• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Social Thread - Please Read Last Post

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hat N' Clogs

John Tavares is a Leaf
3DS FC
1650-2469-6836
Switch FC
SW-3519-9567-9870
It's fine. It is the people like those who give religion a bad name and turns it away. Especially those who mix it with money and politics.

I'll be honest to people, I'm fine with others believing in God and such, as you long as you respect my opinion for not believing in it (and remember that it effected the country I was born in, still to this day and even my life indirectly).

Thats my thought for the night.
That's alright. Yeah, I respect your decision lol

This chat was thankfully chill and refreshing.

Dutch Raikuna

Life's a sweet bitter beauty song.......
That's alright. Yeah, I respect your decision lol

This chat was thankfully chill and refreshing.
I'm glad. Gives me to learn more about people.

Speaking of seeing my reason I watched a documentary about an American film crew travelling to Northern Ireland during The Troubles in the early 80s. You can see religion and politics so intertwined.

To think my bio-parents grew up with it is insane and really makes me thankful I grew up in the post conflict era.

And by the way Hatster, I don't think you'll go down a bad path. Your a good example of taking the good meaning to heart instead of own interests.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Lol true.

On a more serious note though...

Many televangelists frustrate me for that reason: claiming they can cure people when they can't. It's fake. They are not God but make themselves out to be. And, it especially bothers me because these bad televangelists claim to be Christians but aren't. As a Christian myself, this exploitation of others angers me, and these frauds frustrate me as well, and it's often done for financial gain. They don't yield the spiritual fruit for me to have any confidence that they're actually legit.

"For the love of money is a root of all sorts of evil, and some by longing for it have wandered away from the faith and pierced themselves with many griefs. But flee from these things, you man of God, and pursue righteousness, godliness, faith, love, perseverance and gentleness. Fight the good fight of faith; take hold of the eternal life to which you were called, and you made the good confession in the presence of many witnesses." The ones who are true Christians will do what they can to deal kindly with everyone and be fair towards everyone, rather than being underhanded and shady as heck. The quote is also out of 1st Timothy 6, for reference. Is a person who claims that they're a Christian being kind and fair towards another?

What I want to make sure that I'm doing is treating everyone with respect and kindness, especially considering the landscape that these bad televangelists cause. These people are false, and should not be listened to by anybody.

I don't often discuss politics or religious points on here at all, and for good reason. However, this is one of the exceptions. I wanna make sure what I'm doing is right and fair toward everyone, and to stay on the wheel, especially. Am I living like Jesus; being kind and fair towards everyone? That's what I want to make sure I'm always doing.

Just discussing this hot button topic while also being vulnerable, I suppose.
As a Christian as well I have strong feelings on this too.

These same people are the ones who invite people on stage to be “healed” but if you look at real accounts the only ones brought up on stage are those who have no obvious sicknesses. Those that CAN be “healed” there’s cases where mothers and fathers have literally brought their sick and dying children with the faith that these people can heal them but are often put aside because the moderators know there is no feasible way and that the whole ordeal is just for show. People on crutches and in wheelchairs show up in hopes that they’ll be miraculously healed by their faith in these people only to be shoved in the back so the cameras can’t see them. They’re turned away any time they’re in line and the churches will even pay people who are more theatrical on stage than most. Shaking, talking in tongues, passing out, that sort of thing. All for financial gain. Bending and twisting the gospel so as to attract people with promises that cannot be fulfilled with the benefit of financial gain from them is something Satan taught. Literally. And it’s crazy just how many people follow these churches. It’s inexcusable .

Hat N' Clogs

John Tavares is a Leaf
3DS FC
1650-2469-6836
Switch FC
SW-3519-9567-9870
I'm glad. Gives me to learn more about people.

Speaking of seeing my reason I watched a documentary about an American film crew travelling to Northern Ireland during The Troubles in the early 80s. You can see religion and politics so intertwined.

To think my bio-parents grew up with it is insane and really makes me thankful I grew up in the post conflict era.

And by the way Hatster, I don't think you'll go down a bad path. Your a good example of taking the good meaning to heart instead of own interests.
Thank you. I appreciate the compliments; it means a lot to me.

The foundational attitude I always need to have as well is humility. If I'm learning to grow more in humility, I'll honor God more and be more fair and kind to others. But if my ego and ability to be arrogant or self-entitled increases, then the work that I'm called to do and need to do falls apart and I hurt people in the process. It's something I want to avoid completely.

As a Christian as well I have strong feelings on this too.

These same people are the ones who invite people on stage to be “healed” but if you look at real accounts the only ones brought up on stage are those who have no obvious sicknesses. Those that CAN be “healed” there’s cases where mothers and fathers have literally brought their sick and dying children with the faith that these people can heal them but are often put aside because the moderators know there is no feasible way and that the whole ordeal is just for show. People on crutches and in wheelchairs show up in hopes that they’ll be miraculously healed by their faith in these people only to be shoved in the back so the cameras can’t see them. They’re turned away any time they’re in line and the churches will even pay people who are more theatrical on stage than most. Shaking, talking in tongues, passing out, that sort of thing. All for financial gain. Bending and twisting the gospel so as to attract people with promises that cannot be fulfilled with the benefit of financial gain from them is something Satan taught. Literally. And it’s crazy just how many people follow these churches. It’s inexcusable .
Plenty of cases like that, and it's very, very sad. Which is why it's even more important for us to make sure that we are passionately against this terrible "prosperity" movement, as it's so commonly called. Also called the "prosperity gospel" in some circles.

Last edited:

Dutch Raikuna

Thank you. I appreciate the compliments; it means a lot to me.

The foundational attitude I always need to have as well is humility. If I'm learning to grow more in humility, I'll honor God more and be more fair and kind to others. But if my ego and ability to be arrogant or self-entitled increases, then the work that I'm called to do and need to do falls apart and I hurt people in the process. It's something I want to avoid completely.
Dude can you make that louder so that every egotistical person can hear it?

The one thing I have made sure that I am and to make the biggest difference between myself and people like my siblings is to be humble.

And the way you described it is perfect to those who are religious. You are in a way going against one of your religion's goals if you are not being humble or helping others etc.

And for people like myself who yes is atheist, my sense of humility comes from learning "The Pale Blue Dot" by Carl Sagan. That quote completely changed my view on life.

We are on a dot floating through space. This is where we make our stand for being us. There are dangers out there that we don't even know, let alone the ones we do. We best make the most of it.

And God or not, we'll never know were and what we are in the grand design of things.

"I like to think there is some kind of divine order in the universe. Every leaf on every tree in the world is unique. As far as we can see, there are other galaxies all slowly spinning, numerous as the leaves in the forest. In an infinite number of planets, there has to be an infinite number with life forms on them. Maybe this planet is one of the discarded mistakes. Maybe it's one of the victories. We'll never know."

Regardless it was nice to hear a perspective about it.

In short, don't think on a high horse and get off it. Religious or not and regardless of any situation, you should have no excuse to be humble.

Hat N' Clogs

John Tavares is a Leaf
3DS FC
1650-2469-6836
Switch FC
SW-3519-9567-9870
Dude can you make that louder so that every egotistical person can hear it?
I'll discuss it and make the humility point known of course, whenever it needs to be known, but I need to live it out even more as best as I can even moreso. When I mess up, I need to repent and recover.

Actions speak louder than words, after all.

Last edited:

Dutch Raikuna

I'll discuss it and make the humility point known of course, whenever it needs to be known, but I need to live it out even more as best as I can even moreso. When I mess up, I need to repent and recover.

Actions speak louder than words, after all.
Pretty much. For me it was seeing my siblings turn egotistical. He won't admit it but I know my older has called himself God's Gift so many times in the past not to much his "pursuit mode" lecturing and loudness. I think its gonna get him whacked hard by someone.

And honestly being humble is better. I'm willing to listen to people and take advice. I don't see myself as anything but human just making the most of the personal demons he has to face. And I enjoy the mundane things.

Yes I'm introverted but that's just actually me around my family. I prefer the slow pace.

Gonna head to bed but make what you will of the comment.

Last edited:

Hat N' Clogs

John Tavares is a Leaf
3DS FC
1650-2469-6836
Switch FC
SW-3519-9567-9870
Pretty much. For me it was seeing my siblings turn egotistical. He won't admit it but I know my older has called himself God's Gift so many times in the past not to much his "pursuit mode" lecturing and loudness. I think its gonna get him whacked hard by someone.

And honestly being humble is better. I'm willing to listen to people and take advice. I don't see myself as anything but human just making the most of the personal demons he has to face. And I enjoy the mundane things.

Yes I'm introverted but that's just actually me around my family. I prefer the slow pace.

Gonna head to bed but make what you will of the comment.
Humility's really special, and important. It helps us grow.

I'm not sure what else to say. But hey, good chat and sleep well.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
LETS ****ING GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

SHINY DRATINI!!!!!

I'm very happy.

TheBeastHimself

No time for tea, uncle, gotta capture the Avatar!
Has anyone else rewatched Avatar the Last Airbender/watched it for the first time now that it's on Netflix? What a show!

Hat N' Clogs

John Tavares is a Leaf
3DS FC
1650-2469-6836
Switch FC
SW-3519-9567-9870
Has anyone else rewatched Avatar the Last Airbender/watched it for the first time now that it's on Netflix? What a show!
I saw it with some college friends in 2018 and it was amazing. It became one of my favorite shows and I can see why many argue that it's the best animated show of all time, or one of the best animated at least.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
I just realized... you can play as the Dark Queen in the new Battletoads game as shown in a handful of clips. So why is there not 4-player couch co-op? It's just 3 players.

Not gonna lie, that is the one thing I am mildly dissapointed about with it so far. I was one of the people gunning for the introduction of a fourth toad to be player 4 since 4-player co-op is kind of... the standard these days. I wanted it to be another large, strength-class Toad like Pimple (I was gunning for it to be a female Toad named Blemish).

Would be cool if we get a Toad in smash to promote the new title. Probably Zitz or Rash.

Hat N' Clogs

John Tavares is a Leaf
3DS FC
1650-2469-6836
Switch FC
SW-3519-9567-9870
Discussion has ended, but what the frick is a televangelist???
Someone who gets on the tv and preaches. Normally from a Christian church context, but there are enough false Christian televangelists that the practice has been mired in controversy. Of course, some are legit Christians and chill people, but the negative shouts louder than the positive unfortunately, and there are enough bad televangelists to be a problem.

Last edited:

snowgolem

Smash Lord
NNID
None
Switch FC
SW-7635-8772-4887
Someone who gets on the tv and preaches. Normally from a Christian church context, but there are enough false Christian televangelists that the practice has been mired in controversy. Of course, some are legit Christians and chill people, but the negative shouts louder than the positive unfortunately, and there are enough bad televangelists to be a problem.
Let this fill you in...

You mean in like commercials or broadcasts? Because I’ve never encountered any of these in my entire life.
I more often get ads on YouTube asking me to sign Trump’s birthday card.

Shroob

Sup?
Who was that hack who would like, touch people's foreheads and they'd collapse because of his god powers or some crap?

It's people like that which give---well, I'd say Christians a bad name, but it's much more than a couple scam artist fast talkers anymore.

Hat N' Clogs

John Tavares is a Leaf
3DS FC
1650-2469-6836
Switch FC
SW-3519-9567-9870
You mean in like commercials or broadcasts? Because I’ve never encountered any of these in my entire life.
I more often get ads on YouTube asking me to sign Trump’s birthday card.
Broadcasts. TV shows. Specials. The like.

I'm a minister so I hear about these all the time.

Shroob Shroob OOOOOO, you're talking about Benny Hinn. He's one of the worst there is. And is a false Christian as well, because what he teaches doesn't align with the Bible much at all.

Even his nephew, Costi Hinn, who's actually a legit Christian, left his uncle's organization in disappointment. Costi made a good call, and is a well-grounded guy.

Last edited:

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
Discussion has ended, but what the frick is a televangelist???
I don't know much about it, but I think it's a church session, but on TV. The priests of these tend to be backwards (anti-LGBT and science and stuff) and generally don't practice what they preach.

Last edited:

Hat N' Clogs

John Tavares is a Leaf
3DS FC
1650-2469-6836
Switch FC
SW-3519-9567-9870
Religon itself isn't bad, but things get a bit dicey when Government and Religon mix which is sadly way more common than we want to believe.

Note: I'm a Christian.
This is one of the reasons why I'm in favor of the separation of church and state. Along with protection of the right to freely practice religion as well.

PeridotGX PeridotGX To an extent you're correct, but there's much more to it than what you're describing, along with containing details that you simply haven't experienced or come to understand.

Last edited:

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
Also, a thing to note about Televangelists is that despite preaching the word of God, which flat out tells them that people should not hoard their wealth and instead give a lot of it to those in need, hoard their wealth and do not give much to those in need.

I remember the Joel Olsteen and that one Hurricane controversy.

Shroob

Sup?
Also, a thing to note about Televangelists is that despite preaching the word of God, which flat out tells them that people should not hoard their wealth and instead give a lot of it to those in need, hoard their wealth and do not give much to those in need.

I remember the Joel Olsteen and that one Hurricane controversy.
It's kinda sad tbh.

Maybe I'm just living in a fantasy world, but you'd expect a stand-up man of God who preaches the good word to live an honest lifestyle, but like, every time you see a televangelist's home, it's a ****ing lavish mansion with like, 2 garages, 4 expensive as hell cars, etc.

snowgolem

Smash Lord
NNID
None
Switch FC
SW-7635-8772-4887
Another side note:
E1A607F0-8875-421F-8236-679B02023189.jpeg
all of the arms characters get a ton of cool, dynamic, renders
84F171BE-4F81-4B64-A21B-9BF871FC96CC.png
and dr coyle gets this crap.
this isn’t favoritism. it’s literally bullying.

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
It's kinda sad tbh.

Maybe I'm just living in a fantasy world, but you'd expect a stand-up man of God who preaches the good word to live an honest lifestyle, but like, every time you see a televangelist's home, it's a ****ing lavish mansion with like, 2 garages, 4 expensive as hell cars, etc.
Tbh, I never got that lifestyle.

Like, I can see the value in a nice house, but I fail to see the need for private jets, a massive Wisconin Dells-like Pool, 25 Lambos, etc.

I mean yeah, treat yourself every once in a whole, but sometimes, there's just too much.

Hat N' Clogs

John Tavares is a Leaf
3DS FC
1650-2469-6836
Switch FC
SW-3519-9567-9870
It's kinda sad tbh.

Thing is, Mr. Osteen most likely isn't a man of God which is a shame. Same with Benny Hinn.

But there are still true Christians out there thankfully, who do or did have humility. Such as Mr. Hinn's nephew, Costi Hinn. Or John Piper. or Tolkein, who wrote the Lord of the Rings series.

And as far as I'm concerned, with my own position as a minister, I'm content in my modest home with just me and my dog. Because my needs are provided for, and that's what matters.

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Kiddos.

Please tell me you know what Connect 4 is.

This may seem inconsequential, but this is important to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom