• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Social Thread - Please Read Last Post

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
The complaints about SwSh's graphics is probably the stupidest thing that's come out of the National Dex controversy.

1. The objects that people are pointing out as bad are really insignificant. It'd be one thing if the Pokemon and characters looked bad, but we're talking about trees and rocks.
  2. The graphics have never been impressive, so I don't know why people thought Game Freak would jump from blocky, blurry 3DS models to BotW quality.
  3. Practically no one cared about the graphics in previous games. Literally the only reason this is getting brought up is because people want to nitpick every flaw in SwSh in order to validate their beliefs that Game Freak hasn't done anything with the time they saved from not bringing back the National Dex.

Iridium

Smash Hero
I can't wait until the Fighters Pass ends whenever, and this is the next DLC character we get after it.

D

Deleted member

You just gotta ignore it.

At first it made me really sad, then I realized I shouldn’t care about the dumb opinions of people who spend their time on reddit.
Dunno about that. Going into extremes, no matter which side, isn't really a good attitude to have, I think. People who dismiss criticism with "just don't buy it" are just as bad as those going "worst thing ever". The issue, as I see it, is that most people, especially in the Pokemon fandom, don't really express themselves in a civil matter and are very aggressive with their opinions.

Noipoi

Howdy!
The complaints about SwSh's graphics is probably the stupidest thing that's come out of the National Dex controversy.

1. The objects that people are pointing out as bad are really insignificant. It'd be one thing if the Pokemon and characters looked bad, but we're talking about trees and rocks.
  2. The graphics have never been impressive, so I don't know why people thought Game Freak would jump from blocky, blurry 3DS models to BotW quality.
  3. Practically no one cared about the graphics in previous games. Literally the only reason this is getting brought up is because people want to nitpick every flaw in SwSh in order to validate their beliefs that Game Freak hasn't done anything with the time they saved from not bringing back the National Dex.
Ehhhh I agree with the first two, but to be fair graphics were stated as a reason for cutting Pokémon. It makes sense that they’d be criticized more.

Dunno about that. Going into extremes, no matter which side, isn't really a good attitude to have, I think. People who dismiss criticism with "just don't buy it" are just as bad as those going "worst thing ever". The issue, as I see it, is that most people, especially in the Pokemon fandom, don't really express themselves in a civil matter and are very aggressive with their opinions.
The hardcore defenders who think the game can do no wrong are dumb too.

They’re just not as mean about it.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend

Not to mention the textures look high quality in sone of the recent trailers, like the Pokémon Center’s wood and stuff. I understand people getting mad when animations were used as an excuse to cut ‘mons though, since past moves like Double Kick still get a generic hop or something, and admittedly the Wingull was kinda weird I suppose, though they should only flap their wings in place as much as in Black/White when not moving around, though.

This is the same problem with some people who are against Steve, not to mention they tend to ignore your points about official stuff and everything since the points go against/defeat theirs or they claim “it doesn’t matter.” There are some reasonable people but the rest are just plain annoying jerks.

In reality, their stupid hatred doesn’t matter, not to mention it’s a minority and it’s pretty silly to be so hateful and incredibly against a videogame character’s fans to want said videogame character in a videogame crossover videogame.

As for Pokémon I only understand the people getting mad about how GameFreak used animations as an excuse to cut ‘mons.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

You're missing the point here. People are complaining about the graphics because said graphics are stated as the reason for Pokemon being cut. This has nothing to do with being nitpicky, this is absolutely justified in calling them out. Don't get me, I'm fairly indifferent to SwSh, last game I bought new was Y, but just because some people are admittedly nitpicking at this point, it doesn't mean there isn't valid criticism to be had either.

Guh-Huzzah!

Totally humorous voice over and YouTube guy.
Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
Sw/Sh’s dex cut never bothered me. I’ll still enjoy it. Maybe that’s just because I view most Pokémon as equal, though, and only one I really really like will probably be cut.

R.I.P. Shiny Genesect. I’ll miss you.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

The hardcore defenders who think the game can do no wrong are dumb too.

They’re just not as mean about it.
Eh, I've seen terrible people on both sides, there really aren't any winners here. Though I do agree that the detractors are a bit worse, simply on the fact they try to hijack every announcement the official Twitter account makes. Unless they've calmed down with that by now? I dunno.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
You're missing the point here. People are complaining about the graphics because said graphics are stated as the reason for Pokemon being cut. This has nothing to do with being nitpicky, this is absolutely justified in calling them out. Don't get me, I'm fairly indifferent to SwSh, last game I bought new was Y, but just because some people are admittedly nitpicking at this point, it doesn't mean there isn't valid criticism to be had either.
They haven't been entirely truthful about the models, but no matter how you look at it, the graphics are a huge improvement for them. They've been working on handheld games for over 20 years. Their idea of improved graphics might be very different from what fans are thinking of.

Regardless of excuse Game Freak used for the National Dex though, fans were gonna react the same way. They could've claimed that new modes and features was the reason why the National Dex was cut, and fans still would've complained about curry being the reason why they can't transfer their Greninja.

Last edited:

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
More talk of the National Dex?

Look, if you ask me, I think there are valid opinions on both sides. Regardless of it bothering you or not, there are valid points.

I would say, however, that saying people are objectively wrong for thinking something isn’t valid. Well, unless their opinions are based on falsehoods then they’re objectively incorrect.

At the end of the day, while I do think being unhappy about the National Dex is valid, I think people on both sides take things a wee bit too far. Like, gaming is my hobby. It’s something I’ll probably always do unless I get really bad arthritis or something that limits me from enjoyment. I think folks have to just remember that it’s a video game, something we enjoy, and that it’s ok for people to think differently about i

People shouldn’t be shamed for buying the Pokémon games. But people shouldn’t be shamed for not buying them either. Though, I do wonder, not even throwing shade here, how many folks will post about how angry they are about National Dex stuff, and then buy the games anyway.

Not to say everybody who voices that opinion will end up buying it. But I’m curious.

Edit: I will say that there are some Pokémon cuts that would make me salty. If they axe Greninja, Garchomp, or other popular picks I think that’s actually worse.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Welp

I think my computer’s dying. After only two years lmaoooo

;-;

Noipoi

Howdy!
More talk of the National Dex?

Look, if you ask me, I think there are valid opinions on both sides. Regardless of it bothering you or not, there are valid points.

I would say, however, that saying people are objectively wrong for thinking something isn’t valid. Well, unless their opinions are based on falsehoods then they’re objectively incorrect.

At the end of the day, while I do think being unhappy about the National Dex is valid, I think people on both sides take things a wee bit too far. Like, gaming is my hobby. It’s something I’ll probably always do unless I get really bad arthritis or something that limits me from enjoyment. I think folks have to just remember that it’s a video game, something we enjoy, and that it’s ok for people to think differently.

People shouldn’t be shamed for buying the Pokémon games. But people shouldn’t be shamed for not buying them either. Though, I do wonder, not even throwing shade here, how many folks will post about how angry they are about National Dex stuff, and then buy the games anyway.

Not to say everybody who voices that opinion will end up buying it. But I’m curious.
In other words

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
Not having the National Dex never angered me. I don't really trade with others and I haven't caught 'em all since Ruby.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
Ive seen a lotta stupid things come from this lmao
Yeah, the fact that people were scapegoating the Curry feature of all things was a good example of how bad it could get. Whether you're interested in it or not, I doubt removing it would've allowed for porting any number of Pokémon.

Edit: I will say it's understandable to be disappointed about the National Dex issue, but you can't look to blame something for it either. Whether it's Curry, Little Town Hero, or otherwise their existence had no effect on whether certain Pokémon could come back or not, and placing your frustrations on something that doesn't deserve it is a not a good way of venting your criticisms.
How popular is Dovahkiin in Japan? Sakurai's already surprised us with picks like:ultjoker:and Terry. Not too out of the question.

Another reason to possibility even expect Chosen Undead as the Namco rep.
I'm not sure about the character, but Skyrim did decently well there. It sold over 100K when it first came out in 2011, and its gameplay has influenced some developers such as Nintendo's own BotW. So they probably would still get some excitement over there, just not to the level that someone like Joker would.

Last edited:

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
I think disliking “dexit” and other stuff is perfectly valid, plus with the stuff GameFreak said, it’s just when it gets to stuff like saying the game has N64 textures based on a couple of trees in a demo while the recent trailers seemed to have very good textures, and of course the stupid and hateful arguing.

Just like I don’t care if people dislike Steve, it’s just when it gets to “I can’t believe there are Steve fans and that they want Minecraft (a game for all ages) in my big boy Smash game (another game for all ages) that I make look like it’s for man babies only” levels or when someone seems to keep ignoring what you’re saying or twisting it. I may have been hateful sometimes myself but it sure doesn’t help with all the jerks that seem to utterly hate you and your favorite character’s guts while they’re even hypocrites sometimes.

Last edited:

Shyy_Guy595

Smash Champion
Tl;dr: Everyone is valid unless you're objectively incorrect based on an flawed/false foundation or if what you're saying is harmful toward others.

Think that is a good summation.

Kirby Dragons

Smash Hero
I've never transferred any Pokémon, so I can't actually say I miss the National Dex. And since a lot of my favorite Pokémon are already confirmed for Galar, I can't say I need or want the National Dex either.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Occasionally, there are a few Dexit pics on Twitter from both sides that make me smile.

This one always gets me.

EEh2OTqWkAAEUER.jpeg.jpg

(Since it's happened before, let me just say that I'm not purposely trying to offend any pro-Dexers. You're free to share similar jokes if you have any.

D

Deleted member

Regarding characters that are more popular in the West. I find it funny that people normally downplay characters that are unknown in the west but complain when other people downplay western characters that are not popular in other parts of the world.

Last edited by a moderator:

Shyy_Guy595

Smash Champion
Underrated human feature?

The ability their voice has to shift to a softer tone. Hell, the voice in general and the sheer range it can have.

Noipoi

Howdy!

The ability their voice has to shift to a softer tone. Hell, the voice in general and the sheer range it can have.

The fact that both your legs grow at the same time and at the same rate.

It’d get really awkward if they didn’t.

D

Deleted member

There are only two things that made me legitimately angry about the whole Pokemon incident, them claiming they're redoing every model from scratch, which is a bold faced lie (unless it's a mistranslation) and the way it was announced that they're cutting Pokemon. It felt kinda scummy the way it was hidden in a post direct Treehouse stream.

Raxxel

Hipster Heavyweight Champ
NNID
RaxxelAintHappy
3DS FC
2921-9637-8816
Staying in Italy is nice, but there is little to do in my downtime. I have no good connection with my Switch, so I've just been fighting CPUs and labbing tech for hours.

Did you know that at a certain percent, Banjo can use the first hit of uair to kill confirm into utilt if he's directly adjacent to the opponent?
download (15).jpeg

Well, in the famous words of classic rapper Macklemore, "if you don't know, now you know, friendo." Use this knowledge wisely.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom