• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Smasher's Ballad: Urbosa, Daruk, and Revali

Luminario

Smash Lord
Why is there not a combined thread for all 4 champions? Can we combine this with the Mipha thread or something? It just doesn't feel right to discuss them separately. Or if we're gonna discuss them separately, we could at least give them each their own thread.
For context, I made the Mipha thread myself first, then this thread was made.
It's up to the Mipha thread whether or not they want to merge, I think
That's fine with me.

zumaddy

Smash Ace
I'd be happy to merge threads if that's OK with mods or whoever is in charge of that. :)

Lenidem

Smash Lord
Maybe you can just change this thread's title to something like ''The Champions' support thread'' + the four names?

D

Deleted member

Figured I'd bump this old thread since my hype for Urbosa is building. Even if none of them get in Smash, we finally have playable Champions in a LOZ game :D
For a while I thought the most likely newcomers for Zelda had shaped up to be Impa and Skull Kid. And from an "in general" standpoint I do technically still stand by that.

But timing is important, and given both this and Breath of the Wild 2, I'm starting to think one of the Champions may very well be one of the characters they chose for fighter pass 2 before the Byleth presentation aired.

Obviously only one of them though. If I had to guess, I'd predict that Mipha is the most likely, Daruk and Revali are somewhere in the middle (I guess I would say Revali is more likely if I had to pick between the two.), and while it pains me to say it since she's my favorite Champion, I think Urbosa is the least likely.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Would any of you be upset if Impa made it instead?

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Ironically the only design of Impa's I really like is her HW one, which I doubt would be used. So I'd probably be a bit disappointed.
She's also gonna be playable in Age of Calamity. People have already spotted her in the trailer. And it makes a lot of sense for her to be there you'll have to admit.

She seemingly has a design close to Paya and HW but with longer hair, wayyyyyyy longer hair, and the straw hat from BotW she wears as an older woman.

Lenidem

Smash Lord
I would actually prefer Impa to any of the Champions. She's much more important to the Zelda lore, and she stands out from Daruk and co. Having one Champion over the others would feel weird.

D

Deleted member

Would any of you be upset if Impa made it instead?
Nope. Impa is also a solid option. And all the Zelda characters pull their designs from different games already. I could totally see them using, say, the Skyward Sword design while still giving her things like her Naginata.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Impa would be fine, but I doubt BotW or any games involving that version of Hyrule will be her ticket to Smash.

I know a lot of people argue that it wouldn't make sense to choose one Champion and leave out the others, but I think it would make even less sense to pass them up and add Impa instead. Both of the main games will likely use old Impa, meaning that the spin-off will be young Impa's only appearance. Then you have to understand that everything seems to point to Link, Zelda, and the Champions being the focus of that game's story. The absolute best-case scenario is Impa being the most important character after the latter six — a supporting character who helps you fight, but isn't nearly as crucial to the plot as the others are.

From a promotional standpoint, I don't think Impa is more likely than the Champions. The fact that they've featured the Champions on the boxart, made sure to give them lots of screentime in the initial trailer, and are reprinting their amiibo to launch alongside AoC speaks volumes to me.

For a while I thought the most likely newcomers for Zelda had shaped up to be Impa and Skull Kid. And from an "in general" standpoint I do technically still stand by that.

But timing is important, and given both this and Breath of the Wild 2, I'm starting to think one of the Champions may very well be one of the characters they chose for fighter pass 2 before the Byleth presentation aired.

Obviously only one of them though. If I had to guess, I'd predict that Mipha is the most likely, Daruk and Revali are somewhere in the middle (I guess I would say Revali is more likely if I had to pick between the two.), and while it pains me to say it since she's my favorite Champion, I think Urbosa is the least likely.
I will say, Urbosa has the advantage of being a more traditional fighter, and I feel like she'd be the easiest to work with.

Of course, you could also argue the opposite, which is why I'd probably rank the Champion's in the same order as you.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Yes of course the Champions get advertised more. But Impa is gonna be a very important character in this game. She and Zelda are gonna be the sole survivors after all, so both integral to the end game of Age of Calamity. Impa also boasts way more appearances than the Champions , and if we count Cadence of Hyrule this will be her 3rd playable role. The Champions are also pretty much guaranteed not to appear in BotW2, Impa likely will.

Still wouldn't be upset if one made it over Impa, don't get me wrong. I have my preferences. To me it's Impa >> Urbosa = Daruk > Revali >>> Mipha.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
This topic bothers me more than it probably. These characters should have their own support thread, or at least include Mipha with all of them

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Champions are also pretty much guaranteed not to appear in BotW2, Impa likely will.
I think it's a little premature to say the Champions won't be in BotW2 and Impa will. I could easily see all of them being present or completely absent.

Regardless, Impa's best shot right now is through AoC. In order for me to say Impa has a legitimate chance to be promoted with BotW2, I'd need to know three things:

1. Is she in the game?
2. Does young Impa make an appearance?
3. Is she one of the most important characters next to Link and Zelda?

Unless all three of these receive a "yes", I wouldn't feel like Nintendo would choose Impa to promote BotW2. Her role in this single game will be far more important to them than her entire history in the LoZ franchise to date. They need the character to be relevant to the content they're trying to promote.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I think it's a little premature to say the Champions won't be in BotW2 and Impa will. I could easily see all of them being present or completely absent.

Regardless, Impa's best shot right now is through AoC. In order for me to say Impa has a legitimate chance to be promoted with BotW2, I'd need to know three things:

1. Is she in the game?
2. Does young Impa make an appearance?
3. Is she one of the most important characters next to Link and Zelda?

Unless all three of these receive a "yes", I wouldn't feel like Nintendo would choose Impa to promote BotW2. Her role in this single game will be far more important to them than her entire history in the LoZ franchise to date. They need the character to be relevant to the content they're trying to promote.
Well it's all possible you know. Impa can appear as young again in BotW2, as Purah was working on that anti aging rune that turned her into a child. If nothing else, she could at least be inspired by Age of Calamity. Should also be more than enough honestly.

But you're right, maybe the Champions could return as well. Who knows. I just think Impa has the edge on them, because it's more likely that she will reappear again. And she has more roles, as well as being playable now for the 3rd time if we count Cadence of Hyrule.

We might even see her being revealed the 26th, or a Champion.

Dr. Jojo Phantasma

The Chessmaster
Sure we can argue about about whether a Champion or Impa could potentially be the character, but don't forget about the other serious contender, BOTW Zelda. Personally though I would love to have Mipha or Impa.

Handy Man

Smash Ace
I’m not a supporter, but I’ve met the english voice of Revali (Sean Chiplock) at a Smash tournament before. His tag is SonicMega, and he’s a very good Mega Man player. I guess my point is that I would be really happy for him if he was able to use a character he actually voice acted in competitive play.

Lenidem

Smash Lord
As much as I like the Champions, I hope they will stay dead in BotW2. Death should not be treated lightly, and they fulfilled their purpose: they deserve to rest in peace, and they have successors. I was negatively surprised that those didn't play any role at all after helping Link to reach their respective dungeon. So yeah, I hope that in the sequel, we will see more of the "new" Champions, inspired by their predecessors. Maybe several years after the end of BotW, so that the world can enjoy some sort of peace and the little goron grows up a bit.

D

Deleted member

This topic bothers me more than it probably. These characters should have their own support thread, or at least include Mipha with all of them
Well someone else made a Mipha thread first. I didn’t want to steal their thunder. That’s why the title of this thread only mentions the other 3.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
Well someone else made a Mipha thread first. I didn’t want to steal their thunder. That’s why the title of this thread only mentions the other 3.
I get that, but they should just have 3 different topics, the way it is now just bothers me

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I'd rather have four separate support threads instead of one that all four Champions share. Each of them have their own individual following, and each have completely unique abilities that aren't shared between themselves.

That's just me though. Feels like that would be a better option, especially since quite a few people don't like all four Champions.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
If a certain rumor/leak is true we may all get our wishes

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
What I just posted in the Mipha thread...

I know it was a highly unlikely option- but I really think Sakurai dropped the ball a bit by not adding Urbosa, Daruk, Revali, and Mipha as four separate characters in the base game. It would have completely satisfied so many boxes:
  • Number of unique Zelda characters
  • Fleshing out the World of Hyrule, in playstyle and species
  • It would showcase new Switch characters
  • Breath of the Wild was a huge monument.

I know we got fewer new characters this game in the base- but we have gotten four newcomers from series before- most notably Pokemon (which had four unique newcomers in Brawl), and the Mario and Fire Emblem- who met the 4 mark, though a couple were absolutely echoes.

3D Dillon

Smash Ace
According to rumors, it's unlikely we get any major news on BOTW2 (or any Zelda game) plus I think it's kinda early to reveal the details on the 2nd wave which won't be until November (The 1st wave's details weren't truly unveiled until the month it was released). Perhaps the CP11 character for Smash being the BOTW Champions will make up for this.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
My new desire is my old desire, that we actually get all four champions as separate characters. Now, for Zelda AND for Smash, that is what I call future-proofing.

Top Bottom