• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Smash Lab Standard Terms List 2.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

Isatis

If specified, this will repl[0x00000000]ce the
Premium
BRoomer
NNID
reverite
On behalf of the Smash Lab, we present an admittedly long overdue Standard Terms List 2.0. This was a collaborative effort involving almost every member in the Smash Lab, and those members no doubt had a helping hand in this. Of course, we will be doing minor tweaks by our members as we see fit for the next several days.

Discuss!

DeLux

Player that used to be Lux
Hooray

Fear the Platypus

After initial discussion dies down in a week or two, I figure we'll assign someone to forward any inquiries to at some point.

rPSIvysaur

[ɑɹsaɪ]
I'm so happy to see this released. :)

If anyone reading this notices anything wrong or missing, go ahead and tell us. If we cannot provide a reasonable answer about why the term is not on there, there is chance we may have missed it.

teluoborg

Smash Otter
Premium
NNID
teloutre
I don't want to be a party pooper but Dash attack and Boost Pivot grab are missing.

Other than that it's an amazing work from you science guys, it's the first time I've ever read about autolink angle. I wonder what moves have this property.

Poltergust

Smash Master
NNID
Poltergust
3DS FC
3609-1547-9922
A few corrections and notes:

-You should mention that Link, Toon Link, Lucas, and Samus cannot grab airborne people.
-Grab-armor is not universal; Olimar doesn't have any.
-You can make people go into a footstool animation while they are grabbing, too. I think it's also important to note that footstooling someone while they are in hitstun stops all knockback.
-I'm almost positive Zero Suit Samus has a wall-cling. You also forgot to mention that she has a crawl.
-Uh... I'm pretty sure super-armor and heavy-armor are not universal. Is that a work-in-progress?
-Glide tossing is not universal; Yoshi can't do it.
-I believe that Double-Jump Cancel Item Throw (DJCIT) is an important technique to mention since it applies to a few characters.
-You should make a note that Zero Suit Samus' n-air and Olimar's f-air, b-air, d-air, and u-air can clang with other moves.
-There's nothing on momentum-canceling. Did you intentionally exclude it?
-You should mention that Yoshi's powershield does not allow him to act out of it immediately; he still has to suffer through the shield-drop animation. Speaking of which, you should add shield-drops in general (and how characters can still spot-dodge during them).
-Perhaps you should mention how Jigglypuff's shield-break kills her unless there is a ceiling above her.

Other than that, this is great. Thanks! =D

rPSIvysaur

[ɑɹsaɪ]
A few corrections and notes:

-You should mention that Link, Toon Link, Lucas, and Samus cannot grab airborne people.
Technically untrue. It's just that of the grab collision bubbles, Link and Toon Link only of 1 of 3 that can grab aerial opponents and Samus only has 3/4 that can. Lucas just has a low to the ground grab.

-Perhaps you should mention how Jigglypuff's shield-break kills her unless there is a ceiling above her.
We did at first, but it really isn't it's own term. It's just Jigglypuff dying from a shield-break.

The rest is being fixed.

MK26

Smash Master
http://www.mediafire.com/?zj2oddmz0yy for ZSS fix!
wow

why did i learn stuff from this thread lol

but errors:

Platform Cancel [Universal] - Landing on a moving platform by holding down and inputting an aerial or airdodge while passing through it.
I always thought you platform canceled by letting go of down on the control stick while going through (or slightly below) the platform...at least, thats how ive always done it...
also mention that multijump characters cannot platform cancel (at least, i know kirby cant, but im not 100% sure about the others)

Shield Daze [Universal] - The state a character enters after their shield is broken and they hit the ground. The player is unable to control the character until the Shield Daze is finished or interrupted. Struggle inputs are accepted during this state to make the Shield Daze shorter. The Shield Daze also lasts for a shorter time as the damage of the victim increases.
<_<

EDIT: also, is [jumpname] a command everybody can use?

EDITEDIT: also, somethings wrong with the dacit entry, but i do not know what

Poltergust

Smash Master
NNID
Poltergust
3DS FC
3609-1547-9922
I always thought you platform canceled by letting go of down on the control stick while going through (or slightly below) the platform...at least, thats how ive always done it...
also mention that multijump characters cannot platform cancel (at least, i know kirby cant, but im not 100% sure about the others)
Oh, yeah. It's an alternate way to platform-cancel. I made a topic about it a couple of months ago, actually.

Grab-armor is universal to every character that has a grab. If Olimar had a grab, then you would be correct.
Don't argue semantics with me. For all intents and purposes, Olimar has a grab.

Dnyce

Smash Master
Don't argue semantics with me. For all intents and purposes, Olimar has a grab.
Perhaps you would like to give me the sub-action that shows Olimar having a grab? I've been looking for it for months and haven't seen any, but I figure I should take the opportunity of someone who knows more than me while I have the chance

Olimar does not have a grab. Pikmin do however (and they also have grab armor :awesome: ). I'm sure we wouldn't be having this argument if japan had kept the name "Pikmin and Olimar" instead of changing it to just "Olimar."

John12346

Smash Master
NNID
JohnNumbers
You should also add R.O.B.(Side B) and Kirby(dependent on if he ate Zelda) to "Reflection [Mario, Zelda, Fox, Falco, Wolf, Ness, Lucas, Pit]"

Also, why not add "Counter" to the list? Y'know, Marth, Ike, Lucario, Peach?

And "Floating" for Peach, I guess?

rPSIvysaur

[ɑɹsaɪ]
Character specific ATs and specials will be defined the Smash Lab character releases as they occur. Currently, Meta Knight is our current character being worked on.
The reflection part must have just been error, it will be added.

Yikarur

Smash Master
Yeah thanks for releasing this while I'm not at home for the whole weekend.
I could kick you in your *** right now.

3DS FC
5429-7210-5657
Can you guys create some kind of official terminology for moves that stun? Calling them "stuns" seems strange, since stun is a more blanket term.

Also, there should be some kind of definition for moves that come out as articles like zss' nair and fsmash.

Toomai

Smash Ace
Can you guys create some kind of official terminology for moves that stun? Calling them "stuns" seems strange, since stun is a more blanket term.
Might be a bit too late for that if "Stun" is the accepted term for "the hitbox effect that causes you to get put into shieldbreak mode". It's not too bad though, since I don't think "stun" by itself can mean anything else (that is, you need to specifiy it, like "shieldstun" or "hitstun").

Unless you're talking about the Paralyze effect that ZSS's d-smash uses.
Also, there should be some kind of definition for moves that come out as articles like zss' nair and fsmash.
Not sure why we need that.

TriforceOSM

Smash Cadet
I think you should mention the characters that have hurtboxes that turn into hitboxes when an attack is executed. Like Snake's B-air and R.O.B's B-air. Their whole hurtbox becomes a hitbox when these attacks are used. Not really sure if their whole hurtbox becomes a hitbox or if the hitbox just covers the characters hurtbox, because both R.O.B and Snake can hit with their whole bodies when using one of these attacks.

rPSIvysaur

[ɑɹsaɪ]
I think you should mention the characters that have hurtboxes that turn into hitboxes when an attack is executed. Like Snake's B-air and R.O.B's B-air. Their whole hurtbox becomes a hitbox when these attacks are used. Not really sure if their whole hurtbox becomes a hitbox or if the hitbox just covers the characters hurtbox, because both R.O.B and Snake can hit with their whole bodies when using one of these attacks.
Hurtboxes cannot become hitboxes. The hurtboxes still exist, but the hitboxes just cover a large amount of the hurtbox.

JonathantheMeSa

Smash Journeyman
Shield Daze [Universal] - The state a character enters after their shield is broken and they hit the ground. The player is unable to control the character until the Shield Daze is finished or interrupted. Struggle inputs are accepted during this state to make the Shield Daze longer. The Shield Daze also lasts for a shorter time as the damage of the victim increases.

Am I really confused or is this the exact opposite?

JonathantheMeSa

Smash Journeyman
Oh.... never knew that before, useful. Oh and what are 'struggle' inputs?

Edit: Okay just read what they are and that's what I assumed they were.... So if you mash when your shield was broken it takes longer to recover from the stun?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom