• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social THE Social Thread 2.0

Which was your favorite new Pokémon revealed from the Scarlet and Violet trailer?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

Literally my second run of Moo Manchu's tower half the team rage quits because I don't want to do the stupid Cabin glitch

Are you actually kidding me

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Still can't believe they named the black and white agents Agent Black and Agent White.
Wasn't it the other way around though? It's not as cringe as Black Widow telling Black Panther he'll never know what it's like to have to fight for his freedom because the writers had no better characters to make racist against Inhumans than Black Panther I guess

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
Landing a killing spike with Falcon Dair is pure bliss.
cool glasses vegeta.jpg
Been a long time since I played Ultimate, and that kind of stuff is why I want to play it more.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
A counterpoint though, all 3 Pokémon they would have are already close to being full models in smash, making it easier to do.

Cyndaquill has been a pokeball Pokémon. Just import its models and upscale it a bit and there you go. It would be like the melee characters essentially.

Oshowatt is a Pokémon ball, but you could use it as a base to model dewott.

Decideueye sounds like Sakurai actually did models and work in with how he talks about it. Very plausible imo that they have a model in game laying around somewhere they could use.

Some of the attack animations can be taken from Pokémon trainer like Ember for example. Now if the final forms of the starters are different in that game then it may be harder. But depending on the decideye counterparts design, they might be able to repurpose the model they have.

It be trickier to do another trainer but I don’t think it’s unlikely. It’s a first party character so they save big on the licensing and music budget. Which definitely is a big part of the budget for a character.

Gamefreak also gives Sakurai models super early, so there is a good chance he would have plenty of time to implement this character if he wanted. It may also be why the pass has a December deadline. Maybe we get the trainer revealed in like September or something with a October release date. By then we will probably learn something on Legends as it would be a few months out. The shinnoh remakes would be around the corner As well. Syncing up pretty nicely imo.

I could be wrong but I’m pretty sure the trainer themselves would take one of the six slots with the Pokémon filling the three slots left in that scenario as I’m pretty sure that’s how the trainer is coded now but again I may be mistaking.
Cyndaquil hasn't been in Smash since Brawl with the trophy, and hasn't had a model with actual animations in the series since Melee. So they'd have to draw from a model probably three generations back and then also get updated to a playable model and get a moveset ready. By comparison, Mewtwo already had a moveset made and was a playable character only two generations after his last appearance, and still needed a lot of work to get up to par with the rest of the cast at the time.

Oshawott not only would have to be updated due to being a weaker model (the Pokeball Pokemon are of lesser quality then the playable characters to ease stress on the system), it would also have to be changed to make it Dewott as they're not the exact same.

The only thing we know about Decidueye is that it was considered alongside Incineroar, which doesn't imply it had any work done. It could've just gotten far in the planning stages before ultimately getting sidelined for the latter, nothing about that would require a model.

Even if the models were given to them by GF, they still would require work to be used in Smash as they're not 1:1 with each other. The former requires more animations, details, rigging, textures, etc. then their original counterparts that would all have to be done to get the characters up to par with the rest of the cast.

Additionally, one thing that's often ignored with promotional characters is that they're released much closer to the release date of the game or even after it's released. Byleth, Incineroar, and Greninja all released after their respective games, Corrin was released after the Japanese release of Fates and was released within two weeks of the global release, and Roy was intended to release after FE6 and only debuted in Melee due to the former's delay. Legends is releasing early next year and from what we're seeing the last character is probably popping up around early fall. That's a good few months between the potential character and the game it's meant to promote. As for the remakes being used as a clutch, the issue with that is they don't seem to share major faces between each other despite the region, and the starters in particular (Oshawott, Rowlett, and Cyndaquil) don't seem to have a role at all in the remakes, so their promotional value for that game in particular is very limited.

In the end, a Legends Trainer is something that would require a lot more work for a character that wouldn't really be promotional by the time they came out. Pyra/Mythra already required a good amount of work and they shared a lot of elements between each other, Pokemon with three different models, animations, moves and the like would definitely be very demanding of the team. The amount of work for such a character cannot be understated, and we have to remember that when talking about a potential 3-in-1 character like them.

Last edited:

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
Wasn't it the other way around though? It's not as cringe as Black Widow telling Black Panther he'll never know what it's like to have to fight for his freedom because the writers had no better characters to make racist against Inhumans than Black Panther I guess
Yeah, it was the other way around. Irony I guess.

Also, I saw that Black Widow and Black Panther crap on Twitter. I don't really watch this show, but it reminded me of this one line on Grey's Anatomy where some white doctor said that a black doctor hosting a guys night was like when laywers held parties and didn't invite their black colleagues, like...

Who writes these lines?

So woke that you end up becoming racist.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Man people are really getting on the Pokemon Legends Trainer boat. But remember, the game was only JUST announced and isn't releasing till 2022. And while he might not need to play Legends to get the basis for the movesets for the starters, he would need to play it for everything else. The Stage, the music, spirits, all of that. And considering even the final character is almost certainly in development at this moment, I doubt he has been able to get access to these necessary development elements. So while the Legends Trainer seems like a perfect idea, it's not that simple and likely is not on of the final two.

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
Just playing against a Pikachu CPU with Falcon made me understand why this match-up suck for the Captain.

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
Man people are really getting on the Pokemon Legends Trainer boat. But remember, the game was only JUST announced and isn't releasing till 2022. And while he might not need to play Legends to get the basis for the movesets for the starters, he would need to play it for everything else. The Stage, the music, spirits, all of that. And considering even the final character is almost certainly in development at this moment, I doubt he has been able to get access to these necessary development elements. So while the Legends Trainer seems like a perfect idea, it's not that simple and likely is not on of the final two.
Reminder people have asked for both Rex and Spring Man, LITERALLY as soon as their games were first announced before Smash was even a thing....at least that we knew of at the time. As well as for Gen 8 starters before Gen 8 was announced.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Reminder people have asked for both Rex and Spring Man, LITERALLY as soon as their games were first announced before Smash was even a thing....at least that we knew of at the time. As well as for Gen 8 starters before Gen 8 was announced.
Fair point. But they still didn't happen until long after the release of both games. I think the closest a character's inclusion and their games release have been was Byleth.

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
So yeah, Pyra and Mythra are fun. They're definitely giving Sephy and Min Min and run for their money for a spot in my top 3 for this game.

Although I keep using Mythra's neutral B from a distance 'cause for some reason I expect it to be a projectile. :079:
That’s side B

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
EDIT: Nevermind, I'm a fool of fate.

Last edited:

KingBooGengar57

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-6126-0782-8125
so lets count youre the 4th person being mean to me when i already admitted to the negative things i said

youre litterally 4 peoople against 1 person that already sorta apologized

You Guys also can be blamed for this so we have 2 "sides" and there is always Conflict escalation on both and i already admitted having 50-40% of the blame so just admit that everyone of youre 4 has 10-1,25 percent and were fine
We've turned the page on that. Now, we're talking about other stuff.

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
I don't know why the community has decided that Mythra and Kazooie are rivals

But all the stuff being made about it is hilarious.
Mainly to do with their hotheaded natures.

Think it was Kira who got the ball rolling

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom