• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social THE Social Thread 2.0

Which was your favorite new Pokémon revealed from the Scarlet and Violet trailer?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
I've been seeing a lot of that on Twitter lately which it is getting rather tiresome and annoying as there are some "people" who still do not acknowledge Miles Morales as a Spider-Man.
Personally i would rather they just give him a different name, having multiple characters with the name "Spiderman" would frankly just create brand confusion for the general public. And when it doesnt it just looks silly.

Like Miles wouldnt be seen as his own man, he's just "Black guy Spiderman" or "Latino Spiderman" Which is kinda stupid.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Personally i would rather they just give him a different name, having multiple characters with the name "Spiderman" would frankly just create brand confusion for the general public. And when it doesnt it just looks silly.

Like Miles wouldnt be seen as his own man, he's just "Black guy Spiderman" or "Latino Spiderman" Which is kinda stupid.
D7AC5E0C-1F86-4F01-9AD6-959B63407220.jpeg

Spider-Text

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
The whole point of Spider-man is that he can be anybody.

Peter Parker is Spider-Man. Miles is Spider-Man. End of discussion.

Also, if you ask me (and I know I say this a lot), but the twitter discussion of Miles being Spider-Man highkey kinda feels like racism's a foot. I don''t see anybody complaining about the pig that became Spider-Man, so why is Miles suddenly "Not My Spider-Man".

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
This is why I recommend reading Superior Spider-Man for anyone. Slott wasn't a really good writer and he kind of fumbled the wordbuilding after this story... and Spider-Man as a series... but showing villain character growth by literally living the motto of great power/responsibility makes Doc Ock my favorite Spidey.

It's also a pretty good story in general imo.

Last edited:

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
When they get around to doing new Kingdom hearts stuff i really want them to adopt that one thing in FF7 remake when in battle you can play as the other members in the party but when just exploring the world you only play as Cloud.

It would be cool to be able to force Donald to heal you and beat people up as Goofy.

That's not really the thing that bugs me, i dont mind multiple people having the Spiderman name, i like Miguel.

It's just that i find it silly for there to be multiple of them at one time, Miles made sense to be in the Ultimate universe because you know, Peter was dead so a new guy took up the mantle. But it feels kinda of redundant to have the two of them at the same time.

I think he works best as a successor to Peter rather than the two co-existing i think is what i'm trying to say. You know kinda like Batman Beyond,

Last edited:

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Put some respec on Spider Hyphen Man's name
always respecting
I'm not gonna start now lol
AFC26DC5-F42F-4F98-A0E0-E47A31CB787B.jpeg

hahaha where's dr-

oh right
at least he was there for a blooper for the old iCarly
This is why I recommend reading Superior Spider-Man for anyone. Slott wasn't a really good writer and he kind of fumbled the wordbuilding after this story... and Spider-Man as a series... but showing villain character growth by literally living the motto of great power/responsibility makes Doc Ock my favorite Spidey.

stories like that, Ends of the Earth, Spider-Island, Spider-Verse (the comic and Shattered Dimensions), and the PS4 game shows how good of a Spider-Man writer Slott can be

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804

Peter Parker is Spider-Man. Miles is Spider-Man. End of discussion.

Also, if you ask me (and I know I say this a lot), but the twitter discussion of Miles being Spider-Man highkey kinda feels like racism's a foot. I don''t see anybody complaining about the pig that became Spider-Man, so why is Miles suddenly "Not My Spider-Man".
Considering who the person I can trace it back to is, it's capital R Racism.

One of the best panels is when he punches Scorpion's jaw off and realises that Pete was always pulling his punches

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
stories like that, Ends of the Earth, Spider-Island, Spider-Verse (the comic and Shattered Dimensions), and the PS4 game shows how good of a Spider-Man writer Slott can be
He can be good, but Nick Spencer is currently killing it imo

Last edited:

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Thinking about some older Pokemon sprites.

Man I miss sprites like this one. It makes Rampardos look so powerful and dynamic.

Black and White having animated sprites was a great thing overall, but for some pokemon like Rampardos, it meant having a less interesting pose.

While Rampardos's gen 4 sprite looked amazing, it doesn't really work as part of a simple animation loop. This sprite animation just really fails to capture how powerful Rampardos is supposed to be compared to it's original sprite.

I feel pretty similar about Scyther.

In it's DP and FR/LG sprites it looks so swift and agile! At least it's crouched position in B/W still has a nice aesthetic to it, which kind of works since mantises are ambush predators.

But I will always hate how 3D Scyther just kind of hovers in place awkwardly. It doesn't look swift nor deadly in that pose.

I suppose there's an upside to older sprites leaving more of the movement up to the imagination. It's less immersive overall, but it does allow them to convey whatever movement they want.

But I will never forgive GF and TPC for drunk Archeops.

Sure, it's one of the more animated 3D models. But at what cost?

I suppose that's another reason to look forward to Legends Arceus. With the game being fully in real time, Pokemon will be allowed to move more freely and won't just be sitting around in one spot waiting for their turn. We're going to see a lot more lively animation and poses if the trailers are anything to go by. And Pokemon still tend to have really nice walk/run cycles which will be really nice to see in a game with a lot of open traversal.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
Weirdly i feel like buying a used copy of that Final fantasy Dissidia game that came out on PS4 a while back.

It's 100% a dead game but ive seen used copies go for 5 bucks so i kinda want to try it out for curiosity sake.

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed

Man I miss sprites like this one. It makes Rampardos look so powerful and dynamic.

Black and White having animated sprites was a great thing overall, but for some pokemon like Rampardos, it meant having a less interesting pose.

While Rampardos's gen 4 sprite looked amazing, it doesn't really work as part of a simple animation loop. This sprite animation just really fails to capture how powerful Rampardos is supposed to be compared to it's original sprite.

In it's DP and FR/LG sprites it looks so swift and agile! At least it's crouched position in B/W still has a nice aesthetic to it, which kind of works since mantises are ambush predators.

But I will always hate how 3D Scyther just kind of hovers in place awkwardly. It doesn't look swift nor deadly in that pose.

I suppose there's an upside to older sprites leaving more of the movement up to the imagination. It's less immersive overall, but it does allow them to convey whatever movement they want.

I suppose that's another reason to look forward to Legends Arceus. With the game being fully in real time, Pokemon will be allowed to move more freely and won't just be sitting around in one spot waiting for their turn. We're going to see a lot more lively animation and poses if the trailers are anything to go by. And Pokemon still tend to have really nice walk/run cycles which will be really nice to see in a game with a lot of open traversal.
I feel like the biggest issues with the 3D models is that the newer mons (like gen 6 and beyond) got more dynamic, animated poses, but the old ones just kinda... stand there.

That said, even Gen 5 was guilty of that sometimes.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend

Man the 3D models for winged Pokemon really wrecked these guys because of a bad underused gimmick.

Noipoi

Howdy!
Oh yeah, I'm surprised no one talked about this, but:

The leaks talking about a "ghost girl" or "AI Girl" could be talking about Amy, it was discovered recently that the voice calling out to Sonic in the trailer is Amy's.
really?

it didn’t really sound like Amy to me

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Oh yeah I forgot to reply to this earlier.
Have you watched Netflix's Hilda? It's pretty good with a movie airing at the end of the year.
I actually really love Hilda. It's probably in my Top 5 favorite cartoons right now.
I feel like the biggest issues with the 3D models is that the newer mons (like gen 6 and beyond) got more dynamic, animated poses, but the old ones just kinda... stand there.

That said, even Gen 5 was guilty of that sometimes.
I definitely feel like part of the problem with the 3D models, aside from them all having to stand in place, is that they also probably had to pump out those animations really fast.

When Gen 6 rolled around they had to make all the pokemon models in 3D all in one go. That's 721 models all developed for a single pair of 3DS games, and they've been reusing those same assets ever since. And every single one of them had to have at least an idle animation, at least two attack animations, and their Pokemon Amie animations (which were still worth it don't @ me).

That's a lot of work.

Last edited:

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
really?

it didn’t really sound like Amy to me
Some are speculating Amy has a new English VA, because I believe her old one confirmed she isn't voicing Amy anymore a while back.

Plus, Amy's Japanese VA confirmed it outright on Twitter saying the voice was her's before deleting the tweet.

Last edited:

Pokelego999

Smash Hero
Waiting for Latias and Latios to get a theme
Switch FC
SW-0935-8215-2605
I actually really love Hilda. It's probably in my Top 5 favorite cartoons right now.

I definitely feel like part of the problem with the 3D models, aside from them all having to stand in place, is that they also probably had to pump out those animations really fast.

When Gen 7 rolled around they had to make all the pokemon models in 3D all in one go. That's 721 models all developed for a single pair of 3DS games, and they've been reusing those same assets ever since. And every single one of them had to have at least an idle animation, at least two attack animations, and their Pokemon Amie animations (which were still worth it don't @ me).

That's a lot of work.
Correction, Gen 6.

I will never forgive how dirty they did my boys Tropius and Skarmory.

Noipoi

Howdy!
Some are speculating Amy has a new English VA, because I believe her old one confirmed she isn't voicing Amy anymore a while back.

Plus, Amy's Japanese VA confirmed it outright on Twitter saying the voice was her's before deleting the tweet.

Huh

A bit odd, IMO. Thought it would’ve been some new partner for Sonic. But I’m willing to see where this goes.

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed

When Gen 6 rolled around they had to make all the pokemon models in 3D all in one go. That's 721 models all developed for a single pair of 3DS games, and they've been reusing those same assets ever since. And every single one of them had to have at least an idle animation, at least two attack animations, and their Pokemon Amie animations (which were still worth it don't @ me).

That's a lot of work.
Yeah, and that's why we kinda have the same stoic models we have now. That said, future-proofing them was an ingenious idea that thankfully saved GF so much time since they can reuse them.

Iirc, PLA does as well but they gave some touch ups to the mons. I wouldn't be surprused if they reused PLA's models for Gen 9.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
I will never forgive how dirty they did my boys Tropius and Skarmory.

From a mighty, majestic sauropod to a kite hovering on a string.

Honestly I don't hate 3D Tropius's animation, but it's definitely missing a sense of size and weight that the older sprites conveyed better. As bizarre as it is, Tropius's design is just so striking and hovering there like a drone just doesn't do it justice.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Honestly a lot of flying Pokémon animations would be vastly improved if they just flapped their wings instead of hovering.
Honestly more energetic movement in general is needed.

As much as everyone loves to dunk on Pokemon's 3D animations, everyone loves Hitmontop's.

Its animations are so simple yet there's just enough energy to them to stand out. As opposed to most pokemon who have really subtle idle loops that don't really grab your attention.

And heck, look at Falinks!

It's so memorable.

This is something B/W did really well actually, and I think is the main thing that sets B/W's and X/Y's idle loops apart. A lot of that is probably GF just being more experienced with 2D though.

Pokemon has had a rough transition to 3D.

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
Honestly more energetic movement in general is needed.

As much as everyone loves to dunk on Pokemon's 3D animations, everyone loves Hitmontop's.

Its animations are so simple yet there's just enough energy to them to stand out. As opposed to most pokemon who have really subtle idle loops that don't really grab your attention.

And heck, look at Falinks!

It's so memorable.

This is something B/W did really well actually, and I think is the main thing that sets B/W's and X/Y's idle loops apart. A lot of that is probably GF just being more experienced with 2D though.

Pokemon has had a rough transition to 3D.
Tbh, I just wish Hitmontop was actually on his head again

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom