• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Social Thread - Please Read Last Post

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shroob

Sup?
Lemme just say

As someone who loves Yoshi's Island on the SNES

1590114717714.png

**** this level lol

KillerCage

Smash Master
What would you have gone with?
I would have gone with Incineroar's tagline: {blank} Enters the Ring!
Since that's no longer an option, I struggled coming up with alternate taglines.
Here is one: Little Mac Joins the Big Leagues!
Here's another: Little Mac Goes in for the Knockout!

Shroob

Sup?
I would have gone with Incineroar's tagline: {blank} Enters the Ring!
Since that's no longer an option, I struggled coming up with alternate taglines.
Here is one: Little Mac Joins the Big Leagues!
Here's another: Little Mac Goes in for the Knockout!
Little Mac Knocks Out the Competition!

Little Mac Rings the Bell!

Little Mac Defends His Title!

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
I still like the game, but man wouldn't it be nice to have a real overworld for once (and maybe a 3D Yoshi game while they're at it). Woolly World had something in the ballpark of that with a free roaming Yosh, but ultimately it was still a world map :yoshi:
Y'know, when I was younger - maybe around 7 or something, idk, it wasn't too long before Galaxy - I remember playing one of those game-things at a Wal-mart, but only for a few moments (might not have even played it, probably just viewed) and I swear my memory is telling me there was a 3D Yoshi game on it. I just remember some brown cave-area underground with some light coming from a torch or something on the wall or maybe elsewhere, graphics seemed Mario-esque, and I swear the player-character was Yoshi with his arms swaying in his idle, though I guess it could've been some other green character...but I don't think it was Luigi or any human...

There's a good chance my brain just confused stuff, however. I feel like I thought about it sometime not long after that, though, maybe after playing or seeing Galaxy. maybe it was even a dream, but it sure doesn't really feel like it was...

Of course, I guess this info is useless - no fully-3D Yoshi game has been released, but I guess I used to wonder if it was some canceled game or something, if it's not just my mind having memory issues...

Last edited:

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
Well you see, 2D Yoshi isn't just Mario replaced with a different character. Levels are designed differently and are generally longer and have a heavy focus on collectibles. Aside from the collectibles, they're more in line with Kirby games. That's why I chose those options for 3D, they seem more in line with the spirit of Yoshi rather than SM64, SMG and so on :yoshi:
I understand that, I didn’t mean to make it sound that simple. Though with your mention of collectibles, I wonder if a 3D open world Yoshi would work as a Banjo-Kazooie style collectathon.

Shroob

Sup?
I understand that, I didn’t mean to make it sound that simple. Though with your mention of collectibles, I wonder if a 3D open world Yoshi would work as a Banjo-Kazooie style collectathon.
Luckily, we have a KnockoffPrototype to test that out.

1590115750510.png

Yes I know it started life as a Yoshi game

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
Well considering the original Donkey Kong Countries had some minor collectathon elements but the 3D follow-up went insane with how much to collect, it's a possibility :yoshi:

Shroob

Sup?
Yeah, maybe not have DK64 levels of collecting...
I still stand by that DK64 would be a gorillion times more fun if it had an on-demand Kong switch.

It'd be bunches more manageable, but as it is, it's Krool to the player to have to do soo much backtracking.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
I do not like the bechdel test. As both a writer and a woman it is incredibly reductive.
I still stand by that DK64 would be a gorillion times more fun if it had an on-demand Kong switch.

It'd be bunches more manageable, but as it is, it's Krool to the player to have to do soo much backtracking.
How would that work? Some sort of Kong-Omnitrix?

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
I do not like the bechdel test. As both a writer and a woman it is incredibly reductive.

How would that work? Some sort of Kong-Omnitrix?
I know there's a mod that KazeEmanuar made that just has an invisible tag barrel float over your head. It's a bit buggy since DK64 seems to be held together with string, but it's no big deal.

It really wouldn't be any stranger than how in the 2D games, if your Kong gets hit, your buddy runs off, only to find them moments later trapped in a barrel.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
I know there's a mod that KazeEmanuar made that just has an invisible tag barrel float over your head. It's a bit buggy since DK64 seems to be held together with string, but it's no big deal.

It really wouldn't be any stranger than how in the 2D games, if your Kong gets hit, your buddy runs off, only to find them moments later trapped in a barrel.
I suppose.... I’m just not that big a fan of hammerspace. It feels..... lazy.

Shroob

Sup?
I suppose.... I’m just not that big a fan of hammerspace. It feels..... lazy.
Could just have them run on screen and like, do a hand slap like they do in DKC when you swap between Diddy and Donkey.

Honestly, with an on-demand swap, DK64 actually feels rather fun and not tedious at all, IMO at least.

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
Agreed. Reductivism is extremely common among those that wish to be politically active but haven't sufficiently studied political theory.
It is also a way to use gay characters as a way to market wokeness, but if you noticed, almost no major film has explicit homosexuality (only implied) so that they can still market their films in China, where homosexuality is still culturally frowned upon.

Last edited:

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Don’t look to it as a test of quality. A lot of bad movies have passed it but a ton of good movies haven’t.
Still incredibly frustrating when I took my lgbt lives and gender studies classes in college and every time a movie was brought up the professor or a student would point out if it passes it or not Like it was a genuine critique. As a writer, I am not a fan of rules and guidelines for my stories. It’s why I have such a problem writing with prompts, and although almost every character I create eventually ends up as some form of woman (I struggle with creating non-token make characters, ironically), if you demand that I have to write in a conversation like that if becomes the single last thing I will ever want to do and I will aggressively fight against it. Happens every time someone puts any kind of limit on my creativity.

Shroob

Sup?
Still

Nothing will fix Banjo-Tooie unless you shrink all the maps down.

I like a lot of the things in Tooie, but, bigger isn't always better. When I'm spending most of my time using Talon Trot just because the levels are soo huge with, frankly, not a whole lot to do in them, it's tedious.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Could just have them run on screen and like, do a hand slap like they do in DKC when you swap between Diddy and Donkey.

Honestly, with an on-demand swap, DK64 actually feels rather fun and not tedious at all, IMO at least.
I don’t doubt that. I just don’t want the method of doing it to feel.... gamey? Is that the right word? Maybe if it was a whistle or something..... Just a way for it to be natural and not “for his side b Crash pulls a polar bear out of thin air”.
Agreed. Reductivism is extremely common among those that wish to be politically active but haven't sufficiently studied political theory.
It is also a way to use gay characters as a way to market wokeness, but if you noticed, almost no major film has explicit homosexuality (only implied) so that they can still market their films in China, where homosexuality is still culturally frowned upon.
Honestly, I would rather let my film get banned in China. That kind of act of protest could get the studio “woke points” and publicity too. Especially because another type of character I have trouble writing for is a straight one.

It’s so weird. Remember how in the 80s and 90s “girl” was considered a personality trait? That’s how I am with “boy” and “straight”. I know that’s just as horrible and I’m trying to train myself to reduce that prejudice. It’s just.... not a perspective I can easily place myself in. Heck, I couldn’t even understand it when I was technically living it.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
I don’t doubt that. I just don’t want the meat god of doing it to feel.... gamey? Is that the right word? Maybe if it was a whistle or something..... Just a way for it to be natural and not “for his side b Crash pulls a polar bear out of thin air”.

Honestly, I would rather let my film get banned in China. That kind of act of protest could get the studio “woke points” and publicity too. Especially because another type of character I have trouble writing for is a straight one.

It’s so weird. Remember how in the 80s and 90s “girl” was considered a personality trait? That’s how I am with “boy” and “straight”. I know that’s just as horrible and I’m trying to train myself to reduce that prejudice. It’s just.... not a perspective I can easily place myself in. Heck, I couldn’t even understand it when I was technically living it.
.........meat.......god?

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Still

Nothing will fix Banjo-Tooie unless you shrink all the maps down.

I like a lot of the things in Tooie, but, bigger isn't always better. When I'm spending most of my time using Talon Trot just because the levels are soo huge with, frankly, not a whole lot to do in them, it's tedious.
I played if with a guide and I have no shame. Made my experience 10 times more fun (even if I didn’t get the last dozen jiggies) There should have been more levels, not bigger ones. A map with objective markers would be helpful though if altering the level design is out of the question.

Shroob

Sup?
I played if with a guide and I have no shame. Made my experience 10 times more fun (even if I didn’t get the last dozen jiggies) There should have been more levels, not bigger ones. A map with objective markers would be helpful though if altering the level design is out of the question.
I don't think anyone would blame you for playing with a guide.

Those levels are ****ing massive.

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
Still incredibly frustrating when I took my lgbt lives and gender studies classes in college and every time a movie was brought up the professor or a student would point out if it passes it or not Like it was a genuine critique. As a writer, I am not a fan of rules and guidelines for my stories. It’s why I have such a problem writing with prompts, and although almost every character I create eventually ends up as some form of woman (I struggle with creating non-token make characters, ironically), if you demand that I have to write in a conversation like that if becomes the single last thing I will ever want to do and I will aggressively fight against it. Happens every time someone puts any kind of limit on my creativity.
I too write stories, and since I think of them in a very futuristic setting, gender is almost completely ignored when creating characters, as gender expectations will be very different 1,000 years from now.
Hell, just yesterday I saw someone argue that Senran Kagura is sexist because of the focus on male sexuality, but I always argue that sexY ≠ sexIST. Video games are entertainment, and if something provokes a male power fantasy, that's fine.
It kind of reminds me of Anita Sarkeezian's critique of women's portrayal in video games. Yes, there are clear tropes, but for old franchises like Mario, it is way too reductive to say that a damsel in distress is sexist. Rather, the culture of the 80s was sexist, as video games were marketed as toys back then, and in the West, toys were separated into boy's and girl's toys. It was ultimately a coin flip that led to video games being marketed mostly to boys.
To me, the answer is not changing what's already around, but to keep multiple demographics in mind in the future. Some games like Senran Kagura will always appeal to male power fantasies, and that's ok. Instead of removing that, we should make MORE games that are targeted for other demographics.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
I don't think anyone would blame you for playing with a guide.

Those levels are ****ing massive.
You never know. Some people insist that you haven’t actually beaten a game unless you use no guides and play on an actual CRT on original hardware and somehow go back in time to the 90s.

I frequently use the NES/SNES Online rewind function and I’m PROUD.

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
No, no this is better. Meat god is absolutely perfect.
Can I have my Beyond Meat™ Vegan God to worship?

I don’t doubt that. I just don’t want the method of doing it to feel.... gamey? Is that the right word? Maybe if it was a whistle or something..... Just a way for it to be natural and not “for his side b Crash pulls a polar bear out of thin air”.

Money talks, and China is full of money.
But a Smash Bros. social thread is probably not the best place for me to start explaining the problems with Capitalism.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
I too write stories, and since I think of them in a very futuristic setting, gender is almost completely ignored when creating characters, as gender expectations will be very different 1,000 years from now.
Hell, just yesterday I saw someone argue that Senran Kagura is sexist because of the focus on male sexuality, but I always argue that sexY ≠ sexIST. Video games are entertainment, and if something provokes a male power fantasy, that's fine.
It kind of reminds me of Anita Sarkeezian's critique of women's portrayal in video games. Yes, there are clear tropes, but for old franchises like Mario, it is way too reductive to say that a damsel in distress is sexist. Rather, the culture of the 80s was sexist, as video games were marketed as toys back then, and in the West, toys were separated into boy's and girl's toys. It was ultimately a coin flip that led to video games being marketed mostly to boys.
To me, the answer is not changing what's already around, but to keep multiple demographics in mind in the future. Some games like Senran Kagura will always appeal to male power fantasies, and that's ok. Instead of removing that, we should make MORE games that are targeted for other demographics.
True. But theirs nothing wrong with changing a characters race or sexuality every once and a while just to give a preexisting franchise more flavor without overbloating it.

Also, peach is better when she’s playable and she should be as much of a mainstay player character as Mario and Luigi. Would force Nintendo to be way more creative.
No, no this is better. Meat god is absolutely perfect.
It sounds too.... suggestive.

Shroob

Sup?
True. But theirs nothing wrong with changing a characters race or sexuality every once and a while just to give a preexisting franchise more flavor without overbloating it.

Also, peach is better when she’s playable and she should be as much of a mainstay player character as Mario and Luigi. Would force Nintendo to be way more creative.

It sounds too.... suggestive.
Snake no, no gutter mind, you were doing soo good.

Last edited:

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Can I have my Beyond Meat™ Vegan God to worship?

Money talks, and China is full of money.
But a Smash Bros. social thread is probably not the best place for me to start explaining the problems with Capitalism.
Like I said. It’s all about figuring out the right way to pitch something and making them think it was their idea. Anyone who wants to make movies needs to read books on salesmanship if they wanna get buy. Because in that moment, you are selling a product.

Shroob

Sup?
Like I said. It’s all about figuring out the right way to pitch something and making them think it was their idea. Anyone who wants to make movies needs to read books on salesmanship if they wanna get buy. Because in that moment, you are selling a product.
Yeah, but it's like Ben says, China is a massive market. We don't realize it, but China makes a MASSIVE profit for Hollywood, that's why movie writers are soo hesitant to do stuff like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom