• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Smash World Tour is Back for 2021!

Smash_world_Tour_2021.jpg

The Smash World Tour Twitter account recently announced there will be a 2021 iteration of the international tournament series for Super Smash Bros. Ultimate and Super Smash Bros. Melee!

As you’re probably aware, the Smash World Tour originally was announced in 2020 as a planned international circuit. Like many things in 2020 it was cancelled as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic and the many safety concerns that came with that. Thankfully though this didn’t mean it was gone forever, however a portion of it will now take place online.

The way it works now is that Ultimate players can compete in online qualifiers based on what region they’re in. If they reach the top 16, they’ll be invited to an in-person regional final. It’s a tad different for Melee players though, instead of online qualifiers, a community panel for each region will determine which 16 players get sent to their respective regional final.

Players in their respective regionals will compete to win prize money from a pool of 60,000 USD. And, if they do well enough, they’ll be sent to another in-person final event with 32 entrants for their respective game. There, they can win even more money from a prize pool of at least 150,000 USD! If you’re interested in playing, please check out the rules and tentative schedule here: https://smashworldtour.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/02/SWT-2021-Rulebook-2020.2.16.pdf and https://smashworldtour.com/schedule-of-events/

swt-format.png

Author’s Note: While I’m excited to see it’s back, it feels a little bittersweet knowing my internet will still be too awful to participate. I’m also a little concerned over whether or not it will be safe for the players and organizers by the time they do in-person events. I really hope it will be! But enough about what I think, what do you think? Please let us know in the comments below!

Credits:
Graphics: Zerp Zerp
Social: Zerp Zerp
Writing: Zerp Zerp

Mitchell "Zerp" Brenkus

Comments

I hope this will be safe enough for all players! I hope they're planning to take things slow, and social distance. If everything is kept clean and setups are far apart, this could work. I know we're all dying for offline to return, but that's better than any players dying, or their families. What I want more than anything is for everyone to be safe, but if they've figured out a way to do that, let's hope this goes well!

I hope this will be safe enough for all players! I hope they're planning to take things slow, and social distance. If everything is kept clean and setups are far apart, this could work. I know we're all dying for offline to return, but that's better than any players dying, or their families. What I want more than anything is for everyone to be safe, but if they've figured out a way to do that, let's hope this goes well!
Yeah I feel pretty much exactly the same, I really, really want to see offline stuff again but the main priority needs to be everyone's safety.

So sick. Hopefully they can rebuild the hype that the world tour had before covid19 **** on it.

Top Bottom