• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social THE Social Thread 2.0

Which was your favorite new Pokémon revealed from the Scarlet and Violet trailer?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
I have made up my mind

Pokémon BDSP good

More difficulty and EXP balancing like this, please: I'm actually being punished for being bad. This is great, and I want more of it.
It's too bad that after the beginning of the game you have to wait aproximately 20 hours before the fun begins.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
I think tomorrow is a good time to do another Persona 5 Royal/Strikers run

Pokelego999

Smash Hero
Waiting for Latias and Latios to get a theme
Switch FC
SW-0935-8215-2605
I watched some of SNL live and that was the unfunniest **** I've seen in eons.

I cracked a smile at like one or two of the news bulletins in the newsroom skit, but the rest was just suffering, mainly the Elmo bit.

These actors are being wasted.

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
Big winter storm came through here today

genuinely surprised my power never went out, only flickered for a couple seconds, and that's about it.
Stay safe!
I watched some of SNL live and that was the unfunniest **** I've seen in eons.

I cracked a smile at like one or two of the news bulletins in the newsroom skit, but the rest was just suffering, mainly the Elmo bit.

These actors are being wasted.
When out of touch celebs meet out of touch executives...

KillerCage

Smash Master
Got a lot of freezing rain today.
I might not be able to go to work tomorrow at least on my own.

Last edited:

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
TBH I would've preferred Let's Go style probably, but I'm okay with this one.

Chibi Cyrus alone makes it all worth it.
I like this chIbi Style in concept as frankly i really dont like the sún and moon/Sword and shield artstyle, it feels like it's teetering towards the Uncanny Valley a bit.

But BDSP's Style clearly needed a bit More Time in the over to give the models More facial expressions.

Diem

Agent of Phaaze
NNID
Luminoth_Prime
I kinda

Don’t really like the Chibi artstyle that much? I think it looks awkward tbh.

If you like it that’s cool tho :nifty:
It's disappointing to me compared to Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire, the last remakes, which came out on the 3DS on 2014. People counter the criticisms of BDSP's art style by saying "Well it's just mimicking the style of the spritework from the original games, because it's a remake, so what do you want?" when we got remakes with better visuals 7 years earlier on significantly weaker hardware. It's incredibly backwards that BDSP is what you would expect a remake on 3DS to look like, and ORAS is what you would expect a remake on Switch to look like.

Not only did BDSP go for a second-rate visual design, but it also did nothing to update Team Galactic the same way ORAS updated Teams Aqua and Magma. The Gen III teams were a little bland in their characterization, and the different admins a little indistinguishable besides their physical appearance. ORAS totally reinvented them and made their designs and personalities so much more unique and interesting. You could tell a lot of effort and creativity went into reimagining them for a new decade, and it makes a huge difference in making the game's narrative more engaging.

Team Galactic could have used a similar upgrade, making the Galactic admins a bit more unique while also maybe updating Cyrus's dialogue a bit more. Instead, from what I saw in the one trailer, they did... absolutely nothing at all with Team Galactic? Or anyone? Did they even change any of the game's writing from the originals, or is it all the same? I haven't seen anyone mention it.

These two issues are what have kept me from the game, since $60 is a lot to ask when we got higher quality remakes for $40 so long ago. But that seems to have been an unfortunate trend for Pokemon on the Switch.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
I just see BDSP's art style as a missed opportunity.

It would have been neat to see them take what was formerly a top down game and reimagine it with a new perspective, and really take advantage of the fact that the Switch didn't have the hardware limitations of the DS. Instead they reinvented the old art style for the sake of faithfulness.

I'm not that worked up over it. BDSP did the bare minimum in a lot of ways, but it did the bare minimum of recreating what were already good games.

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
Yeah I'm not a fan of the Chibi artstyle at all. I meme about it, but how do characters stretch out for battle and shrink back down once it's done? What happenes in the 100 years between Arceus and BDSP that causes this to hasppen? Yeah the sprites were kinda like that, but that was a limitation of the technology. There's no excuse now, pick an artstyle and stick with it.

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
So, FNAF: Security Breach is known for being a glitchy game. But I think I've just found my favorite glitch in it. You see, a streamer was trying to do a challenge run of Security Breach where he had to beat the game without sprinting. BUT he was allowed to use exploits, as long as he didn't use any out of bounds glitches. One of these exploits involves tricking the game into thinking it's a time it's not. It's effectively time travel. For example, you can go from 5:00 AM, to 2:00 AM, etc. But apparently... time travelling SOMEHOW creates something this streamer has dubbed as "a Giga Monty"

It's basically Monty, but with a few key diffirences.
  • They are INCREDIBLY FAST
  • They appear to have much better pathfinding than the other animatronics.
  • They come in packs of one to five (Which is amusing, seeing as usually only one Monty is at play)
  • If Gregory hides in Freddy's chest cavity, all animatronics will become unaware of where you are. Giga Montys, on the other hand, will run up to you even if you are inside of Freddy.
  • Seeing as there can be up to five of them at a time, it's possible to be softlocked by them, because they can trap you in corners and stop you from moving while you're inside Freddy.
  • When a S.T.A.F.F. Bot finds you, they sound an alarm that alerts animatronics of your location, and an animatronic will instantly appear nearby. Giga Monty's don't appear nearby, and instead run all the way from the atrium to wherever you are in the map.

...It's beautiful.
Metal Shop X Metal Shop X
So, you're basically saying that we found a weapon to surpass Metal Gear itself?

Pretty neat if so.

Also,on my side, I finished Half-Life 1, Blue Shift& Opposing Force, Which I all more or less liked, and now, i'm gonna try out HL: Echoes. A very cool mod for the first game, before jumping to 2.

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
I know the context behind it but it's still funny how much Pokemon fans complained about the way Let's Go and SwSh looked and then complained about how BDSP doesn't look like them.
Tbh, I'm all for Pokemon to experiment with itself more often, even if the results don't quite pan out as well as they hoped.

Which I kinda feel is the theme for the Switch Pokemon games: they're experimental as hell. Lets Go removed a core mechanic in favor for a more casual experience, SwSh went for a more competitive route with the dex cit to change up the meta and massive focus on competitive play, BDSP removed all gimmicks and instead made a more true return to form (as a result of the small yet loud backlash of there being so many gimmicks? Who knows?), and Legends is anything but a traditional Pokemon game.

Not a bad idea, and it'll pay off for them sooner than later.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Speaking of which, one thing about Sonic series that always made me wonder: Is there any official SEGA-made media that depicted Sonic using his quills as a weapon outside of Super Smash Bros.?

Like this?
View attachment 342967
If you wanna be technical, every game does it as it explains how he can tear through metal by curling into a ball, but the move itself's from Sonic the Fighters iirc

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom