• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social THE Social Thread 2.0

Which was your favorite new Pokémon revealed from the Scarlet and Violet trailer?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
TBH the game needed an extra year in the oven: It clearly wasn't ready.
I think Nick doesn't know that gaming has changed since the PS2 era, or has been hesitant about allowing lotsa licensed games to happen because of those changes.

NASB's low budget and one year of dev time were a lot more normal in the PS2 era, where there were a lot more Nicktoons games.

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
I think Nick doesn't know that gaming has changed since the PS2 era, or has been hesitant about allowing lotsa licensed games to happen because of those changes.

NASB's low budget and one year of dev time were a lot more normal in the PS2 era, where there were a lot more Nicktoons games.
A lotta people in higher management in non-gaming entertainment companies just don't get video games, TBH. Like, a lot of them just are completely confused and just don't know how to handle them.

Last edited:

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
I think there is one bigger issue atm and that's because of stiff competition in Multiversus, which looks to be the significantly better game and it's for free.

If NASB wants to make a move they gotta do it fast.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Huh? Out already? That was quick.
yep. Released at the same time as the reveal
It's out for the better.

Now Re:Coded? The same deal but it's worth playing imo.
odd that the gameplay was left out…but I guess getting though the game are made easier this way
Speaking as a Days fan:

It's very, very rough by today's standards and is by all means very skippable if you watch the cutscenes online.
well that’s unfortunate
NASB still has an upwards battle of being 100% not casual friendly, though.

Game is pretty unapologetically for comp Melee players and no one else. If you're not in it for the funny schmovement, there ain't much for ya here outside of a shockingly solid roster lineup.
just gotta have a casual setting once they get the money
Mark is a gift:
Legend
I think my biggest question in regards to all this

Is how much longer can they justify pumping money into this game when it's clearly dead? The game still hasn't broken past 100 players even with the last 2 waves of DLC, and sometimes even goes down to as low as 20 or 30 people online, at least on PC.

This can't be profitable for them, especially since, iirc, the game's still full priced, which is another massive turnoff for potential new customers.
just gotta use more TMNT content

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
I think there is one bigger issue atm and that's because of stiff competition in Multiversus, which looks to be the significantly better game and it's for free.

If NASB wants to make a move they gotta do it fast.
or it doesn't have to do anything since instead of having a pathetic development budget, MVS has a pathetic marketing budget lmao

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
That, and there's a few other things.

No voice acting being a glaring one. I can understand, since voice acting is expensive, but it's a wacky cartoon fighting game with no wacky cartoon voices.

Also, no items for the casuals. They're in the code, but most are either unused or were repurposed into moves, so they may be basically a dead concept at this point.
But ya

Outside of the general jankiness of the game and its animations, and the price being way, wayyyyyy too high for the amount of content it has, one of my biggest turnoffs is a lack of voice acting.

It's just soo weird seeing characters like Patrick and Spongebob jump around but they're just

Mute

In a way, it's just eerie. This is a bright, colorful cartoon fighting game, but the characters are just dead silent.

It'd be like if you saw something Mario related and instead of Charles Martinet, he was voiced by Chris Pra-----Oh, wait.
They’ve been hinting that both items and voice acting is still coming.

I don’t get why they didn’t just take random samples from episodes of these shows as voice clips. You don’t have to pay actors and it would have worked fairly well in the meantime and be cheaper while they wait for actual voice work to get approved.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I think my biggest question in regards to all this

Is how much longer can they justify pumping money into this game when it's clearly dead? The game still hasn't broken past 100 players even with the last 2 waves of DLC, and sometimes even goes down to as low as 20 or 30 people online, at least on PC.

This can't be profitable for them, especially since, iirc, the game's still full priced, which is another massive turnoff for potential new customers.
Actually the game was never full price, though a bit under. It's sales also go down to 20 bucks which is a much more reasonable price for a game that's quite barren. I feel this announcement will make sure Hugh at the very least raises the player base quite a bit and the added QoL and content that's been confirmed/teased would also help people turn around. Some issues would still be there obviously and it could very well just stay dead on PC, but idk, I'm hoping it goes well for the devs, they put their hearts on to it but wjen the dev team only finds out that 3 DLC characters get announced when everyone else does, there's a problem. Can't wait for that Matt McMuscles video

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
You don’t have to pay actors
Yes you do, that's why. I also think getting a new VA entirely for Nigel would be cheaper than Tim Curry in any capacity, be it reused clips or new recordings.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
They’ve been hinting that both items and voice acting is still coming.

I don’t get why they didn’t just take random samples from episodes of these shows as voice clips. You don’t have to pay actors and it would have worked fairly well in the meantime and be cheaper while they wait for actual voice work to get approved.
Tbf that's not entirely true, some union actors apparantly have their contracts say that this cannot happen without paying them for reusing their work. Plus, it's also a lot more tedious to try and check as many possible episodes to find the voice clips you want to use

Guh-Huzzah!

Totally humorous voice over and YouTube guy.
Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
Tbf that's not entirely true, some union actors apparantly have their contracts say that this cannot happen without paying them for reusing their work. Plus, it's also a lot more tedious to try and check as many possible episodes to find the voice clips you want to use
Adding on to this, many cartoons are union, and I'd be surprised if Nick's aren't.* And if they were going to use clips from the show, they'd need the raw audio without sound effects, BGM, etc., and whether or not Nick would hand that raw audio over to a game company that they apparently don't have much respect for is uncertain.

*Pretty good example of this: Perry the Platypus only has one voice line throughout the entire show, and Dee Bradley Baker was paid for every time it was used.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
And if they were going to use clips from the show, they'd need the raw audio without sound effects, BGM, etc
If Nicktoons Racing is anything to go by, they don't. Voice clips in that game have background noises intact.

Shroob

Sup?
So apparently The Chainsmokers put out a new album

....and the lead song of it includes voice sampling from....

Granblue Fantasy?

What the hell lol.

Soo ****ing weird hearing characters I know from my Japanese mobile game speak and then white dudes singing about love.

Kirby Dragons

Smash Hero
Admittedly I haven't been playing All-Star Brawl. But I do have fun when I do play it. Even if I think Jimmy should've been added before Hugh, Jenny and Rocko are great and popular choices. I probably won't get Jenny just yet, but I plan to in the near future.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Admittedly I haven't been playing All-Star Brawl. But I do have fun when I do play it. Even if I think Jimmy should've been added before Hugh, Jenny and Rocko are great and popular choices. I probably won't get Jenny just yet, but I plan to in the near future.
The memes Kirby Dragons.

The memes.

It's why he and Nigel got in over their own children.

Guess we're getting Mr. Turner and Stu Pickles over Timmy and Tommy.

Nick dad's be damn.

Last edited:

Kirby Dragons

Smash Hero
The memes Kirby Dragons.

The memes.

Nick dad's be damn.
Memes aside, Jimmy represents the show better and would have a cool moveset. I wouldn't have minded Hugh as the second character from the franchise, but first doesn't feel right.

Shroob

Sup?
Hugh's 100% a "We're HARD pandering to what the fans want" choice.

I like it, because it shows the devs really, really do listen to the fans.

But from a logistical, unbiased standpoint, is it a good first inclusion to represent Jimmy Neutron?

I mean, no, Hugh's 100% in for the fans and the memes. A good representation for Jimmy Neutron would be, Jimmy. Hugh's effectively 'le funni joek'.

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
Same reason as Nigel Thornberry. The memes made them more popular then the protagonists themselves.
Hugh got in for the same reason as Nigel.

The memes.
The memes Kirby Dragons.

The memes.

Nick dad's be damn.
I feel like I'm in a time loop.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
Yes you do, that's why. I also think getting a new VA entirely for Nigel would be cheaper than Tim Curry in any capacity, be it reused clips or new recordings.
They may have unions, but I’m also pretty sure I remember Nick not being easy to have a union in. Pretty sure the all star brawl discord has said it wouldn’t be impossible either, but I also haven’t been in it to often.

I think it would definitely be possible to get voice clips reused and cheaper, but it ultimately comes down to Nick giving support. They absolutely have a strong archive for everything we know.

Example, we know they still have the blues clues and me and my friends pilot in their vault with easy access. Despite them being niche and no need to store them, they still seem to hold a lot of content from the years somewhere.

Last edited:

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
So apparently The Chainsmokers put out a new album

....and the lead song of it includes voice sampling from....

Granblue Fantasy?

What the hell lol.

Soo ****ing weird hearing characters I know from my Japanese mobile game speak and then white dudes singing about love.
I forgot who it was, but miku was sampled in some rap songs too, i think

Last edited:

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
in a weird way, Nickelodeon is somewhat in the right step towards having better games. From Kart Racers, NASB, and BOBB remake to their upcoming TMNT games, they might a goldmine strike

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
Dormammu, I've come to bargain
If I had a nickel for every Dormammu joke that revolved around this board being in a time loop that had Mike involved that happened today, I'd have two nickles.

Which isn't a lot but it's weird that it happened twice.

Last edited:

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
If I had a nickel for every Dormammu joke that revolved around this board being in a time loop that had Mike involved that happened today, I'd have two nickles.

Which isn't a lot but it's weird that it happened twice.
That's just another time loop in of itself

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
You know, I'm lowkey kinda suprised Kingdom Hearts didn't try a racing game. I mean a Disney Kart alone would bring home some moolah so Kingdom Karts would definitely make bank.

Knowing Square they'd add microtransactions and kill it.

And also it's canon for some reason.
Somebody clearly didn't play Birth by sleep.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom