• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social THE Social Thread 2.0

Which was your favorite new Pokémon revealed from the Scarlet and Violet trailer?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
Keep in mind that,if this rumor is true, this is what Gamefreak has done in the gap between BoTW1 and 2.

• USUM
  • LGPE
  • Little Town Hero
  • SWSH
  • SWSH DLC
  • Gen 9
6 major pieces of content... and maybe more, we don't know when BoTW2 comes out
In all fairness, two of them are just expansions, and I wouldn't call Little Town Hero big by any means, let alone a quality game.

D

Deleted member

Keep in mind that,if this rumor is true, this is what Gamefreak has done in the gap between BoTW1 and 2.

• USUM
  • LGPE
  • Little Town Hero
  • SWSH
  • SWSH DLC
  • Gen 9
6 major pieces of content... and maybe more, we don't know when BoTW2 comes out
I am sorry, but BOTW and BOTW 2 would probably take more effort to make than these games.

I am not saying "New Pokemon Bad", I am just saying that BOTW was crazy in terms of effort and content.

D

Deleted member

Crash 4 is getting brutal and as much as I love the game, I don't think I'll 106%. They really embraced the whole "hiding crates offscreen" aspect, it's much more common in this game than the original trilogy combined, it feels like. Also I wish there was an easier way to do the whole perfect run challenges. Right now when you die, you have to completely restart the level from the pause menu, which for some reason has to load the level again, resulting in a huge time sink. Especially weird because that's not an issue with time trials and restarting from checkpoints. You'd think with the level already loaded, you could just quickly restart. Seems like a weird oversight to me. Another small issue I have are the grinding section. They are fine enough, but sometimes I simply have trouble seeing what's ahead. Maybe it's the level design, camera work or a mix of both. But then again, I am kinda bad with depth perception to begin with.

And lastly, screw Polar. His hitbox just feels off (I swear, I phased through crates more than once) and his controls also much more floaty than the riding stages in past games. Oftentimes it just feel like I'm barely in control.

I really like Tawna, Dingodile and Cortex though, they're fun to use. Same with the new masks, though sometimes I forget Aku-Aku exists, He doesn't appear often, neither in stages nor cutscenes, which is a shame. Seeing Oxide and his hovercraft was a nice surprise as well, I wasn't expecting that.

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
I am sorry, but BOTW and BOTW 2 would probably take more effort to make than these games.

I am not saying "New Pokemon Bad", I am just saying that BOTW was crazy in terms of effort and content.
The logic also kinda falters because Zelda had multiple games come out in between that era as well.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Crash 4 is getting brutal and as much as I love the game, I don't think I'll 106%. They really embraced the whole "hiding crates offscreen" aspect, it's much more common in this game than the original trilogy combined, it feels like. Also I wish there was an easier way to do the whole perfect run challenges. Right now when you die, you have to completely restart the level from the pause menu, which for some reason has to load the level again, resulting in a huge time sink. Especially weird because that's not an issue with time trials and restarting from checkpoints. You'd think with the level already loaded, you could just quickly restart. Seems like a weird oversight to me. Another small issue I have are the grinding section. They are fine enough, but sometimes I simply have trouble seeing what's ahead. Maybe it's the level design, camera work or a mix of both. But then again, I am kinda bad with depth perception to begin with.

And lastly, screw Polar. His hitbox just feels off (I swear, I phased through crates more than once) and his controls also much more floaty than the riding stages in past games. Oftentimes it just feel like I'm barely in control.

I really like Tawna, Dingodile and Cortex though, they're fun to use. Same with the new masks, though sometimes I forget Aku-Aku exists, He doesn't appear often, neither in stages nor cutscenes, which is a shame. Seeing Oxide and his hovercraft was a nice surprise as well, I wasn't expecting that.
Honestly, Polar’s controls are only bad when you’re trying to get all the boxes. Just getting through the level is pretty okay. And yeah. The load times suck. But otherwise the game is really fun! And I think that the hidden boxes are actually semi-rare. I’ve lost count of the ammount of times I’ve gotten all the boxes on my first go at the level.

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280

Yes! That's the point! Gamefreak puts very little effort into their content so they can release more of it, they released 6 important releases in the same time that the Zelda team released one ( I'll count the BoTW DLC.)
The logic also kinda falters because Zelda had multiple games come out in between that era as well.
The difference is that all the other games were handled by other companies/subsideraries, but Gamefreak did all of that themselves.

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
Btw, the Link's Awakening remake was ass.

Ok, not like bad, but it was $60 for a gameboy game that added almost nothing new. And it's buggy as all hell.

It's a fine game, but it's worth like $25.

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304

"Quality" over "Quantity"

TPC and GF are sacrificing Quality in their games in order to sell more Quantity, this is the issue. Nintendo was still able to get a Zelda related game out every year, but they still managed to release a high quality title with more effort than it needed like BotW.

It's still up in the air how much effort is going into Age of Calamity, but it's looking to be a bigger title than expected.

D

Deleted member

Honestly, Polar’s controls are only bad when you’re trying to get all the boxes. Just getting through the level is pretty okay.
I mean, getting all boxes is part of the game, so saying the controls are fine as long as you ignore part of a challenge the game expects you to do doesn't exactly make it good. Don't get me wrong, I love the game, but they either should adjust Polar's controls or hitbox, as it is right now, the crate run feels half skill, half luck.

But if you just want to finish the stage, then yeah, Polar's controls are fine enough. Still not as good as in older games though.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
With that said, with no new game this year, and SwSh's assets being able to be reused and repurposed, we might be seeing a SuMo to SwSh's X&Y.

Hopefully
Regardless, they should still take their time with these games. Three year gaps hasn't been good for the franchise, two years plus a system with higher standards is going to be worse.

D

Deleted member

There was a problem fetching the tweet
Finally
View attachment 289820
The High Quality animations
Now this is the animation I've been looking for!
I don't get it. I mean, I guess it's good for a pokemon game. But other games have had good cutscenes for a long time.
When compared to the cutscenes from the base game it's a HUGGGGEEE improvment. The characters actually move rather than do 180 rotations to approach the player and have very dynamic walk cycles and poses rather than an idle animation and a half-assed walkcycle that looks like it was genererated by a.i. That alone deserves praise.

The question really.... is will the Tundra retain this level of quality throughout, or is this just an outlier? Hard to say, but my bets is on the latter rather than the former

Last edited by a moderator:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Pikachu actually got a stealth nerf in the projectile parry bug fix. Pikachu's main strategy is to use a Thunderjolt to cover his approach, but now parrying that on reaction is a viable option against him.

There's also the fact that Pikachu's not nearly as broken as people make him out to be. He's not dominating the competitive scene in the way characters like Joker are and his strengths and weaknesses tend to get overstated and understated respectively (heck the way people talk about Pika makes it sound like he doesn't have weaknesses, which is flat out untrue).

I think a lot of people just find the character annoying to fight because of his pancaking and combos, so they get frustrated and overstate how good he really is. There's also ESAM, but he's been saying Pikachu's OP since Brawl and I don't know why people have suddenly decided to start listening to him now.
Sometimes I don't think it's actually annoying matches against Pikachu players that are pissing people off, but rather that by having this Pokemon be high in the tier list, it reminds them that Pokemon has more than just two edgy furries.

D

Deleted member

You know Pokemon has been seriously slacking in terms of animation when a totally average cutscene has people freaking out.
Pretty much yeah. It's been pretty subpar since X and Y.
I'm not even asking for a BoTW open world GoTD. I'd just like a Pokemon game that's a bit less linear, a bit more difficult (or with difficulty options), and with more post game content.
If nothing else I would love to be able to ditch the story and just start wherever I want to in like a new game + thing. Would be a fun feature.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
Pretty late to the party but I finnaly caught Into The Spiderverse

Found it a bit predictable at points and I kinda knew some key plot elements having been sorta familiar with the source material and stuff, but the animation was gorgeous and the shout-outs to past Spider-Man material got me giddy. The post credits scenes in particular gave me a good chuckle.

Overall, a really well done movie and a charming tribute to Spider-Man's legacy. Still shocks me this was the same studio that did Emoji Movie only like a year earlier.

If I have to give it a rating, uhh... 8.5/10

Last edited:

Rangez

Dimensional Dile-Up
Say, for anyone who's interested, I've made a new thread in the Gaming forums section dedicated to a concept for a Shonen Jump vs. Capcom. Take a look at it some time!

Also, Wademan94 Wademan94 .

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
I don't get it. I mean, I guess it's good for a pokemon game. But other games have had good cutscenes for a long time.
It's easier to recite the High Quality Animations meme than say "they actually animated it instead of fading to black and using text boxes to describe things"

Ivander

Smash Legend
Wait Fall Guys isn't free?

(Lmao can't believe that's censored I'm dying)
I think Fall Guys was free on Playstation Plus.

That said, what's the problem with Fall Guys not being as popular when it first came out? Eventually people get tired of playing one game over and over. It happens to alot of trend games. Among Us won't be that different. There's already another game starting to find lots of popularity over Among Us and that is Phasmophobia. And I think another one is starting to find attention as well, called "In Silence".

Fall Guys has reached that point where some of the people doing it for the popularity, views and whatnot are going and the fanbase is slowly becoming the Core fanbase, which happens for alot of other trend games. And that's not a bad thing.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
With that said, with no new game this year, and SwSh's assets being able to be reused and repurposed, we might be seeing a SuMo to SwSh's X&Y.

Hopefully
A China region would be cool, but I really hope it's not next year. I liked SWSH, but it was obviously rushed and needed more time. Going directly into the next gen two years later (a smaller gap then it has ever been before) would make it worse.
Well....

It might not be then. Don’t know how I would feel about sequels. If they do them, they need to expand the region size imo and add more to do. With maybe the DLC islands having a role in the storY and new Pokémon.

D

Deleted member

Well....

It might not be then. Don’t know how I would feel about sequels. If they do them, they need to expand the region size imo and add more to do. With maybe the DLC islands having a role in the storY and new Pokémon.
I was not expecting a Vanguard reference LMAO

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom