• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Social Thread - Please Read Last Post

Status
Not open for further replies.

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
Morning all,

It looks like I’m getting the job that I’ve been waiting on for months now. Gonna have to set aside a budget and stick to it for awhile

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
Me, "Guys, Brave is just how the Japanese refer to the DQ prota----"

Everyone, "BUT wHAT IF It MEANS THe CHArACTER iS REALLY BRAVE?!"
that while "Idk, -blank- is really brave" meme made me so damn angry because of how annoying it got. it was so ****ing annoying

Last edited:

Gentlepanda

Meme Maestro
NNID
Panda
Switch FC
2255-1434-0335
local man: "aight let's check out this fire emblem thing people have been talking about and see how good it really is"

local man 5 days later:
man how did i end up playing three houses for 15 hours

Raxxel

Hipster Heavyweight Champ
NNID
RaxxelAintHappy
3DS FC
2921-9637-8816
man how did i end up playing three houses for 15 hours

thats wild man

i dont even feel tired yet
The thing is that everything in the game takes more time than it feels like it does. A single player phase might take 3 minutes when it feels like 30 seconds. A whole battle might last an hour even if it feels like 10 minutes. The game is addicting like that, everything feels like it takes less time than it does.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Man I wish there was some leak or rumor flying around right now... we still dunno what that Starling pic was all about (we DO know it’s not FE related but that’s it)

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Man I wish there was some leak or rumor flying around right now... we still dunno what that Starling pic was all about (we DO know it’s not FE related but that’s it)
When did he say it wasn't related to FE, because if it's not, SwSh is the only other thing I can think of.

Last edited:

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
Brave is *throws dart* John Cena because *plays russian roulette* he was a guest in *gets tarot reading* Ace Combat

BlueMonk

Smash Champion
When did he say it wasn't related to FE, because if it's not, SwSh is the only other thing I can think of.
he didn't say anything conclusive, just that the discord group wasn't really into FE or sw/sh so it likely wasn't about either of those

Hat N' Clogs

John Tavares is a Leaf
3DS FC
1650-2469-6836
Switch FC
SW-3519-9567-9870
Gonna be trying 222 role today for Overwatch since it's dropping so if anyone wants to join the group that I'm forming today, just let me know.

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
he didn't say anything conclusive, just that the discord group wasn't really into FE or sw/sh so it likely wasn't about either of those
Oh, then I already knew about that.

Anyway, those comments are coming from people who are interpreting this as an obvious hint to Geno, so I wouldn't take what they say too seriously. I mean, if it's not FE, SwSh, or third-party, and if it's something relevant to Smash, then I have absolutely no idea what else it could be referring to. If it's something outside of Smash, then that would make a lot more sense.

Noipoi

Howdy!
Lads, it’s all going down tomorrow.

Tomorrow the movie of the year releases. The movie we’ve all been waiting for. The biggest cinematic epic in the history of film.

But endgame already came ou-**** ENDGAME. Endgame doesn’t have **** on

ANGRY.

BIRDS.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Soooo apparently Ferdinand von Aegir's B-Support is post-time skip only, so since I didn't have the right stats I missed out on him and was the ONE student I had to kill in my BL run... Damn... Just a warning for everyone who wants to recruit him: you'll need to raise Heavy Armor a bit.

Also if you're doing BL, remember to get Annette and Gilbert to C support each other before Chapter 16. Missed out on their paralogue and all it would have taken is two activity points during exploration. :facepalm:

Three out of four routes she is used as a villain, only in one do you actually not have to kill her. And I'd say even in that one she still did some messed up **** that a lot of universally accepted villains have done for their goals. It's not like baddies aren't allowed to have ideals or trauma.

But I still agree that if we get a Three Houses rep, it'll be her. Byleth really wouldn't be able to distinguish themselves enough from the other FE reps. Although plenty of the FE reps we have don't meet that criteria, so I guess it could still happen.
So while my spoiler to follow is pretty lengthy, by no means should you take this as me, "telling you so!" I just really like Edelgard as a character and love discussing the story of the game.
Certainly, some aspects of the means that Edelgard uses are questionable. Even her Battle of Eagle and Lion interaction with Dimitri is harsh, if you ask me. It absolutely makes her ambition strong, but to someone who isn't there to see her develop, questionable. If they weren't, the decision to join her at the end of Chapter 11 would be too easy to make; as in, the Church gets your support if it were that easy.

That said, I would argue the actual villain is the Church, who you may replace at the end of the others, but still remains in power. This is something that Edelgard seeks to end. This seems clear to me because of a few reasons...or maybe more than a few:

1) Jeralt specifically (at least in the BE route, I haven't played the others...simply read about them) tells you that he doesn't trust Rhea, and he eventually flees in order to escape her influence. This is also something that Rhea hides from the others involved with the church, and Byleth. It's manipulative, and her goal to effectively coax you to continue her legacy. Make no mistake, Fodlan is literally led by a mix of Church and State, and Rhea wants it to remain that way, no matter who she has to crush or silence to make sure it happens. (In addition, despite her "motherly" demeanor toward you in the story, she uses Byleth as nothing more than a tool, if her reaction to the player siding with Edelgard is anything to go by. It is a facade only to be, potentially, altered to be more genuine later on if the player sides with the Church, which is what Rhea seeks: control over her "experiment")

1.5) Sure, the Dragons gave humanity their power and a gift so that they may exist in harmony. That does not, despite what some people may say, excuse the exploitation of the system and oppression it causes. The only reason I mention this is because I've seen some folks say, "How could you kill Rhea? She and the dragons provided so much for Humanity!" While this may be true, it doesn't mean that humans must take the oppression of those who bring them "peace and freedom" if it is no "peace and freedom" at all.

2) Rhea rules with an iron fist. She sends students of the Monastery to go out and crush those who might go against the church. This is also done in order to "send a message" to the students to never move against the church. It's basically fear mongering, meant to discourage those who may think differently from rising up and making change.

3) In the BE route, Edelgard (and Hubert) both have regrets about siding with Those who Slither in the Dark, but it is an alliance they needed to create in order to succeed. They operate as part of the system Edelgard seeks to destroy, but they cannot win a war with so many sides against them.

4) On top of that, Edelgard and Hubert start the war because, frankly, it's the only way to actually force change in Fodlan. Dimitri would not have started a war to change the status quo. Claude would not start a war to change the status quo. There is no way that Rhea would fold to a diplomatic discussion, as it is clear she favors her power and is not going to give it up so easily. The only way to actually begin to make change, to buck the reliance on Crests and the suffering it brings (especially to all of the students who suffer from it) (As a teacher myself, this is actually quite similar to how particular parts of the education system are structured, in that it isn't meant for students to make change, but rather, in some cases, learn and regurgitate information...which by all means keeps Rhea and the Church in power in the context of Three Houses. Again, Dimitri doesn't rise against that without the actions of Edelgard, for example.

5) It's clear throughout the story of the BE that Edelgard takes absolutely no joy in the war she started, as she not only says, "You didn't fight in vain!", in some fights against enemy soldiers during Part 2, but actively and vocally asks for her peers in war to live through to the other side so that they may enjoy the New Age of Fodlan together. Incidentally, she actually voices interest in not even ruling once the war is over. She doesn't even necessarily want to be a leader. In the BE route, it's not about the power. It's about change and justice.

6) While Edelgard does keep her actions a secret from you during the BE route as the Flame Emperor, she does indeed stand up to Thales and Kronya after they murder Jeralt. Whether that may be blamed on naivete of a young ruler-to-be for trusting these folks, who play tricks on her as well throughout the story or the fault of the system that failed her, and several other students, is up for debate. I've read that the information she claims to believe, such that Nemesis was falsely portrayed as evil, is misguided and was told to her by Those Who Slither, which I attribute to naivete, and confirmation bias on her part. That, I disagree with.

7) Another aspect I find people give flak to Edelgard for is the fact that she didn't try a diplomatic approach, but I don't see how that's at all feasible considering who we're talking about. Not only does she show her hand politically with what her intentions were, but if she suggests this idea to her professor, she risks getting talked out of it, or reported by those who may fear the idea. She can't go to Dimitri because she knows he despises her (for reasons he has been misled by, mind you), and therefore must oppose him. The Dimitri of the BE timeline effectively embraces sadness only for Dedue, but not much else. Yet, Edelgard still feels compassion for him, and through this compassion, ends his suffering by ending his life, as he has become blinded by revenge. Unfortunately, Dimitri could have gotten his revenge if he sided with Edelgard and took down Those who Slither, (though this is just like how Edelgard could have taken Dimitri's hand at the end of the BL route...though knowing her ambition, she would never be satisfied with the outcome Dimitri produced).

8) Not really a point in favor of anyone, but the outcome of the game is largely obviously determined by who the professor guides. Edelgard is a tragic story of unchecked ambition if Byleth doesn't side with her. This is basically similar to Daenerys Targaryen of GoT. She's absolutely fortified in her own resolve; but without guidance she can achieve little. As she has the most clear ambition of the three House Leaders, having the guidance of the professor allows her to achieve quite a bit, when combined.

Side note: I will say, I realize there's no "canon route". However, the way that Edelgard and the Black Eagles route are being pushed (one example: Edelgard evidently already has a Figma in development), it makes it seem that the developers see her path that way; or more directly "canon". I'd argue that her path being the distinctly different one, regardless of animated cutscene quality, suggests this as well. In addition to the fact that she is the only other bearer of the Fire Emblem, along with Byleth, it certainly seems as though this may be the "canon path". I can't objectively prove it, but those are my thoughts.

Whew. A mouthful, lads. I love when a story gets my brain working this way lol. Thanks to anybody who reads all that garbage.

Gentlepanda Gentlepanda and Opossum Opossum , my fellow Black Eagle lads, did I miss anything?

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
I will say though, quite unapologetically I might add:

The 3 pillars of stupidity for the Ultimate cycle.

1#: Believing that a man stole a demo Switch, datamined it, and the file then proceeded to self-destruct before he could get even more info out of it, all because it guessed a single character right.

2# Believing that there were 'more on the back of the box', despite literally everything we knew by that point.

3# Believing that "Brave means that the character is really brave!" despite the heaps of evidence presented.

I'm not even sorry, these three things got under my skin harder than the Grinch leak ever did.

****ing Gothitelle leak should never have been given a leg to stand on.... I mean, REALLY?

............seriously, I remember the biggest defender of it here threw a hissy fit when it was dis-confirmed.
The Gothitelle leak in particular was ridiculous since the part it got right (Richter) states he was in instead of Simon, not with him. The amount of times I had to hear 'well maybe he forgot' was completely baffling considering we've dismissed leaks for less.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
The Gothitelle leak in particular was ridiculous since the part it got right (Richter) states he was in instead of Simon, not with him. The amount of times I had to hear 'well maybe he forgot' was completely baffling considering we've dismissed leaks for less.
It's amazing how "Gothitelle is far from the breakout character Gardevoir is" was just the tip of the iceberg for debunking that leak.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
The Gothitelle leak... bruh I’m having war flashbacks now

Especially considering the “leaker” should NOT have been able to go through the files when the game was, at the time, only available in safely guarded demo booths

Gentlepanda

Meme Maestro
NNID
Panda
Switch FC
2255-1434-0335
i miss the leaks of old

like baboom leak

1565716302430.png

such perfection we will never again know

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Didn’t the Gothitelle leak also deadass mention a “Mario2” placeholder

Like come on you go out of your way to say Richter, Gardevoir and Gothitelle were explicitly named in the files and then, sticking out like a sore thumb is “Mario2”

The inconsistency was actually kind of hilarious

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Didn’t the Gothitelle leak also deadass mention a “Mario2” placeholder

Like come on you go out of your way to say Richter, Gardevoir and Gothitelle were explicitly named in the files and then, sticking out like a sore thumb is “Mario2”

The inconsistency was actually kind of hilarious
Wouldn't the game devs already consider Dr. Mario to be a "Mario 2" anyway?

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Wouldn't the game devs already consider Dr. Mario to be a "Mario 2" anyway?
Feel like they intended to imply it was hinting at Geno (since I imagine the placeholder was referring to the series of Mario as a whole) since Waluigi was AT’d for the third time in a row and NOBODY saw Piranha Plant coming whatsoever but if so why mess up the pattern?

Last edited:

BlueMonk

Smash Champion
Feel like they intended to imply it was hinting at Geno (since I imagine the placeholder was referring to the series of Mario as a whole) since Waluigi was AT’d for the third time in a row and NOBODY saw Piranha Plant coming whatsoever but if so why mess up the pattern?
I think the leaker said they thought it was supposed to be a super mario 64 form of mario or something which made zero sense

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I think the leaker said they thought it was supposed to be a super mario 64 form of mario or something which made zero sense
I.... w h a t

I don’t remember that but BRUH if true

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
I've always wondered how these banjo or geno fans know all this obscure folklore to connect random words and objects to their character
When you spend all your time during speculation only talking about one character exclusively, you tend to become tunnel-visioned and only able to see things through the lense of how it affects that character specifically. Also, most people just see what they want to see, that's like a general life rule.

It's not just limited to Banjo or Geno fans, Ridley fans went cray cray everytime anything relating to size was brought up, it just happens with these big fanbases.

Potato_

Smash Lord
i miss the leaks of old

like baboom leak

View attachment 234528

such perfection we will never again know
That one had an attitude and a half, still don't really get why it was so pessimistic.

So while my spoiler to follow is pretty lengthy, by no means should you take this as me, "telling you so!" I just really like Edelgard as a character and love discussing the story of the game.
Certainly, some aspects of the means that Edelgard uses are questionable. Even her Battle of Eagle and Lion interaction with Dimitri is harsh, if you ask me. It absolutely makes her ambition strong, but to someone who isn't there to see her develop, questionable. If they weren't, the decision to join her at the end of Chapter 11 would be too easy to make; as in, the Church gets your support if it were that easy.

That said, I would argue the actual villain is the Church, who you may replace at the end of the others, but still remains in power. This is something that Edelgard seeks to end. This seems clear to me because of a few reasons...or maybe more than a few:

1) Jeralt specifically (at least in the BE route, I haven't played the others...simply read about them) tells you that he doesn't trust Rhea, and he eventually flees in order to escape her influence. This is also something that Rhea hides from the others involved with the church, and Byleth. It's manipulative, and her goal to effectively coax you to continue her legacy. Make no mistake, Fodlan is literally led by a mix of Church and State, and Rhea wants it to remain that way, no matter who she has to crush or silence to make sure it happens. (In addition, despite her "motherly" demeanor toward you in the story, she uses Byleth as nothing more than a tool, if her reaction to the player siding with Edelgard is anything to go by. It is a facade only to be, potentially, altered to be more genuine later on if the player sides with the Church, which is what Rhea seeks: control over her "experiment")

1.5) Sure, the Dragons gave humanity their power and a gift so that they may exist in harmony. That does not, despite what some people may say, excuse the exploitation of the system and oppression it causes. The only reason I mention this is because I've seen some folks say, "How could you kill Rhea? She and the dragons provided so much for Humanity!" While this may be true, it doesn't mean that humans must take the oppression of those who bring them "peace and freedom" if it is no "peace and freedom" at all.

2) Rhea rules with an iron fist. She sends students of the Monastery to go out and crush those who might go against the church. This is also done in order to "send a message" to the students to never move against the church. It's basically fear mongering, meant to discourage those who may think differently from rising up and making change.

3) In the BE route, Edelgard (and Hubert) both have regrets about siding with Those who Slither in the Dark, but it is an alliance they needed to create in order to succeed. They operate as part of the system Edelgard seeks to destroy, but they cannot win a war with so many sides against them.

4) On top of that, Edelgard and Hubert start the war because, frankly, it's the only way to actually force change in Fodlan. Dimitri would not have started a war to change the status quo. Claude would not start a war to change the status quo. There is no way that Rhea would fold to a diplomatic discussion, as it is clear she favors her power and is not going to give it up so easily. The only way to actually begin to make change, to buck the reliance on Crests and the suffering it brings (especially to all of the students who suffer from it) (As a teacher myself, this is actually quite similar to how particular parts of the education system are structured, in that it isn't meant for students to make change, but rather, in some cases, learn and regurgitate information...which by all means keeps Rhea and the Church in power in the context of Three Houses. Again, Dimitri doesn't rise against that without the actions of Edelgard, for example.

5) It's clear throughout the story of the BE that Edelgard takes absolutely no joy in the war she started, as she not only says, "You didn't fight in vain!", in some fights against enemy soldiers during Part 2, but actively and vocally asks for her peers in war to live through to the other side so that they may enjoy the New Age of Fodlan together. Incidentally, she actually voices interest in not even ruling once the war is over. She doesn't even necessarily want to be a leader. In the BE route, it's not about the power. It's about change and justice.

6) While Edelgard does keep her actions a secret from you during the BE route as the Flame Emperor, she does indeed stand up to Thales and Kronya after they murder Jeralt. Whether that may be blamed on naivete of a young ruler-to-be for trusting these folks, who play tricks on her as well throughout the story or the fault of the system that failed her, and several other students, is up for debate. I've read that the information she claims to believe, such that Nemesis was falsely portrayed as evil, is misguided and was told to her by Those Who Slither, which I attribute to naivete, and confirmation bias on her part. That, I disagree with.

7) Another aspect I find people give flak to Edelgard for is the fact that she didn't try a diplomatic approach, but I don't see how that's at all feasible considering who we're talking about. Not only does she show her hand politically with what her intentions were, but if she suggests this idea to her professor, she risks getting talked out of it, or reported by those who may fear the idea. She can't go to Dimitri because she knows he despises her (for reasons he has been misled by, mind you), and therefore must oppose him. The Dimitri of the BE timeline effectively embraces sadness only for Dedue, but not much else. Yet, Edelgard still feels compassion for him, and through this compassion, ends his suffering by ending his life, as he has become blinded by revenge. Unfortunately, Dimitri could have gotten his revenge if he sided with Edelgard and took down Those who Slither, (though this is just like how Edelgard could have taken Dimitri's hand at the end of the BL route...though knowing her ambition, she would never be satisfied with the outcome Dimitri produced).

8) Not really a point in favor of anyone, but the outcome of the game is largely obviously determined by who the professor guides. Edelgard is a tragic story of unchecked ambition if Byleth doesn't side with her. This is basically similar to Daenerys Targaryen of GoT. She's absolutely fortified in her own resolve; but without guidance she can achieve little. As she has the most clear ambition of the three House Leaders, having the guidance of the professor allows her to achieve quite a bit, when combined.

Side note: I will say, I realize there's no "canon route". However, the way that Edelgard and the Black Eagles route are being pushed (one example: Edelgard evidently already has a Figma in development), it makes it seem that the developers see her path that way; or more directly "canon". I'd argue that her path being the distinctly different one, regardless of animated cutscene quality, suggests this as well. In addition to the fact that she is the only other bearer of the Fire Emblem, along with Byleth, it certainly seems as though this may be the "canon path". I can't objectively prove it, but those are my thoughts.

Whew. A mouthful, lads. I love when a story gets my brain working this way lol. Thanks to anybody who reads all that garbage.

Gentlepanda Gentlepanda and Opossum Opossum , my fellow Black Eagle lads, did I miss anything?

I'm gonna assume this is an
Edelgard defense
post? If so I'll keep it in mind after I finish Blue Lions, still undecided if I'm going to do Golden Deer or Black Eagles next.

From what I've seen in Blue Lions, I have an idea of what that person's ideology/reasoning is, but there's some hangups I have that prevent me from seeing their actions as the right thing to do. Not trying to imply Dimitri's reasoning is perfect or the "right" way either, just that to me it's preferable. We'll see if that changes later though.

Gentlepanda

Meme Maestro
NNID
Panda
Switch FC
2255-1434-0335
That one had an attitude and a half, still don't really get why it was so pessimistic.
my favourite part of the baboom leak was where it acted like my perfect final roster was the worst thing to ever happen to smash

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
my favourite part of the baboom leak was where it acted like my perfect final roster was the worst thing to ever happen to smash
If Kasumi gets in though she deserves a far better codename than “Countess”

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Speaking of leaks and Smash things, I just remembered a really terrible idea some fans had that, if Snake didn't come back, to reuse his moveset and give it to a Primid.

Like, what the ****? LMAO

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom