• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social THE Social Thread 2.0

Which was your favorite new Pokémon revealed from the Scarlet and Violet trailer?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
"Hand!", "So smart, me!", "Hungry!", "Bird..." - King Shark

Move over Groot. It's King Shark's time to shrine.

Last edited:

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
other than Spider-Man: No Way Home, and now that Black Widow released, Harley Quinn and John Cena starring The Suicide Squad is my most anticipated movie

D

Deleted member

Your next line is “This conversation is getting weird. Let’s move onto something else.”~toyu!

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Travis Touchdown wrestling gators?

YES PLEASE!
Part of me hopes that they bring back the scorpion-catching minigame, almost completely unchanged. (they brought it back for No More Heroes 2 even though it didn't even remotely match the other minigames, so I wouldn't put it past them)

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
Part of me hopes that they bring back the scorpion-catching minigame, almost completely unchanged. (they brought it back for No More Heroes 2 even though it didn't even remotely match the other minigames, so I wouldn't put it past them)
I can see it returning since this game's open world is significantly larger than NMH1's and they'd definitely need many odd jobs to use up all that space.

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
Wow, it's almost like different people like different things in games, Not gonna lie, at this point I'm getting fed up with all those "x fans when..." jokes, after a while it just comes across as bitter and mean spirited when it's happening all the time.

And as for Animal Crossing specifically, it does feel incomplete. Rushed? No, the game was already delayed, yet it' still missing a ton, besides just furniture sets. A lot of additional buildings were removed, which goes against the whole "create your own island" theme the game had going for it. What's the point when there's no fortune teller, police station, cafe or any of the other buildings to deck out your island? Redd had to be added in a post-launch update, someone who was a staple since the first game. Nookling's only has one upgrade, and it's still worse than any of the other fully upgraded stores from the older games and a lot of other characters who had a store have been relegated to being random visitors, like Gracie or Leif. They don't even let us fully upgrade the side rooms of our house anymore either, being stuck with a 6x6 grid.

Hell, talking about the police station, they made Isabelle give a speech every morning, yet she never actually says anything useful, even when visiting her in the town hall. Why did they get rid of announcing special visitors (which also has quite a few missing, mind you)? It's such a basic feature, yet not there.

And arguably the most important part, the villagers, were neutered to hell. I'm not sure what they've done with them in this game, but they feel so repetitive, like, they don't even ask to visit you anymore. And even just asking for favors only happens once in a blue moon. This is the first AC game where I stopped caring about talking to them, because of how stale they feel. Like, no, I don't care hearing about your handbag collection all the time when talking to you.

The game certainly looks nice, but it wasn't worth losing so many features over. And even when things might seem pointless, it's a slow life sim, a game like this lives on its flavor, too. Sure, you don't need, for example, the police station a lot, but it still helps to flesh out your town. A lot of small things do add up after a while.

But sure, it's totally about features that were only used for three minutes and not how hollow the whole package feels. If you enjoy it, fine, more power to you, no one's saying you aren't allowed, but acting like it can't be criticized is not the way to go.

Was it worth it spending this much time on a text about "funny animal game"? No, but I had to get it off my chest at this point. Don't get me wrong, I like Animal Crossing, I even like New Horizons, even if it might not sound like it and I admit it had a lot of QoL improvements, but content wise, it certainly feels weaker than New Leaf, a 3DS game.
Just as a clarification, my earlier post was made to be a joke, I wasn't trying to stir anyone up or touch a nerve, so my apologies.

As for the rest of the post:

I have absolutely no issue with someone criticizing a game. I think it's good! Nothing is perfect, and things will only get better with constructive criticism. However, I will fully admit I disagree with the "New Leaf is better than New Horizons" argument, personally. A lot of New Leaf was restrictive, and clunky for me personally, and I definitely don't miss the Publics Works system at all. Things like Brewster were a neat novelty, but you experience all there is to do after two minutes. The mini games were fun, but again, nothing super noteworthy IMO.

As for New Horizons being unfinished? Yeah, I'm gonna have to disagree personally: It isn't that the game is unfinished IMO, it's that they changed priorities. HD development is waaaaaay more intensive than making a 3DS game, and everything as a result takes longer. Deadlines have to be made, so it most likely came down to this:

Port all of New Leaf's content, and run into the issue we did with City Folk where people complained the experience was too similar and felt like a port.

Or, try something new, and shift priorities over to expanded on customization and island personalization, which were by far the biggest complaints against New Leaf, as the OG Animal Crossing games had next to no way to make your town stand out outside your house. Creating your own, custom island with Public Works and patterns was a HUUUUUUGE part of NL, so the devs saw that and chose to make this the focus. This means that due to limits to how much you can do in so little time, not everything can just come over: Video game development is a long, hard, often thankless process, and sometimes, sacrifices have to be made to try new ideas.

As for "Why don't they just update it, then?" Well, the biggest issue comes down to:

Money.

See, Nintendo (so far) has kept all of these updates free. This severely limits how much effort and manpower they're going to put into a project, as, hey, people gotta get paid, and making free updates cannot sustain actual substantial content because of that. You're not gonna pay a huge team of devs to work on something that won't keep consistent revenue coming in.

As for Villager dialogue...Agree somewhat. Jocks feel horrible in this game: The yell about muscles and that's it. The other types, though? They...Feel about as good as they did in New Leaf. Heck, even when they visited you in NL, they barely said anything different: The dialogue was super limiting and repetitive.

EDIT: Oh, and buildings.

TBH they didn't get rid of their functionalities, they just...Streamlined them. Those shops functions still exist, it's just you can access them through quick menus now rather than being forced to go to a location. I personally view this as a QoL thing.

That all said...

It's all subjective! If you don't enjoy the game, then I'm sorry it isn't for you. I personally think it's the best one yet with some flaws and things that bug me (furniture sets are limited, a lot of annoying timegating, etc) but it doesn't ruin the experience for me personally.

To each their own, as they say. :dr^_^:

Last edited:

KingBooGengar57

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-6126-0782-8125
I need some help updating Mario Golf. I'm using Ver 1.1.0 and it says I'm using the latest version of the software even though a new version was released today,

MooMew64

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
The difference of difficulty between The Hopeful & The Pointless is night and day, holy crap.

Then again, The Pointless "normal" mode is Pain, and i'm playin' Hopeful on Normal, sooo who know how the later in Pain mode will be.

Noipoi

Howdy!
D

Deleted member

The mod I always installed and then never did anything with, lol.
Same for me, except it was Tinker’s Construct. as a kid, that mod was way too big brain for me to understand anything, but I put it into every modpack i made just cause I liked the concept of the mod

edit: this also applies to technology based mods that have power supplies and everything.

Last edited by a moderator:

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
I have beaten Shantae and the Pirate’s Curse. Next up is Half-Genie Hero and Seven Sirens.

And then I will definitely play Shantae 6 when it happens. And PLEASE, finally show us Shantae’s parents!

KingBooGengar57

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-6126-0782-8125
I’m viewing a bunch of Twitter replies on the Mario Golf update announcement.
Some of them are like “the game was rushed and unfinished”
Others are like “no, it ain’t. It has free content updates which are better than Mario Tennis Aces and Animal Crossing New Horizons. Also, there were promises of free content updates at e3”

MooMew64

I’m viewing a bunch of Twitter replies on the Mario Golf update announcement.
Some of them are like “the game was rushed and unfinished”
Others are like “no, it ain’t. It has free content updates which are better than Mario Tennis Aces and Animal Crossing New Horizons. Also, there were promises of free content updates at e3”
Just Twitter being Twitter. I wouldn't worry about it. :drshrug:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom