• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Social Thread - Please Read Last Post

Status
Not open for further replies.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
I absolutely ****ed myself over today. I accidentally saved over my original P5 file. I was going to have each file be for a separate romance route, but now I want do a harem route. There is no turning back. .-.

I hate myself.
P5 aint that intense, man.

Just enjoy the experience.

Guh-Huzzah!

Totally humorous voice over and YouTube guy.
Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
I absolutely ****ed myself over today. I accidentally saved over my original P5 file. I was going to have each file be for a separate romance route, but now I want do a harem route. There is no turning back. .-.

I hate myself.
Don't beat yourself over it too much. Easy mistake to make.

Scribe

Sing, sing for ourselves alone.
Writing Team
NNID
KipShades
3DS FC
5241-1937-7022
I think these need to go hand in hand: He should wait a while before considering Sylux to make sure he properly references the MP4 that actually gets released and not the canceled one.
When I said "from an upcoming game" I meant more in the sense of characters debuting in an upcoming game. Sylux at least has Prime Hunters to go off of, but, say, a Three Houses character or a Gen 8 Pokemon don't really have previous appearances to reference.

BlueMonk

Smash Champion
I think we're gonna get bamboozled somehow. Big predictions:
  • If the DLC announcement is something big, it won't come during E3 proper but during a pre-E3 stream. They won't want DLC for a game from last year to distract from whatever upcoming titles they show off.
I've gotten the feeling that Nintendo wants to detach Ultimate from their normal directs this time around, mostly based on the way Joker wasn't featured in any directs. I think they may have realized after last E3 that non smash fans aren't going to appreciate having so much time devoted to smash in a normal direct and are going to keep it mostly separate from now on, sort of like how Pokemon does it.

ZaneHitsurugi

Smash Ace
New thread.
New territory to claim that Sanger Zonvolt will be the next dlc character.
All other characters go home, this is the sanger DLC zone. That's just how it is, I don't make the rules. Better luck next time....

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I just saw Detective Pikachu and John Wick 3 today - obviously, they're two VERY different movies, but I thoroughly enjoyed both of them. They both had some minor issues (I felt like some parts of Detective Pikachu would be tough to follow if you aren't familiar with Gen. 1, while I felt like one of the last fight scenes in John Wick 3 dragged on for a little too long), but it was a good way to spend a Sunday. (also, in a weird coincidence, two separate trailers that I saw, one before either movie, incorporated slowed down/creepy versions of "Somewhere Over the Rainbow" - Godzilla: King of the Monsters and Scary Stories to Tell In The Dark)

I also picked up two One Piece figurines, since they were at EB Games and being sold for 50% off. They were Franky and Brook figurines (roughly amiibo-sized) based on this colour spread. (which might contain spoilers if you haven't watched One Piece but are planning to - nothing major, but it does give away who joins the crew when at least one of them is a plot twist)

Last edited:

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
In general I still think it’s highly likely that DLC is at least mostly 3rd party.

It might just be me, but I see 3rd parties as far more conducive to the “biggest gaming crossover ever” idea, and characters from series like Fire Emblem and Pokémon, which already have a lot of content, don’t.

Then again, I mostly want 3rd party picks anyway. I wouldn’t hate first party picks. But I think the content itself would be more hype if big time icons make it in.

BlueMonk

Smash Champion
In general I still think it’s highly likely that DLC is at least mostly 3rd party.

It might just be me, but I see 3rd parties as far more conducive to the “biggest gaming crossover ever” idea, and characters from series like Fire Emblem and Pokémon, which already have a lot of content, don’t.

Then again, I mostly want 3rd party picks anyway. I wouldn’t hate first party picks. But I think the content itself would be more hype if big time icons make it in.
Third parties really are the future of Smash. There aren't many first party characters out there anymore that can really generate much hype for the general audience.

Shadowwolflink

Smash Master

I remember someone in an official capacity (maybe Reggie?) saying that all of the DLC characters are from series with no representation currently in Smash, and I can't think of any first party games of note with zero representation. So I'm firmly in the "all DLC is thirs party" camp.

Last edited:

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I remember someone in an official capacity (maybe Reggie?) saying that all of the DLC characters are from series with no representation currently in Smash, and I can't think of any first party games of note with zero representation. So I'm firmly in the "all DLC is thirs party" camp.
He didn’t outright say it was series that didn’t have representation, but more that hadn’t been in Smash before. It’s a potential connection to consider, and I think you might be right, but I wouldn’t count out particular characters just yet.

Although, I think spirits disconfirm anyway.

BlueMonk

Smash Champion
I believe he said that the characters would be "completely new to smash" or something like that, basically meaning that they would all be newcomers. What you're saying is probably going to end up being true though.

D

Deleted member

I think we're gonna get bamboozled somehow. Big predictions:
  • If the DLC announcement is something big, it won't come during E3 proper but during a pre-E3 stream. They won't want DLC for a game from last year to distract from whatever upcoming titles they show off.
  • If they do reveal any DLC characters during E3 proper, it'll probably be something that ties into an upcoming game - e.g. Sylux if we see any Prime 4 stuff, Chibi-Robo if that somehow gets a new game, Waddle Dee if they show off a new Kirby game, etc.
  • If we get any DLC characters from an upcoming game, it'll most likely be from a game that has already finished development. After the whole fiasco with Roy in Melee and Binding Blade's delays, Sakurai seems to have a hangup around making sure that if he's basing a character on an upcoming game, that game at least finishes development before the character appears in Smash.
  • If we get a third party character, they'll probably make it in more because of their legacy than because of some recent or upcoming title, so looking to those is probably a red herring.
Your first point is why think 2 dlc characters at e3 is still very up in the air. I think Nintendo thinks that by showing Smash, a year old game, at a 2019 conference, it suggests they don't really have anything else new lined up for the year which might cause people to lose faith a bit.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
New Pokemon can bring out the hype in everyone, easy.
Most, to be fair. Some like seeing unused series given more love than those with lots of content.

To the general public, absolutely. Casuals eat it up. Can't blame 'em. Awesome selling series. Sakurai knows it'll do well. He's set aside a spot for the latest Gen Pokemon twice in a row as is(though I forget if he said it was due to this factor).

IMO, I'd like to see something else, but I wouldn't mind Gen 3 getting a bit of love.

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
I don't expect to see any first party characters for DLC. Most of the notable and important ones got turned into an assist trophy, the ones who are left aren't the type of characters that can bring hype in a DLC. As for shill picks for future Nintendo games, I doubt it's gonna happen. From the statements that Nintendo made it seems they want to target third party characters that will bring a wide variety of different audiences. So a third party only DLC seems the most likely scenario.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I don't expect to see any first party characters for DLC. Most of the notable and important ones got turned into an assist trophy, the ones who are left aren't the type of characters that can bring hype in a DLC. As for shill picks for future Nintendo games, I doubt it's gonna happen. From the statements that Nintendo made it seems they want to target third party characters that will bring a wide variety of different audiences. So a third party only DLC seems the most likely scenario.
I honestly think the statement of wanting to reach a “variety of difference audiences” is pretty important too. When you think about the picks that are still out there, and the genres hey come from, you’re not only bringing franchises to Smash, but new fan bases and communities.

For example, Heihachi? There’s a chance Tekken players could want to try it out. He’s also different from the JRPG protagonist we have in Joker

Horror fans with Silent Hill or Resident Evil? Boom, now you have fans of those games into Smash.

I think those types of picks are the way to go. While I see how Layton or Phoenix Wright could hype up fans, I just don’t know that the audience size is entirely comparable.

I could also not know what i’m talking about.

Last edited:

Iridium

Smash Hero
I've still been thinking of a name change for here. Should I? Suggestions?

Basically. If they want to attract bigger audiences, third parties are just going to be more recognizable and iconic, so it really doesn't hurt to go there. I also still need Ryu Hayabusa, and I'm desperate. The only way a first party could get in, from what I imagine, would be promotion for a new title, but even that is unlikely.

Also, thanks for claiming the coveted post #666 all of a sudden.

Last edited:

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
I kind of forgot that FFXIII's soundtrack is the ****ing bomb.

Never even finished the game but I know the soundtrack front to back.

Anyway, I'm out for the night. I'll catch all you people later.

I've still been thinking of a name change for here. Should I? Suggestions?
What's wrong with Iridium? It's easy to remember, distinct and you've worn it for so long.

I like it.

Last edited:

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
Okay everyone. I'm starting up AMAs again today. Next up is Scoliosis Jones Scoliosis Jones then @Noipoi later this week, as long as they're both still interested.

Here's the current list of everyone who'd originally signed up and has not had an AMA yet. If you would like to be taken off the list or if you don't see yourself here and would like to be added, please let me know.

Sorry for the mass tagging.
Yup, I'm still in it :yoshi:

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
I ****ing hate my parents. I’m so sick of them and all their bull ****. Just because the law says I’m an adult, doesn’t mean I know how to be one, so stop ganging up on my for every little thing I do wrong!

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
That book of Sakurai's made me come back to the 5ch rumor with Velvet, Nakoruru, and RE(Leon, Chris, Jill or Nemesis IMO). Even the person himself that posted the rumor doesn't believe it(only Erdrick he believes). I think this would be a fine roster IMO. Fits in very well with what Reggie said.

That said though the ballot rumor attached to it implies that Snake, Sora, Phoenix Wright, and Bomberman(who were supposedly above Bayonetta) were the 3rd party characters that were rejected. Looking at the characters, they actually have plausible reasons to be rejected.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I ****ing hate my parents. I’m so sick of them and all their bull ****. Just because the law says I’m an adult, doesn’t mean I know how to be one, so stop ganging up on my for every little thing I do wrong!
I'm sorry to hear that. A lot of people can be overly rough. :c

You can always PM me for support.

BlueMonk

Smash Champion
That book of Sakurai's made me come back to the 5ch rumor with Velvet, Nakoruru, and RE(Leon, Chris, Jill or Nemesis IMO). Even the person himself that posted the rumor doesn't believe it(only Erdrick he believes). I think this would be a fine roster IMO. Fits in very well with what Reggie said.

That said though the ballot rumor attached to it implies that Snake, Sora, Phoenix Wright, and Bomberman(who were supposedly above Bayonetta) were the 3rd party characters that were rejected. Looking at the characters, they actually have plausible reasons to be rejected.
I'm very skeptical of that leak- if I remember correctly when the leaker posted their ballot results there were several franchises/characters that they "forgot" and added in later. I honestly really like the roster, very unorthodox and cool, but I can't see Velvet over Lloyd or Nakoruru over Terry (though nako isn't completely implausible, especially with the new SamSho).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom