• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social THE Social Thread 2.0

Which was your favorite new Pokémon revealed from the Scarlet and Violet trailer?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ivander

Smash Legend
That's why I feel like fans are kinda hostile to FE and Xenoblade, they only got popular in the last decade because of Smash
Say what you want about Fire Emblem's appearance in Melee helping it's popularity(but it was really because of Awakening that resulted in it's massive popularity, and even saved the series), but Xenoblade becoming popular because of Smash? Lots, and I mean LOTS, of people were frickin' pushing for the first Xenoblade to come to America, alongside The Last Story and Pandora's Tower, otherwise known as Operation Rainfall. And it was during a time when Nintendo of America was frickin' stingy on localising games. Like even Monolith Soft thought that Xenoblade would come overseas and were surprised it hadn't.
The support of Operation Rainfall was enough to not only get Nintendo of America to bring it over(albeit exclusive to some retailers), but despite the exclusivity, it did actually sell better in the West compared to Japan. Enough to get Nintendo to localise Xenoblade X. It wasn't because of Smash that Xenoblade became popular. It was because of a movement with a frick' ton of support and demand that got tons of attention from media sites and from Japanese gaming sites that gave Xenoblade it's popularity as the game that Western fans succeeded in getting localised.

Xenoblade is more than likely the game that actually gave a much needed slap to Nintendo of America to do more localisations. Like during the Wii era, Nintendo of America was frickin' stingy when it came to localizations. Not just Xenoblade, Last Story and Pandora's Tower, we didn't get Fatal Frame 4, Disaster Day of Crisis, Zangeki no Reginleiv, etc. It wasn't until after Xenoblade that NoA started to do alot more localizations for new titles, for Wii U, 3DS and Switch. It's quite possible that some of the games we have gotten localized nowadays may never have come over had Operation Rainfall and Xenoblade not gotten the support and attention they needed to get it localised.
---
Smash, if anything, was more a lucky bonus for Xenoblade, compared to Fire Emblem where back then, lots of people wanted, were content and were expecting to get an Awakening character in Smash 4 after it's massive success. Chrom/Lucina/Robin, whichever one before the reveal, was a guarantee. Shulk would've been a legitimate surprise had it not been for the one leak. because even with Xenoblade's popularity, it was still a new title at the time and Shulk could've been brushed aside in favor of another character easily.

Ivander

Smash Legend
I’m not the only one who sees this, right?
View attachment 344740
View attachment 344739

Japan loves their dark-haired ponytail characters. So you can probably find a bunch of people who think of a different character when they see the new character.

Edit: By the by, is it the artist of Xenoblade 2 doing the artwork for Xenoblade 3? I'm thinking it is since Eunie and Sena look quite similar to the artist's other works.

Last edited:

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
bro, Im still pissed about this ****ing subscription for Taiko. What bull**** is this. I dont have expendable income so Im going to miss out on 500 songs at launch

Please, anyone, be my Sugar Daddy/Mama, Please

Last edited:

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
I just got another random shiny, a magmar. It’s worth getting rank 10 on each dex entry without a doubt.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
I looked itup, Growlithe is a rare spawn as soon as you enter the third area, but because it's rare you have to keep resting at base camp for it to spawn nearby.

PKMN.jpg

So now here's my fifth team member, dont know who to put as my sixth member.

Convoy the Dewott
Tobi the Espeon
Sheath the Buneary
Gloria the Hippopotas
Komane the Growlithe

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
New Kirby Game looks cool. Neat that you can upgrade your copy powers. Glad Mario Strikers is back. MK8D refuses to die. Klonoa and Chrono Cross fans are eating. Jim Xenoblade lives again, which is neat I guess. I'm glad people can hush up about Earthbound. Granted Mother 3 still eludes them...outside of emulation of the fan-translation.

Looking forward to the boss rush mode in Metroid Dread.

I'm pretty sure the Mario Kart update, when its all finished, will end up giving the game like 90 courses, or close to it I think. Cause isn't there 48 in Deluxe as it is? They basically doubled the game.

Last edited:

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
Things I got excited for in the Direct.
Mario Kart
Mario Strikers aka the best soccer game
Live A Live
EarthBound and EarthBound Beginnings no longer being missing from Switch online. Looking forward to EarthBound 64 coming to the expansion pack.
Xenoblade 3
Square Enix including Radical Dreamers with Chrono Cross
The cake being a lie on Switch
Hungy Kirby

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
casually listening to Three Houses music for absolutely no reason

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Nvm it sucks
Futurama had it's run and revival. I don't think it needed yet another runback.
I mean, I get it, I'm a ****king sucker for Turn Based RPG, hands down my favorite genre.

But tbh, that's usually not why people go to Nintendo, they usually go for exclusives that are usually platformers and Zelda. Like, I feel for a lot of fans, their only JRPG experience is Pokemon, and that's where the culture shock happens because we haven't really seen many new platformers (I can only name 3, and one isn't really a platformer first and foremost), and Zelda is usually a in and out thing with a small game in the middle.

That's why I feel like fans are kinda hostile to FE and Xenoblade, they only got popular in the last decade because of Smash so they're a lot more niche because they don't gor much of a legacy compared to Mario, Kirby, and Zelda.

In a way, it is ironic. The SNES, GBA, DS, and 3DS were JRPG powerhouses.
In a way that might be the case. But Xenoblade 1 was really sought after by Hardcore Nintendo fans when it first dropped. In a way it was kind of both niche and popular at the same time. I think what really led to it being decisive was the reception to XBC2's Aesthetic and overall more "anime-y" style and some other type of ****.

Fire Emblem was for sure due it to its seemingly "overstepping" its role in Smash representation. That, and some of the older FE fans hadn't been too huge on the larger romance stuff, while others were super into it, again leading to a split. At least from what I've seen and remembered.

Granted I've seen a couple people say FE's more iconic/important than Metroid. Which I strongly disagree with since Metroid's gameplay style has been far more influential to the overall gaming landscape. Granted, this was before Dread selling like 3 million. Which similarly brought back strong sales to its series like Awakening did for FE. And unlike FE, Metroid had at least a few Million sellers in a couple titles (Super, Prime 1 and maybe Prime 2, as some places say 800,000 while others say 1.1 million sales)

Despite what some people say tho, I'm glad at the very least, with Splatoon, FE getting big, Metroid coming back, and XBC Nintendo has more variety in its big games. That's not just Mario, Zelda and Pokemon.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
Finally got through the Direct, some highlights for me:

I'm honestly looking forward to FEW: Three Hopes. I'm not too fussed about them doing another Age of Calamity thing with the game as FEW had great gameplay, but a disappointing roster, and this game will probably continue to build on the former while also having a more focused cast that checks off more boxes like Age of Calamity. They also seemed to have learned their lesson and outright say it's an alternate storyline to the original game, which is good after the backlash Age of Calamity got for keeping that secret.

The Portal Games being on the Switch is huge for me as they're a set of games I've never gotten to play despite being classics. I'm definitely picking them up once they drop.

The Metroid Dread updates seem great. Rookie Mode is perfect as a major complaint the game had was its difficulty that made it hard for some people to get into, so that's an option that ideally will get them back into trying to finish the game or get off the fence and buy it. Dread Mode seems to be for pure masochists from what I've seen of it, but apparently there's a market for speedruns that are ridiculously hard like that so that's going to scratch an itch for that group as well. Finally, Boss Rush is great as I love most of the bosses in the game and I'd love to try my hand at taht.

Earthbound and Earthbound Beginnings is not too surprising as it's more a matter of when with the games due to their cult classic status. I haven't played Beginnings so I may download that one once my backlog is clear, then play Earthbound again just because I love that game.

As for XC3, I'm on the fence. It looks great and it seems to have improved on some of the critiques I had with the style of the previous game, but I'm not sure if it's enough to finally get me to buy another in the series as they tend to be long adventures and squeezing those in can be tough sometimes. I'll keep an eye on it and see what comes out of it, but for now I'm not committing. Also I'm sad that XCX seems to be left to the wayside, it's a great game that just needed some refining in a few areas, it's unfortunate that it's not getting a second chance.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
Futurama had it's run and revival. I don't think it needed yet another runback.

In a way that might be the case. But Xenoblade 1 was really sought after by Hardcore Nintendo fans when it first dropped. In a way it was kind of both niche and popular at the same time. I think what really led to it being decisive was the reception to XBC2's Aesthetic and overall more "anime-y" style and some other type of ****.

Fire Emblem was for sure due it to its seemingly "overstepping" its role in Smash representation. That, and some of the older FE fans hadn't been too huge on the larger romance stuff, while others were super into it, again leading to a split. At least from what I've seen and remembered.

Granted I've seen a couple people say FE's more iconic/important than Metroid. Which I strongly disagree with since Metroid's gameplay style has been far more influential to the overall gaming landscape. Granted, this was before Dread selling like 3 million. Which similarly brought back strong sales to its series like Awakening did for FE. And unlike FE, Metroid had at least a few Million sellers in a couple titles (Super, Prime 1 and maybe Prime 2, as some places say 800,000 while others say 1.1 million sales)

Despite what some people say tho, I'm glad at the very least, with Splatoon, FE getting big, Metroid coming back, and XBC Nintendo has more variety in its big games. That's not just Mario, Zelda and Pokemon.
Metroid is more influential, but i feel like Fire Emblem in general is more popular, i run into more Fire emblem fans on a regular basis than Metroid ones.

Mamboo07

Smash Hero
Been wondering what the final boss for Kirby and Forgotten Land would be like.

I noticed that most final bosses use Kirby's new gimmicks:
  • Magolor uses Ultra Sword, Fire Dragon and Flare Beam in RTDL
  • Sectonia uses Miracle Fruits which give Kirby Hypernova
  • Susie and Halt have their own Robobot Armours which Kirby uses one as well
  • Hyness performs Friend Circle with the Mage Sisters and Kirby can do that

So... I can imagine the final boss using Mouthful Mode to fight Kirby who uses it to battle?

Last edited:

Noipoi

Howdy!
Been wondering what the final boss for Kirby and Forgotten Land would be like.

I noticed that most final bosses use Kirby's new gimmicks:
  • Magolor uses Ultra Sword, Fire Dragon and Flare Beam in RTDL
  • Sectonia uses Miracle Fruits which give Kirby Hypernova
  • Susie and Halt have their own Robobot Armours which Kirby uses one as well
  • Hyness performs Friend Circle with the Mage Sisters and Kirby can do that

So... I can imagine the final boss using Mouthful Mode to fight Kirby who uses it to battle?
He swallows a truck and runs you over.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom