• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social THE Social Thread 2.0

Which was your favorite new Pokémon revealed from the Scarlet and Violet trailer?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

drag0nscythe

Smash Master
Ok, my stance is that people wanting to see people of their color representing characters of their color is not racist at all, and it makes sense given the lack of diversity of workplaces like the voice acting industry.

You say best voice for the job, sure, but you still have discriminatory practices that exclude marginalized communities from getting that job even if their voice is perfect for that character. Thus, there's a big push for diversity in the workplace as well as breaking down discriminatory barriers, as well as having better representation in media.

That's my stance.
Is that a royal you? I do not have discriminatory practices that exclude marginalized communities. I dont even work in that industry. And isnt there a level of discrimination applied if we go "whites play whites. black play blacks" sounds like fighting the symptoms and not fighting the problems. More work needs to be done to give more opportunities to voice act. Saying "Only for thee because of X" is not helping the issue. It is a poorly designed bandaid.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
Speaking of old animation, I learned about a certain video that's in the public domain.

The first NSFW cartoon made in the 1920's.

And people think that people nowadays are ****ed up in the head, good lord lol.
I heard of the oldest NSFW anime that is kept under lock and key at a Japanese museum because it's so old that if they played it it would turn to dust.
It's basically considered lost media at this point.

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
Is that a royal you? I do not have discriminatory practices that exclude marginalized communities. I dont even work in that industry. And isnt there a level of discrimination applied if we go "whites play whites. black play blacks" sounds like fighting the symptoms and not fighting the problems. More work needs to be done to give more opportunities to voice act. Saying "Only for thee because of X" is not helping the issue. It is a poorly designed bandaid.
??? Of course I'm not referring to you, I'm referring to the industry and their discriminatory practices. And there's something wrong with a minority playing a minority? Not only does it help them fit the character more, but it helps people of color to relate to the character better, as well as the aspiring VAs to know that their talent won't go unheard. How's that discriminatory? Like, I'd much rather have a black guy play a black charavter instead of a white dude faking a blaccent (black accent), or have an asian dude play an asian character, rather than fake a terrible asian accent. That's what most people want from the VA industry.

drag0nscythe

Smash Master
I heard of the oldest NSFW anime that is kept under lock and key at a Japanese museum because it's so old that if they played it it would turn to dust.
It's basically considered lost media at this point.
They need to digitize that then. to avoid losing it forever.

??? Of course I'm not referring to you, I'm referring to the industry and their discriminatory practices. And there's something wrong with a minority playing a minority? Not only does it help them fit the character more, but it helps people of color to relate to the character better, as well as the aspiring VAs to know that their talent won't go unheard. How's that discriminatory? Like, I'd much rather have a black guy play a black charavter instead of a white dude faking a blaccent (black accent), or have an asian dude play an asian character, rather than fake a terrible asian accent. That's what most people want from the VA industry.
While i do not disagree mostly, I still like Samurai Jack and Phillip LaMarr 's portrayal. I still enjoyed Bosco's original voice more then the new one. this 1-to-1 idea is not going to help the industry in the long run. If we are going to authentic accents and casting characters as such, it is best to get those more experienced. But the VA industry is what needs to be addressed. I can very easily seeing the extreme happening in this where exclusion will be pushed.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I don't remember the last time I got an infraction tbh, most of the time I'm doing or saying stupid ****.
I’ve gotten a couple for doing stupid ****, but it’s definitely not as bad as on my old account. I was so close to getting banned at one point. (and technically, I did get banned, for like, 20 minutes.)

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
I love how synonymous Ramen has become with moderating this thread lately that nobody ever mentions poor NSG and SneakyLink.

They all do a great job.
Nobody mentions me because that would be Specifically signaling me out. We all know what happens then.

Seriously though it just means Ramen is doing a great job and that’s what matters.

Last edited:

drag0nscythe

Smash Master
There's a really good opportunity for a decent basketball game with Space Jam 2.
Maybe. After the trailer, I am not sure if I am that interested in Ready Player Toon. wish they had stuck with the 2D the entire movie like the first space jam.
but most trailers usually fail movies. It might be better upon release.

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
All the mods do a really good job, Ramen just is the most active in this thread which is why we all meme on him.

But he's a real cool guy, same with the other mods.

But I gotta disagree with his Arms character of choice. Min Min is real cute, but believe in Twintelle supremacy.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
I’m also Super Mod now which means I got a lot more responsibility too and while it’s not super busy everywhere there’s still stuff to do so I’m just not as active in here as I wish I was. Showing SneakyLink and Ramen the ropes and helping them on decisions is another thing as well. They’ve got the handle on it now so I basically know the thread is in fantastic hands.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom