• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Social Thread - Please Read Last Post

Status
Not open for further replies.

NurpNurp

Smash Journeyman
No range isn't an issue, but having more range will definitely help you get more roles. In the end, it boils down to the acting, though.

Now, if this guy is voicing multiple characters in the same project and he has no range, then we've got a problem, but I assume that's not the case.
He was both Yu and Adachi in Persona 4, but there it's alright. I didn't really put it together until someone told me, but after that I could really hear it

D

Deleted member

He was both Yu and Adachi in Persona 4, but there it's alright. I didn't really put it together until someone told me, but after that I could really hear it
Then I’d say he kinda does a decent job on that regard.

I personally dig him a lot as Iron Fist.

D

Deleted member

Ah, I see the issue there.

I'd say that's probably going to be on the casting director, sense typically VAs will go for mutliple characters with the same voice and think they'll only be cast as one.

So, a little on the directors and a little on the VA. Hard to say. It's a pretty blurred line.

Exactly.

What matters is not the amount of voice ranges he has, but instead if his range does work for the roles he is casted for and as you said, differ in the case of voicing many characters in a single production.
Yes, exactly.

I know there was one voice actor (don't recall the name) who almost always uses the same voice, but it works, and he is a stellar actor.

Personally, I try to avoid using the same voice for multiple characters, but sometimes I use my own speaking voice. I deal with it on a case by case basis.

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
All I can say is that JYB at least has the ability to scream. Compare literally every SuperBroly scream and notice that the English version had to be looped cause vic can't scream
Fair enough.

I've always preferred Bin Shimada's performance as Broly over Vic, anyway, so I'm not too bothered by JYB being cast to play him for the dub.

Guh-Huzzah!

Totally humorous voice over and YouTube guy.
Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
Whenever I voice a character, I always try to make sure each voice is easily distinguishable from one another. I don't think using the same range for a lot of different characters is a bad thing, though. If the character calls for it, then use a similar pitch. I do suggest making the voice itself different, though. If someone immediately goes "Oh, hey! I think that's Nate!" then I wouldn't say I did a very good job making the voice unique. Immediately associating a voice with an actor can take away from the immersion in some scenarios. (In my opinion.) If I feel like a voice I do is a bit too similar to another voice, then I try focusing the voice in different parts of my throat.

Last edited:

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
I'm not sure how a Diamond/Pearl remake will be done with the cuts Sword/Shield made.

Sword/Shield cut Hidden Power and Unown is in the Sinnoh Dex (unless they bring it back)
Shinnoian unknown with a king of unknowns evolution.

There problem solved!

D

Deleted member

I watched the movie dubbed as I just prefer dubs but jesus christ did they smash Bin Shimada's knees or something cause that man can ****ing yell
I watched DBS Broly with the spanish dub.

That dub was fine, but that’s about it.

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
Hey, Brawlout got an update after a long silence from the developers.

For a while I thought the game was done but I'll take this.

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
All I can say is that JYB at least has the ability to scream. Compare literally every SuperBroly scream and notice that the English version had to be looped cause vic can't scream
Yeah, Vic has stated in multiple interviews that he hates screaming. Which is hilarious considering whom he's playing and in what show.

Also some people just... can naturally scream? I've found through recording sessions that I'm one of those. But a lot of our actors have a very hard time with it, or raising their voices in general.

D

Deleted member

Whenever I voice a character, I always try to make sure each voice is easily distinguishable from one another. I don't think using the same range for a lot of different characters is a bad thing, though. If the character calls for it, then use a similar pitch. I do suggest making the voice itself different, though. If someone immediately goes "Oh, hey! I think that's Nate!" then I wouldn't say I did a very good job making the voice unique. Immediately associating a voice with an actor can take away from the immersion in some scenarios. (In my opinion.) If I feel like a voice I do is a bit too similar to another voice, then I try focusing the voice in different parts of my voice.
This as well.

I consider using the same voice "ok" as long as you can express the character well, but I agree that it can take away from the immersion, yes.

Noipoi

Howdy!
Yeah, Vic has stated in multiple interviews that he hates screaming. Which is hilarious considering whom he's playing and in what show.

Also some people just... can naturally scream? I've found through recording sessions that I'm one of those. But a lot of our actors have a very hard time with it, or raising their voices in general.
Hi hello yes I am one of the can’t screamers

Guh-Huzzah!

Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893

Screaming has always been a bit weird for me. I can scream, but I have a lot of difficulty holding it. Yelling isn't very difficult for me, though. I don't do many roles where I have to scream, luckily.

Last edited:

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
I watched the movie dubbed as I just prefer dubs but jesus christ did they smash Bin Shimada's knees or something cause that man can ****ing yell
He's gotta be stepping on LEGO pieces barefoot while he's recording in order to have screams sound that painful.

Hell, even Jiren's JPN voice actor sounded like he was being killed in the studio near the end of this clip:

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Screaming has always been a bit weird for me. I can scream, but I have a lot of difficulty holding it. Yelling isn't very difficult for me, though. I don't do many roles where I have to scream, though.
My brother and I both have naturally loud voices, and our genes somehow translated that to easy screaming.

When I was trying out for Trunks I held a 15sec scream. It was awesome. Unfortunately we decided to go with the other guy because he hit the "Trunks" voice better than I could-- but I can scream better than he can so who's the real winner.

It also helps when I'm karaokeing rock songs.

D

Deleted member

Screaming is strange.

I typically find I can scream, but I really have to push myself. Takes way more takes than I'd like to admit. lol I'm hoping that I eventually get to the point where I am more comfortable doing it. I'd say screaming, along with crying are some of the biggest things I need to work on. Those "extreme emotions" can be really hard to nail.

As for Vic.... I mean, I have two questions.
1. Why is he auditioning for anime characters if he doesn't like screaming and can't do it convincingly?
2. Why is he being cast as anime characters if he can't scream convincingly?

(Anime isn't all screaming, but if you're in an intense anime show, chances are you're going to do it a couple of times.)

D

Deleted member

My brother and I both have naturally loud voices, and our genes somehow translated that to easy screaming.

When I was trying out for Trunks I held a 15sec scream. It was awesome. Unfortunately we decided to go with the other guy because he hit the "Trunks" voice better than I could-- but I can scream better than he can so who's the real winner.

It also helps when I'm karaokeing rock songs.
Hey, glad to hear that. Screaming is a very hard thing to nail. I find that a lot of voice actors do this "whisper scream."

Son, you are acting. There are no work arounds. If you're gonna scream, you'd better start screamin'.

D

Deleted member

I wish I could be a voice actor...

Too bad that my family and some people at high school killed the dream for me by comparing the voice I have with the one of a Triple X film actor.

But oh well, hopefully in the future I can do something.

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
There’s also instances where the voice actor/actress has a wide range of voices but is usually casted and directed to use the same voice over and over. Like anyone familiar with Critical Role knows that Matt Mercer as a much bigger range than his resume implies.

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
As for Vic.... I mean, I have two questions.
1. Why is he auditioning for anime characters if he doesn't like screaming and can't do it convincingly?
2. Why is he being cast as anime characters if he can't scream convincingly?

(Anime isn't all screaming, but if you're in an intense anime show, chances are you're going to do it a couple of times.)
If you #standwithvic, it's because he's pushing himself as an actor.

If you're #kickvic, it's to get the babes.

:shrugemoji:

D

Deleted member

If you #standwithvic, it's because he's pushing himself as an actor.

If you're #kickvic, it's to get the babes.

:shrugemoji:
Pushing yourself means nothing to casting directors if you can't actually do what you're trying to do well. They want quality. They're not gonna say, "Oh, this guy's screaming is bad, but at least he tried! I'm gonna cast him!"

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794

I feel like there's some sort of psychological block that keeps me from ever yelling or screaming. I should be physically able something in my head just stops me.

I've been yelled at a lot in the past so sometimes I wonder if it has to do with that. And then of course there's my social anxiety, which at least in my case is almost certainly related.

Guh-Huzzah!

Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
I was actually thinking about doing a voice for Reize, from Shovel Knight. His whole shindig is that he's just really bad at being a hero, so I'm just gonna make him sound like an anime protagonist that didn't make the cut. I'll post it here later.

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Hey, glad to hear that. Screaming is a very hard thing to nail. I find that a lot of voice actors do this "whisper scream."

Son, you are acting. There are no work arounds. If you're gonna scream, you'd better start screamin'.
Yeah but sometimes screaming is a minor part of the character's role.

For instance, our Relena was cast because she can nail that soft-spoken authority and girlish enthusiasm. But her voice isn't great for loud lines, so every time Relena has to raise her voice, it's a lot more effort.

It's worth it though because screaming isn't a major part of Relena's character; it just comes up at times.

D

Deleted member

I was just thinking back on my auditions for OPMeat's Dragon Ball Abridged.

How the crap did I think that was good to submit?

D

Deleted member

I need to get out of the thread for a little bit.

Thinking about my past attempts at being a voice actor and the comments I got given back then while being surrounded with seriously talented people gives me too much anxiety.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Yeah but sometimes screaming is a minor part of the character's role.

For instance, our Relena was cast because she can nail that soft-spoken authority and girlish enthusiasm. But her voice isn't great for loud lines, so every time Relena has to raise her voice, it's a lot more effort.

It's worth it though because screaming isn't a major part of Relena's character; it just comes up at times.
This reminds me of my biggest problem with God of War 4. Kratos’s new va can not scream. There are times when he tries and it just doesn’t sound good. And it’s especially laughable when they have him act a scene from God of War 3 and he just, can’t do it. Like, seriously dude. Train with TC Carson so that you can scream and yell when required of you.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
I'm saying I legitimately don't care about the entire controversy and I steer away from cancel culture whenever I can with lighthearted humor.
God bless you. I couldnt give a rats ass about this **** either, I still like his roles he played anyway. Edward and Tamaki will always be amazing

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom