• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Smash Stick Kickstarter is Live!

the-smash-stick-kickstarter-is-live.png

Over the last few years, the Smash community has seen the rise and fall of both the SmashBox and Boxx controllers, but recently a new type of controller has entered the fray - the Smash Stick.

The Smash Stick is an arcade stick designed for both platform fighters and traditional fighting games. The arcade stick is designed to solve the issue of its predecessors through the inclusion of an analog joystick and ergonomic button layout. It also has a wide variety of features that cater to different smash games.

What makes the analog joystick unique?
  • The smash stick features a 100% analog joystick. It can perform all the angles and values that a traditional Gamecube controller can.
  • Its octagon gate gives players easy access to commonly used angles, working similarly to notches. In fact, the bottom-corner “notches” of the joystick are aligned to perform shield drops straight out of the box.
  • The Smash Stick uses non-contacting analog sensor for inputs. This will prevent performance degradation over time.

A closer look at the Smash Stick’s buttons
  • The button layout on the Smash Stick is a “home-row” layout, meaning that players won’t have to move their hands to reach all the buttons on the controller, minimizing the stress put on their hands.
  • The Smash Stick uses modified Sanwa Denshi buttons that absorb impact, speed up your inputs, and are almost silent while playing.
  • Each button on the Smash Stick is raised. This reduces finger movement considerably compared to Gamecube controllers and lower quality arcade sticks.

The Smash Stick comes complete with 3 detachable cables for Nintendo 64, Gamecube, and PC, and features two separate button layout settings - one for platform fighters, and another for traditional fighting games.

Their Kickstarter has pledge options ranging from $225 to $475, and features rewards like early access to the controller. You can visit their Kickstarter today to learn more and pledge!

Author’s Note: I’m genuinely a pretty big fan of this type of controller, largely because I played a lot of Street Fighter on arcade sticks before coming to the Smash community. What's your opinion on the Smash Stick? Is it better, worse, or about the same as the other Gamecube controller alternatives?

Michael "SuperCres" Ashby

Comments

This seems really cool, but idk if i could ever switch from gamecube and traditional controllers, Im too used to them at this point. Regardless this is a cool idea

The problem with all these fancy controllers is that people who have been using the GC controller for years will never switch

The problem with all these fancy controllers is that people who have been using the GC controller for years will never switch
Yeah, I mean I would not mind trying it. I just don't want to spend money on an expensive controller when I feel comfortable with the one i have. But if it was cheap i would not mind giving it a try

Is it just me or is $200+ a bit high? Cool idea, but in my opinion the price is too high, especially since many people are already used to a GC controller, so switching won't accur pretty often at that price point. But that's my opinion, I'm just a noob so w/e

As someone who is also a big 2D fighting game player I am actually really excited about this. I was just testing Melee with my Qanba stick to see how easy some of the tech is and I found most of it easier. I was able to do Marth's double fair more consistently as well as wave shine. Most of us that use fight sticks are used to them being around the $200 dollar range anyway. The fact that I can also use this for other games like Tatsunoko vs Capcom is even more appealing. There is a market here. I'm just not sure how big.

Is it just me or is $200+ a bit high? Cool idea, but in my opinion the price is too high, especially since many people are already used to a GC controller, so switching won't accur pretty often at that price point. But that's my opinion, I'm just a noob so w/e
A decent fightstick that's massed produced by a large company will cost you a third more than this. It's honestly not a bad price point

This seems really cool, but idk if i could ever switch from gamecube and traditional controllers, Im too used to them at this point. Regardless this is a cool idea
I think that viewpoint completely disregards people that want to get into Smash, that currently play traditional fighters

I'm really interested in the Smash stick, but I've never liked the idea of kickstarters. The concept that I'm essentially placing an order for something that'll come a year from now just boggles my mind. I'm so impatient I can barely wait for my Amazon prime shipping times. I want my instant gratification and I want it now!

D
I've been wanting an Analogue Fight Stick for the longest time. If I had the money, I'd 100% drop 400$ on it. I hope this takes off the ground regardless, I do wanna get my hands on one eventually.

There is a market for people who are used to playing traditional fighting games, but want to get into Smash. Some are used to being able to perform quick inputs with as much ease as possible and want to make use of their fingers in the most comfortable (and optimal) position. Obviously, there's gonna be many people (such as myself) who grew up with Smash and therefore prefer playing on a controller, but I can see why others prefer the arcade stick.

Can I buy it once the campaign is over? This would be an amazing alternative to Notch controllers such Kadano doesn't make an anymore. Plus I'm broke.

The day 1 numbers were strong but the pledges are slowing down. I don't think the goal is going to be met :(

I'm not a fan of joysticks, but I'm glad this might be an option soon, because after almost 2 decades of playing smash, I've developed tendinitis. I might not be able to play Smash 5 without it.

Yeah, I mean I would not mind trying it. I just don't want to spend money on an expensive controller when I feel comfortable with the one i have. But if it was cheap i would not mind giving it a try
This is kind of a premium for arcade fighting players as they are used to pl aying like this.

I don't think I'll be making the switch. Honestly, I doubt I'll even get around to purchasing a switch and smash ultimate within the next year even so I'm definitely not someone who is looking to spend an extra 200 bucks on a specialized controller. Times are tough right now so I'll just stick to watching all the videos I can and hopefully I'll find someone in the OSU area that would be willing to let me in on their system. lol

With all that said. I welcome anything like this because I know how much the hardcore fighting game players like these things. I imagine if anything is going to really appeal to them about the game, something like this would.

Hmm, a little tangentially connected here, but has anyone confirmed if those Switch Hori fightsticks are compatible with Ultimate? I was thinking of snagging one since I'm considering playing SF and Skullgirls on the side as well.

View attachment 180612

Over the last few years, the Smash community has seen the rise and fall of both the SmashBox and Boxx controllers, but recently a new type of controller has entered the fray - the Smash Stick.

The Smash Stick is an arcade stick designed for both platform fighters and traditional fighting games. The arcade stick is designed to solve the issue of its predecessors through the inclusion of an analog joystick and ergonomic button layout. It also has a wide variety of features that cater to different smash games.

What makes the analog joystick unique?
  • The smash stick features a 100% analog joystick. It can perform all the angles and values that a traditional Gamecube controller can.
  • Its octagon gate gives players easy access to commonly used angles, working similarly to notches. In fact, the bottom-corner “notches” of the joystick are aligned to perform shield drops straight out of the box.
  • The Smash Stick uses non-contacting analog sensor for inputs. This will prevent performance degradation over time.

A closer look at the Smash Stick’s buttons
  • The button layout on the Smash Stick is a “home-row” layout, meaning that players won’t have to move their hands to reach all the buttons on the controller, minimizing the stress put on their hands.
  • The Smash Stick uses modified Sanwa Denshi buttons that absorb impact, speed up your inputs, and are almost silent while playing.
  • Each button on the Smash Stick is raised. This reduces finger movement considerably compared to Gamecube controllers and lower quality arcade sticks.

The Smash Stick comes complete with 3 detachable cables for Nintendo 64, Gamecube, and PC, and features two separate button layout settings - one for platform fighters, and another for traditional fighting games.

Their Kickstarter has pledge options ranging from $225 to $475, and features rewards like early access to the controller. You can visit their Kickstarter today to learn more and pledge!

Author’s Note: I’m genuinely a pretty big fan of this type of controller, largely because I played a lot of Street Fighter on arcade sticks before coming to the Smash community. What's your opinion on the Smash Stick? Is it better, worse, or about the same as the other Gamecube controller alternatives?
This is so cool I love this I will totally be picking this up if it gets made

I like the idea coming from a traditional fighter background with Street Fighter I could get use to this stick, but when it comes to playing smash I have only ever used the Gamecube controller and I feel far more comfortable at this point.

But I would try it out

Finally, an actual arcade STICK! I was a little scared that we would be all doomed to get nothing but button boxes for the rest of our lives.
Still no turbo, though, so unless it comes at a reasonable price (under $60), consider it stupid.

Finally, an actual arcade STICK! I was a little scared that we would be all doomed to get nothing but button boxes for the rest of our lives.
Still no turbo, though, so unless it comes at a reasonable price (under $60), consider it stupid.
That's completely unreasonable. the board alone would cost more then that. I thnk 150-200 dollars is completely reasonable

I am, 60 dollars is far to cheap. you didn't factor in shipping and handling. 60 dollars is probably enough for the board. much less building the entire thing buying the buttons and sticks and shipping it out to people. I think you're the one who's gotta think

I am, 60 dollars is far to cheap. you didn't factor in shipping and handling. 60 dollars is probably enough for the board. much less building the entire thing buying the buttons and sticks and shipping it out to people. I think you're the one who's gotta think
You don't understand my post, do you? I often times will make no real contributions and simply take any spelling mistake and isolate everything else. For example:
far to cheap
And also, don't forget: this is a controller. That costs two hundred dollars. I can get a Mayflash F300 for fifty bucks on Amazon with free shipping.

You don't understand my post, do you? I often times will make no real contributions and simply take any spelling mistake and isolate everything else. For example:

And also, don't forget: this is a controller. That costs two hundred dollars. I can get a Mayflash F300 for fifty bucks on Amazon with free shipping.
well then get that

Top Bottom