• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Solid Snake for Smash DLC thread! Such a lust for Smash news....WHOOOOOOOO?

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826

"This is a once in a lifetime chance, Snake. Now get out there and show them what you're made of. No regrets."

-Roy Campbell, SSBB Snake Trailer

The prospect of DLC was still shrouded in mystery when Mewtwo was first revealed. Now, with the return of Brawl veteran Lucas, veteran DLC seems all the more likely. Here, we show why our sneaky and missed veteran Snake should return to the Smash lineup.

Remind me who Snake was, just in case.

Absolutely. Snake(and his Big Boss counterpart who shares the name) is the protagonist of(the majority of) the Metal Gear games, ranging from the classic Metal Gear on the NES to the mainstream Solid titles which were released on several platforms, but none more notable than the Sony PlayStation line.

As for his position in Super Smash Brothers, Snake joined the roster of Brawl as a request from Metal Gear director Hideo Kojima to Smash Bros. director Masahiro Sakurai. Kojima originally wanted Snake to be in Super Smash Brothers Melee on the Nintendo GameCube, but it was too far in development, and thus was later saved for Brawl, famously revealed to the utter shock of many at E3 2006, thus granting Snake the honor of being the first third-party character to join Smash.

Oh, that guy. Why should he come back?

Snake was one of the most well-received newcomers to Brawl, and one of the more sorely missed cuts from U/3DS. He had a very unique and fun moveset, high popularity in tournaments, and a fun Easter egg in the form of the codecs that can be triggered on his home stage, Shadow Moses Island. Needless to say, Snake had a lot going for him in Brawl, and to see him cut from the next game's roster is disappointing. But, with DLC now possible, the return of Lucas, another cut veteran, and the ongoing Smash Ballot, the living legend can be brought back to duel with Nintendo's All-Stars and his third-party brethren.

The guy has no history with Nintendo, though.

False. Snake has appeared in many games on Nintendo consoles. Here is a list:

Metal Gear - NES
Snake's Revenge - NES
Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake -MSX(but received a Virtual Console port)
Metal Gear: Ghost Babel - Game Boy Color
Metal Gear Solid: Twin Snakes - Nintendo GameCube
Metal Gear Solid: Snake Eater 3D - Nintendo 3DS
Super Smash Bros Brawl - Nintendo Wii
Dream Mix TV: World Fighters - Nintendo GameCube
Boktai 2: Solar Boy Django - Game Boy Advance
Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia - Nintendo DS
Scriblenauts(surprising, right?) - Nintendo 3DS(Japanese version only)
New International Track & Field - Nintendo DS
Yu-Gi-Oh! 7 Trials to Glory: World Chanpionship - Game Boy Advance
Evolution Skateboarding - Nintendo GameCube

That's a lot of history. When his first game appeared on a Nintendo console, that's a pretty hard fact to ignore.

Uh...he wouldn't fit in. Look at this roster!

This argument has a few ways to be seen, and all of them can be contested:

-If his realistic appearance is the issue, then logically, Shulk and Zero Suit Samus don't fit either. Why would Snake's look be a negatively impacting black sheep?

-If his overall theme(hyper realistic military guy) is off putting, consider that Smash Bros. has a lot of characters from different themes that would otherwise not mesh; as one of many possible examples, a hyper-futuristic bounty hunter(Samus) fighting a genetically cloned, psychic Pokemon(Mewtwo). Both characters have wildly different themes to them, and don't mesh at all, but Smash Bros. is a crossover, it's not supposed to make sense. Why Snake would suddenly be the exception is confusing.

@ Scoliosis Jones Scoliosis Jones : The entire purpose of Smash Bros. is to bring characters who wouldn't normally fit in with one another together...Snake not entirely fitting in is what makes his inclusion so fantastic. Would Mario and Ike fit together? No. But in Smash Bros., because the point of the game is to bring all different kinds of characters together, it works. It applies to Snake too.

Man, but that's too many third parties for Smash!

We have Mega Man, Sonic and Pac-Man as the current third parties in a roster of 53(counting Lucas). Including Snake would only make it 1/13th of the roster at best. If there were, say, ten third parties and Snake on the possible list, then there would be a problem, but as it stands, the selection of third parties is still very minimal.

Snake has had no recent games on Nintendo consoles. He's not relevant to the company.
That didn't stop Mega Man. Look how Capcom has treated him, and yet he still got in. And Snake already fits the criteria of having appeared on a Nintendo console; several times. On top of that, he was already in Smash, so of course he would be relevant.

From @ Scoliosis Jones Scoliosis Jones : This shouldn't even matter. Snake's been in Smash before obviously, and the only requirements are that you appear on a Nintendo console one time. Snake fits the requirements, period.
Ryu's coming, that should stop Snake!

Hold up. Ryu is not only not guaranteed as of now, but Ryu getting in would solidify Snake's chances. Why?

Street Fighter hasn't had mainline games on Nintendo consoles since Street Fighter 2, and another third party would be joining the cast. Both are reasons commonly used against Snake, i.e relevancy on Nintendo consoles and the doubts of third-party DLC. On top of that, both Ryu and Snake have an upcoming game slated for release on opposing consoles. If that alone didn't stop Ryu, Snake has no reason to be an exception.

So no, Ryu won't stop Snake; he'll help him.

@ Scoliosis Jones Scoliosis Jones : Ryu only proves that 3rd Parties most likely need to have an upper tier gaming star status. A line up of Sonic, Mega Man, Pac-Man, Ryu and Snake would be a dream come true for some people. Smash isn't just about Nintendo anymore; it hasn't been since Snake first showed up.

Hey, KONAMI has issues with Kojima leaving and stuff!

This is frequently brought up. It is true that there is an ongoing issue at Konami in regards to Kojima, but that still doesn't stop Snake. Konami still owns the character, so they can arrange his appearance as DLC if need be. The only true roadblock that could happen would be if Konami stopped supporting other consoles; which they haven't.

And besides, Konami is in favor of voting for Snake in the Smash Ballot if this retweet is to be believed.

So even this isn't an issue unless Konami says so.

@ Scoliosis Jones Scoliosis Jones : Not only has Konami retweeted that tweet, but they also favorited 2 others. Sure, you could argue that it's just an intern doing whatever on the account, but you never know.
Okay...what can I do to help?

It's simple. Vote for Snake in the Smash Ballot, maybe wear one of the emblems below in your signature, and just spread the word in general. The more, the merrier. Only with your help can we make it known that Snake should come back.

For more information on Snake and his appearance in Super Smash Bros. Brawl, visit http://www.smashbros.com/wii/en_us/characters/snake.html for more information.

Other Information:
A translation of one of Sakurai's Famitsu Columns reveals information on Snake in Smash Bros. Sakurai reflects on Snake's reveal at E3 2006 and working on the character during development.
https://sourcegaming.wordpress.com/2015/06/16/solid-snake-joins-the-brawl-translation/

A Snake fan from Reddit has compiled a huge post about Snake and his history with Smash Bros. Plenty of juicy information right here!
https://www.reddit.com/r/smashbros/...te_compilation_of_snake_information/?sort=top

Promo images

Supporter List
Vote now...don't let Snake keep us waiting!

Once a Smash Brother, always a Smash Brother!
SPECIAL THANKS TO:
Credit to @LIQUID12A for the OP reboot. Give that guy a hand. He deserves it!
@ Swamp Sensei Swamp Sensei for compiling the games in which Snake appeared on Nintendo consoles
@JamesDNaux for the first signature icon
@HylianHeroBigBoss for the ticket stub sig icon
@N3ON for the Snake support icon
@ Zajice Zajice and @CaptainCrisb for the Snake splash pic

Last edited by a moderator:

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Are the rumors about him being in that Sony Smash bros true? If so, buh bye Snake.

:phone:

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
So what are the chances he'll manage to get back in?
Some say slim, while some say he's likely. Honestly, I hope they bring him back, but if they don't, it's not like I'll miss him (that much) since I don't main him.
What're the chances his moves won't be so damn huge?
Pretty high, actually. His character model was supposed to be bigger in Brawl, but they decided to make him smaller, but never changed the hitboxes for his moves, hence why they're so huge. This time, with other developers in the mix, I'm sure they'll balance his attacks in the range department at the very least.
Buffed uptilt is go.
Agreed. :troll:
Are the rumors about him being in that Sony Smash bros true? If so, buh bye Snake.
There are no confirmation to those rumors.

So long as Snake remains the explosive happy person he can be, that is good enough for me. With the 3DS remake of Metal Gear Solid 3, I was thinking it was a sign that Konami would be making more exclusives or games which could be put on the WiiU. Although, I guess it was to only be a one time thing. Either way, I think Nintendo would have to secure permission/rights to using that character again. I wonder what the agreement was in brawl.

BSP

Smash Legend
If Snake makes it back, all he needs are reasonable hitboxes and I'd be fine with him.

lol That dthrow speed was a bit inconvenient in doubles. The damage was not done until they are fully on the ground, and Snake caresses his foe until the end.

Walbytamer11

Smash Apprentice
lol That dthrow speed was a bit inconvenient in doubles. The damage was not done until they are fully on the ground, and Snake caresses his foe until the end.
It may be just me but I have some unknown reason that I think brawl doubles are atrocious. I just can't play them.

tirkaro

Smash Champion

Would you really put it past Snake to double dip in both Sony and Nintendo's Smashes?

I mean, this is the same guy who used his SSBB stage to advertise for the PS3's killer app. You don't get much more ballsy than that. :secretkpop:

IhaveSonar

Smash Journeyman
Reduce his weight and hitboxes so they are proportional to his size.

Also, perhaps his aerials could be less laggy. He probably has the worst aerial game in brawl as it stands.

Other than that, he's cool beans.

Ralph Cecil

Smash Champion
NNID
RalphCecil
3DS FC
4098-4850-8033
Are Snake's hurtboxes that of a bigger character as well? o-o

Also if they keep Snake I hope they add some more characters from the MGS as well. =D

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I can understand why Solid Snake was in Brawl, but overall, I think he should step aside and let another 3rd party character take over.

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
Are Snake's hurtboxes that of a bigger character as well? o-o
Yes, it is my understanding that Snake was supposed to have a larger character model, but was scaled down a bit more during development, but his hitboxes remained the same, which could explain the disjoint in some of his attacks, especially his Up Tilt. Any confirmation on this would be appreciated though, as this information is more through word-of-mouth, and we know how "reliable" those are.

Also if they keep Snake I hope they add some more characters from the MGS as well. =D
It seems unlikely, especially if Sakurai is going to stick with the one-character-per-third-party thing. I can see Namco-Bandai being an exception, seeing as they're developing the game, and thus could be entitled to more reps than other third-parties.

DilowcsNollsnn

Smash Rookie
I hope Snake returns. But if Konami allows Snake in "Sony Smash Bros.", That would basically a big middle finger to Nintendo. If that's the case I'd feel so betrayed I wouldn't even want him back. >:(

D

Deleted member

I hope Snake returns. But if Konami allows Snake in "Sony Smash Bros.", That would basically a big middle finger to Nintendo. If that's the case I'd feel so betrayed I wouldn't even want him back. >:(
You'd make a horrible company then, as it should be expected that acompany with no specific ties to another (i.e. Konami) is free to do whatever they want.
Maybe Takara-Tomy should feel betrayed since Snake was in DreamMix TV World Fighters before he was in Brawl.

I suppose the fact that Namco-Bandai is allowing Heihachi Mishima in Sony's game is "betraying" Nintendo since they're helping with Smash 4?

EDIT: Long story short, Snake's going to be in both. Get over it.

gothrax

Smash Journeyman
You know i thought Snake was soo frigin cool when i played him in brawl....
But thats because i hadn't played snake eater yet -_-
OH MY GOSH WHAT WHERE THEY THINKING!!!
I mean i feel ript off here :mad: snake didn't play like that at all.
I mean he should be using some intense cqc on these goons :glare:

Oh and something i noticed when playing, when he uses that little third combo sweep kick, it has quite a BIG hitbox :troll:

D

Deleted member

Gothrax, the Snake in Snake Eater is Naked Snake a.k.a. Big Boss.
The Snake in Brawl is Solid Snake (though with Naked Snake's beard; Solid has had only stubble at most), who is the playable Snake in the other Metal Gear Solids.

They have some differences in fighting style.

Ralph Cecil

Smash Champion
NNID
RalphCecil
3DS FC
4098-4850-8033
One thing though is that every now and then Snake uses the butterfly shaped C3 instead of basic C4 in Brawl so they have some inconsistencies in Brawl. :V So with that little bit I think they could've used some more things from Snake Eater. o-o

gothrax

Smash Journeyman
Gothrax, the Snake in Snake Eater is Naked Snake a.k.a. Big Boss.
The Snake in Brawl is Solid Snake (though with Naked Snake's beard; Solid has had only stubble at most), who is the playable Snake in the other Metal Gear Solids.

They have some differences in fighting style.
Yaaaa i know *disappointed* although maybe they'll change that this time around:awesome:

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
You'd make a horrible company then, as it should be expected that acompany with no specific ties to another (i.e. Konami) is free to do whatever they want.
Maybe Takara-Tomy should feel betrayed since Snake was in DreamMix TV World Fighters before he was in Brawl.

I suppose the fact that Namco-Bandai is allowing Heihachi Mishima in Sony's game is "betraying" Nintendo since they're helping with Smash 4?

EDIT: Long story short, Snake's going to be in both. Get over it.
Wouldn't say he's in just yet, but all the dumb centered on All Stars is rediculous.

The games aren't even going to be released within the same timeframe (by most likely a year or two) so a lending conflict shouldn't be a problem.

But yeah, fix Snake's hitboxes, and maybe make him slightly lighter.

Heartstring

Smash Legend
Snake will most likely stay, he's a completely original character, plus people love him

Wishlist for snake in SSB4:
Fix his tilts hitboxes, Please they should not have flown under the radar.
give him some form of airgame, so that he may land vs. marth
make him lighter, not by much, just not stupid heavy
make c4 stick to whoever he sticks it to, and not fall off/switch
make Dthrow do less damage, like MUCH less

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Make him weight as much like Link and C.Falcon. Why was Snake ever made into a heavy weight? Only best by Bowser and DK, which is ridiculous...

Heartstring

Smash Legend
I agree that he should be nearer the heavier end of human characters, somewhere near ganondorf. the man is carrying grenade, stingers, nikita and all that

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Ganondorf should be heavier I feel. He's carrying around much more muscle mass, and a piece of armor which when melted could me made into a tank. :smirk: That, and he's a final boss in Zelda. He should have some durability. But if you mean Ganondorf's current weight, that'd be fine. I guess. As long as Ganondorf himself will be heavier than Snake I'd be fine with it.

IhaveSonar

Smash Journeyman
The reason why Snake's weight and hitboxes are screwed up is because they originally designed all of his hurtboxes to be larger. They then resized him and, if the rumors are true, simply forgot to turn down his hitboxes and weight in proportion to his new size. That's just sloppy negligence on part of the programmers.

yani

Smash Lord
There is a rumor going around that Raiden is going to be in PSABR. Hopefully this will shut people up about Snake not being able to return because of that game ;)

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
I'm sorry, but why would Snake being in PSA affect his chances for being in Smash 4? People seem to forget that Snake had already been in another Smash-like game before Brawl.

PSA didn't use Raiden because Snake was "off-limits." They used Raiden because they were more concerned with the promotion of MG Rising. It had nothing to do with Snake being in Brawl.

Top Bottom