• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Son of Dracula Awakens for Battle as an Assist Trophy (for now): Alucard Support Thread

PK-remling Fire

Smash Ace
This thread is to give support for Alucard from the Castlevania series.
223b9b4ba606779b42bdebecc91e1b73.jpg

What is Castlevania?
Castlevania is an iconic gothic horror game series that debuted in 1986. It follows the adventures of the Belmonts, a clan of vampire hunters that span for many generations, and their never-ending battle with Dracula who revives every 100 years to bring darkness across the world. They are well known for emphasizing both side-scrolling action and exploration, and have even inspired a whole subgenre of games, aptly titled "metroidvania."

Who is Alucard?
Alucard is the half-vampire son of Dracula who debuted in Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse as one of the four main playable characters, with the others being Trevor Belmont, Sypha Belnades, and Grant Danasty. Unlike his father, Alucard valued humanity due to the influence of his human mother, and used his vampire powers to aid Trevor Belmont in killing Dracula. However, he is most famous for his role in Castlevania: Symphony of the Night, where he takes the position of main playable character when Dracula's castle mysteriously resurrects and a Belmont doesn't arise to investigate. He holds the honor of being the first non-Belmont to be the main player character in a Castlevania title.

We already have two Castlevania characters. What does Alucard bring to the table?
Unlike Simon and Richter, Alucard isn't known for brandishing a whip into battle. Instead, he uses both his mother's sword and his wide plethora of dark powers, which reflect his vampiric nature. His powers include shapeshifting, floating, summoning fireballs, and demon summoning. He is also one of the most popular Castlevania characters, often considered a fan favorite, so his inclusion would likely have a very positive reception.

But isn't Alucard already an Assist Trophy? How can he be playable?
First thing's first, assist trophies deconfirming characters is a fan-made rule. We've seen characters ascend from assists before, and even though we've never seen an assist upgrade to a character in the same game before, it doesn't mean that it's completely impossible. And even if that's too far-fetched to actually happen, there's always hope for Smash 6, where if we wanted a character in, now would be a good time to garner support and make a case for them. Nintendo might already be on the lookout for what fans are asking for right now, so it's good to make our voices heard sooner rather than later.

636693358924427952-SSBU-Richter-Alucard.jpg

Potential Moveset:
Neutral Special: Hellfire
Alucard opens his cape and summons three fire ball projectiles which move out in a cone. They disappear after traveling a short distance, deal low knock-back, and deal low damage.

Side Special: Wolf Transformation
Alucard transforms into a wolf and dashes forward at a fast pace. If Alucard hits an enemy, he command-grabs onto them and bites them once before leaping off of them at an upward angle and transforming back. The bite deals moderate damage and jumping off of the enemy does slight damage and has decent knockback.

Up Special: Bat Transformation
Alucard transforms into a bat and dashes in the direction of the player's choosing. It works like Ridley and Fox's up special and Alucard will damage to any enemy he goes through.

Down Special: Sword Familiar
Alucard summons a sword which travels forward on a slight upward arc. If it doesn't hit anything, it arcs back, homing towards Alucard where it will disappear. If it hits an enemy, it'll go through them dealing mild damage and arc around, homing in on them for a second hit. The sword will home in on the enemy for a couple seconds before heading back toward Alucard. Hitting terrain or another projectile will cause the sword to disappear. Alucard cannot use his down special if his sword is already active.

Other Potential Gameplay Quirks:
Alucard could have a floating mechanic similar to Peach, his air dodge could be his mist form, and his roll could be his sidestep from SotN.

118_2.jpg

Pros and Cons of Alucard:

Pros:
-Konami has opened the door for Castlevania reps in Smash Bros
-Fan favorite character
-Great moveset potential
-Many of his assets are already made

Cons:
-Already an Assist Trophy
-Konami might not be on board for a third Castlevania rep

PK-remling Fire
Idon
Flyboy
SvartWolf
Shishœ
StormC
Speed Weed
GoodGrief741
SharkLord

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Being a assist trophy is more than just a con its a deconfirmer

PK-remling Fire

Smash Ace
I made this thread moreso for the possibility of something unexpected happening to assist trophies. After all, a lot of ATs in 4 got no support during the smash ballot because people thought they had a 0% chance of getting in, when in fact the ballot was most likely used for Ultimate. In that regard I think it's better to just make your support for characters be heard anyway, whether or not they're deconfirmed for now.

Shenron 97

Smash Rookie
If there is going to be another Castlevania rep, Alucard is the logical choice. I'm definitely for him being in smash, but unfortunately it will be in a later installment.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Alucard is the most popular protagonist from the post popular Castlevania.
If, and unfortunately it's a very big if, Castlevania were to receive a second unique rep, it would bar none, be Alucard.

You might not have a high likelihood, but you've got my support.

There better be one alt where they give him black hair like Arikado though

PK-remling Fire

Smash Ace
I could imagine if he were in, he'd probably have alts that reference Arikado, Dracula, and maybe Soma.

but I for one know the best color scheme reference they could make:
hqdefault.jpg

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Alucard is my boy. SotN is my favorite Metroidvanias Castlevania and is the logical second choice for a unique Castlevania rep. I love Soma and Shanoa almost as much, of course, but I fully support Alucard.

I'm glad he's an assist trophy. I don't see there being an upgrade DLC or anything but I wouldn't say no if there was. Of course with Richter and Simon I'm totally cool with the rep for the series we have now but at the same time I'm such a huge series fan that I'm always on board with new content.

Also, an Arikado alt would be great. Maybe a Soma one too.

Big support!

Last edited:

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
obviously this sin't happening right now, but i'm super happy he is in the game as an assist!

Still, while very unlikely .. i don't think is 100% impossible since yeah... he is pretty iconic. he certainly would fit.

if in the future an assist to DLC poll happen, i'm pretty sure i would end burning my vote on him, even if it means not voting on shovel knight, bomberman, ashley or Lyn (love those guys)

(Btw i'm pretty sure there was already an alucard support thread... but i guess this one is more active)

PK-remling Fire

Smash Ace
I checked the catalog and I didn't see another Alucard support thread, so I'll keep this one on unless a mod shuts it down.

but yeah, even with how unlikely the potential for an assist upgrade is, it doesn't hurt to give support and discuss the character. I'm still pretty happy that he got in as an assist (and that he's considered by Sakurai to be one of the strongest/hardest to defeat). But if an "assist to DLC poll" or Smash ballot 2.0 ever happens in the future, I know who I'm voting for.

Dreamking

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DreamWanderer92
3DS FC
0817-5074-8674
Switch FC
6827-7951-1977
If he wasn't an Assist and there was no such things as Echoes, I believe Alucard would be in over Richter. He made three appearances within the original timeline and two appearances in his Lords of Shadow incarnation.

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
If he wasn't an Assist and there was no such things as Echoes, I believe Alucard would be in over Richter. He made three appearances within the original timeline and two appearances in his Lords of Shadow incarnation.
nah, echoes don't work that way. if echoes weren't a thing we would have Simon alone.

but yeah, noone have denied than Alucard is an important character.

I mean.. he is important enough to be THE Castlevania assist. Castlevania isn't short of great characters that would made amazing assist trophies. but is hard to visualize anyone taking precedence over Alucard.

Plus ive got the feeling that sakurai is secretly a huge Rondo of Blood and Symphony of the night nerd. i'm kinda more convinced that we didn't have castlevania on brawl due to, snake and sonic priority, and we didnt have it on 4 due to the konami meltdown saga.

I mean.. during the spirits presentation he choose to play as richter, have already upgraded the alucard assist to 99 (was teh only one) and showed spirits evolutions with maria renard spirit.

BTW add me to the supporters if that counts for anything :v

PK-remling Fire

Smash Ace
yeah, if Sakurai puts in another Castlevania rep in a hypothetical Smash 6, I'd put big money on it being Alucard. I also had that suspicion about Sakurai being a Castlevania fan since he gave it a ton of love in Smash Ultimate. He also snuck in some pretty obscure references (Kid Dracula anyone?).

I do hope that the love Castlevania's been getting recently is a sign of things to come. I'd kill for a Rondo of Blood/Symphony of the Night switch port.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
I really feel like Castlevania's presence is because the team, like myself, felt it was a long time coming. Like, I'm almost certain if the Konami meltdown hadn't happened we'd have seen Simon in 4. The amount of Castlevania in Ultimate is really just "What if Castlevania had been in this series all along?"

PK-remling Fire

Smash Ace
Here's some sort-of big news about Alucard in Smash Ultimate. I'm adding spoilers because it's technically a datamined leak:
According to datamined scripts, Alucard makes an appearance and talks with Pit and Palutena during Richter's "Palutena's Guidance" segment, much like how Chrom appears in Robin's script.
pretty cool if true

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
The ending of Richter's Palutena Guidance (with Palutena asking if Alucard will be fighting) really makes me think Alucard has a high chance for the next Smash game (or DLC if they decide to promote AT's to fighters). Reminds me of Pit's Melee trophy description ("will Pit ever fight again?") and Chrom's appearance in Robin's Palutena Guidance.

If we were to ever get another Castlevania rep then it'd probably be Alucard.

PK-remling Fire

Smash Ace
I was thinking the exact same thing. It would be mindblowing if Alucard pulled a Chrom and became playable in the next game. Not to mention that him appearing in Palutena's Guidance might even increase fan demand to some extent, just like how Chrom got memed after Robin's trailer and Palutena segment in 4.

Even though he's deconfirmed for now, Alucard's chances are looking stronger than most in the long term. And frankly I'd rather have it that way than him having a small possibility of being playable now but nothing else going for him.

Xphooni

Smash Apprentice
Man more konami reps would be nice. I love how smash has expanded from a nintendo allstar title to including some of the other great classic game companies.

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
Man more konami reps would be nice. I love how smash has expanded from a nintendo allstar title to including some of the other great classic game companies.
*sits in the corner rooting for Bomberman*

Of course, there will always be those with a different opinion, like GoeGoe GoeGoe ...

GoeGoe

Smash Lord
*sits in the corner rooting for Bomberman*

Of course, there will always be those with a different opinion, like GoeGoe GoeGoe ...
I actually wanted Bomberman in as playable, alas AT he was. It's great at least Hudson got a foot in, that's a plus. Not the way I wished it but a plus.
I do however and of course wish for Goemon first. So since Bomberman is already in, why not root for Goemon now? :)

Last edited:

Xphooni

Smash Apprentice
I actually wanted Bomberman in as playable, alas AT he was. It's great at least Hudson got a foot in, that's a plus. Not the way I wished it but a plus.
I do however and of course wish for Goemon first. So since Bomberman is already in, why not root for Goemon now? :)
Bomber man would be really cool in smash. Theres always next game.

GoeGoe

Smash Lord
Bomber man would be really cool in smash. Theres always next game.
Thanks, he would. I always wondered though, what would his Final Smash be? personally, a giant bomb that blows all. Almost like Rosalina's FS, but with bigger bang like Incenirora's FS. For now though, I'm wishing for Goemon, the best characater gaming ever had :)

Xphooni

Smash Apprentice
Yeah .
Thanks, he would. I always wondered though, what would his Final Smash be? personally, a giant bomb that blows all. Almost like Rosalina's FS, but with bigger bang like Incenirora's FS. For now though, I'm wishing for Goemon, the best characater gaming ever had :)
That final smash seems like the only thing it really could be.

GoeGoe

Smash Lord
Yeah .

That final smash seems like the only thing it really could be.
You know, when I first replied here, summoned by Luigifan18 Luigifan18 's spell. I thought I was at the main public thread. I was shocked to see no one was here beside me.. I thought, what? suddenly everyone quit the thread for some reason!? am I missing something here?.. Just to realize I'm on a different thread :p
pheww. So you guys want Alucard in. Too early don't ya think? Well if it was for me those 5 spots would be mostly Konami. Konami has a richer history than Nintendo.. unfortunately since they've been giving zero love to most their IPs except MG and Castelvania, that's a real hard wish.

You know, for you Castlevania fans, there's one thing that hasn't been spoiled yet.. no one seems to have seen Dracula Kid yet. My favorite Castlevania charcater (then it's Simon). Was his music piece Hail From The Past? or is that from another CV title?

Btw, here's another one for ya, there was also a music piece for a charcater not from CV series, did any of you figure who that was? he he hee..
I don't know if this was Konami or Nintendo, but it certainly was a nice "hidden" touch. WE GOT ANOTHER KONAMI REP BOYS XD (by spirit :p)

Xphooni

Smash Apprentice
You know, when I first replied here, summoned by Luigifan18 Luigifan18 's spell. I thought I was at the main public thread. I was shocked to see no one was here beside me.. I thought, what? suddenly everyone quit the thread for some reason!? am I missing something here?.. Just to realize I'm on a different thread :p
pheww. So you guys want Alucard in. Too early don't ya think? Well if it was for me those 5 spots would be mostly Konami. Konami has a richer history than Nintendo.. unfortunately since they've been giving zero love to most their IPs except MG and Castelvania, that's a real hard wish.

You know, for you Castlevania fans, there's one thing that hasn't been spoiled yet.. no one seems to have seen Dracula Kid yet. My favorite Castlevania charcater (then it's Simon). Was his music piece Hail From The Past? or is that from another CV title?

Btw, here's another one for ya, there was also a music piece for a charcater not from CV series, did any of you figure who that was? he he hee..
I don't know if this was Konami or Nintendo, but it certainly was a nice "hidden" touch. WE GOT ANOTHER KONAMI REP BOYS XD (by spirit :p)
Really what character? I must have missed that.

GoeGoe

Smash Lord
Really what character? I must have missed that.
Just his famous music. Won't answer it that easy, let's tease a bit with this puzzle. I'll give a hint. That track was an original, it was in CV: Harmony of Despair. Come on guys, I can't know Castlevania better than you :grin:

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Just his famous music. Won't answer it that easy, let's tease a bit with this puzzle. I'll give a hint. That track was an original, it was in CV: Harmony of Despair. Come on guys, I can't know Castlevania better than you :grin:
Go! Getsu Fuma!

Xphooni

Smash Apprentice
I'll take that as an naswer. So yes, but his name however is just, Fuma.
I'd be surprised if he was in game it's just a fun reference to a Japan exclusive title that konami likes to throw into other games.

GoeGoe

Smash Lord
I'd be surprised if he was in game it's just a fun reference to a Japan exclusive title that konami likes to throw into other games.
I know he's not in, I said just in spirit :p It's a nice touch nevertheless. Yeah, Konami does that a lot, which I really appreciate and love.

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
. Come on guys, I can't know Castlevania better than you :grin:

(ive wanted to use this gif for almost a week now)

was Getsu fuma related to the Castlevania developing team in any way? i usually see them being connected.

Anyway... i want alucard in smash as playable... but i wouldn't mind getting beat by bomberman or even goemon (ive only played the 64 game, but it was enough to give me ton of nostalgia... i really was waiting for it on Virtual console :c )

Personally i don't know if i wantr a Contra character though (even if i also got tons of nostalgia with contra) as i really don'tr see them working too well on smash :s (maybe an item? a spread gun or a laser gun? :D also stage and music would be DOPE)

That being said, Alucard have a fanbase, probably as big as bomberman.. but is nopt exactly related to smash. I think that if that fanbase starts campaign for alucard in smash, alucard may have a chance in a second or third wave DLC as we would give sakurai an excuse to put the guy in XD

PK-remling Fire

Smash Ace
Yeah, Bomberman's also a worthy contender. I've never played his games before but I've seen a ton of support for him along with Knuckles, Shadow, Isaac, and Shovel Knight. Even though Alucard is the main AT upgrade I'd like, those guys would be pretty awesome to see as playable too.

On another note, I hope that Castlevania's involvement with Smash Bros will to some extent rile up the Castlevania fandom to be more involved with discussions and speculation related to smash bros. Going from having no representation at all to having two characters, one stage, one boss, one assist trophy, and a bunch of music tracks is definitely something worth talking about.

GoeGoe

Smash Lord
(ive wanted to use this gif for almost a week now)

was Getsu fuma related to the Castlevania developing team in any way? i usually see them being connected.

Anyway... i want alucard in smash as playable... but i wouldn't mind getting beat by bomberman or even goemon (ive only played the 64 game, but it was enough to give me ton of nostalgia... i really was waiting for it on Virtual console :c )

Personally i don't know if i wantr a Contra character though (even if i also got tons of nostalgia with contra) as i really don'tr see them working too well on smash :s (maybe an item? a spread gun or a laser gun? :D also stage and music would be DOPE)

That being said, Alucard have a fanbase, probably as big as bomberman.. but is nopt exactly related to smash. I think that if that fanbase starts campaign for alucard in smash, alucard may have a chance in a second or third wave DLC as we would give sakurai an excuse to put the guy in XD
Glad to be of help (emptying your gif urges).
I'm not sure if the Getsu Fuma dev team were the same, it's a probability. The game does take from two Konami titles, Castlevania and Goonies.
That line *sniff*.. thank you. The 64 games are totally enough as they were two of the best. I was waiting for it on 64mini.. sigh.. then Reggie jumped and said no.. darn. Not sure even if they made they'll look into The Mystical Ninja. Their loss.. and mine XD
Personally I don't think any charcater with guns would work. So then why not Goemon? Seriously, there's no better fitting charcater than Goemon. It's puzzling that he's not in Smash yet... sigh.
You can start campaigning, but seriously, not for this game. I don't think any amount of DLC waves would upgrade an AT to playable. At least this round.

Yeah, Bomberman's also a worthy contender. I've never played his games before but I've seen a ton of support for him along with Knuckles, Shadow, Isaac, and Shovel Knight. Even though Alucard is the main AT upgrade I'd like, those guys would be pretty awesome to see as playable too.
And you haven't noticed any Goemon/Mystical ninja support?... siiiigh. We really worked hard.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Count me in as a supporter.
I just finished Netflix's Castlevania so it made me wonder how well would a moveset centered around his floating sword work. Because he sure as hell wouldn't be using the Crissaegrim like his AT, so he'd likely be using a sword and that'd be a cool way to differentiate him from other swordfighters.
also, as an unique trait, his back roll should never stale

Last edited by a moderator:

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
Guys, Bomberman and Goemon have their own support threads!! I didn't mean to sidetrack this one!!

Last edited:

3DSNinja

Smash Lord
Bump because Symphony of the Night is free this month for Xbox Live Gold! so i can finally play it without emulator which is a pain in the ass!

Top Bottom