• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Smash Lab Standard Terms List 2.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

danyo

Smash Rookie
Hey all, I'm new here as well. I don't play Brawl much since I don't have a Wii but I've noticed something.

Is there a term for what I'd describe as "wallhugging"? Like on stages like FD, if you're under that sloped part of the ledge, I see some characters slide up the slanted part and grab onto the ledge without using their third jump. I noticed not all characters can do this though.... or am I mistaken? And how do you do this, just press shield and move the control stick against the slope?

Is this just a "tech" as it's so called?

see:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yFj4bPrucbE#t=1m57s

B.A.M.

Smash Lord
NNID
Bambatta
but Dash Dance Pivot isnt true pivot at all. one allows you to cancel a dash into another dash going the opposite direction, the other allows you to cancel a dash completely. How is that the same thing?

C.J.

Smash Master
true pivot allows you to cancel your dash so that you can do anything you want.

Dashing the other way falls into the category of "anything you want" last I checked.

B.A.M.

Smash Lord
NNID
Bambatta
@CJ

True Pivot [Universal] - Interrupting an initial dash with a turn around.

This is why you are an idiot. I am referring to their standards. Stop trying to be clever and get better at the game. When you DDP you are interrupting a dash into another dash. You dont go to neutral.

@Yikarur: Dash Dance Pivot is basically initiating a dash dance (under your terminology) at the end of a dash. That doesn't correlate with your true pivot definition. Granted I could understand you just leaving DDP as a mixture of dashing and dash dance, however I do believe this particular movement is worthy enough to be in its own category. Its what gives characters a movement that is more akin to Melee's Dash Dance that its brawl counterpart ( especially sheiks haha). A lot of people arent necessarily sure what it is, so I do believe it would be a good definition to place on your list. Just my opinion of course, but I just wanted to bring that to your attention.

Keep it up Smash Labs! I cant wait for your thread on SDI! So excited man.

Mr-R

Smash Champion
I've got a question, how come sometimes when I downthrow metaknight ( as snake ) I can jab immedietly if they decide to do a getup attack/normal getup which puts them in some sort of weird animation, but sometimes it won't work. Is that completely random ?

B.A.M.

Smash Lord
NNID
Bambatta
I've got a question, how come sometimes when I downthrow metaknight ( as snake ) I can jab immedietly if they decide to do a getup attack/normal getup which puts them in some sort of weird animation, but sometimes it won't work. Is that completely random ?
If they dont buffer any of their get up actions, you can jab them. It works that way for other characters as well. I also believe it work for regular get up, even if they buffer it. So it basically forces your opponent to move now or get jab ftilted/grab shenanigans.

Fierce Deku

Smash Cadet
Awesome. Great for the obvious standardizing of terms purpose and also as a review/learning tool. It's also another impressive looking page I can show n00bs who doubt Smash's depth.

A Couple Potential Fixes:

- If I'm not mistaken, Shield Poke could use an *excluding Yoshi tag, since he's always totally covered by the egg (unless I'm just wrongfully assuming that).

- Is Yoshi's Power Shield an exception to the stated rules in any way? Maybe I just heard an off rumor, idk.

- The Shield Daze description still says that struggle inputs make the daze last longer. I get that the damage/stun time relationship is wonky, but skimming the thread it looks like the struggle input/stun time relationship is actually still a typo on the Term List.

- Nit Picky Grammar "Missed Tech [Universal] - The action of missing the teching window to late or entirely not inputting a tech. You then land on the ground and entering flopping animation." (sorry, I edit a wiki, I feel compelled to point out these things)

Keep up the great work Smash Lab!

TriforceOSM

Smash Cadet
@B.A.M/CJ

Actually a true pivot is buffering a turn around while the start-up animation for the fox-trot, or second initiated dash is still up. DDP is buffering a dash attack on the start-up animation. The inputs are the same, but notice that you have to press the inputs much faster for the true pivot. If you airdodge and tap in the opposite direction before you hit the ground, then you will turn around; but if you do it right before you touch the ground, then you'll dash. The true pivot has to be done quicker, because you have to tap in the opposite direction before the start-up animation ends.

Fierce Deku

Smash Cadet
Hrm, trying to wrap my head around all this Dash Dance Pivot stuff.

@B.A.M.
@CJ
Dash Dance Pivot is basically initiating a dash dance (under your terminology) at the end of a dash.
A normal Dash Dance is a series of alternating left/right Initial Dashes, each starting at the end (or middle or whenever) of the previous Initial Dash. Are you saying that the Dash Dance Pivot is going directly from a full on Running state (like if you've been holding left for a couple seconds) into a Dash Dance?

Pivot (Dash Pivot, Run Pivot) [Universal] - The state in which one changes directions out of a run. After the successful turnaround the character will run again. Can be cancelled into any control stick movement and jump.
^Is a Dash Dance Pivot one of these, canceled into an Initial Dash (which you can of course Dash Dance out of)?

@TriforceOSM
No offense Triforce, but I think you're talking about something else:
@B.A.M/CJ
Actually a true pivot is buffering a turn around while the start-up animation for the fox-trot, or second initiated dash is still up.
I think what you're talking about is indeed a form of True Pivot, but more simply a True Pivot is canceling any Initial Dash into a regular turnaround animation. It doesn't have to be a Fox Trot or the second out of anything. It doesn't need to be buffered either (I'm not entirely certain that it can be, though my guess is that it can).

DDP is buffering a dash attack on the start-up animation.
I don't think an attack has anything to do with the "DDP" being discussed here.

The inputs are the same, but notice that you have to press the inputs much faster for the true pivot. If you airdodge and tap in the opposite direction before you hit the ground, then you will turn around; but if you do it right before you touch the ground, then you'll dash. The true pivot has to be done quicker, because you have to tap in the opposite direction before the start-up animation ends.
A True Pivot is done out of an Initial Dash. It is physically impossible to go directly from an air dodge or any aerial state into a True Pivot. You would have to land and start an Initial Dash first, even if only for a small number of frames.

I think what you are describing is air dodging into the ground, and buffering either an Initial Dash or a normal average turnaround animation (which would not be a True Pivot because you're not canceling from an Initial Dash into the turnaround).

Am I making any sense?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom