• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Social Thread - Please Read Last Post

Status
Not open for further replies.

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
It's much easier to mock it in hindsight--I will go to my grave adamant that Brave was a poor choice of codename, and while it was obviously not supposed to be seen by the public, you would have thought after the Spirits kerfuffle and Castlevania leak that they would've learned to cover their tracks by picking a more subtle name. Unlike Jack, Brave was too on the nose--it was as if Ridley's codename was "Big ****ing Purple Dragon."

Though, the claim that any particular character was Brave because they were "brave" was always silly.

Gentlepanda

Meme Maestro
NNID
Panda
Switch FC
2255-1434-0335
If Kasumi gets in though she deserves a far better codename than “Countess”
people: "kasumi's codename is countess"
people: "kasumi's codename is swan"
people: "kasumi's codename is jane"
atlus: "kasumi's codename is backstab mctraitor"
people: "what"

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
people: "kasumi's codename is countess"
people: "kasumi's codename is swan"
people: "kasumi's codename is jane"
atlus: "kasumi's codename is backstab mctraitor"
people: "what"
Backstab McTraitor is already taken, but the guy who had it insisted on calling himself Crow instead

ColietheGoalie

Smash Lord
So while my spoiler to follow is pretty lengthy, by no means should you take this as me, "telling you so!" I just really like Edelgard as a character and love discussing the story of the game.
Certainly, some aspects of the means that Edelgard uses are questionable. Even her Battle of Eagle and Lion interaction with Dimitri is harsh, if you ask me. It absolutely makes her ambition strong, but to someone who isn't there to see her develop, questionable. If they weren't, the decision to join her at the end of Chapter 11 would be too easy to make; as in, the Church gets your support if it were that easy.

That said, I would argue the actual villain is the Church, who you may replace at the end of the others, but still remains in power. This is something that Edelgard seeks to end. This seems clear to me because of a few reasons...or maybe more than a few:

1) Jeralt specifically (at least in the BE route, I haven't played the others...simply read about them) tells you that he doesn't trust Rhea, and he eventually flees in order to escape her influence. This is also something that Rhea hides from the others involved with the church, and Byleth. It's manipulative, and her goal to effectively coax you to continue her legacy. Make no mistake, Fodlan is literally led by a mix of Church and State, and Rhea wants it to remain that way, no matter who she has to crush or silence to make sure it happens. (In addition, despite her "motherly" demeanor toward you in the story, she uses Byleth as nothing more than a tool, if her reaction to the player siding with Edelgard is anything to go by. It is a facade only to be, potentially, altered to be more genuine later on if the player sides with the Church, which is what Rhea seeks: control over her "experiment")

1.5) Sure, the Dragons gave humanity their power and a gift so that they may exist in harmony. That does not, despite what some people may say, excuse the exploitation of the system and oppression it causes. The only reason I mention this is because I've seen some folks say, "How could you kill Rhea? She and the dragons provided so much for Humanity!" While this may be true, it doesn't mean that humans must take the oppression of those who bring them "peace and freedom" if it is no "peace and freedom" at all.

2) Rhea rules with an iron fist. She sends students of the Monastery to go out and crush those who might go against the church. This is also done in order to "send a message" to the students to never move against the church. It's basically fear mongering, meant to discourage those who may think differently from rising up and making change.

3) In the BE route, Edelgard (and Hubert) both have regrets about siding with Those who Slither in the Dark, but it is an alliance they needed to create in order to succeed. They operate as part of the system Edelgard seeks to destroy, but they cannot win a war with so many sides against them.

4) On top of that, Edelgard and Hubert start the war because, frankly, it's the only way to actually force change in Fodlan. Dimitri would not have started a war to change the status quo. Claude would not start a war to change the status quo. There is no way that Rhea would fold to a diplomatic discussion, as it is clear she favors her power and is not going to give it up so easily. The only way to actually begin to make change, to buck the reliance on Crests and the suffering it brings (especially to all of the students who suffer from it) (As a teacher myself, this is actually quite similar to how particular parts of the education system are structured, in that it isn't meant for students to make change, but rather, in some cases, learn and regurgitate information...which by all means keeps Rhea and the Church in power in the context of Three Houses. Again, Dimitri doesn't rise against that without the actions of Edelgard, for example.

