• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social The Social Thread 3.2.1

Favorite announcement at the Indie World

• Little Kitty, Big City

Votes: 1 6.3%
  • Yars Rising

Votes: 3 18.8%
  • Refind Self: The Personality Test Game

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Sticky Business

• Antonblast

Votes: 7 43.8%
  • Valley Peaks

• Lorelei and the Laser Eyes

Votes: 2 12.5%
  • Helder Pinto

• TMNT Splintered Fate

• Cat Quest 3

• stitch

• Steamworld Heist 2

• One of the games from the montage

• None

Votes: 5 31.3%

• Total voters

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Whoa, yesterday was the Ratchet and Clank franchise's 20th anniversary.

As much crud as I give most of the series, the first six games are bonafide childhood classics of mine, and I still adore them despite where the franchise has gone lately. Happy belated anniversary
As someone who's only played the first game, I'm curious as to why/when the series went downhill. (the latest game looked good, at least, though I don't have a PS5 to play it)

Last edited:

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
I want to beat the following games before the Mario movie drops:
  • New Super Luigi U
  • Super Mario Advance 4: Super Mario Bros. 3 (just the e-Reader levels)
  • Super Mario Bros. Special (fan made NES port)
  • Super Mario Land 2: 6 Golden Coins (hacked to be in full color)

osby

Smash Obsessed
You know, for the new Transformers movie...

I just want Rattrap to appear, and sometime during the new movie, I want to hear him say, "We're all gonna die."

And for Predacon Megatron, or whatever his name will be, I want him to say something, and then say "Yesssss..."
I want Knockout to appear and say "I'm gay."

Pink Yoshi

Smash Lord
As someone who's only played the first game, I'm curious as to why/when the series went downhill. (the latest game looked good, at least, though I don't have a PS5 to play it)
It's mostly based on tone, IMO at least. The gameplay's remained pretty good. The first few games felt a lot more "genuine" to me, with less emphasis on trying to tell a dramatic story and also its biting satire of consumerism. But once the Future trilogy got started, it just sort of tapered off more and more, the tone went FAR away from where the series started, and the satirical edge was basically gone by A Crack in Time. Maybe it's just me, but the games just feel very (and I try to never use this word)...soulless now. The satirical edge, simpler stories and sharper wit was where the series had a lot of its strengths. I think it's best exemplified by the music. In the older games we had some super fun, varied composings...now we have the most whitebread orchestral nonsense to ever play from a Playstation's speakers. Plus aside from the titular characters, Captain Qwark and Dr. Nefarious and Lawrence, the cast is pretty much nil now aside from one-off characters (and I could go on about how much I despise Rivet and how she represents the series' downfall into pandering and melodrama all day, but I won't).

TL;DR: the series' charm is gone in favor of stale, melodramatic storytelling

This concludes "Pink Yoshi Rambles Like An Old Grandma About How Games Were So Much Better When She Was Young"

Mamboo07

Smash Hero
Yoooooo!
Hyped for this movie, the character designs look amazing, the action seems quite fun and seeing a crossover between Optimus Prime and Optimus Primal from Beast Wars is quite dope.
Ok, now I return to studying the group project.
Something's rising... and it's not just the Beasts...

I am hoping that Megatron from Beast Wars appears so we all can see his T. Rex version in live action CGI.
(Big purple robo dino)

Edit: I want to hear him say "Yes" many times like in the Beast Wars show.

Last edited:

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Yoooooo!
Hyped for this movie, the character designs look amazing, the action seems quite fun and seeing a crossover between Optimus Prime and Optimus Primal from Beast Wars is quite dope.
This trailer hit me with all sorts of Beast Wars nostalgia - it probably helps that it was the Transformers franchise that I grew up with. Not sure which Predacons will be in here as the villains, but here's hoping that Waspinator makes it in! (also, hopefully we get T. Rex Megatron and the return of Grimlock)

Weirdly enough, on Canadian TV, they called the show "Beasties" - I guess they couldn't put "Wars" in the title?

Last edited:

Roguewolf

Smash Lord
prototype:2ab 66
Flip flop on a slim jim
Craig begs baby
whoop bop no time for cops
Snakes are really neat
Dag gone sun you looking like a ham without meat

One day I’ll make a saying that fully enters the public lexicon

One day

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Bro, imagine a fight between these two!

Robot dinosaurs battling each other!

Might not happen but would be so awesome.
Haha yeah, that's why I'm hoping for it. The fourth Transformers movie might not have been great, but the team-up between Optimus Prime and Grimlock made me overlook a lot of its flaws because, come on, it's Optimus Prime and a fire-breathing T. Rex robot!

D

Deleted member

Finished the Chinese presentation.

I was really nervous by the time It ended so I went out of class to relax a moment, but the teacher said I did really well.

Also got my marks of the Mythology exam and I got a 7/10 so wooo!!!

Aligo

Smash Ace
It's mostly based on tone, IMO at least. The gameplay's remained pretty good. The first few games felt a lot more "genuine" to me, with less emphasis on trying to tell a dramatic story and also its biting satire of consumerism. But once the Future trilogy got started, it just sort of tapered off more and more, the tone went FAR away from where the series started, and the satirical edge was basically gone by A Crack in Time. Maybe it's just me, but the games just feel very (and I try to never use this word)...soulless now. The satirical edge, simpler stories and sharper wit was where the series had a lot of its strengths. I think it's best exemplified by the music. In the older games we had some super fun, varied composings...now we have the most whitebread orchestral nonsense to ever play from a Playstation's speakers.

TL;DR: the series' charm is gone in favor of stale, melodramatic storytelling

This concludes "Pink Yoshi Rambles Like An Old Grandma About How Games Were So Much Better When She Was Young"
Yeah, I agree Ratchet and Clank was designed around immature humour, and switching off of it did it no favours.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Not only was Troll basically Godzilla but with a troll but like the first Godzilla film, it had an environmentalist ethos.

Godzilla (1954) is remembered as a manifestation of nuclear warfare, a beast that destroys the world after being awakened by human hands. Troll, however, updates the message to reflect modern concerns that human greed will become our collective doom as we destroy nature and seek control over a world that might become too eroded to sustain human life.

Last edited:

Roguewolf

Smash Lord
Not only was Troll basically Godzilla but with a troll but like the first Godzilla film, it had an environmentalist ethos.

Godzilla (1954) is remembered as a manifestation of nuclear warfare, a beast that destroys the world after being awakened by human hands. Troll, however, updates the message to reflect modern concerns that human greed will become our collective doom as we destroy nature and seek control over a world that might become too eroded to sustain human life.
Well aren’t you just a bundle of squiggly noodle today

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Yoooooo!
I still feel glad that Bay isn’t fully hands on with the Transformers movies anymore. Funding and helping with producing is all he needs to do…but no more flat out making the movies himself forever please

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Well aren’t you just a bundle of squiggly noodle today
I was just comparing how Troll (2022) which came out today and I watched this morning is basically a modern remake of Godzilla (1954) but with a troll set in Norway.
Yoooooo!
Have to remind myself to watch Bumblebee so I can see this next year. Since its apparently a reboot ignoring the Bayformers films.

Last edited:

Jondolio

Smash Hero
Ok so like
Is there any explanation for the Paradox mons' typings? cause their Pokedex entries are extremely barebone and some of those typings are very weird to say the least

Like why is Slither Wing Fighting

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I finally have set up my 4K TV and both the Switch Oled and the PS5!

Glad I convinced my parents to still keep the crystal desk in the Middle, helps a lot to keep the games I really wanna play at the moment. (The Bubble bag is where I kept the Switch Oled base and the screen to not get It damaged on the backpack btw)

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
Before the second Mario movie trailer, I basically had no expectations for Wario or Waluigi to show up but seeing a bunch of familiar characters as backgrounds, including those that were thought to be forgotten by Nintendo, my hopes have returned.

Last edited:

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
Ok so like
Is there any explanation for the Paradox mons' typings? cause their Pokedex entries are extremely barebone and some of those typings are very weird to say the least

Like why is Slither Wing Fighting
That’s obvious, it’s because it wants to throw hands.

/s

As for why actually, my guess is a few of them are powered by the energy of their type combos. Whereas others changed type based on where they lived.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
What I'm excited for next year.

Gamera: Rebirth, season 3 of Hilda, Guardians 3, Meg 2: The Trench, Cocaine Bear, new Toho Godzilla film and Suicide Squad: Kill the Justice League.

Out of all of these. I'm most excited for Gamera: Rebirth!

Last edited:

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Top Bottom