• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Social Thread - Please Read Last Post

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
They don't need to go to the police (for now) anyway, look at the impact their voices had on the perpetrators up to now.
Rumors make sense because of everything, but i think it's bad to believe them. I just hope if something like that would've happened, that any victimes 'd gained strength from people speaking out and seek support from everyone.
Anyway, to me it's a bit too much to think, I'dr ather see what comes out for real.
I'm aware they're simply rumours but they've been consistent in location and who's involved alongside how some of the people exposed always hung out in groups when traveling to Mexico, with the Mexican Smash scene having said some concerning things about how they behave towards young women in the area. I'm not sure to believe it entirely, but it's not entirely unfounded

The impact of other victims can be empowering, but it's also asking to potentially re-live that trauma. **** is absolutely terrified and victims often get ridiculed for speaking up at best

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
It's disgusting it took ZeRo 3 statements just to plainly admit to it without any fluff but honestly the first statement stunk upon further thought (and I feel **** for falling for it in the first place) and the second one was worse.

Statement 1 - It's manipulative bull****. Being thorough in trying to establish the layout of the house (which we now know isn't entirely true) and his flight reports didn't actually address the accusations. "I don't remember" is a convenient excuse that holds no water and "Oh I wouldn't do that" also turned out to be a lie. Her still being friendly also means nothing, victims process what happened differently and some, especially kids, often don't realise what happened.

Statement 2 - It's more of the same manipulative bull**** but he decided to do a JK Rowling and include his own story to garner sympathy. Coming forward about these things is important, but coming forward about them in the same statement you're "dealing" with more accusations is gross and intends to distract from the actual issue. That story doesn't forgive his gross behaviour.

Statement 3 - You would have saved a ton of time and effort if you just came forward and admitted it all in the first place. Since then your accusers got death threats and a sling of insults which is why people don't come forward in the first place.

ZeRo can **** off and never come back.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I'm aware they're simply rumours but they've been consistent in location and who's involved alongside how some of the people exposed always hung out in groups when traveling to Mexico, with the Mexican Smash scene having said some concerning things about how they behave towards young women in the area. I'm not sure to believe it entirely, but it's not entirely unfounded

The impact of other victims can be empowering, but it's also asking to potentially re-live that trauma. **** is absolutely terrified and victims often get ridiculed for speaking up at best
Well, I don't know enough about all that to say to much. I just think it's probably rumours coming up because of what the others did. Obviously there's reason to wonder what Sky knew, if he did, because of everything.

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
Well, cancel culture is supposed to be cruel. No mistakes allowed. So if they are cancelled, we will never know. but I suspect that they should never be able to hold a job again. Or anything for that matter. so. Suicide?
They need to be held accountable for what they've done, not be perfect ****ing paragons. Everybody makes mistakes or does **** they're not proud of, be it thoughts or deeds. However, the **** they did wasn't just a simple little oopsie; they manipulated, coerced, and/or abused people (younger kids!) to slake their lusts or project their faults onto, inflicting massive lasting harm that may not ever go away. If anything what they did was ****ing cruel, and being routed out of the community where they did this is a matter of course. They shouldn't get a free pass because of fame, ability, or whatever got them to the top of the pyramid; they most certainly shouldn't get a slap on the wrist and go about freely after what they've done. People need to be safe from this, have peace of mind; that can't achieved if these ghastly ******** are still around.

So don't be ridiculous with sentiments like "cancel culture" is cruel. You have no goddamn idea what cruelty is.

Smooth Criminal

Last edited:

snowgolem

Smash Lord
NNID
None
Switch FC
SW-7635-8772-4887
Of course I wake up to find out that Zero is confessing to the claims against him. So many people had told the artist girl that she was lying and doing it for attention, and I started to believe that way too.
I might as well go back to bed. Before, there weren’t any huge names that I know most smash fans have heard of out here. Somebody might not know who Nairo is. But Zero? No matter what I choose to do with my day, this is going to be on my mind for the entire duration of it.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
It's disgusting it took ZeRo 3 statements just to plainly admit to it without any fluff but honestly the first statement stunk upon further thought (and I feel **** for falling for it in the first place) and the second one was worse.

Statement 1 - It's manipulative bull****. Being thorough in trying to establish the layout of the house (which we now know isn't entirely true) and his flight reports didn't actually address the accusations. "I don't remember" is a convenient excuse that holds no water and "Oh I wouldn't do that" also turned out to be a lie. Her still being friendly also means nothing, victims process what happened differently and some, especially kids, often don't realise what happened.

Statement 2 - It's more of the same manipulative bull**** but he decided to do a JK Rowling and include his own story to garner sympathy. Coming forward about these things is important, but coming forward about them in the same statement you're "dealing" with more accusations is gross and intends to distract from the actual issue. That story doesn't forgive his gross behaviour.

Statement 3 - You would have saved a ton of time and effort if you just came forward and admitted it all in the first place. Since then your accusers got death threats and a sling of insults which is why people don't come forward in the first place.

At first it was hard to know what to think, when I wasn't even sure if it was really zero in those skype logs. I thought maybe it's just fake. But when he confirmed they'd tlaked together (talking about Katie), it all came crumbling down for me, In retrospect the first statement felt even worse than what i thought of it at first. Definitely a cop out.

I wouldnt call telling his story manipulation, but I do think it wasnt appropriate to share it there like that. He could've mentioned about it and that he'd make a seperate statement at some point to explain. I dont know, I understand why people would have trouble with him explaining all that, but at the same time I think it's good to reveal that as well. It would've helped if he didnt lie about what he did with katie tho. Because of that it feels like another sort of covering up.

The bad part of the second statement is that he said he was turned off when he learned her age, and tried to spin things that way, and that was just totally false, considering he came clean about the worst bit later.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium

What’s worse is that some people are defending him on Twitter. Truly disgusting, I say.

Last edited:

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
you know how someone said burn the competitive smash comminuty down and build a new one? Yeah, Just burn the competive community down and dont bother rebuilding it. Even Nintendo is appaled by this for gods sakes

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
you know how someone said burn the competitive smash comminuty down and build a new one? Yeah, Just burn the competive community down and dont bother rebuilding it. Even Nintendo is appaled by this for gods sakes
People still wanna play with others. Maybe you dont like the game as much, but that's not the case for everyone.
I play a lot less these days, but I still like it and wanna see people enjoy the community and the competitive side and more.

Hat N' Clogs

John Tavares is a Leaf
3DS FC
1650-2469-6836
Switch FC
SW-3519-9567-9870
People still wanna play with others. Maybe you dont like the game as much, but that's not the case for everyone.
I play a lot less these days, but I still like it and wanna see people enjoy the community and the competitive side and more.
One tactic that could be used is doing an alcohol ban from tournaments, entirely. A lot of this crap involves alcohol, and the more such a substance is prevented the better. There will still be creepers out there, but there will at least be hard, preventative measures in place to help in the effort of making the community safer. It's a no-brainer.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Of course there's gonna be blind defenders and white knights. In this kind of situation, it's basically inevitable.
Yeah, sad, but true. Not to offend anyone, but that is real ignorance, if you ask me.

With all this going on, if there is a Direct this month as rumored, it won’t be the same for Smash fans.

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
TBH it feels weird to stay around a site like this if you barely have any interest in Smash. You don't necessarily have to be competitive, but it is SMASHboards.
One tactic that could be used is doing an alcohol ban from tournaments, entirely. A lot of this crap involves alcohol, and the more such a substance is prevented the better. There will still be creepers out there, but there will at least be hard, preventative measures in place to help in the effort of making the community safer. It's a no-brainer.
Around here, the new venue is at a bar, while TOs statewide want to issue a ban on alcohol. I'll see how they compromise before I start going.

snowgolem

Smash Lord
NNID
None
Switch FC
SW-7635-8772-4887
Zero was a pretty cool guy too. Yes, what he did was terrible, but he was a fun guy and was relatively nice. It sucks that none of it matters once you’ve done something so stupid.
So, who’s next, 2020? RelaxAlax? Alpharad? Aaronitmar??

Alicorn

Cyber Bunny
Some even forgive Zero, even though what he did was wrong and inexcusable.
I read its harder for men. Who I'm guessing are the ones forgiving Zero) to empathize with the victim because they themselves don't know what's like to be in the victim's shoes. So I have to give Zero at least props for coming forward and accepting what he did was wrong but it sucks that he had to be so wishwashy about it before finally coming forward with the truth. Because if Zero didn't and denied the allegations against him completely to the bitter end. It would have made life that much harder for his victim.

drag0nscythe

Smash Master
It's just about taking away their power, their platforms, not cancelling them as persons, heh.
I can agree. But when it is complicated, it is always worrying. Take away their power. Take away their status. But i always wonder how far is to far.

But given how most have admitted to their crimes, i think the court of law needa to step in.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
The events themselves have a lot of people and I doubt, especially now, that someone would get away with something there in front of people.
One issue is the after parties and interactiuons where kids are unsupervised with adults drinking around them or being together alone. imo

Another issue (like in ZerRo's case, who doesnt party), is the fame getting to some of people's heads, and using that to take advantage. People need to realize they're people (not celebrities), and whoever has issues (like zero) shouldnt be treated like they can do no wrong. That only means awareness on the part of the community, which I guess is raising now.

Last edited:

snowgolem

Smash Lord
NNID
None
Switch FC
SW-7635-8772-4887
I read its harder for men. Who I'm guessing are the ones forgiving Zero) to empathize with the victim because they themselves don't know what's like to be in the victim's shoes. So I have to give Zero at least props for coming forward and accepting what he did was wrong but it sucks that he had to be so wishwashy about it before finally coming forward with the truth. Because if Zero didn't and denied the allegations against him completely to the bitter end. It would have made life that much harder for his victim.
I mean, a lot of females don’t know what it’s like to be in the victim’s shoes either. Yes, it is a fact that most victims are females. That doesn’t mean most females are victims. Most are like the majority of men who live their happy little lives without something like this happening.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
It makes sense why it is harder for men. It doesn't change how horrible it is that happened, but eh, difficulty still exists. If we're lucky, it could take some time for those who forgive to ultimately realize how bad it was. Sadly, though, some will not.

I mean, a lot of females don’t know what it’s like to be in the victim’s shoes either. Yes, it is a fact that most victims are females. That doesn’t mean most females are victims. Most are like the majority of men who live their happy little lives without something like this happening.
Still, what snowgolem said was valid.

Last edited:

Dutch Raikuna

Life's a sweet bitter beauty song.......
I'm in the crowd of staying this one out. Too much **** to condense.

Just gonna see here over the next few days for my AMA and a post but hoping for this to die down.

Hat N' Clogs

John Tavares is a Leaf
3DS FC
1650-2469-6836
Switch FC
SW-3519-9567-9870
I'm in the crowd of staying this one out. Too much **** to condense.

Just gonna see here over the next few days for my AMA and a post but hoping for this to die down.
That's alright, Irepan. There's a lotta crap going on right now in the community. Go at it at your own pace.

snowgolem

Smash Lord
NNID
None
Switch FC
SW-7635-8772-4887
Yesterday, I was trying to distract myself from all of this. I slept for around 5 hours and guess what happens?
Now I find myself unable to distract myself in fear that if I turn away again something similar will happen.

Last edited:

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
I know that I said I didn't care much for too many Smash professionals and content creators, but ZeRo was definitely an exception and he was probably my main source of Smash content, so I'm honestly quite hurt about the whole situation. Such a shame that he's guilty and it took him forever to actually admit to his mistakes.

Might need to take a break after all this.

D

Deleted member

I"m gonna follow Dutch Raikuna Dutch Raikuna 's idea and just stick here until my AMA comes out.

Needless to say a lot of events involving my personal life and my past (which I want to move away from) have gotten me seriously stressed and unable to sleep for five days.
I have changed a lot through the years, and nowadays I'm happy about the way I currently am as I've done a lot of great stuff for the people around me which family members, teachers and even partners kept claiming for years I would never be able to. And as such I just wish to move away from all my fears from the past and just be happy and proud of the person who I am today.

So yeah, when my AMA drops and the moment It ends, I will likely take a break not just for Smashboards but also the internet as a whole to spend more time with my IRL friends and just have the needed time out I deserve after going through so much for these past months.

I just hope ya'll understand, as the fact I wouldn't be where I am today without many of you makes me wish the best for all and that many will value me for who I am today rather than the person who I was years ago (as my family sadly does).

Last edited by a moderator:

drag0nscythe

Smash Master
In stressful times, it is important to take care of mental health. Do something that makes you happy.

Last edited:

PK-remling Fire

Smash Ace
I don't really follow the competitive scene or its top players, but it does boggle the mind how many people can still defend a lot of these offending parties, especially zero. These people aren't your friends, you don't know what they do behind closed doors.

I see the argument of "Zero is only human, he made mistakes too!" That might be the case, but he does need to be held to a higher standard considering that his platform gives him a ton of influence over a largely underage audience. Even if they're charismatic and good at pressing buttons, people with that kind of position needs to be looked at with a special kind of critical lens, since they arguably have the most potential to do harm to their target audience.

I don't really follow these people too much so these allegations don't hurt my enjoyment of the game itself. But yeah, good luck getting Nintendo to acknowledge the competitive community now, as they were only starting to warm up to the community before all this went down.

Dutch Raikuna

Life's a sweet bitter beauty song.......
I know that I said I didn't care much for too many Smash professionals and content creators, but ZeRo was definitely an exception and he was probably my main source of Smash content, so I'm honestly quite hurt about the whole situation. Such a shame that he's guilty and it took him forever to actually admit to his mistakes.

Might need to take a break after all this.
I've mentioned it to @JDCabrera earlier but I'm all for adding people to the Discord group in which me and him are on like a few of yous. Doors always open.

Like honestly I don't care for competitive Smash but having read from what I gather, it's ****ed.
However and no offence to the crowd here though but it's not really my problem. I see why people are pissed but that's really it.

If it was a high level political leader of a major country or company then I might care. Its not really seismic to me if its a competitor at Smash on a personal level.

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
I went to Subway. When I got home taking my sandwich out, half of it fell making a mess.

What a waste of a good sandwich...-_-

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
I know it is. but that is not cancel culture.
I usually wait to see what happens. And if people do learn from their mistakes, I will continue to watch. But that is not what Cancel Culture is about. It is about finding one mistake or disagreement. Cancel everything about them and move on. No 2nd chances.
I too hate it when I get cancelled for the small mistake of Pedophilia and Sexual Abuse.

Don't you just hate when that happens?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I would like to share some cool news involving the enviroment in the Canary Islands, just to help bring some light to this thread during such tough times.

Well, for starters there seem to currently be less than 30 active cases of Covid-19 in Gran Canaria, which means the virus is about to get basically controlled well enough here. Which is quite cool. There have not been deads for the virus since 20 days.

Another thing is that the Canary Islands goverment is making a lot of laws to in quote ensure that the Canary Islands lack any kind of waste problem for the enviroment.
They have starting to make smoking on the beach illegal to ensure nobody throws ciggarettes on the sand or the sea, with penalties going to decently sized numbers.
They are also going to prohibite the use of 1-use only plastics at any local or work enviroment, as those tend to be some of the most thrown kinds of plastic in my island.

While I could say from experience the Canary Islands goverment isn't perfect, I'm just happy that they are pushing so hard for the enviroment. I wish more goverments did It honestly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom