• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social The Social Thread 3.2.1

SonicMetaphor

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Aladdin was interesting because they tried to be more culturally sensitive (and I'm not gonna lie, as much as I liked the original, it has not aged well in a lot of aspects), and Jasmine was handled significantly better here than the movie, but then they had stuff Will Smith Genie's godawful CGI. Lion King was the exact same movie except they're hyper realistic which did like zero favors, and Dumbo sucked then and it sucks now.

Maleficent was weird though, like it was some kinda of reverse stockhokm syndrome movie idk it was something.
Say what you will about Dumbo, but I watched that movie over a hundred times as a kid. I don’t remember why, though.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Pinocchio of last year was definitely the worst. Holy ******* ****. Way to butcher my all-time favorite Disney film...

But that was made up with Guillermo's vision. A close contender with the original 1940 Disney film.

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
Pinocchio of last year was definitely the worst. Holy ******* ****. Way to butcher my all-time favorite Disney film...
You know what, I legitimately think the recent Wendy movie is the current bottom of the barrel in terms of these remakes, tied with Mulan.

Last edited:

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Finally getting around to the geoglyphs in TotK after for the most part ignoring them.

Oh no, Zelda has been irreversably changed forever.

If only there was some way to restore something (or someone) to a past state. In such a way as to restore it's memory. I'm sure there's some ability like that, but I can't seem to recall it.

Shroob

Sup?
I'm someone who can watch absolute schlock and still get a kick out of it while finding GOAT'd movies absolute dull

So the war people hold over if said movie is good or bad is funny to me.

Let the people just, like what they like and watch what they want to watch. It's just a movie at the end of the day. :dr^_^:

****ing Fast and Furious has like, ten different sequels. Hollywood lost its integrity years ago.

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
I'm someone who can watch absolute schlock and still get a kick out of it while finding GOAT'd movies absolute dull

So the war people hold over if said movie is good or bad is funny to me.

Let the people just, like what they like and watch what they want to watch. It's just a movie at the end of the day. :dr^_^:

****ing Fast and Furious has like, ten different sequels. Hollywood lost its integrity years ago.
I wonder if people in the 1920s had the same convos.

"ANOTHER adaptation of an European Gothic 1800s book? Hollywood is running out of ideas, just read the original."

Shroob

Sup?
Either you can shut your brain off and enjoy big monsters beating the **** out of each other, or you can't. Simple as :drshrug:
See, that's the thing.

If kaiju movies were just big monsters beating the **** out of one another, I'd be ALL for that.

But literally every movie I've ever seen tosses in a bunch of humans and like

Mate, I'm here to see Godzilla **** **** up, not care about the people in the middle. :drshrug:

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
See, that's the thing.

If kaiju movies were just big monsters beating the **** out of one another, I'd be ALL for that.

Mate, I'm here to see Godzilla ** ** up, not care about the people in the middle. :drshrug:
I personally think Pacific Rim balanced both elements really well.

The first movie. The sequel is almost just pure WTF in terms of writing.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
See, that's the thing.

Mate, I'm here to see Godzilla ** ** up, not care about the people in the middle. :drshrug:
I mean, it's integral for a proper sense of scale and having the world react to the giant monsters makes **** feel more real, otherwise you just wind up with Redman.

This isn't a diss on Redman, every toku fan loved that psychopath, but Redman is literally only fight scenes

Jondolio

Smash Hero
You can judge a movie just from its trailer though especially for example if it's from the same director. All these live-action Disney remakes have been ******. The Lion King, Pinocchio, Mulan, Aladdin? Do I need to say more?

If they're from Disney, expect the same.

Long story short, you don't need to see a movie to know it's gonna be bad. Especially if its a movie that's a sequel and from the same director for example.
Did this man just imply that Disney are a director?

Shroob

Sup?
I mean, it's integral for a proper sense of scale and having the world react to the giant monsters makes **** feel more real, otherwise you just wind up with Redman.

This isn't a diss on Redman, every toku fan loved that psychopath, but Redman is literally only fight scenes
I guess that's kinda what I want though lmao.

To me, it feels exactly like the Kangaroo Jack example we love bringing up in this thread.

"Ooooh, funny Kangaroo movie!"

Kangaroo only has 2 minutes of screentime

I know that's an overblown example but

I wanna see monsters punch each other lmao, not the military try(and fail) for the 100th time to kill Godzilla. Giant monsters fighting means big dopamine hit.

Last edited:

dezeray112

Smash Hero
But for me, Viewtiful Joe or Darkstalkers would be ideal Capcom game revivals.
I would really love to see Capcom revive Darkstalkers within the future.

Capcom's been doing a lot better with their marketing, communication and promoton for Street Fighter 6 so far and I do hope it is much better recieved than its predeccessor.

I have seen a number of people hoping for a new Marvel Vs Capcom game, but I would rather have the Capcom focus more on revitalising their dormant franchises first as they have so many good fighting games from Darkstalkers, Rival Schools, Power Stone or even Red Earth.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I guess that's kinda what I want though lmao.

To me, it feels exactly like the Kangaroo Jack example we love bringing up in this thread.

"Ooooh, funny Kangaroo movie!"

Kangaroo only has 2 minutes of screentime

I know that's an overblown example but

I wanna see monsters punch each other lmao, not the military try(and fail) for the 100th time to kill Godzilla. Giant monsters fighting means big dopamine hit.
Yeah no I get that, I think the uhhh 2014 movie? The US one had that issue, original gets a free pass cause of budget reasons. Problem is, most people would rather have context for the thing they're watching rather than just pushing action figures together. Otherwise you go for Redman. You should go look at the old school Redman ****

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Did this man just imply that Disney are a director?
No I was making an example. If it's a live-action remake and from the Disney company, expect the same.

As with the case for directors who does a sequel to the same movie or just movies in general.

Easy way to judge before seeing a movie. I should've worded myself more clearly.
That implies this is an original thought and not regurgitated nonsense from Generic Youtuber 548 like every other hot take Mikey has
Typical snarky CutieGwen subtweeting as usual not bothering to even quote me as if you're too afraid to in the chance of a warning.

I said it before, if you don't like me, don't say anything then. It's that easy. But nah apparently do anything to just entertain yourself so you don't feel bored. Hey after all you thought I believed in the moon landings being fake when that wasn't the case and you misinterpreted my post as I was listing it as an example of dumb people in the world along with anti-vaxxers, flat-earthers and such. Learn to read fam.

As usual you're just gonna ignore anyways.

Last edited:

Jondolio

Smash Hero
No I was making an example. If it's a live-action remake and from the Disney company, expect the same.

As with the case for directors who does a sequel to the same movie or just movies in general.

Easy way to judge before seeing a movie. I should've worded myself more clearly.

Typical snarky CutieGwen subtweeting as usual not bothering to even quote me as if you're too afraid to in the chance of a warning.

I said it before, if you don't like me, don't say anything then. It's that easy. But nah apparently do anything to just entertain yourself so you don't feel bored.
I dunno man I still feel like people who actually watch the movie in question have more of a say than people who don't intend to watch it and have a negative bias towards it

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
I dunno man I still feel like people who actually watch the movie in question have more of a say than people who don't intend to watch it and have a negative bias towards it
Even if its a bad movie from the same director and also a sequel to it???

Also again.

Lion King, Aladdin, Pinocchio, Beauty and the Beast, Mulan, Peter & Wendy?

All awful live-action remakes. More then enough to judge that this trend will continue. No watching a movie required. Why would this be any different?

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
That is like judging a book by its cover. There is still going to be judging involved, of course, but trailers are to much like a bare minimum and not enough to judge movies off of.
Again.

Movies especially sequels from the same director?

The trend we've been seeing with these live-action Disney remakes? Mulan? Aladdin? Beauty and the Beast? Pinocchio? Lion King? Peter & Wendy? Why is this any different?

In b4 CutieGwen subtweets again and proceeds to ignore as usual. Don't care about getting warned, if this is how she's gonna continue, I'm gonna continue calling her off on it.
The issue with that is even though the director had a bad streak, the probability of them having a good movie hidden somewhere isn’t zero.
Even if its a sequel to a bad movie?

Last edited:

SonicMetaphor

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Again.

Movies especially sequels from the same director?

The trend we've been seeing with these live-action Disney remakes? Mulan? Aladdin? Beauty and the Beast? Pinocchio? Lion King? Peter & Wendy? Why is this any different?

In b4 CutieGwen subtweets again and proceeds to ignore as usual.

Even if its a sequel to a bad movie?
I think you are overthinking this. Plus, what you said about judging a movie by its trailer is still flawed, and does not apply to other movies too, which you do not seem to mention aside from Disney remakes. Plus, some of those movies may have some good in them, depending on who you ask. That does not mean they are good overall, but you should know what I mean.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Live-action Disney films just shouldn't exist period. Waste of resources when Disney could using that money for more original films or adaptations of old stories, lifeless carbon copies of the originals. If people wants to watch them, watch the original animated films.

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
See, that's the thing.

There wouldn't be a plot then.

What they need to do is improve on its human characters. Make them decent at the least. Not asking for Shawshank Redemption or The Godfather levels but to the point the characters are tolerable. One of my issues with the MonsterVerse, Kong: Skull Island IMO had the best cast.

Jondolio

Smash Hero
Even if its a bad movie from the same director and also a sequel to it???
But it's not the same director???

Also, I don't know how to tell you this but good directors can make bad movies, just like directors with previously poor track records can makw good movies
All awful live-action remakes. More then enough to judge that this trend will continue. No watching a movie required. Why would this be any different?
If you're not interested in a movie then just don't watch it period. Just because it doesn't speak to you doesn't make it bad.

I don't give a **** about live action remakes for Disney stuff, so I don't watch them and just kinda move on with my life. I don't have to form an opinion.

And in this case you literally told a guy who actually watched this movie that he's overrating it despite the fact that he watched it and you didn't. Please go touch grass

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
But it's not the same director???
Again I was listing an example.
Please go touch grass
Fortunately for you, I do. I go out almost everyday, I go to a social group, volunteer at the animal shelter, I walk and play with my dogs, read which is one of my favorite pastimes, hike and kayak, go to the show, etc. I got a life after all.

Last edited:

Jondolio

Smash Hero
Fortunately for you, I do. I go out almost everyday, I go to a social group, volunteer at the animal shelter, I walk and play with my dogs, read which is one of my favorite pastimes, hike and kayak, go to the show, etc. I got a life after all.
For someone with such a full life you sure do get awfully worked up about people having opinions about movies you don't watch

SonicMetaphor

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Again I was listing an example.

Then try interacting with more people, especially those different from you so you can understand other people’s thoughts better and build a better view of things. No offense intended.

Top Bottom