Prime 4 or anything before Samus Returns, there's definitely creative room for more forms that serve as cybernetic byproducts of Meta-Ridley, even if Meta isn't necessarily used again, but it is a staple for the Prime sub-series, so we'll have to see.

Also, looking back, I think it can pretty much be concluded now that this was in fact, you know who in the background... Clever subtle foreshadowing it was.

Last edited:

IronTed

Smash Ace
I guess in case we still have to use these :\...

Didn't quite notice the first time, but after playing and seeing the ending again, recently took note of how the wondering Hornoad was gnawing on what appeared to be a mechanical claw Ridley discarded after his fight, before the Hornoad got possessed by the X, so Ridley likely did away with his remaining cybernetics, being healed enough to not need them anymore or whatever reason, further tying into Super Metroid where he's fully organic again. Also worth noting how it all helps connect 2D Metroid with the Prime series.

Now, if he's to appear again in Prime 4 or anything before Samus Returns, there's definitely creative room for more forms that serve as cybernetic byproducts of Meta-Ridley, even if Meta isn't necessarily used again, but it is a staple for the Prime sub-series, so we'll have to see.

Also, looking back, I think it can pretty much be concluded now that this was in fact, you know who in the background... Clever subtle foreshadowing it was.

I was somewhat confused by the fact those are red eyes (Ridley's are yellow), but Ridley was the only logical choice.

Yeah, the fact he left his hand there also implies his regeneration is far more effective than previously thought. And I even heard an interesting theory that explains his first fight in Super. He's vulnerable to the power beam, despite a fully stacked shot not harming him during the second fight. If he was just defeated by Samus hours earlier, and lost his cybernetic implants, than his skin would likely be softer than usual, making him more vulnerable than usual. But after returning to Zebes, he would have likely reveived proper medical attention.

That, or game mechanics. Probably game mechanics, but it's interesting nonetheless.

Top Bottom