• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Sonic Boards Community Guide (Reformat) - General/Moveset

JMan8891

Halfrican-American
Maybe this is just 08/09 tourny knowledge at play, but I can't recall a tournament where HA stall wasn't banned. By defintion, some characters cannot punish you and recover right? So say your up 2 stocks, HA stall at 180%+ ftw...

Question since I don't own Brawl or a wii anymore: HA stall only works because technically, sonic is attempting to aim at the character, so he always shoots up towards, you get the bounce, rinse, and repeat. Can't they either jump high enough away or spotdoge and throw off the homing, and Sonic home down instead of up?

And infinites should be banned past a certain point due to making the game unplayable. If im down a stock to ICs and get grabbed and infinited the rest of the timer for the match, I'd probably take a swing, lol

:phone:

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
no. everyone thinks that and its wrong.

the homing stall works because when sonic rises, part of his body goes into the stage. and than when it releases (since it has a hit box whether it locks on or not.) his entire body (which at this point is half way inside of the stage) becomes a hitbox instantly. and since his body becomes a hitbox and is already touching the stage, it instantly hits the stage because his body is touching the stage while having an active hitbox, bounces up and into the stage that is already above him.

all the lock on does is make it harder to control which direction he bounces horizontally. which ends up making it more difficult to make it bounce in such a way for you to get back on stage.

Life

Smash Hero
Stalling: the act of intentionally making the game unplayable.

I think it's ultimately matchup dependent. Oli's not touching that, but MK will just kinda laugh.

JMan8891

Halfrican-American
Thanks KID. I figured for certain match ups, it is unplayable. Even IF they hit you, you can still tech, and continue to stall. And many characters cannot hit you and still recover safely

:phone:

True Blue

Smash Lord
Sorry wanted to throw this in here cause it has happened to me. And I saw it was being talked about.

Homing Attack is not a viable stall cause you're opponent can **** it up pretty easily. I played GDX in tournament and accidentally fell under the stage and had to homing attack to survive but then GDX perfectly timed a spot dodge and caused me to go straight down. SO, homing attack is not that god like to stall under the stage and shouldn't be considered stalling when a simple spot dodge can wreck Sonic's day.

True Blue

Smash Lord
How so? All you do is press B when you are close to the bottom of the stage and have you're ball going into the stage. I know that if you Homing Attack regularly and you were targeted onto a character and they spot or air dodge, you do the default hit and go straight down. Why would that situation not apply while underneath the stage?

True Blue

Smash Lord
Yea I saw that but it just didn't click in my head because that is not what happened to me when I was sent spiraling down in that one game. Either way I am just saying that being under the stage like that is not safe at all...

Sonic Meaper

Smash Cadet
NNID
None
3DS FC
2294-7045-5918
Switch FC
8435-0200-1637
Hello guys can you help me on how to do b reversed instant spin dash. I found out how to do it on 3ds but i cant do it correctly...I was able to do it like 1 out of 30 times. What i did was run > spin dash > quickly turn the opposite way you're facing in spin dash > attack or jump. I can't do it correctly because its time is much stricter than spin shot and normal instant spin dash. I often run and did VJSD many times..maybe my timing was slow? or too fast? I need to know b reversed instant spin dash frame data. Remember this is for 3ds not WIIU i just figured out how to do this one today

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Hello guys can you help me on how to do b reversed instant spin dash. I found out how to do it on 3ds but i cant do it correctly...I was able to do it like 1 out of 30 times. What i did was run > spin dash > quickly turn the opposite way you're facing in spin dash > attack or jump. I can't do it correctly because its time is much stricter than spin shot and normal instant spin dash. I often run and did VJSD many times..maybe my timing was slow? or too fast? I need to know b reversed instant spin dash frame data. Remember this is for 3ds not WIIU i just figured out how to do this one today
This is the Brawl forum.

My Wii U/3DS Guide should be able to help you.

I also have a video that covers the Instant Spin Dash Jump.

:093:

Top Bottom