5) It's clear throughout the story of the BE that Edelgard takes absolutely no joy in the war she started, as she not only says, "You didn't fight in vain!", in some fights against enemy soldiers during Part 2, but actively and vocally asks for her peers in war to live through to the other side so that they may enjoy the New Age of Fodlan together. Incidentally, she actually voices interest in not even ruling once the war is over. She doesn't even necessarily want to be a leader. In the BE route, it's not about the power. It's about change and justice.

6) While Edelgard does keep her actions a secret from you during the BE route as the Flame Emperor, she does indeed stand up to Thales and Kronya after they murder Jeralt. Whether that may be blamed on naivete of a young ruler-to-be for trusting these folks, who play tricks on her as well throughout the story or the fault of the system that failed her, and several other students, is up for debate. I've read that the information she claims to believe, such that Nemesis was falsely portrayed as evil, is misguided and was told to her by Those Who Slither, which I attribute to naivete, and confirmation bias on her part. That, I disagree with.

7) Another aspect I find people give flak to Edelgard for is the fact that she didn't try a diplomatic approach, but I don't see how that's at all feasible considering who we're talking about. Not only does she show her hand politically with what her intentions were, but if she suggests this idea to her professor, she risks getting talked out of it, or reported by those who may fear the idea. She can't go to Dimitri because she knows he despises her (for reasons he has been misled by, mind you), and therefore must oppose him. The Dimitri of the BE timeline effectively embraces sadness only for Dedue, but not much else. Yet, Edelgard still feels compassion for him, and through this compassion, ends his suffering by ending his life, as he has become blinded by revenge. Unfortunately, Dimitri could have gotten his revenge if he sided with Edelgard and took down Those who Slither, (though this is just like how Edelgard could have taken Dimitri's hand at the end of the BL route...though knowing her ambition, she would never be satisfied with the outcome Dimitri produced).

8) Not really a point in favor of anyone, but the outcome of the game is largely obviously determined by who the professor guides. Edelgard is a tragic story of unchecked ambition if Byleth doesn't side with her. This is basically similar to Daenerys Targaryen of GoT. She's absolutely fortified in her own resolve; but without guidance she can achieve little. As she has the most clear ambition of the three House Leaders, having the guidance of the professor allows her to achieve quite a bit, when combined.

Side note: I will say, I realize there's no "canon route". However, the way that Edelgard and the Black Eagles route are being pushed (one example: Edelgard evidently already has a Figma in development), it makes it seem that the developers see her path that way; or more directly "canon". I'd argue that her path being the distinctly different one, regardless of animated cutscene quality, suggests this as well. In addition to the fact that she is the only other bearer of the Fire Emblem, along with Byleth, it certainly seems as though this may be the "canon path". I can't objectively prove it, but those are my thoughts.

Whew. A mouthful, lads. I love when a story gets my brain working this way lol. Thanks to anybody who reads all that garbage.

Gentlepanda Gentlepanda and @Opossum , my fellow Black Eagle lads, did I miss anything?
All valid and interesting points, but I don't think that clears her of villainous status. Many of the most compelling villains in fiction are right in what they want. For example, Magneto in the X-Men films makes sense a lot of the time. It's the argument of method. Murder, lying, and making alliances with people you know to be evil are all hallmarks of villainy, and as such, even with her positive traits she can't be absolved completely.

There is definitely an interesting line of thought in the idea of choosing her path being the one where her ambition is guided more. And there's something to be said for doing what you think is right even when others simply can't agree. I suppose it just depends what side of history you land on (which is built right into the game).

She's certainly an interesting character.

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
Speaking of leaks and Smash things, I just remembered a really terrible idea some fans had that, if Snake didn't come back, to reuse his moveset and give it to a Primid.

Like, what the ****? LMAO
I mean I don’t think a Primid wouldn’t be a bad idea for a fighter all things considered, hell I tried to make a moveset for it at one point, but it would not fit Snake’s moveset.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
All valid and interesting points, but I don't think that clears her of villainous status. Many of the most compelling villains in fiction are right in what they want. For example, Magneto in the X-Men films makes sense a lot of the time. It's the argument of method. Murder, lying, and making alliances with people you know to be evil are all hallmarks of villainy, and as such, even with her positive traits she can't be absolved completely.

There is definitely an interesting line of thought in the idea of choosing her path being the one where her ambition is guided more. And there's something to be said for doing what you think is right even when others simply can't agree. I suppose it just depends what side of history you land on (which is built right into the game).

She's certainly an interesting character.
I agree. I would never argue that I completely agree with the straight up murder, or lying. However, Edelgard did all that she basically knew she had to do. She's no patron saint, however, again, there's simply no other way to challenge the world order at the time.

Let's not forget: Edelgard benefits from the current system at the time of the game. Sure, she suffered earlier based on the experimenting, and trauma of seeing each of her 10 siblings murdered. But now? She's a noble. She's a future Queen. If she plays nice, she faces no conflict with the Church, who oppresses the people they claim to "love" despite it becoming clear later that Rhea doesn't actually care. She could, in theory, stand by and watch as people are slaughtered for reasons related to their identity at birth. Interestingly enough, while they don't really show all that much in terms of racism and sexism, there is absolutely class warfare or slander toward the less fortunate in that respect.

I do feel for Seteth and Flayn. They're good people who had nothing to do with Rhea's scheming, but they clearly couldn't side against Rhea when it would forsake their entire existences.

She really is, as you said, an interesting character. That's why I try to dispel the "she's ****ing evil" thing that's floating around, because it just isn't that simple. If you ask me, anyway.

Gentlepanda

Meme Maestro
NNID
Panda
Switch FC
2255-1434-0335
Speaking of leaks and Smash things, I just remembered a really terrible idea some fans had that, if Snake didn't come back, to reuse his moveset and give it to a Primid.

Like, what the ****? LMAO
i liked the part in subspace where the primids grabbed mario in a chokehold and strangled him to death

Shadowwolflink

Smash Master
Is there any way to reread to character endings in Three Houses that show during the credits? I was in a hurry when I beat it because I had to run to work, and I didn't have time to read them all.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Didn’t the Gothitelle leak also deadass mention a “Mario2” placeholder

Like come on you go out of your way to say Richter, Gardevoir and Gothitelle were explicitly named in the files and then, sticking out like a sore thumb is “Mario2”

The inconsistency was actually kind of hilarious
It was a leak of good guesses so props to them for that but as a fake leak, it kinda falls flat. Shame as I'll always look for an excuse to get more Gardevoir.

Roguewolf

Smash Lord
So while my spoiler to follow is pretty lengthy, by no means should you take this as me, "telling you so!" I just really like Edelgard as a character and love discussing the story of the game.
Certainly, some aspects of the means that Edelgard uses are questionable. Even her Battle of Eagle and Lion interaction with Dimitri is harsh, if you ask me. It absolutely makes her ambition strong, but to someone who isn't there to see her develop, questionable. If they weren't, the decision to join her at the end of Chapter 11 would be too easy to make; as in, the Church gets your support if it were that easy.

That said, I would argue the actual villain is the Church, who you may replace at the end of the others, but still remains in power. This is something that Edelgard seeks to end. This seems clear to me because of a few reasons...or maybe more than a few:

1) Jeralt specifically (at least in the BE route, I haven't played the others...simply read about them) tells you that he doesn't trust Rhea, and he eventually flees in order to escape her influence. This is also something that Rhea hides from the others involved with the church, and Byleth. It's manipulative, and her goal to effectively coax you to continue her legacy. Make no mistake, Fodlan is literally led by a mix of Church and State, and Rhea wants it to remain that way, no matter who she has to crush or silence to make sure it happens. (In addition, despite her "motherly" demeanor toward you in the story, she uses Byleth as nothing more than a tool, if her reaction to the player siding with Edelgard is anything to go by. It is a facade only to be, potentially, altered to be more genuine later on if the player sides with the Church, which is what Rhea seeks: control over her "experiment")

1.5) Sure, the Dragons gave humanity their power and a gift so that they may exist in harmony. That does not, despite what some people may say, excuse the exploitation of the system and oppression it causes. The only reason I mention this is because I've seen some folks say, "How could you kill Rhea? She and the dragons provided so much for Humanity!" While this may be true, it doesn't mean that humans must take the oppression of those who bring them "peace and freedom" if it is no "peace and freedom" at all.

2) Rhea rules with an iron fist. She sends students of the Monastery to go out and crush those who might go against the church. This is also done in order to "send a message" to the students to never move against the church. It's basically fear mongering, meant to discourage those who may think differently from rising up and making change.

3) In the BE route, Edelgard (and Hubert) both have regrets about siding with Those who Slither in the Dark, but it is an alliance they needed to create in order to succeed. They operate as part of the system Edelgard seeks to destroy, but they cannot win a war with so many sides against them.

4) On top of that, Edelgard and Hubert start the war because, frankly, it's the only way to actually force change in Fodlan. Dimitri would not have started a war to change the status quo. Claude would not start a war to change the status quo. There is no way that Rhea would fold to a diplomatic discussion, as it is clear she favors her power and is not going to give it up so easily. The only way to actually begin to make change, to buck the reliance on Crests and the suffering it brings (especially to all of the students who suffer from it) (As a teacher myself, this is actually quite similar to how particular parts of the education system are structured, in that it isn't meant for students to make change, but rather, in some cases, learn and regurgitate information...which by all means keeps Rhea and the Church in power in the context of Three Houses. Again, Dimitri doesn't rise against that without the actions of Edelgard, for example.

5) It's clear throughout the story of the BE that Edelgard takes absolutely no joy in the war she started, as she not only says, "You didn't fight in vain!", in some fights against enemy soldiers during Part 2, but actively and vocally asks for her peers in war to live through to the other side so that they may enjoy the New Age of Fodlan together. Incidentally, she actually voices interest in not even ruling once the war is over. She doesn't even necessarily want to be a leader. In the BE route, it's not about the power. It's about change and justice.

6) While Edelgard does keep her actions a secret from you during the BE route as the Flame Emperor, she does indeed stand up to Thales and Kronya after they murder Jeralt. Whether that may be blamed on naivete of a young ruler-to-be for trusting these folks, who play tricks on her as well throughout the story or the fault of the system that failed her, and several other students, is up for debate. I've read that the information she claims to believe, such that Nemesis was falsely portrayed as evil, is misguided and was told to her by Those Who Slither, which I attribute to naivete, and confirmation bias on her part. That, I disagree with.

7) Another aspect I find people give flak to Edelgard for is the fact that she didn't try a diplomatic approach, but I don't see how that's at all feasible considering who we're talking about. Not only does she show her hand politically with what her intentions were, but if she suggests this idea to her professor, she risks getting talked out of it, or reported by those who may fear the idea. She can't go to Dimitri because she knows he despises her (for reasons he has been misled by, mind you), and therefore must oppose him. The Dimitri of the BE timeline effectively embraces sadness only for Dedue, but not much else. Yet, Edelgard still feels compassion for him, and through this compassion, ends his suffering by ending his life, as he has become blinded by revenge. Unfortunately, Dimitri could have gotten his revenge if he sided with Edelgard and took down Those who Slither, (though this is just like how Edelgard could have taken Dimitri's hand at the end of the BL route...though knowing her ambition, she would never be satisfied with the outcome Dimitri produced).

8) Not really a point in favor of anyone, but the outcome of the game is largely obviously determined by who the professor guides. Edelgard is a tragic story of unchecked ambition if Byleth doesn't side with her. This is basically similar to Daenerys Targaryen of GoT. She's absolutely fortified in her own resolve; but without guidance she can achieve little. As she has the most clear ambition of the three House Leaders, having the guidance of the professor allows her to achieve quite a bit, when combined.

Side note: I will say, I realize there's no "canon route". However, the way that Edelgard and the Black Eagles route are being pushed (one example: Edelgard evidently already has a Figma in development), it makes it seem that the developers see her path that way; or more directly "canon". I'd argue that her path being the distinctly different one, regardless of animated cutscene quality, suggests this as well. In addition to the fact that she is the only other bearer of the Fire Emblem, along with Byleth, it certainly seems as though this may be the "canon path". I can't objectively prove it, but those are my thoughts.

Whew. A mouthful, lads. I love when a story gets my brain working this way lol. Thanks to anybody who reads all that garbage.

Gentlepanda Gentlepanda and @Opossum , my fellow Black Eagle lads, did I miss anything?
Interesting how, since you chose the black eagles you see the game completely differently then me on my playthrough if you'll allow me to pontificate about what I thought about about the black eagles from the perspective of the golden deer because I find it interesting how different my view of the game is (particularly edelguard and the house leaders)
I saw edelguard as someone who's overall goal wasn't necessarily wrong. I do view rhea as a very hypocritical iron handed entity who probably shouldn't have as much power as she does. But the way edelguard goes about to me,is very wrong. In my view she would always talk about how she didn't want to align herself with all these bad people. But she did do it and because she did jeralt is dead,villages with innocent villagers get razed to the ground for the man with a forehead the side of eastern kentuckys experiments. Flayn (who is the most innocent being alive) is kidnapped by the deathknight who is in her service. Again you could argue she loaned the death knight to that creepy dude (sorry haven't finished the game yet.) But that means that she loaned a knight of death to an ally that she didn't want to align herself with because he was shady and evil. So she had to know that something bad was going to happen she probably didnt know exactly what it was that would happen she knew something bad would happen and as is often a theme of hers she though the ends justify the means. And by the way her end goal isn't that great either because while wanting to stop rhea is admirable she plunges the whole continent into war because of it Which means that even more civillains and soilders are going to get killed. And she beheads Dimitri (which by the way no one can't spin that one its too ****ed up in my eyes) now I'm the type of person who cant except unnecessary death like this for the "greatear good" the greater good to me is a phrase used by tyrants and misguided anarchists who don't want to admit that there tyrants and misguided freedom fighters.I think that edelgiards is evil chaos personified she plunges a continent to war makes shady alliances without thinking of the consequences and ultimately kills people because of it(even indirectly killing your own father).and rhea is evil order she is a tollitarion leader who makes sure no one speaks out against her precious religion by crushing them and ultimately killing people. Are either of them good no not at all,but here's the thing claude is good,of the three lords if I was to put all of them on a morality spectrum i would put
Dimitri:Neutral
Edelguard:evil
Claude:good
Now why is claude so good? well when you get to his last social stat(I cant call them anything else because persona has firmly burned that phrase in my brain) he tells you his dream,he wants to break down inequality basically he wants evereyone to be judged on merit,he wants people to not be judged for where they come from there class or there religion.
He also wants religion to serve as a support system for the people and not an entity that crushes rebellions and executes people.and if you don't want to beleive in so this you wont be killed as a heretic your just able to live.
Now that was a very shallow dive into claudes overall ambitions but everything that he said was just like that. And I dont know about you but claudes dream sounds like a perfect one.
And the thing is he is doing evreything he can to make it a reality (in my play through at least) all he needs is the support of byleth and a few other well meaning individuals.(not the shady ones edelguard uses)

I think claude has said he dosent want rhea as the head of the church because he finds her to be a iron fisted controlling person who uses the church as a weapon when it should be a sheild for some people.now I'm not religious at all ( I dont believe in a god) but what he says the church should be for some people makes sense to me.

And while I think there's no canon route the one that makes sense to me is like all people the one I picked just because I think of claude as the morally good charachter so I think his route makes the most sense. Its also bias because claude has quickly turned into one of my favorite videogame charachters of all time.

Whew that was a long one but I just found it fasinating how different are views of the game were because of who we chose in the beginning. Again for clarification Scoliosis Jones Scoliosis Jones this was in no way at you or trying to attack your view I completely understand why you like edelguard and the black eagles your post to me was just a jump of point to contrast with what I thought as I played the game.[/spoilers]

Gentlepanda

Meme Maestro
NNID
Panda
Switch FC
2255-1434-0335
i like how the morality of TH characters provokes actual discussion with no clear answer when just two games ago garon was a thing

Rangez

Dimensional Dile-Up
Has anyone else seen that Brawlbrstm3 has disappeared for good? Most of my favorite MVC tracks have been deleted in one of my playlists.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Has anyone else seen that Brawlbrstm3 has disappeared for good? Most of my favorite MVC tracks have been deleted in one of my playlists.
I thought they were gone a long time ago?

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
Man, today I just feel like ****, and the worst thing is, is that I don't even have a good reason to feel like ****.

BlondeLombax

Smash Master
So I completely forgot the passcodes to my phone and tablet, good lord I am salty.

I want to reset it, but I don't want to lose any of my data. What am I supposed to do?

EDIT: I PECKING GOT IT

Last edited:

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
oh boy i can take a woman to the goddess tower or something

i choose between the 2 introverts, catherine, or ingrid

im more worried about who to make a dancer though
I would go with whoever in your house wants you to make them the dancer. I did it for annete and with her mage abilities she’s pretty damn good.
Soooo apparently Ferdinand von Aegir's B-Support is post-time skip only, so since I didn't have the right stats I missed out on him and was the ONE student I had to kill in my BL run... Damn... Just a warning for everyone who wants to recruit him: you'll need to raise Heavy Armor a bit.

Also if you're doing BL, remember to get Annette and Gilbert to C support each other before Chapter 16. Missed out on their paralogue and all it would have taken is two activity points during exploration. :facepalm:

Three out of four routes she is used as a villain, only in one do you actually not have to kill her. And I'd say even in that one she still did some messed up **** that a lot of universally accepted villains have done for their goals. It's not like baddies aren't allowed to have ideals or trauma.

But I still agree that if we get a Three Houses rep, it'll be her. Byleth really wouldn't be able to distinguish themselves enough from the other FE reps. Although plenty of the FE reps we have don't meet that criteria, so I guess it could still happen.
Wait you do treatise that stats don’t matter for recruitment right?

Just get said unit you want to a b support and they’ll request to join you on an off day before Sunday. That way you don’t need to waste all the stat points on what byetth would probably never use

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
Wait you do treatise that stats don’t matter for recruitment right?

Just get said unit you want to a b support and they’ll request to join you on an off day before Sunday. That way you don’t need to waste all the stat points on what byetth would probably never use
thats just it, you CANT get Ferdinands B support because its post time skip. It locks you out of supports if you arent far enough in the game, example, not at the timeskip yet. Once you get to the timeskip, you can get his B but by then, you cant recruit him anyway

Last edited:

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
thats just it, you CANT get Ferdinands B support because its post time skip. It locks you out of supports if you arent far enough in the game, example, not at the timeskip yet. Once you get to the timeskip, you can get his B but by then, you cant recruit him anyway
Oh I see. Is he the only one that works that way because that kinda of stupid to keep most of them pre time skip then don’t for one unit or even a few.

How are you even suppose to train in heavy armor actually? None of the staff train it, unless:
Unless it was jeralt but I don’t remember him offering it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom