• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Social Thread - Please Read Last Post

Status
Not open for further replies.

Noipoi

Howdy!
I’m watching Infinity War, and it just hit me that Thanos is like a darth vader tier villain now.

Like, he’s gonna be quoted and referenced in pop culture for decades to come.

Shroob

Sup?
Look. I know about show don’t tell. I am taking film after all. But if you’re Story is so subtle that people don’t even know it’s there, then you are doing a bad job telling it.
And sometimes, a story that's open to interpretation is the best thing that can be told.

People are still talking about a game like Yume Nikki for example, a game with 0 dialogue and no direct story, but it's kept discussion about its 'plot' for over a decade.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I still disagree. I still never got any of that when I played. And I still argue that if it’s all in subtext, that your not telling your story very well.
So you want everything just blatantly said directly in your face instead of being given the ability to figure it out yourself and will claim it'd bad story telling if you do the thing that has been done in the most succesful stories out there throughout the ages? That's uhhh. That's certainly a take. Maybe you're just bad at it, a friend of mine tried to get me in MHA because of epic fight scenes and not the **** that makes MHA great, so you aren't the only person I know who's like that

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
So you want everything just blatantly said directly in your face instead of being given the ability to figure it out yourself and will claim it'd bad story telling if you do the thing that has been done in the most succesful stories out there throughout the ages? That's uhhh. That's certainly a take. Maybe you're just bad at it, a friend of mine tried to get me in MHA because of epic fight scenes and not the **** that makes MHA great, so you aren't the only person I know who's like that
If your story is so subtle that when people experience it they don’t realize it’s there, you are telling it badly. When you are watching and paying attention you need to at least see something that starts you thinking.

Shroob

Sup?
If your story is so subtle that when people experience it they don’t realize it’s there, you are telling it badly. When you are watching and paying attention you need to at least see something that starts you thinking.
I'm sure every English major, doctor and author disagrees with this statement immensely.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Look. I get it. I’m gonna suck at film making and I’m gonna suck at everything I try to do in life and I might as well give up and die because I’m gonna die alone anyway so why not just get it over with and save everyone the trouble of having to watch my terrible movies.

Shroob

Sup?
I’m just confused. If people don’t even realize your telling a story then how are you telling it well?
Again, my favorite example is Yume Nikki.

It's a game with 0 dialogue, and massive, empty worlds full of surreal characters and images.

And yet 10-15 years later, people are still discussing the 'plot', despite nothing being told.

There are 'hints', but at the same time, those 'hints' could just be more surreal stuff that means nothing.

It's a story completely open to interpretation. YOU are the author.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Again, my favorite example is Yume Nikki.

It's a game with 0 dialogue, and massive, empty worlds full of surreal characters and images.

And yet 10-15 years later, people are still discussing the 'plot', despite nothing being told.

There are 'hints', but at the same time, those 'hints' could just be more surreal stuff that means nothing.

It's a story completely open to interpretation. YOU are the author.
I would still argue that that’s bad story telling. But whatever. I suck and I’m a worthless stain on the floor who knows nothing.

Shroob

Sup?
I would still argue that that’s bad story telling. But whatever. I suck and I’m a worthless stain on the floor who knows nothing.
Fam-a-lam.

No one's callin' ya worthless.

But ya just need to learn to think outside the box a lil bit. You're soo constrained to think 'the norm' that you're not allowing yourself to go wild with your imagination.

Noipoi

Howdy!
Look. I get it. I’m gonna suck at film making and I’m gonna suck at everything I try to do in life and I might as well give up and die because I’m gonna die alone anyway so why not just get it over with and save everyone the trouble of having to watch my terrible movies.
You’re takin it a bit too far mate.

Y’see. This is a lesson, a learning experience.

Your ideas of what a story should be are different from others, the lesson here is the other ways of story telling aren’t bad or invalid. Simple as!

No one’s questioning your worth as a person.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?

Your ideas of what a story should be are different from others, the lesson here is the other ways of story telling aren’t bad or invalid. Simple as!

Preach Noi

MSmariosonic

Smash Hero
NNID
kidtendo1996
3DS FC
3566-1932-7732
Switch FC
SW 0383 4539 4118
I suck and I’m a worthless stain on the floor who knows nothing.
Why you gotta be like that?

And there is no such thing as a terrible movie just as long as you make one with passion

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Fam-a-lam.

No one's callin' ya worthless.

But ya just need to learn to think outside the box a lil bit. You're soo constrained to think 'the norm' that you're not allowing yourself to go wild with your imagination.
I have plenty of imagination. I have shows and movie I want to make. I have stories I want to tell and worlds I want to show people.

I don’t want to throw together a bunch of random surreal imagery and claim I’m telling a deep interpretative story and if i have a story to tell I want to make sure you at least know it is there.

This is one of the reasons I’m sick of my film classes because this abstract experimental **** is all the professors want us to make.

Noipoi

Howdy!

And there is no such thing as a terrible movie just as long as you make one with passion
The Room is trash.

But the extraterrestrial known as Tommy Wisaeu was passionate about it, making it the greatest cinematic masterpiece of all time.

Noipoi

Howdy!
I have plenty of imagination. I have shows and movie I want to make. I have stories I want to tell and worlds I want to show people.

I don’t want to throw together a bunch of random surreal imagery and claim I’m telling a deep interpretative story and if i have a story to tell I want to make sure you at least know it is there.

This is one of the reasons I’m sick of my film classes because this abstract experimental **** is all the professors want us to make.
Getting experimental is good for...experimenting.

Finding out who you are as an artist, maybe even as a human being. It’s a valuable effort.

We can’t be writing episode plots and deep lore all the time. Sometimes you gotta shake it up y’know?

MSmariosonic

Smash Hero
NNID
kidtendo1996
3DS FC
3566-1932-7732
Switch FC
SW 0383 4539 4118
Film classes are overrated anyway.

The biggest names in hollywood didn't go to a film school at all. They learned the things they know from watching and loving other movies.

In an age where this thing called internet exists it's easier to do your own research on the specific things you want to learn.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed

Because this is honestly how I feel. I’ve lost count of the amount of times I made a project with passion and felt creatively satisfied by it only for it to be the worst looking one in the class.

I wish. I wish. I don’t know what I wish. I’m afraid every day that I’m actually terrible at my passion and i’ll never live a fulfilling life because of it. I’m terrified that i’ll pour my heart and soul into a project and then everyone will hate it and tell me how bad it is just because it’s not what everyone else likes/makes.

Noipoi

Howdy!

The biggest names in hollywood didn't go to a film school at all. They learned the things they know from watching and loving other movies.

In an age where this thing called internet exists it's easier to do your own research on the specific things you want to learn.
Yeah entertainment schools are TRASH

Hides several School for Visual Arts pamphlets

MSmariosonic

Smash Hero
NNID
kidtendo1996
3DS FC
3566-1932-7732
Switch FC
SW 0383 4539 4118
The Room is trash.

But the extraterrestrial known as Tommy Wisaeu was passionate about it, making it the greatest cinematic masterpiece of all time.
Considering a lot of people love it despite it's quality I wouldn't call it trash directly.

A bad movie can be enjoyable and there's a target audience for most pictures.

Noipoi

Howdy!
Because this is honestly how I feel. I’ve lost count of the amount of times I made a project with passion and felt creatively satisfied by it only for it to be the worst looking one in the class.

I wish. I wish. I don’t know what I wish. I’m afraid every day that I’m actually terrible at my passion and i’ll never live a fulfilling life because of it. I’m terrified that i’ll pour my heart and soul into a project and then everyone will hate it and tell me how bad it is just because it’s not what everyone else likes/makes.
That’s the risk you gotta take. You have to be prepared for the possibility that this thing you’ve created, that you’ve nurtured and developed and poured you very being into, will not be liked. For even the stupidest reason. As an artist, that’s the trade off for getting your works out there.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Getting experimental is good for...experimenting.

Finding out who you are as an artist, maybe even as a human being. It’s a valuable effort.

We can’t be writing episode plots and deep lore all the time. Sometimes you gotta shake it up y’know?
Except I don’t work that way. I don’t do experimental film. I can’t think of things to do with it. I’m simple in that way. I just want to tell stories.

I’m really only going so I can get friends, resources, and industry connections. And to do the study abroad program in Hollywood.

Although none of that has really been working out so far.

Noipoi

Howdy!
Except I don’t work that way. I don’t do experimental film. I can’t think of things to do with it. I’m simple in that way. I just want to tell stories.

I’m really only going so I can get friends, resources, and industry connections. And to do the study abroad program in Hollywood.

Although none of that has really been working out so far.
Then tell an experimental story.

What’s stopping you? It’d still be an experiment.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
That’s the risk you gotta take. You have to be prepared for the possibility that this thing you’ve created, that you’ve nurtured and developed and poured you very being into, will not be liked. For even the stupidest reason. As an artist, that’s the trade off for getting your works out there.
What’s the point if people don’t like it.

If people like the movie or show you make, then you’ve touched their lives and influenced the world.

If people hate it then balding men on the internet make videos about how much they wish you were dead.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom