• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Solid Snake for Smash DLC thread! Such a lust for Smash news....WHOOOOOOOO?

κomıc

Highly Offensive
NNID
komicturtle
Since when was that a prerequisite for a third party to get in though? It wasnt, and for all we know sakurai might just bring in third parties that have the biggest clout among gaming series and history. Snake, sonic, and megaman all have that going for them, its not about who has the biggest allegiance and pays their dues and nor should it be if they are fun to play as and are important to gaming.

Since when? Since Sakurai said "Third party characters must have had at least one game on a Nintendo console".

Also, the fact that Kojima and Sakurai are apparently good friends is one reason why Snake had appeared in Brawl (among the begging and now the story switching to Kojima's son wanting Snake in a Smash Bros. game).

I don't see a point in Snake coming back if there aren't going to be any MGS games coming to Nintendo's consoles. You can sit there and question that logic, but when there are other more deserving 3rd party characters, I don't think Snake deserves a spot in Smash 4 over someone like Bomberman, Pacman, Lloyd or Simon Belmont.

Like I said, nothing against the character himself. And it seems like a lot of people only use Snake because he was one of the better characters in Brawl. Not saying that's the reason why you use him, but that's what I've observed.

HylianHeroBigBoss

Smash Lord
NNID
HylianHeroSnake
Since when? Since Sakurai said "Third party characters must have had at least one game on a Nintendo console".

Also, the fact that Kojima and Sakurai are apparently good friends is one reason why Snake had appeared in Brawl (among the begging and now the story switching to Kojima's son wanting Snake in a Smash Bros. game).

I don't see a point in Snake coming back if there aren't going to be any MGS games coming to Nintendo's consoles. You can sit there and question that logic, but when there are other more deserving 3rd party characters, I don't think Snake deserves a spot in Smash 4 over someone like Bomberman, Pacman, Lloyd or Simon Belmont..

He has been on a nintendo console though, so even then he meets that criteria. He had mgs3d on the 3DS last year too, but even then sakurai has control over this game and i doubt hes going to base his choices on if each character is going to provide nintendo with a number of titles in the future, hell megaman cant do that right now. You can only say those characters are more deserving based on criteria you and others have come up with, it doesnt make it fact or the basis sakurai will use. As far as konami is concerned snake is their biggest character (just look at what they have had at the last few e3's, just metal gear, castlevania, and their soccer games) and he would definitely get priority over any other, especially since hes already been in brawl. Id love simon belmont, but i doubt he would get in, and bomberman seems to have been brushed under the rug by konami so i doubt they would send him over either.

I understand its not anything personal against the character on yours and others part by saying that, but people always stack things against snake without any possible basis other than factors they and others seem to believe matter when we have no clue if they actually would, especially since sakurai seems to go against the higher ups in certain choices anyway.

κomıc

Highly Offensive
NNID
komicturtle
He has been on a nintendo console though, so even then he meets that criteria. He had mgs3d on the 3DS last year too, but even then sakurai has control over this game and i doubt hes going to base his choices on if each character is going to provide nintendo with a number of titles in the future, hell megaman cant do that right now. You can only say those characters are more deserving based on criteria you and others have come up with, it doesnt make it fact or the basis sakurai will use. As far as konami is concerned snake is their biggest character (just look at what they have had at the last few e3's, just metal gear, castlevania, and their soccer games) and he would definitely get priority over any other, especially since hes already been in brawl. Id love simon belmont, but i doubt he would get in, and bomberman seems to have been brushed under the rug by konami so i doubt they would send him over either.

I understand its not anything personal against the character on yours and others part by saying that, but people always stack things against snake without any possible basis other than factors they and others seem to believe matter when we have no clue if they actually would, especially since sakurai seems to go against the higher ups in certain choices anyway.

Same can be said to those not providing a good reason to keep Snake besides "I like him" or "He's a good character". One problem you do bring up is Konami. It's up to them whether they want to license Snake for Smash 4, not Sakurai's. Judging solely on Sakurai's statements, it does look like if there are characters up for the chopping block, I can almost guarantee Snake would be one of them (even though I don't believe his recent statement about starting from scratch when last year, he said they'd be importing Brawl's core assets and start from there).

As for MGS3D on 3DS, you kinda have a point. I would have liked to see more than that and had hoped Kojima would bring original MGS games to 3DS and subsquently Wii U and not sloppy seconds. And as I said before, judging on how Kojima seems to not even want to bother with Wii U and say "If I were to make a game for that platform, it would need to be something totally different"

There's a bunch of MGS who own Nintendo's consoles that would love to have MGSV on Wii U. And I really have to wonder what that debug-Miiverse menu was referring to when listing Metal Gear Solid as one of the games. Yoshi Wii U turned out to happen, so did Soul Hackers (albeit on 3DS) among other games too. Maybe there is a MGS in development for Wii U or maybe Phantom Pain will make it- who knows.

I would love to see all the characters back, but I'm doubting Snake will make it. Guess we won't know until the game nears release.

(and please fix that ridiculous hitbox).

Sakurai never said that. People just turned assumption into word of GodSakurai.
I distinctly remember in an interview by IGN or Gamespot where Sakurai did say that in regards to someone like Naruto or Goku (or any other non-video game character) being in Brawl as well as any other 3rd party character. It's not an assumption when it's readily available with a Google search.

HylianHeroBigBoss

Smash Lord
NNID
HylianHeroSnake
Definitely agree on the part about having some metal gears on the WiiU, nintendo would be smart to go into some kind of negotiations for it. Even just the legacy collection on the wiiu would be excellent, and definitely possible. I was hoping the debug menu on miiverse lead to something, but i guess i didnt (yet). But i do see where your coming from in that sense, and even though i want snake back for sure, i wont deny that the possibility that he might not. The only thing i want is for people to treat him and sonic in the same way, both are in the same situation, and no amount of games will ensure one over the other as of right now, they are both guests who i assume sakurai will respect in the same way by either bringing them back, or changing them out for new ones.

bobadz

Smash Ace
I have yet to see a good reason for him to be cut, unless kojima says no.

BaPr

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1091-9057-0681
Every time I read "Snake", I have horrible memories of fighting that guy. It was just a bunch of explosives I never knew he put, and a lot of "hey, where did that grenade come from?" I wouldn't be surprised if he didn't make it, but it would still be fun to have him in.

Phan7om

ドリームランドの悪夢
I hope he makes it back so my Kirby can use grenades.:smirk:

I actually can see him coming back since it made him more well known when he joined Brawl, and I could go through tons of changes I would make to him but here are the basics.
  • Nerfed Jab
  • Nerfed F-Tilt
  • Lighter Weight (I dont know why he was 3rd heaviest)
  • Slightly Nerfed U-Tilt (Kill about 5-10% later/slower startup)
  • Smaller Hitboxes

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
I hope he returns, he was a good character

ALSO:

please metal gear solid v on wii u, please!

Tetra's Tracker

Smash Journeyman
I used to be very against Snake returning, but recently I've greatly warmed to him.

Super Smash Bros. is for celebrating Nintendo history, so Snake, whose series has had very little presence on Nintendo consoles, was certainly a questionable addition to Brawl's roster. For better or worse however, Snake was put in Brawl. While Snake and Metal Gear still aren't Nintendo icons and probably never will be, I think Snake's addition in Brawl has made him a Smash icon. It's not just him being in Brawl that made him that, it was the way he was introduced - nobody who was around for Brawl's brilliantly crafted first trailer will ever forget thinking the trailer was over before being stunned as Snake showed up. There's also the immense permutations that had for the series - Snake made us properly think about having third-party characters for the first time and to accept them, it's possible without him there would never have been any third-party characters in Brawl and maybe not even in SSB4 (whether that's a good thing or bad is up to you). I could be argued that Snake being put in the Brawl was one of the most important events in SSB history.

I've argued in the past that Jigglypuff shouldn't be cut, her making way for a more relevant Pokemon is a valid argument, but she's a Smash icon now so cutting her would be a great shame. It's the same with Snake - him making way for a more Nintendo associated third-party character is a valid argument, but he's become iconic to the Smash series so cutting him would be a shame.

Another reason why it'd be a shame to cut him is because moveset-wise he's excellent. His moveset is one of the most unique and original in the series, he gives the player a completely different way of playing that they couldn't with any other character. I had a play about with him in Brawl earlier today, the first time I've really tried using him, and had a blast, he's just extremely fun to play as. Characters that are a bit different is something we need in the game, it adds a lot of variety, something all fighting games should have.

I didn't think I'd ever say this, but I really hope Snake is kept.

κomıc

Highly Offensive
NNID
komicturtle
Do I hope he gets cut- no. Then again, I really don't care. A lot of people only used him because of his broken movesets and campiness rather than genuinely caring or liking the games he originated from (I call them bandwagon hoppers). It really comes down to Nintendo's willingness to license Snake or the MGS property for Smash Bros. from Konami. Would they license Sonic who's more relevant to Nintendo and their history? Or Snake, who's seldom had games appear on Nintendo's consoles? That third deal Nintendo made with SEGA has yet to be revealed when they announced Sonic Lost World and Mario&Sonic Sochi Games. I can almost guarantee Sonic returns. Not so much for Snake.

Now, on the other hand, back in November, some dude got into the debug of Miiverse. In the listing of games, it showed several titles that, frankly, turned out to be real games (Yoshi Wii U, Resident Evil, Soul Hackers, etc) and one of the games listed happens to be Metal Gear Solid. So, either that was just a place holder or Kojima/Konami are working on an undisclosed MGS title for the Wii U. How that cuts in to Smash Bros- hell, it may not. But I can say that I don't think Snake has a chance of returning based on Kojima's attitude towards the Wii U or even Konami who is very mum on support for the console, vs SEGA and Capcom that have been very supportive of the 3DS and Wii U.

If Snake does make it back, I just hope his standard movesets are more realistic and true to the character. That u-tilt is utterly ridiculous and the hitboxes are really questionable. Those are my only real gripes with him. Otherwise, he was a solid addition and like someone said before me, was a unique and admittedly fun character to use. I found him helluva easy to pick up and understand too... Which is probably another reason why people used him.

Tetra's Tracker

Smash Journeyman
I get a feeling if Snake doesn't make it it won't be Sakurai's decision, rather it'd be Nintendo executives for marketing reasons. Sakurai has always spoken highly of Snake and his addition to the game and was seemed very keen to get him in. Also take into account his relationship with Kojima and the positive reception Snake got from fans, I can't see Sakurai wanting to remove Snake.

Kapus

Smash Ace
NNID
Kaplus4
3DS FC
3626-0411-0921
The main reason why I want Snake to return is because of his codecs. Those were really entertaining in Brawl and I'd love to see his comments on new characters.

He doesn't really fit into Smash Bros that well, but in a way that's what makes it fun. He's a grumpy bear in a series of colorful, zany characters.

SonicMario

Smash Master
Sonic's back. Meaning the rule about guests returning has been disproving. Increasing Snake's chances a decent amount I think.

Honestly I'm hoping he's back. If it's between him and Pac-Man. I'd rather have Snake back. He's the very reason Sonic got a chance to be a Smash Bros. Veteran.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I don't think Solid Snake will be coming back again, especially when you realize that he's literally a needle in a haystack in the Smash Bros. series. Not once has Solid Snake been involved with any Mario media, which is the case with Mega Man, Sonic, and even Pac-Man.

HylianHeroBigBoss

Smash Lord
NNID
HylianHeroSnake
I don't think Solid Snake will be coming back again, especially when you realize that he's literally a needle in a haystack in the Smash Bros. series.
Meaning he blended in so well it worked with the others and it was hard to notice? Noted glad you agree

Not once has Solid Snake been involved with any Mario media, which is the case with Mega Man, Sonic, and even Pac-Man.

Their series dont mesh in a way that would be possible for either of them to work together, but them not being together means nothing since as icons they both are well worth the fame their series have. Not to mention the mario trophies in twin snakes, and yoshi ones in mgs 3d

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
I don't think Solid Snake will be coming back again, especially when you realize that he's literally a needle in a haystack in the Smash Bros. series. Not once has Solid Snake been involved with any Mario media, which is the case with Mega Man, Sonic, and even Pac-Man.
Ehem, I think you mean Nintendo media. Having been involved with Mario is in no way a necessity to gain access to Super Smash Bros at all, he just needs to have been involved with Nintendo, which he has been. Mario is just one series in Smash Bros, being treated on equal ground as Zelda and Pokémon.

Snake was such a good character exactly because he was the odd one out. Like Kapus put it, he's the serious guy in the midst of a bunch of colorful and bright characters. His codecs really put emphasis on how he was facing enemies that he wouldn't even have imagined before, and how incredibly odd he found it. I think exactly because of that he gained some kind of humor to his character, which helped him feel a bit more natural. I never minded how different he is compared to the rest of the cast, if anything it shows just how broad Smash Bros is.

D

Deleted member

Mario media has been in Metal Gear games, though.

Twin Snakes had a Mario and Yoshi figure that you can shoot to regain health (the Mario one only; the Yoshi one does nothing but shout his name).
Snake Eater 3D replaced the Kerotans with Yoshis, and the GA-KO Camo was replaced with the Fruit Camo to reflect this change.

MSmariosonic

Smash Hero
NNID
kidtendo1996
3DS FC
3566-1932-7732
Switch FC
SW 0383 4539 4118
Let's just hope that the rumor about MGSV on Wii U is true...which will even further increase the chances of Solid Snake returning. He was by far my favorite newcomer in Brawl(alongside Sonic the Hedgehog). He is too unique to be cut.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
What's the release date of MGSV BTW?

I_hate_usernames

Smash Ace
So is it actually snake in MGS:V?

Man the MGS is so unnecessarily concluded and confusing I never understand what happens in them...

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
It's rather annoying when people try to use the "Snake isn't very related to Nintendo, most of his games are on Sony/M$ consoles" argument. If by most of his games you mean one or two more then sure, about half of his games have been on Nintendo consoles and half on others. I mean, it's not like Sonic was the mascot of a rivaling console's company or anyth-
oh wait.

Snake doesn't have any more association with Sony than he does Nintendo, he's a Konami character, Sonic is a Sega character, Mega Man is a Capcom character, and they've all had games on Nintendo systems and non-Nintendo systems (shocking, I know). We wouldn't be arguing the relevance of them being third party characters if they were all gung-ho Nintendo characters.

All we know is that Snake was in Brawl, Sakurai added him because Kojima requested it, Sonic is back so guest characters can return, neither Kojima or Sakurai have said anything about not wanting Snake back in. For all we know, Kojima might still want him in, and we know that Sakurai has no problems and thinks he fits in just fine. Snake may or may not make it back, but between both Toon Link and Sonic returning, and Sakurai's statements about no cuts being made so far, I have high hopes that we won't be seeing any losses this time around.

No Control

Smash Apprentice
Sakurai never said no cuts yet, he said no cuts yet on the 3DS version with respect to the roster of the Wii U version. That is far too often misquoted.

Anyway, I certainly hope Snake comes back, cos he's a great character. I'm only about 60% certain that he will, however.

HylianHeroBigBoss

Smash Lord
NNID
HylianHeroSnake
So is it actually snake in MGS:V?

Man the MGS is so unnecessarily concluded and confusing I never understand what happens in them...
Thats naked snake in MGS5, the man solid snake was cloned from. Its not as confusing once you play through the games, naked snake was basically the greatest soldier the world has ever known, so they wanted to clone him and use those clones.

MSmariosonic

Smash Hero
NNID
kidtendo1996
3DS FC
3566-1932-7732
Switch FC
SW 0383 4539 4118
It would be weird that only Sonic has his own SSB4 trailer...even tough he's a veteran..the only other character I can think of getting his own SSB4 trailer is Solid Snake. A hint maybe!?

Kapus

Smash Ace
NNID
Kaplus4
3DS FC
3626-0411-0921
I'm sure newcomers would also get reveal trailers. Sonic is a special case because he's a third party.

Kapus

Smash Ace
NNID
Kaplus4
3DS FC
3626-0411-0921
I know. I'm stating that Sonic, as a veteran, just got a trailer because he was a special case. I don't really see that as a hint of any kind.

stan423321

Smash Journeyman
Given SSB4 artstyle change, how do you imagine Snake looking like if he's in? His bleak clothes from SSBB would feel very out of place, wouldn't they?

SureNsync

Smash Journeyman
Given SSB4 artstyle change, how do you imagine Snake looking like if he's in? His bleak clothes from SSBB would feel very out of place, wouldn't they?
I just thought about that. They would.

I really can't see Snake returning without the Wii U version of the newest MGS title and if he does, it wouldn't be fair to Nintendo as well as other third party characters that may have Wii U or 3DS exclusives.

HylianHeroBigBoss

Smash Lord
NNID
HylianHeroSnake
I just thought about that. They would.

I really can't see Snake returning without the Wii U version of the newest MGS title and if he does, it wouldn't be fair to Nintendo as well as other third party characters that may have Wii U or 3DS exclusives.
Why does he have to have a new game for a nintendo system to coincide with this game? Everyone keeps acting like things must be owed or pledged to nintendo when really no third party can promise that as a business, capcom didnt promise a mega man game (yet people will still use the "hes been on nintendo since the beginning" which is what appears to be his loophole). And snakes clothes would look fine, if anything they could go with naked snakes sneaking suit which is shiny with gold accents, giving him less shading and a few other smoothing details wouldnt be hard to do, and if the smash dev team couldnt make him fit in id question their ability if they couldnt figure a way to make it work.

HarryTheChin

Smash Ace
Snake was in Brawl's E3 trailer. He was hype as he was the first 3rd party character to ever be introduced to Smash Bros.

Snake should be in along with those announced and maybe even Pac-Man(personal preference) :3

Mocha

Coffee Addict
In the land of princesses, frogs, and dragons
NNID
Mocha151
3DS FC
4640-0063-5592
So what if he is out of place? He's always been out of place, even in Brawl - the serious, most human-looking character among bright, happy, cartoony characters. His appearance in Smash 4 wouldn't be much different from that. After seeing Wii Fit Trainer being added, I believe anything is possible for Smash 4.

*Edit* I just realized someone else here said almost my exact words lol.

Top Bottom