• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Social Thread - Please Read Last Post

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

That's up to you man. No one can tell you what to do.

But nothing has to be final. If you want to come here anytime we'll be here. And I'll be doing my best to keep it safe and welcoming, as will the rest of the staff.
It’s not that I don’t feel safe or anything, just I’m considering leaving. Nothing more I nothing less. I do appreciate the concern, though!

By the way, I PMed you on Discord. Nothing big, but if you have the time it’d be nice if you could check it out.

D

Deleted member

Okay everyone. I'm starting up AMAs again today. Next up is Scoliosis Jones Scoliosis Jones then @Noipoi later this week, as long as they're both still interested.

Here's the current list of everyone who'd originally signed up and has not had an AMA yet. If you would like to be taken off the list or if you don't see yourself here and would like to be added, please let me know.

Sorry for the mass tagging.
Remove me if possible. Thanks in advance.

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
I'm down to participate in an AMA. I think that'll be fun!
Added.

Remove me if possible. Thanks in advance.
Subtracted.

If you change your mind later and want to be added again, just let me know. Hope you're doing alright man.

EDIT: I didn't see that on Discord, I'm sorry. I'm really bad at Discord. Checking now.

Last edited:

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
I personally appreciate calmer times like this. It makes it much easier to keep track of everyone and everything, and makes the thread more relaxing as a result.

Of course this place will probably blow up with new and returning users when E3 rolls around, so I'll appreciate this while it lasts.
What's an AMA?
Short for "ask me anything".
Users who get pulled for it get a thread where you can ask them any (appropriate) question you want.
Edit: :ultgreninja: strikes again.

Last edited:

Scribe

Sing, sing for ourselves alone.
Writing Team
NNID
KipShades
3DS FC
5241-1937-7022
I think we're gonna get bamboozled somehow. Big predictions:
  • If the DLC announcement is something big, it won't come during E3 proper but during a pre-E3 stream. They won't want DLC for a game from last year to distract from whatever upcoming titles they show off.
  • If they do reveal any DLC characters during E3 proper, it'll probably be something that ties into an upcoming game - e.g. Sylux if we see any Prime 4 stuff, Chibi-Robo if that somehow gets a new game, Waddle Dee if they show off a new Kirby game, etc.
  • If we get any DLC characters from an upcoming game, it'll most likely be from a game that has already finished development. After the whole fiasco with Roy in Melee and Binding Blade's delays, Sakurai seems to have a hangup around making sure that if he's basing a character on an upcoming game, that game at least finishes development before the character appears in Smash.
  • If we get a third party character, they'll probably make it in more because of their legacy than because of some recent or upcoming title, so looking to those is probably a red herring.

Gentlepanda

Meme Maestro
NNID
Panda
Switch FC
2255-1434-0335
  • If the DLC announcement is something big, it won't come during E3 proper but during a pre-E3 stream. They won't want DLC for a game from last year to distract from whatever upcoming titles they show off.
  • If they do reveal any DLC characters during E3 proper, it'll probably be something that ties into an upcoming game - e.g. Sylux if we see any Prime 4 stuff, Chibi-Robo if that somehow gets a new game, Waddle Dee if they show off a new Kirby game, etc.
  • If we get any DLC characters from an upcoming game, it'll most likely be from a game that has already finished development. After the whole fiasco with Roy in Melee and Binding Blade's delays, Sakurai seems to have a hangup around making sure that if he's basing a character on an upcoming game, that game at least finishes development before the character appears in Smash.
  • If we get a third party character, they'll probably make it in more because of their legacy than because of some recent or upcoming title, so looking to those is probably a red herring.
tfw baboom was right and we get edelgard alongside erdrick

1558912947850.png

KMDP

Smash Legend
You need to put this one:
Royal Knights Theme - Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth
I considered that one, it's actually one of my favourite songs from the Digimon games, but I decided to make my song choices as varied as possible.

Like, I already had 5/12 songs coming from Cyber Sleuth.
--------------------
Anyway, have I missed anything?

D

Deleted member

Slow thread eh? Time to whip out my secret move.
I just finished Mega Man V on the gameboy, the last of the gameboy Mega Man games. I did play through the other games in order before this but I didn't think there was that much to say about them. If you're really that curious: I - Eh; II- Eh but the metal blade makes this game a cakewalk so at least it wasn't a slog to get through; III - Alright but bloody ****ing hell tone it down with the pixel perfect jumps; IV - Pretty good overall
Overall this game is clearly the summation of every previous GB Mega Man game, and it has the quality to match. Mega Man's physics and controls feel just as tight as always, but the replacement of the standard charge shot with the new Mega Arm really changes things by a surprising amount. The Mega Arm is powerful, but when it's detached you can't fire for a solid second, which may not seem like much, but Mega Man is a game where you tend to be bombarded by bullets every second. That second of time where you can't defend yourself really does matter, and it forces you to consider "Should I use the Mega Arm and hope it's strong enough or be safer and just use standard shots?" I really like this dynamic overall. It shakes things up, but it's not so different that it's alienating to long time fans. The Mega Arm's upgrades are also really useful and fun to mess around with, like the grab upgrade that allows you to pull enemies towards you.

The game's difficulty balance is great too. It's always surprising you with new enemies and mechanics, but every enemy's weakness is learnable and exploitable. The game is always presenting you with new challenges, but they never feel insurmountable, so you're always kept on your toes and struggling but get through once you figure things out. This is how difficulty in Mega Man really should be I think, fairly tough but not so frustrating. I appreciate the game's liberal use of spikes too, they're not practically omnipresent but they're there where it counts. Only complaint I have here really is that the game sometimes likes to put spikes in sections where you're falling down and have no possible way of really seeing them coming, but even that wasn't super annoying for me.

Levels themselves are pretty cool too. They have a lot of interesting themes, being a game revolved around space of course. I like how Jupiter's level just takes place on the surface of Jupiter, a straight up cosmic level is pretty unique in the wider context of Mega Man. The levels have some pretty cool gimmicks too, one I particularly like is in Neptune's level. There are these torrents of water that push you back emerging from pipes, but what's cool is that some of the pipes have cracks in them and shooting the cracks releases the water which can potentially push you into a bottomless pit. It forces you to think carefully and not just fire randomly with no precision. All the stages don't overstay their welcome too which is nice. Also shoutouts to that one part near the end where out of nowhere it becomes a bullet hell shooter for a few minutes, that's pretty cool.

Unlike the previous GB games, this game has a pretty much entirely original cast of enemies with their own little gimmicks attached to them. For example, there are these crab enemies that charge up bubble balls that trap you if you get touched by them but can be broken with enough shots, so you have to switch back and forth between shooting the crab and shooting the bubble. It's honestly fairly minor but I like those sorts of enemies. Some enemies go even beyond that, like this one in Saturn's stage that straight up slows time if you get to close. Can't think of many standard enemies in the classic series that really mess with the game itself like that. I hope we get to see some of these return in a future game, they're fairly interesting overall and could be cool to see in 3d.

The bosses really shine imo. Every single one of them is fun to fight. Their difficulty feels perfect, they're all decently tough, but their patterns can be learned while at the same time they're attacks keep you on your toes. One I thought was particularly cool is Mercury. He seems fairly standard, attacking by splitting up into orbs and firing shots, sorta like a Devil monster, but his gimmick is that if you get hit by one of his shots, he steals an item from you like an energy/weapons tank or some currency. That's entirely original for a boss in the franchise and adds extra incentive for not just tanking his attacks, in a way teaching you how to dodge boss attacks. Feels organic. The weapons are pretty great too, they all have an original function and use, and some like the Bubble Bomb or the Grab Buster I found myself using quite a lot throughout my play-through. Props to this game for being one of the few classic Mega Man games to not have Wily as the final boss too, Sunstar is a really cool and climactic fight.

Overall this is one of the finest classic Mega Man experiences on this here Earth (or should I say Terra?). It easily holds up among the greats like 9 and is a fresh, fun experience. Whether you're a Mega Man fan already or haven't touched the franchise much, I'd definitely recommend this game. It's not that much of a time-sink but what is there is just plain good.
On a side note, when this game came out, Pluto was still a planet so they included a robot named Pluto as a boss. Aaaand he's a furry.

This is actually the secret reason they reclassified Pluto. No goddamn furries allowed in this solar system.

Last edited by a moderator:

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Personally, I expect Erdrick at E3 simply because Square has shown interest in the past in terms of getting DQ better known in the West.

But hey, if they’re going for another big gun pick, they could go for Resident Evil too.

Man, i’d love that.

Guh-Huzzah!

Totally humorous voice over and YouTube guy.
Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
Man the Five Nights at Freddy's VR game is looking incredible. FNAF really benefits from the VR format. Not to mention everything in the game looks and feels amazing. I can't wait to see what else this game has in sto-
1558913529112.png

Well... this is an... interesting glitch...

Edit: I'm genuinely curious what caused this. At first I thought the head model was replacing the mask model for some unknown reason, yet upon further inspection it is still there, but the head is almost completely covering it up. Not to mention the head has its eyes, but is missing its beak and endoskeleton as well. And the rest of the body isn't loaded in either. It's super weird.

Last edited:

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Man the Five Nights at Freddy's VR game is looking incredible. FNAF really benefits from the VR format. Not to mention everything in the game looks and feels amazing. I can't wait to see what else this game has in sto-
View attachment 224592
Well... this is an... interesting glitch...
I mean... It certainly scares the heck out of you if you are not expecting it. Plus, this is set in a VR game made by the Fazbear company, of course there is going to be glitches.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Sylux if we see any Prime 4 stuff
I think these need to go hand in hand: He should wait a while before considering Sylux to make sure he properly references the MP4 that actually gets released and not the canceled one.

Gentlepanda

Meme Maestro
NNID
Panda
Switch FC
2255-1434-0335
doubting sylux based on the fact that nintendo have internally known that MP4's development is a mess for a long time now

it's very unlikely that they would have looked at its state in any capacity and decided it was good enough to put on the list of potential reps

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
Okay everyone. I'm starting up AMAs again today. Next up is Scoliosis Jones Scoliosis Jones then @Noipoi later this week, as long as they're both still interested.

Here's the current list of everyone who'd originally signed up and has not had an AMA yet. If you would like to be taken off the list or if you don't see yourself here and would like to be added, please let me know.

Sorry for the mass tagging.
I'm interested, add me to the AMA list.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom